mtbr member

No good Freaking Cagers (grrrrr)

Some cagers really suck!

SF Cyclists Hit In Apparent RampageSAN FRANCISCO (BCN) ―
    San Francisco Police investigating one of the hit and runs Wednesday night.
    CBS

A manhunt was underway in San Francisco as police searched for the suspect in an apparent hit-and-run rampage in the Mission and Potrero Hill Wednesday night, a police spokeswoman said.

The driver of a blue Nissan Rogue struck four male bicyclists in six minutes, injuring three, in what San Francisco police Lt. Lyn Tomioka said is being treating as an aggravated assault.

Tomioka said it appears the male driver targeted the bicyclists at four different locations.

"He changed lanes in traffic, he went on the wrong side of the street," Tomioka said. "Witnesses said he was driving to try and hit the bicyclists."

Tomioka said the crashes happened in the 2700 block of Harrison Street, the 2800 block of Harrison Street, at the intersection of 23rd and Pennsylvania streets, and at 17th and Missouri streets.

Police received the initial report of the collision on the 2700 block of Harrison Street at 9:43 p.m., and the next incident followed shortly thereafter as the four-door sedan weaved its way down Harrison, she said.

After the vehicle struck the fourth victim at 17th Street and Missouri Street at 9:49 p.m., the suspect crashed the vehicle into a pole and fled on foot, Tomioka said.

Tomioka said officers were searching the area for the suspect, who is only described as a white male, and for additional witnesses.

A fire dispatcher said emergency crews responded to the collisions at about 9:45 p.m.

Three of the victims had non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to the hospital, she said. A fourth was treated at the scene.

All of the victims were expected to survive, Tomioka said.

Bicycle advocates said they hope this incident will highlight the need for mutual respect from all road users.

"I hope that those responsible will be brought to justice for this horrific and senseless attack," said Marc Caswell, a program manager with the 11,000-member San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.

"We will continue our work to make the streets of San Francisco a place where everyone feels safe," Caswell said.

mtbr member
    Cagers?

Meatbomb
    People in cars.... I believe the term was coined by motorcyclist.

"No Clue Crew"
    I think this has nothing to do with "cagers."
    This guy is just a psycho.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    psycho cager............

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    really? not too many people who cycle bully riders just cause they are bigger (dhr's excluded )
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    This guy is just a psycho.
    I’ll dole out a little mea culpa on myself for posting irrational irritation. In a way, I’m no better than the four wheeled chumps that emotionally posted their disgust on the article’s comment section.

Looking at some of the comment boards after a tragic situation like this I've noticed that sadly this psychosis isn't all that uncommon.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I hate reading the comments sections of those articles.
    mike

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    really? not too many people who cycle bully riders just cause they are bigger (dhr's excluded )

You lost me on this one.

banned
    You lost me on this one.
    Some people like to make fun of DH'ers because a few of them are a little overweight. Gear makes you look a little poofy, but I only seen a handful that could be considered legitimately obese. Roadies on the other hand... I seen a bunch of porkers with butts big enough for billboard real estate. They have cankles too, which allows them to jump the chain to a new gear without shifters.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Some people like to make fun of DH'ers because a few of them are a little overweight. Gear makes you look a little poofy, but I only seen a handful that could be considered legitimately obese. Roadies on the other hand... I seen a bunch of porkers with butts big enough for billboard real estate. They have cankles too, which allows them to jump the chain to a new gear without shifters.
    ok my bad - trying to be witty and it not working. i'm just poking fun (badly) at how everyone says dhrs run em off the trail. Most of the many people on this board who are DHr I enjoy riding with and know take great pains to be considerate, as do i when i do the dh trails.

