mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Front shock or brake?

Was out on a ride yesterday and about half way through the ride i noticed a bad vibration/shuddering coming from the front wheel. Once i got back on the pavement I played around with it and when i hit the front brake at low speeds when very little weight is over the handle bars the front end shudders and makes a horrible sound. it almost feels like the front shock broken. there is no structural damage on the outside and my brake pads are fine and it stops but it makes a horrible noise and there is really bad shaking from the wheel.

I have a 2010 stumpy fsr comp..... any ideas from anyone?

What could go wrong ...
    "when i hit the front brake at low speeds when very little weight is over the handle bars the front end shudders"

did you check the headset ... it might be loose
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    try sanding the brake pad and rotors. Might be some residue on either that is causing the vibration. Also, check the alignment of the caliper. I doubt its the shock. I had a similar issue awhile back with my Elixir 5's and by changing to organic pads it seemed to help.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    headset is tight and intact (as far as i can tell) ... shuddering is coming from wheel area... brake seems to be working fine but noisy as hell and the vibration is dangerous almost ate it coming down from a drop off into a wash... kinda feels like the shock is coming apart inside...

Meatbomb
    Since it's a 2010 bike I'd assume whatever the issue is it should be covered under warranty.. Take it to your LBS.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Is brake caliper tight? Double check those bolts and the rotor bolts. Maybe the rotor is cracked near the mounting bolts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    try sanding the brake pad and rotors. Might be some residue on either that is causing the vibration. Also, check the alignment of the caliper. I doubt its the shock. I had a similar issue awhile back with my Elixir 5's and by changing to organic pads it seemed to help.
    Regarding my Elixir 3Rs, some dudes on the trail advised me to switch to Kool Stop brake pads composite to stop the shuddering sound from the front end. Organics have better power, but don't last as long - I've been told by my LBS. I've continued using the stock pads on the front, just ignoring the waffling, buffering sound bc performance was not an issue.