Kathleen in AZ

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version

In case you didn't stay up on Monday night to watch the lunar eclipse:

Still photos were recorded every 5 minutes from the north shores of Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, AZ with a Canon 5D Mark III mounted to an 8" Celestron Edge HD 2000mm f/10 telescope. Camera settings were all manual with ISO ranging between 200 and 1600 and shutter speed between 1/400 and 2.5 seconds. To get the correct exposure, I had to do many test shots between the 5 minute intervalometer clicks. My mountain biking friend Jesper in Boulder took my images and made this fabulous video. Enjoy!

Last edited by DurtGurl; 04-18-2014 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    I was looking forward to your post, and as usual, doesn't disappoint!

mtbr member

Awesome video and photos! I tried the iPhone attached to the telescope which kind of worked. Did get one shot with the Dslr that had both the moon and Mars (I think) in the same frame.
    Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-imageuploadedbytapatalk1397829075.164865.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just A Mountain Biker.

Excellent work, Kathleen!!

I had a 2-Gila monster ride at Browns Ranch on Wednesday afternoon, unfortunately I was only able to get my phone out fast enough to capture one as it scampered off the trail. Colors weren't awfully great but he was the biggest of the 3 I have ever seen in the wild ~

And a ridiculous selfie as I enjoyed the great weather and fun trails around the north end of Cholla mountain the same day ~
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member

Flag - Sedona Bike pack

I rode a slightly altered Dirty Casner Century route as an overnight ride last weekend. It did not disappoint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack1.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack2.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack4.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack5.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack6.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack7.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-april-bike-pack8.jpg  

Give it a crank
    Old wagon at Westworld

The palo verdes are finally blooming in the McDowells.

Two photos 2.5 years apart of a saguaro with a tipping top along Bell Pass Trail.

mtbr member
    Nice shots Kathleen! I wish I had an equitorial mount!! Because I was using a normal tripod mount, I could only take these measly photos with short exposure times and high ISO to prevent orbit blur so they are noisier than I'd like. Fortunately though the 5DM2 has a pretty nice sensor and can go pretty high in the ISO department before getting really bad with the noise floor. I used my 100-400mm L with a 1.4x extender to grab these pictures. This is also the first time I shot a lunar eclipse so hopefully the composite didn't come out too horrible.

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-composite.jpg
    Shit happens...

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Nice shots Kathleen! I wish I had an equitorial mount!! Because I was using a normal tripod mount, I could only take these measly photos with short exposure times and high ISO to prevent orbit blur so they are noisier than I'd like. Fortunately though the 5DM2 has a pretty nice sensor and can go pretty high in the ISO department before getting really bad with the noise floor. I used my 100-400mm L with a 1.4x extender to grab these pictures. This is also the first time I shot a lunar eclipse so hopefully the composite didn't come out too horrible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	composite.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	886576
    Great composite! I usually use the 400mm L f/5.6 with 2x extender for my moon shots. Comparison to the telescope shots has proved what a great set-up that is... moon details are only slightly more blurry than with the great big 2000mm I am a photoshop newb so am still working my own composites. Up till now, everything I shoot is processed in Lightroom and I use Starstax to stack my star trails composites. On Monday, I also shot 5 hours worth of 20-sec wide-angle time-lapse shots with a second rented 5D3 - I am now struggling to learn Photoshop and remove the numerous plane fly bys. Maybe by next Friday I'll have these to share? Or maybe I'll just step away from the computer and go ride my bike!

Plus size jersey model
    Just a few Tucson shots

AZT300 Ghost Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	composite.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	886576

Awesome Gator...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Total Lunar Eclipse from 0445-1038 UTC on 15 April 2014 as seen in northern Arizona. Skies were very clear and temperatures were well below freezing during the event. This is a composite of nine images taken approximately at P1, U1, U2, Max Totality, U3, U4, and P4, plus additional images between U1 and U2, and between U3 and U4. Times of images are in UTC.

Definitions of P1, U1, etc. can be found here.

Images taken with a Nikon D700 with various f-stops, ISO, and exposure times. A Nikon 80-200mm f/4 lens was used for all images. Although this is a vintage manual focus lens it it produces remarkably sharp images.

drink coffee, ride.
    db, gator, durtgurl - excellent lunars!

Made a trip back to the northlands, this time stayed at the Stateline Campground. Hiked (that is just bike with an H, or steep hill) wire pass and farther down buckskin gulch. freeskier - I think you are to blame for the trips north....buckskin gulch is a hoot. Great campfire with friends.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiedough View Post

Made a trip back to the northlands, this time stayed at the Stateline Campground. Hiked (that is just bike with an H, or steep hill) wire pass and farther down buckskin gulch. freeskier - I think you are to blame for the trips north....buckskin gulch is a hoot. Great campfire with friends.

Nice, funny I was looking at my slides yesterday and found the one of the panel we were talking about. Maybe I'll scan it but I couldn't pick out the location on google maps. Perhaps time for a visit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks, cd.

-db-

mtbr member
    I had heard of this switchback being cleaned but in 25 years or so had never seen it done. Until Chainslap did his trials thingy and pulled it off today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-templeton1.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-templeton2.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-templeton3.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-templeton4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    I had heard of this switchback being cleaned but in 25 years or so had never seen it done. Until Chainslap did his trials thingy and pulled it off today.
    Nice! That's a tough one!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is this Templeton -- or something else?

-db-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Is this Templeton -- or something else?

