parenting for gnarness

Fox RLC 100 question

The controls at the top of my Fox RLC 100 started jangling around. I took off the top at home and found that the set screws on the lockout lever are missing. See the pics here:

couple things I noticed taking it apart: without the set screws, the top assembly wont sit down snugly (jangles), unless I turn the rebound nob all the way down which I don't want to do. Annoying, but I can live with it...

Things still felt a little squirrely, so I let all the air out of the fork to see how the compression felt - it won't compress the last inch of the stanchions. Dumb question, but is that normal? Should a fork go all the way to the top of its stanchions? Maybe I just need to get all the compression\rebounds etc. set back up right?

manual here
    https://service.foxracingshox.com/co...RLC_F80RLC.htm

thanks!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I know on some forks especially the oem's there is an additional spacer to limit the travel to a certain amount, ie the 120RL on my stumpjumper had a spacer that could be removed to increase the travel to 130mm vs the 120.. Also if you bought this used the previous rider may have shortened the travel by doing this as well.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    The controls at the top of my Fox RLC 100 started jangling around. I took off the top at home and found that the set screws on the lockout lever are missing. See the pics here:

couple things I noticed taking it apart: without the set screws, the top assembly wont sit down snugly (jangles), unless I turn the rebound nob all the way down which I don't want to do. Annoying, but I can live with it...

Things still felt a little squirrely, so I let all the air out of the fork to see how the compression felt - it won't compress the last inch of the stanchions. Dumb question, but is that normal? Should a fork go all the way to the top of its stanchions? Maybe I just need to get all the compression\rebounds etc. set back up right?

manual here
    https://service.foxracingshox.com/co...RLC_F80RLC.htm

thanks!
    Just get new set screws, ---( actually I believe I have several from re-build kits )---
    The assembly really works nice with the set screwes tightened just right, ----there has to be locktight on these to hold them in place , ----because they do not get bottomed, they hang in the middle to hold the lock lever just snug but still let it turn .

and yes the fork more than likley has a restricter stuck on the rod limiting travel , -----I leave these out generally .

also on the bottom of the rebound rod ( the rod goes compleatly through the fork to the bottom )---------there is a long screw that will come out and also restrict travel .

These suspension componets should be taken apart aften and serviced for the best action and life.

I take mine apart ( shock and fork ) all the time on all my bikes and keep everthing fresh.
    makes a big difference

Members who have read this thread: 0