Four Peaks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Four Peaks

mtbr member
    May 2011

Four Peaks

Is anyone planning a Four Peaks ride from the Beeline hwy to Roosevelt Lake and back? I know there were some who had a group ride last Spring. If you are could you post the dates and details. I was thinking about the first or second Saturday in October.

Tripolar on most days
    I don't know about the group but I may be down with doing it in that time frame. I would more then likely ride my cross bike though.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are.

mtbr member
    And that is how a group forms!!! I have never ridden around 4 peaks is there much more than that dirt rode from the beeline?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    might be interested. i have done it on my dirt bike and i could see the downhills being very fun and scary with all the utv's, jeeps, and quads.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    And that is how a group forms!!! I have never ridden around 4 peaks is there much more than that dirt rode from the beeline?
    nope. All dirt road. I feel like I've ridden that a dozen times this year, either preparing for the Whiskey or the Barn Burner.

mtbr member
    That was me, K3N, ssphoenix and a few others. I was just thinking about riding there today. I was planning on riding it several times in preparation for tour of
    The white mountains. Let me know if you want to join or need more info on the route.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    J, congrats on the Barn race. I though you were doing the duo with wify? Can I join the peaks group?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Consider me in for whenever this happens.

So, if it's Jeep roads should I ride my Cross Check with knobbies or my hardtail?

How many miles? Elevation? etc... are we talking?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    From 87 to 188 back to 87 is approximately 55 miles with ~10,500+ feet of elevation gain/climbing. I would be up for doing this ride. I don't know about going all the way to 188 due to the lack of drinking water along the route. I don't think I could carry enough to get me through the total distance. I would be game for going to the top. Anyone interested in doing this as a night ride??
    Last edited by ARIZycle; 08-29-2011 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am game for this, but I am pretty slow.

I can pitch in with an MSR pump to filter any water should there be a source. That'll make you guys hang back with the fat kid. lol

So that's 55 miles each way? I would be game to do it as a bikepacking trip... but I ain't doin 110 miles in one day. And even that 55 miles would probably take me a good while to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, I got this. lol

Is it really Jeep roads the whole way?

I say we get something going here. I am unemployed (recently moved here for wife's job) and have nothing better to do (except for applying to jobs that I won't get). lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    55 miles total distance from 87 to 188 back to 87. It could be a bit shorter depending on where you park.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Jeep roads the whole way

mtbr member
    Its 55 round trip from Beeline to 188 and somewhere above 8,000 vertical. If you get to the 188 and are a bit short on water for the return trip you can ride up to Tonto Basin, there's a gas station just a few miles up the road.

I'm down to ride it any weekend except the first one in September.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am game to ride it almost any time. Can't do the second weekend in September.

Maybe depending on how many people decide to go we can have an A group and a B group. I will likely bow out if everyone is really fast, because I would fel bad for slowing you guys up (or I would get lost if I got dropped, lol).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds like we have a solid interest. For those who have ridden 4Peaks in the past where do you usually meet? September 17 is a possibility and for sure October 15. Or just say the 3rd Saturday of every month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not saying it's a deal breaker, but New Belgium's Tour de Fat is in Tempe October 15... lots of bike folk (myself included) might be there for that.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks pointerDixie214 for sharing that info, I was worried that we might have some racing events over lap.

Meatbomb
    As far as a meeting place ... about a mile up the 4 peaks road is a HUGE staging area.. plenty of parking for a meeting spot.

mtbr member
    All that area and all they have is that main jeep road! What is involved in getting some riding trails in that area? I love that 4 peaks area. I wonder who we talk to about putting in some trails? Anyone with any experience getting approval for trails or the whole process?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    there is some really neat single track on the 4 peaks side and the sycamore side that i have ridden on my dirt bike. i am not sure what it would be like on a mtb bike but i think i am going to try it this winter. one of them connects to the ballentine trail, that is where i might start. what about the hiking trails on top, are we allowed to ride them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So when is this 4 Peaks ride happening?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Looks like any week but the first two in September...

What about September 17?

let's see how many people we get, and then maybe decide on one big group versus two groups (one A and one B).

mtbr member
    I may need a motor to keep up!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    I may need a motor to keep up!
    Not if I'm riding! lol

I used to think I was fast. Until I moved to AZ.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sept. 17 might work. I may try to do it the weekend earlier. I know this is conflicting with others, but I may just go alone if I have too. Is the plan to go to 188 and back? I am only going as far as the top of the road to the saddle. It is still too hot to be coming up the back side as late in the day as we would be this time of year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    btw, the back side is where you get the most bang for your buck on this ride. It never lets up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hmmm... maybe it would be better to give everyone more notice, and to let the weather cool off and do it around the beginning of October?

I am just throwing ideas out... this wasn't my idea, so I don't want to take over here, but I am excited about it and think we should get something going.

Ideally it won't continue to be 115 degrees every freaking day in a couple weeks. lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    First weekend in Oct. is the Tour of the White Mountains race. Maybe mid-Oct. would be better. Certainly better than mid-Sept.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Werks fer me. Just not 10/15 for me since Tour de Fat is that weekend...

but don't plan it just for me anyways...