what i meant was...I commute and roadie and ride roads with my kids blah blah blah and $h!t you see cars do cause they are rude and in a hurry and know that you will have to stop simply does not ever happen with the same frequency as when you are driving. and i *know* that everyone who rides is especially tuned into to cyclists and not pulling that crap. hence, yeah, its all about being someone who has never ridden -- ie a cager -- when this sort of BS happens. as well as generally being a d!ck.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

slow and whiney
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    what i meant was...I commute and roadie and ride roads with my kids blah blah blah and $h!t you see cars do cause they are rude and in a hurry and know that you will have to stop simply does not ever happen with the same frequency as when you are driving.
    I avoid riding a bicycle on the road as much as possible. I've been riding motorcycles on AZ streets for 12 years, and am amazed at what "normal" people will do from behind the wheel of a car, regardless of the high risk of death and dismemberment. I once had a b1tch pull out in front of me from a side street, then after I panic braked and locked the front AND rear (Harleys have terrible weight transfer) and slid around to keep from plowing into her, she looked right at me and gave me the finger. A couple months ago, my brother was knocked off his motorcycle on the 101 by an idiot who lost control of his car while failing to renegotiate an attempt at aborting an offramp, instead spinning 360 degrees back into oncoming traffic. My bro's bike hit the FRONT of his car, ripping the front bumper off. My bro was fully geared up, incredibly lucky to not be subsequently run over as he ragdolled down the freeway, did look up and see the driver look right at him before taking off. Luckily a witness followed him and got his plate. He turned himself in an hour or so later, but claims that he didn't hit anyone. His bumper is at the wrecking yard with my brother's bike.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...I clicked the link fully expecting that the OP had horribly misspelled "******* Cougars (rawr)." The linked article wasn't what I was hoping for at all.

Indeed, the comments are a bit disturbing:

First - I agree - no reason EVER to run people down. That is flat out wrong and the driver should get what's coming to him. HOWEVER [...] cyclists are indeed rude everywhere I've seen them...
    That right there's the awesome mystical power of "however." Yep, that's what I got from that story about a psycho running down 4 cyclists, too. He shouldn't have done it, but it was, at least in part, ultimately the cyclists' fault, cause everyone on two wheels is rude. Or at least has the potential to be rude.

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    ROTFLMAO! This thread really shifted gears. Cankles rule!

mtbr member
    In other Bay Area cyclist hate crime news...

Man Charged With Attacking Cyclists In Berkeley
    CBS 5 CrimeWatchBERKELEY (BCN) ― .

A man suspected of attacking bicyclists with a handsaw in the hills above the University of California at Berkeley campus pleaded not guilty to assault and vandalism charges in Alameda County Superior Court Thursday.

Michael Vandeman, 67, who has a website dedicated to environmental activism with an anti-bicyclist bent, was arrested Friday in connection with an attack about six weeks ago on the Strawberry Canyon Fire Trail near campus, UC Berkeley police Lt. Alex Yao said.

Yao said Vandeman approached two male bicyclists who were riding west on the trail and cut one of the victims across the chest with a handsaw. The victim suffered minor injuries.

The victims asked why he had attacked them, and Vandeman allegedly told them they should not be riding their bicycles on the trail, police said.

The victims eventually identified Vandeman from a photograph, and he was arrested Friday after admitting to holding a saw in front of bicyclists and touching one of them with it, according to Yao.

Additional charges may be sought against Vandeman for similar incidents on the trail, including one reported on May 6.

Yao said Vandeman is not currently affiliated with the university.

He appeared in court with his attorney this morning and pleaded not guilty to felony assault and misdemeanor vandalism charges, according to the Alameda County District Attorney's Office.

District attorney's office spokeswoman Teresa Drenick said the assault charge is related to an April 18 incident and the vandalism charge stems from an incident on June 19, 2009.

Vandeman's bail has been set at $12,500.

On Vandeman's website, http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande, he describes himself as a computer programmer who got his bachelor's degree in mathematics from UC Berkeley and later received a Ph.D. in psychology from University of California at Los Angeles.

The website includes letters dating as far back as the 1990s that Vandeman claims he sent to various elected officials, local environmental groups and media outlets in the East Bay that called for the restriction of bikes to paved roads.

