Free Ride at Hawes- Mtbr.com
    My other ride is your mom

Free Ride at Hawes

So......I ve been frequenting an area out in the Hawes area for a long time....lets say I have a vested interest in the area. And I went out there today for the first time in a few weeks and was shocked to find that someone has TRENCHED the area in a freeride, fall-line ride.....has cut back vegetation and has otherwise had a kick-arse time.

The fresh trench in the alluvial, decomposed granite soil is 3-4 inches deep. I'm quite certain you had fun on that run....less so the second person....and even less so the third.....etc. I've found flags out there....and each time I find them, I tear them down. I break your cairn's down each time. Your dog here won't hunt...its good for a run or two...but you ruin it for others for a very, very long time.

It's unsustainable in the most unsustainable fashion. The fact that you cut back a palo verde and threw it off to the side is a bummer.....

I'm all for having a good time.....and I can see you had yours. But ask yourself....was it worth it? Will it be worth it in the future, now that you've channelized your run and when the winter rains come, it will gully out?

I realize that I'm a tempestuous character on this board from time to time (that's intellectual code for....I'm an [email protected]@hole)...I like my White Russians and I like to chastise....it's my greatest fault. But I say this in no uncertain terms....what you have done leaves an ugly mark out there.

When I originally found this spot, I could tell that someone had been out there a few rainy seasons before but had abandoned it....because they realized it was not worth the effort.....not worth the hike and quickly run out. I hope you realize the same very soon.
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 11-18-2012 at 08:55 AM.

sandbagger
    ive been out there lately and havent seen this, upper hawes i assume ? or off the mine?
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by airmiller44 View Post
    ive been out there lately and havent seen this, upper hawes i assume ? or off the mine?
    off twisted sister, heading northish. but ive seen similar BS trails coming down off mine towards the east.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

sandbagger
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    off twisted sister, heading northish. but ive seen similar BS trails coming down off mine towards the east.

Yeah i saw that one, didnt look too tore up but could tell someone went down it to the wash area. The back side of the mine is more fun then that anyways!
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

dirt visionary
    Sucky to hear ..As if there isn't anything to ride near by That crap might explain the sore mood of our point contact in the mesa district..Everytime we try to get things rolling other dippy do's go off tearing up more desert.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    So we got one group creating stupid trails, another that likes to move all the embedded rocks off the trail, and others that like to cut straight lines on nice turny downhills. On the flip side, it could be a lot worse.

I saw a pretty cool sign. I was thinking about something similar for Hawse. The area is not hard to ride, so I would tame it down on that aspect. Also add a note about not creating any new trails and staying on the trail/no corner cutting.

I would get them laminated and staple them to the sign posts. Also thought about staking a ways in near entry points. Maybe that would be over kill.

Thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Free Ride at Hawes-no-trail-mod-sign.jpg  

Last edited by SugarHigh; 11-19-2012 at 07:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently discovered the golden find known as Hawes trail. Some of the funnest riding I have done out here in the valley. Been taking hawes in till mine and twisted sister meet up, and loop back through what I think was the saguaro trail.

#backToTopic - I will be out there again this Wednesday and will keep an eye out for flags, off trail riding, or shenanigans of any sort.
    "This fish who keeps on swimming, is the first to chill upstream" - 311

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm surprised there isn't some dust ordinance applied to mountain bikes out there yet....
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    I'm surprised there isn't some dust ordinance applied to mountain bikes out there yet....
    we can all do our part by regular urinating

Members who have read this thread: 0