What about 10/22? Any other bike stuff going on that weekend?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    10/22 sounds good to me. Not sure about any other bike stuff going on that weekend. I am gonna try to get out there possibly on Sept. 10 and ride to the saddle and back if anyone is interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'll mark 10/22 on my calender for now, but am open to other dates as people chime in...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    October 22 @ 8am works for me! Tell your friends and meet at the staging area mentioned by Philbo Post #19. I am slow, so if anyone wants to hang back with me thats cool!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The last time I was out there in April, the staging area was being used as a plant nursery. We may have to go up further a 1/2 mile or so to the next pull-out and ride from there.

mtbr member
    Heh, I thought you were referring to the Four Peaks Mother Lode hike in the superstitions, and thought, "there is NO WAY they could bike that hike!" A lot of it requires bouldering and using gps way points, as there is no actual trail for a good portion of it.

Have fun!
    Yeah, well, the Dude abides.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks ARIZycle for the update on the staging area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Anyone interested in doing a sat or sun 6am ride to the top of the saddle and back??

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Is this ride still happening on 10/22?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man, that date still works with me, but after experiencing 35 miles and 2,700 feet last weekend... not sure I can even complete this.

I will probably respectfully bow out so I don't ruin it for anyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Man, that date still works with me, but after experiencing 35 miles and 2,700 feet last weekend... not sure I can even complete this.

I will probably respectfully bow out so I don't ruin it for anyone else.
    You won't ruin it for anyone. It is an out and back ride so go as far as your comfortable then turn around. Most of it is downhill on the way back from the top of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Dammit. Alright.

But here's the problem. If I start it, I will finish it. No matter how bad it hurts. lol

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Is this still gonna happen? I just may join in on the hill climbing fun. The "nursery" is actually a parking lot now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am thinking I am likely out for now. I want to try it first by myself to see what it's like.

BTW- Nice meeting you tonight ARIZycle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I am thinking I am likely out for now. I want to try it first by myself to see what it's like.

BTW- Nice meeting you tonight ARIZycle.
    And nice to meet you also pD214. We have to get out and ride sometime.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Indeed.

They are marking the race course tomorrow... so it should be easy to follow backward on Wednesday if you're able.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Can't make this. I'm out.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Four Peaks MTB ride

I am not going to make Saturday's Four Peaks ride sorry just found out I will be out of town this weekend, are folks still planning on going? or is there a group that goes out to 4 Peaks monthly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    No this is not a monthly ride as far as I know. mtbkracr seems to be doing this ride a bunch though. We will have to reschedule this ride and do it in the near future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Brewery YES, ride NO...................................

mtbr member
    Thinking about doing a nice slow and steady non stop ride from beeline to the lake side and back Saturday morning, maybe 5-5.5 hours if anyone is interested.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Nobody wants to join me on the non stop express to Roosevelt lake and back????

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Hi J,
    I would definitely like to join but can't Saturday. Halloween party setup for me so I have to work. Nice riding with you the other day.

mtbr member
    Had a good ride Saturday. I ended up with 5:40 on the clock and 59 miles. I took it easy over the top and got to the 188 in 2:27. On the way back I rode an extra 4 miles to the lone pine trailhead and back and explored a little piece of moto trail that turned out to suck then rode all the way to the 87 and back to my truck. I saw one other guy riding to the top from the phoenix side when I was on my way back but that was it for cyclists.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Sounds like you had a great time, I will get out there in a couple weeks when I am back in town. Hopefully before snow falls.

mtbr member
    Time to resurrect this post. Doing 4peaks tomorrow. If anyone interested, should be a good 50+ miles. Did this ride 4 weeks ago but only to the top mostly because I froze my nuts off. This time I want to make it to the lake. About 10am should be nice and toasty by then to start.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Did 4peaks yesterday, first time didn't go all the way to Roosevelt lake though just up to the I believe Lone Pine TH? Anyway lots of fun, will probably go again sometime soon during the week when there are fewer ATV's. Had so much fun that I lost track of time. Saw a few other MTBers as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yesterday I drove up to the top, unloaded the bike and rode around along the ridgeline for a few hours. Once at the top, it's an amazing place to ride.. breathtaking at points because it's so quiet, so remote, very fun roads, smells like pine trees. Temp was around 50deg. I went north and it goes for a quite a while.. 10mi or so. You get pretty deep in the forest--I was a little worried about being eaten by a bear.

However.. driving up, I was reaching the top of a small, blind hill. Pretty typical for the drive up. Some yahoo on a 4wheeler was coming the other direction at about 40-50mph. She came within about six inches from hitting my truck, swerved and drove off the edge of the cliff. Luckily she landed in a pile of bushes.. her bike was no where to be found. Had she not swerved in time or if I was 5ft farther forward, she would have been killed.

That said, it's an epic ride, but perhaps one of the most dangerous roads I've been on. People everywhere doing wheelies around corners on dirt bikes, people shooting guns across the road, trucks with trailers everywhere.. it's like the wild west. The top & east side (facing Roosevelt) are far more tame. I'd never ride up from the Beeline though. Maybe it's better during the week. :/

From the Beeline to the turnoff where it meets 188, it's 18mi w/4100ft of elevation gain. I put the garmin on my car as I drove down to measure the Jeep road. That El Oso Rd going down to 188 looks pretty epic. I rode around heading near that Mazatzal Divide Trail. The Arizona Trail meets up at the top too, but I don't know what the terrain is like.

Four Peaks Road by phoenixr34 at Garmin Connect - Details