Fort Tuthill, Flagstaff- Mtbr.com
    \m/ \m/

Fort Tuthill, Flagstaff

I'll be camping at Fort Tuthill the weekend of Aug 26th. Is there any good XC trails near by within riding distance?

Thanks
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Ahhh the pain....
    BR, you have a few options.... It's about a 6 mile or so road ride to get to Buffalo Park which is a good entry point for a bunch of trails. You could also ride almost due east(work your way just north of the airport) and find trails that lead to Fisher point and Walnut Canyon. The trails accessible from Buffalo Park will have more vert relative the others.
    Also, I think there's some kind of flat loop around where you're staying, but it's pretty mellow.

pedaller
    There is about 10 miles of easy/moderate trails right at Fort Tuthill. The Bridge Trail is nice but short (1 mile). You can also take the urban trail into Flagstaff (easy) or just drive over to the Shultz/Mt Elden trails.

You also have the AZ Trail close by. You have A LOT of options.

http://www.coconino.az.gov/uploadedF...escription.pdf

http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=8550

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

banned
    I would have suggested you book a spot at the KOA on highway 89, on the east side of Flagstaff. You are right next to trails leading around Elden.

However, in the late 90's, while training Americorps crews on chainsaws at Fort Tuthill, I decided to propose a system of trails around the park. I made a design and got it approved and my crews quickly built what is now called Soldiers Trail, a 5.5 mile perimeter trail around Fort Tuthill. We later added the Bridge Trail, that runs across the middle of Soldiers Trail. Later still, more trail was added on the south end of the loop. It leads down to Kachina Village. The state mountain bike championships were held on Soldiers Trail years ago, so it is an acceptable trail option. But it will not challenge you too much.

If you ride towards town on the urban trail, and turn down Lake Mary Road, you can then make a left turn a mile up the road, onto John W. Powell Road. There is a trail off to the right, about 100 yards up that road. It is part of the new Loop Trail, and it will take you several miles toward Fisher Point. It ties into the AZ Trail, where you'll need to turn right, following it downhill to the bottom of Fisher Point. The climb to the top of Fisher Point is one mile long and somewhat challenging. You'll love the ride back down. You can ride this section of AZ Trail for seven miles and connect onto Campbell Mesa, where there are five loops totalling about 20 miles of trails. There are also ways to ride through tunnels under I-40 and connect to trails near the base of Elden.

If you are interested and need more details, just ask. Otherwise, you'll probably do well to haul the bikes to the bottom of Schultz Creek or to Buffalo Park and begin your rides there.

\m/ \m/
    Thanks for the info guys!
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

banned
    I've got in-laws visiting this week, so I'll be out riding more than normal. If you want someone to ride with, let me know. Also, I have two sets of Exposure lights I've been getting use to and could loan out one set if you want to do a night ride.