One letter, sent to the East Bay Regional Parks District in 2002, complains that it is "very hazardous and unpleasant...to suddenly try to share narrow paths with large, fast-moving pieces of machinery."

UC Berkeley police are still seeking information about other possible incidents involving Vandeman. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Police Department's criminal investigation bureau at (510) 642-0472 or (510) 642-6760.

mtbr member
    Here's another one, local this time, from the financially troubled AZ Republic.
    It seems the bike was at fault...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...hurt-abrk.html

Braaaapp!
    Here's a scary one from Phoenix. Not bicycles, but their 2 wheeled cousins.

The short version, bikes stopped at a light, dump truck driver on meth plows into the back of them. 4 killed, 5 seriously injured. Horrible.

http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/...fety-officials
    http://www.clutchandchrome.com/news/...rcycle-tragedy
    "It was like a German, techno-weird, acid trip." - The Hoff -

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am happy to see they finally got Vandeman for something.

Him (and LIBERATOR aka Liberace) are the main reason I quit reading alt.Mountain-bike on usenet

OFS
    Old Fat & Slow
    Nov 2007

Cagers?

Coming a day after the Suns lost to the Lakers, I could have sworn this was going to be about basketball. I'm almost relieved that its about the endless Bike/Car controversy.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by WaylonMcFlailin
    I avoid riding a bicycle on the road as much as possible. I've been riding motorcycles on AZ streets for 12 years, and am amazed at what "normal" people will do from behind the wheel of a car, regardless of the high risk of death and dismemberment. I once had a b1tch pull out in front of me from a side street, then after I panic braked and locked the front AND rear (Harleys have terrible weight transfer) and slid around to keep from plowing into her, she looked right at me and gave me the finger. A couple months ago, my brother was knocked off his motorcycle on the 101 by an idiot who lost control of his car while failing to renegotiate an attempt at aborting an offramp, instead spinning 360 degrees back into oncoming traffic. My bro's bike hit the FRONT of his car, ripping the front bumper off. My bro was fully geared up, incredibly lucky to not be subsequently run over as he ragdolled down the freeway, did look up and see the driver look right at him before taking off. Luckily a witness followed him and got his plate. He turned himself in an hour or so later, but claims that he didn't hit anyone. His bumper is at the wrecking yard with my brother's bike.
    Timely.
    I'm on the tail-end of a move, and yesterday I came across my box of riding clothes; you know, way too many Harley shirts collected from all over the country in my travels. Boots. Leathers. Skid Lid. It made me nostalgic for the Fatboy I sold 19 months ago, and as I stood there fondling the boots, I started to feel those old pangs to twist the wick again.

Reading what you just wrote was a good reminder of why Arizona quashed my love of riding my Harley, and why I decided to sell it. Ironically, and in typical CoyoteKismet fashion, I sell the motorcycle for safety's sake, and buy a road bike with the profit! Yay! Now I'm SAFE! Ha... At least had the option to throttle out!!

At any rate, glad your brother is okay. I can't believe he made it out of that alive. The 101 makes me antsy, even when caged.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    Some cagers really suck!

SF Cyclists Hit In Apparent RampageSAN FRANCISCO (BCN) ―
    CBS

A manhunt was underway in San Francisco as police searched for the suspect in an apparent hit-and-run rampage in the Mission and Potrero Hill Wednesday night, a police spokeswoman said.

The driver of a blue Nissan Rogue struck four male bicyclists in six minutes, injuring three, in what San Francisco police Lt. Lyn Tomioka said is being treating as an aggravated assault.

Tomioka said it appears the male driver targeted the bicyclists at four different locations.

"He changed lanes in traffic, he went on the wrong side of the street," Tomioka said. "Witnesses said he was driving to try and hit the bicyclists."

Tomioka said the crashes happened in the 2700 block of Harrison Street, the 2800 block of Harrison Street, at the intersection of 23rd and Pennsylvania streets, and at 17th and Missouri streets.

