My other ride is your mom

Four Peaks on a hot spring day

I'm taking a que from DurtGurl and posting some pics up on this board for a distraction away from the smart-alek threads which have been numerous lately.....a part I play large in since I've found myself unemployed....not that I have not been riding, but I've been busy in other, snowbound, endeavors.

For the narration, you'll still have to check my post out on my blog....I'm not as fancy as others who can post narration and pictures in the same thread.......order of pictures dictates the order I took them in. I do have to note: After being born to this state, much less PHX......this is my first time up Four-Peaks.....ever.....I realized this with a sense of shame as I rode back down. I will be back.

Beeline Hwy to Wilderness boundary on Four Peaks Ride
    37 miles
    5561ft gained
    5:05 total time
    4:19 moving time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Peaks on a hot spring day-01_long_way_up.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-02_big_saguaro.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-03_tombstone_ridge.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-04_1st_water.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-05_5_footer.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-06_looming.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-07_looking-down.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-08_looking-forward.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-09_new-generation.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-10_daturia.jpg  

Last edited by Maadjurguer; 05-19-2010 at 06:19 PM.

more pics continued:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Peaks on a hot spring day-11_pano.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-12_2nd-water.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-13_fauna_change.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-14_down_there.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-15_conifers.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-16_10_more.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-17_az_trail.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-18_roosevelt.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-19_brown.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-20_down.jpg  

last two pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Four Peaks on a hot spring day-21_weavers.jpg  

Four Peaks on a hot spring day-22_profile.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    that is a fat snake!

are you sure about the vf? ive clocked that ride about 4k up and 1k down.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

wrecking crew
    Nice, Maad. Jeff and I were discussing that the 4Peaks ride would be a nice leg burner. Lots of non-tech climbing but a great leg/lung workout. Nice pics too! I noticed the Datura were flowering on our CK ride last Friday.
    ~~~

That snake was ~5 ft in length.....as for the vf....I guess I need help typing....does 5561 sound better? I glanced at the topfusion readout of the climbing analysis and read the wrong line.....if I were not so deyhydrated and drunk from "blogging about my radness", I would have realized that my pre-route said it was ~5k.....still, your 4k sounds low to me.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    That snake was ~5 ft in length.....as for the vf....I guess I need help typing....does 5561 sound better? I glanced at the topfusion readout of the climbing analysis and read the wrong line.....if I were not so deyhydrated and drunk from "blogging about my radness", I would have realized that my pre-route said it was ~5k.....still, your 4k sounds low to me.
    its been a few yrs, but my logs had 4k on the ascent and 1k on the descent. I started from the parking coral about a mile off B-Line.

SuLing - if you go, DO NOT go on a weekend. I'd suggest even avoiding Fridays. gobs of motorized traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    its been a few yrs, but my logs had 4k on the ascent and 1k on the descent. I started from the parking coral about a mile off B-Line.

SuLing - if you go, DO NOT go on a weekend. I'd suggest even avoiding Fridays. gobs of motorized traffic.
    @cholla....hrmmmm, I guess I don't know enough about how topfusion computes the different numbers for vf gained to comment any further, other than to say that when I digitize the route in topofusion, I get roughly the same vf as what I had on my garmin which uses a barometric pressure guage (+-500 vf).....begs the question as to who is sandbagging whom!

SuLing - I took Cholla's advice and went in the middle of the week. I encountered 5 4wd vehicles, 1 Camery, 4 moto riders and one ORV....everyone was super nice and even stopped short of me as I was climbing so I would not suck on dust......I've never seen that happen before. I can only guess how the weekend traffic would be......

parenting for gnarness
    attached the last gpx i could find for this ride, remove the .doc extension. tuff day anyway you slice it. i dont think i wanna ride with you any more, i cant take the humiliation.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Kathleen in AZ
    Nice ride report Maad! thanks for the pixels

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    attached the last gpx i could find for this ride, remove the .doc extension. tuff day anyway you slice it. i dont think i wanna ride with you any more, i cant take the humiliation.

BTW....when I open up your gpx that you provided within TopoFusion....I get 5600vf.....I think you're the sandbagger!!!!

Still, it confirms my number give or take a few.....you've been sandbagging yourself.

parenting for gnarness
    i think you stole my custom user title.

thats ok....you'll always beat me on any power ride.....I'm more of an all day kind of guy.

livin' the dream......
    very nice pics! strong work!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    @cholla....hrmmmm, I guess I don't know enough about how topfusion computes the different numbers for vf gained to comment any further, other than to say that when I digitize the route in topofusion, I get roughly the same vf as what I had on my garmin which uses a barometric pressure guage (+-500 vf).....begs the question as to who is sandbagging whom!

SuLing - I took Cholla's advice and went in the middle of the week. I encountered 5 4wd vehicles, 1 Camery, 4 moto riders and one ORV....everyone was super nice and even stopped short of me as I was climbing so I would not suck on dust......I've never seen that happen before. I can only guess how the weekend traffic would be......
    I got your BACK Maad.
    Somebody rode what you were on Saturday while you were doing Flagg to Sedona. 5718vf.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/33378987

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    great pix.

NardoSS
    Great pics, but why are you wearing shorts? ;-)

Sucks on Friday, Sat and Sunday due to motorized traffic. It was dangerous when last I did it a few years back, with all of the dirtbikes hauling butt on the blind turns up/down. Took a lot of the enjoyment out of it.

mtbr member
    Nice! I really like it up there.

Tucson, AZ
    but I will say that investigating how Topofusion computes the various elevations is something I need to do, since sandbagging is never cool..

Sandbagging is cool...great pics and write-up.

I said sandbagging is never cool....unless you're doing it to friends.....then it's "Game On".

As for why I'm wearing shorts....it's because I'm a bit insecure wearing my thong while riding.

Members who have read this thread: 1