Fox TRIAD losing oil- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,357

    Fox TRIAD losing oil

    My rear Fox TRIAD shock is losing oil and it appears to be coming out of the rebound adjustment knob. Is this something a LBS can fix or will I need to send it in?

    Any recommendation for a shop that does good shock work ?


    I store the bike upside down and there is a good size puddle of oil on the ground and the underside of the seat.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 05-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.

  2. #2
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    push industries, fast and reliable or hippie tech I think does fox too.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  3. #3
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,357
    push might be reliable but does not appear to be fast ... i looked at their site and they will not schedule anything before 6/13.

  4. #4
    Explore More
    Reputation: DesertDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    My rear Fox TRIAD shock is losing oil and it appears to be coming out of the rebound adjustment knob. Is this something a LBS can fix or will I need to send it in?

    Any recommendation for a shop that does good shock work ?


    I store the bike upside down and there is a good size puddle of oil on the ground and the underside of the seat.

    Only time I ever had this issue was when my Triad became 'stuck down'. Fluid leaked, and really badly when I tried to pump up the shock (which was before I realized it had the stuck down problem. Originally thought it had just lost air.) No problems at all after doing the rebuild.

    Just got a kit from a shop and did the rebuild myself. Fox has documentation and a video on the rebuild procedures. Not hard to do the rebuild, just be sure to secure the shock so the body doesn't fly off when you pop the seal!

    I'm sure there is a seal in the rebound assembly, but it doesn't come with the Triad rebuild kit.

    May just want to try releasing all the air from the shock, then cycling around both the rebound adjustment and Closed/Open/Pro adjustment a couple times, then refill the shock. Might allow the release of pressure and reseating of the seal?

    Really not too much to those shocks, so I wouldn't imagine it would be much of a problem for a shop to fix it if you needed to take it in.

    A few pics from the project:

    1 Stuck down

    2 In the vice

    3 The guts

    4 The kit

    5 Back in business
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fox TRIAD losing oil-dscn2034.jpg  

    Fox TRIAD losing oil-dscn2037.jpg  

    Fox TRIAD losing oil-dscn2038.jpg  

    Fox TRIAD losing oil-dscn2039.jpg  

    Fox TRIAD losing oil-dscn2044.jpg  


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
    Only time I ever had this issue was when my Triad became 'stuck down'. Fluid leaked, and really badly when I tried to pump up the shock (which was before I realized it had the stuck down problem. Originally thought it had just lost air.) No problems at all after doing the rebuild.

    Just got a kit from a shop and did the rebuild myself. Fox has documentation and a video on the rebuild procedures. Not hard to do the rebuild, just be sure to secure the shock so the body doesn't fly off when you pop the seal!

    I'm sure there is a seal in the rebound assembly, but it doesn't come with the Triad rebuild kit.

    May just want to try releasing all the air from the shock, then cycling around both the rebound adjustment and Closed/Open/Pro adjustment a couple times, then refill the shock. Might allow the release of pressure and reseating of the seal?

    Really not too much to those shocks, so I wouldn't imagine it would be much of a problem for a shop to fix it if you needed to take it in.

    A few pics from the project:

    1 Stuck down

    2 In the vice

    3 The guts

    4 The kit

    5 Back in business
    Thats fine for rebuilding just the "Air Sleeve"---------where Philbo's shock is leaking is internally from the main shock body oil.
    Yes there are several seals that get worn out-( as well as other pieces ) , one does seal the rebound pin and adjuster from leaking the pressurized oil out.

    The main body of the shock has 300 psi of nitrogen below the floating piston , this is added and removed with a needle adaptor , if you do not know what you are doing you will hurt yourself.
    And you need to know where to get parts, how to bleed the shock, set the floating piston height and refill the nitrogen pressure .

    I do suspension work and can rebuild this , but if you do not understand suspension please do not try this yourself

  6. #6
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,357
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post

    I do suspension work and can rebuild this:

    Do you work for a LBS?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Do you work for a LBS?
    I have my own shop , I do alot of engine and suspension work for several MX and SX teams as well as suspension work for bicycle shops , If you want I can re-build that shock for you 480-926-1984

  8. #8
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,357
    Cool.. I'll PM for additional info.

  9. #9
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,136
    Bump... Phillbo, did you send your shock to kelstr? Results?

  10. #10
    Low speed, High Drag
    Reputation: kevhogaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Bump... Phillbo, did you send your shock to kelstr? Results?
    I'd also like to know how this tur.ned out, as my fork and shock may need some work, too.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.