Police received the initial report of the collision on the 2700 block of Harrison Street at 9:43 p.m., and the next incident followed shortly thereafter as the four-door sedan weaved its way down Harrison, she said.

After the vehicle struck the fourth victim at 17th Street and Missouri Street at 9:49 p.m., the suspect crashed the vehicle into a pole and fled on foot, Tomioka said.

Tomioka said officers were searching the area for the suspect, who is only described as a white male, and for additional witnesses.

A fire dispatcher said emergency crews responded to the collisions at about 9:45 p.m.

Three of the victims had non-life-threatening injuries and were taken to the hospital, she said. A fourth was treated at the scene.

All of the victims were expected to survive, Tomioka said.

Bicycle advocates said they hope this incident will highlight the need for mutual respect from all road users.

"I hope that those responsible will be brought to justice for this horrific and senseless attack," said Marc Caswell, a program manager with the 11,000-member San Francisco Bicycle Coalition.

"We will continue our work to make the streets of San Francisco a place where everyone feels safe," Caswell said.
    We rode the cruisers to My Big Fat Greek Restaurant yesterday. We had to cross two major streets via the cross walk. Both times, you'd think we kicked a driver's dog as they tried to turn right, and had to wait for us to cross the street. Come on bozos....you're in an ACed car, I'm on a bike, and it's 100 degrees out. You can't wait 20 seconds to let us cross the street?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Disgruntled Peccary
    I had some putz lay on the horn as he sat behind me for over a block to turn right the other morning.. and I was in the bike/bus lane.. wtf?!

on the other hand, this morning's ride (in a more rural area) had a guy and his wife slow down while I was adjusting my shoe (didn't even hear em back there) and gimme about 15' of room when they passed I blame city-folk
    mike

mtbr member
    Arrest In Vehicle Rampage On SF Bicyclists
    SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) ―

[

San Francisco police released the name of the 39-year-old suspect arrested for a series of hit-and-run attacks that injured four male bicyclists Wednesday night.

Police Officer Samson Chan said early Saturday morning that David Mark Clark of Albany had been booked at the San Francisco County Jail on numerous felony charges - four counts each of attempted murder, aggravated assault and hit-and-run resulting in injury.

The motive was still not known, Chan said.

The four bicyclists were all struck within a six-minute period between 9:43 p.m. and 9:49 p.m. in the city's Mission and Potrero Hill neighborhoods.

Three of the victims, men of ages ranging from the 20s to 40s, were hospitalized. One who had been listed in critical condition was upgraded Friday to serious, San Francisco General Hospital spokeswoman Rachael Kagan said Friday. The other two remain in serious and fair condition, she said.

The bicyclists were hit by a blue Nissan Rogue sport-utility vehicle in the 2700 block of Harrison Street, in the 2800 block of Harrison Street, at the intersection of 23rd and Pennsylvania streets and at 17th and Missouri streets, according to police.

After the last collision, the Rogue crashed into a parked car and hit a pole. The driver, described only as a white male, then got out and ran.

Police have said that based on accounts of the victims and of witnesses, it appeared the bicyclists were deliberately targeted.

According to some accounts, the suspect was seen driving on the wrong side of the road and the car's engine was roaring as it came at the bicyclist, according to Sgt. Jon Kasper, an investigator in the case.

Gascon said the four bicyclists had been "basically mowed down."

Investigators at the scene of the final attack found a wallet and keys belonging to the registered owner of the Nissan Rogue inside the car, as well as a cell phone, according to Kasper.

Police attempted to track the owner down, but found he had moved from the address listed for the vehicle and were unable to reach him by phone, Kasper said.

The case broke earlier on Friday when the man went to the Albany Police Department to report his vehicle had been stolen in a carjacking in San Francisco.

Police determined his account to be a lie and he was arrested at the police department around 1 p.m., Kasper said.

Prosecutors will review the case for charging early next week, according to the district attorney's office.

Mayor Gavin Newsom and the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition have condemned the attacks, noting ongoing efforts to make San Francisco one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country.

Members who have read this thread: 0