-db-
    Yes, the climb up from Oak Creek/Budhu Beach on Templeton. He actually cleaned the whole thing but not in one go. He sessioned a couple of spots. I walked and was quite happy to do so.

drink coffee, ride.
    Nice, funny I was looking at my slides yesterday and found the one of the panel we were talking about. Maybe I'll scan it but I couldn't pick out the location on google maps. Perhaps time for a visit.
    Yeah, that area has me captured right now. And then people like DaveC (bedrockandparadox) and Brendan (outliving) go and do an 8 day loop in the Grand Canyon north rim area - and all I can think about are red rocks and canyons.

drink coffee, ride.
    Yes, the climb up from Oak Creek/Budhu Beach on Templeton. He actually cleaned the whole thing but not in one go. He sessioned a couple of spots. I walked and was quite happy to do so.
    That is impressive! (it's probably due to 26" wheels - haha!)

mtbr member

Twilight Ride Up to Mt Union from Mayer

Saw one mountion lion, one group of wild turkey, and some deer... all in one ride...

Bike Ride Profile | First ever mountain lion sighting. This place is a zoo near Mayer | Times and Records | Strava
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-100_0956-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    That is impressive! (it's probably due to 26" wheels - haha!)
    probably due to clipless pedals used to pick up rear tire and shift it in the position -
    great balance

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    probably due to clipless pedals used to pick up rear tire and shift it in the position -
    great balance
    Yep, lots of time spent at the Dells, enel, heli, chainslap - all great to ride with

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hey Cookiedough, let's see some pics from Wire Pass!!

Some fantastic shots in this week's thread, love the eclipse composites.

A few of us went up to do a modified Casner Mtn loop on Sat, then we modified the modification. Chongo will recognize a bunch of these.

Kelly Pocket to start with.

Humphrey's Peak from Cecil Tank.

MarkPHX & Lakvoodoo cruising.

Sycamore Canyon Wilderness

Off Casner Mtn we go, bombs away!!

Fun way to finish the day.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I totally would have cleaned the whole thing in one go had I been in Climb mode instead of Descent on my rear shock! Ha...

mtbr member
    Yeah, that area has me captured right now. And then people like DaveC (bedrockandparadox) and Brendan (outliving) go and do an 8 day loop in the Grand Canyon north rim area - and all I can think about are red rocks and canyons.
    These were taken in 1995 but this is the old way into Coyote Buttes. Just to the south is the petroglyph panel we were chatting about. It's kinda hard to see in my pick but it covers the whole rock. I think we parked right at or near the AZ/UT border and a mile or two from the Wire Pass TH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-coyote-buttes001.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-coyote-buttes002.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-coyote-buttes003.jpg  

Foto Friday 18 April 2014 - Total eclipse version-coyote-buttes004.jpg  

Lakvoodoo
    Great job, Chainslap!
    Dang!
    I cant even get DOWN that one, ha!
    Here's our local boy Firsty (of OTE shop) nailing it a few years ago. (It's mislabled...is really Templeton.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YxV...layer_embedded
    Get Outside!

drink coffee, ride.
    These were taken in 1995 but this is the old way into Coyote Buttes. Just to the south is the petroglyph panel we were chatting about. It's kinda hard to see in my pick but it covers the whole rock. I think we parked right at or near the AZ/UT border and a mile or two from the Wire Pass TH.
    Wow, that is an enormous panel! Well, that settles it, I need to head back that way. That's the problem with the interwebs - they take hold of you and introduce a person to so much awesomeness. That is, if you can get passed the not-awesome parts of it...

drink coffee, ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Hey Cookiedough, let's see some pics from Wire Pass!!
    Alright - since it was asked for - and it falls under the "NBC" category. That means "no bike content". It is outdoors, and that's worth something, right?

There are so many things out there, that just set me into a state of wonder. Maybe it's due to reading Desert Solitaire last fall, maybe it's just finally realizing there is so much "wonderment" out there. Maybe it's realizing there is a finite length to this thing called life, and not to fret about too much, head outside and see.

Most certainly falls under the fourth freeskier moto of "Be."

Entrance to the second narrows portion of Wire Pass:
    From Buckskin Gulch 201404

Lotta water at some point in the past:

curvy and bigger than I had expected

about 2 miles down Buckskin Gulch, way bigger than I was expecting:

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Alright - since it was asked for - and it falls under the "NBC" category. That means "no bike content". It is outdoors, and that's worth something, right?

There are so many things out there, that just set me into a state of wonder. Maybe it's due to reading Desert Solitaire last fall, maybe it's just finally realizing there is so much "wonderment" out there. Maybe it's realizing there is a finite length to this thing called life, and not to fret about too much, head outside and see.

Most certainly falls under the fourth freeskier moto of "Be."
    Awesome!! Thanks for putting those up, now I need to go back up there!!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Got a few snaps from a nice Ripsey AZT run the other Saturday with Freeskier and Gartorturo. The Boulder and Ripsey segments are both pretty good.

Ripsey comes into view.

There's some bike pushing, but I think Gatorturo liked it.

Business face.

Making our way to the Ripsey switchbacks.

Switchback up close. I didn't clean any of them.

"I think this one is the easiest." "Did you get it?" "Nah." And so it went for all of us.

It's nice up there.

The switchbacks aren't as steep as they seem from far away.

Top of the World!

Can't get no higher.

I knew he was having fun.

Taking a break on the descent.

The Voodoo's together, and neither one decided to start to fall apart for once.

I finally caught one of these birds that sits on the trail right until you about run them over. He didn't care I was about 10 feet away. I saw one take off, eat a moth as it flew overhead, then come right back to the trail. Pretty cool. I forget what they're called.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    I finally caught one of these birds that sits on the trail right until you about run them over. He didn't care I was about 10 feet away. I saw one take off, eat a moth as it flew overhead, then come right back to the trail. Pretty cool. I forget what they're called.
    The Common Poorwill according to AZTtripper over on Bikepacking.net.
    My Two Schillingsworth