Thread: Fork trade?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Fork trade?

Long shot, but I'm looking to swap forks for something with a bit less travel.

What I've got: Very clean '10 Marzocchi 66 RC3, 180mm travel, 1 1/8 steerer, cut at 8 inches, starnut installed, 20mm thru, PM brakes 8-inch rotor only.

Looking to trade for a 150 or 160mm fork, 1 1/8, PM, 20mm thru. Prefer a newer 55 RC3, maybe a Lyric solo or coil or a 36. PM me if interested. Thanks.

ride more, blog less
    i have a lyrik, great condition... 160mm i've been looking for a 180mm.... pm sent
    i like these odds....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Long shot, but I'm looking to swap forks for something with a bit less travel.

What I've got: Very clean '10 Marzocchi 66 RC3, 180mm travel, 1 1/8 steerer, cut at 8 inches, starnut installed, 20mm thru, PM brakes 8-inch rotor only.

Looking to trade for a 150 or 160mm fork, 1 1/8, PM, 20mm thru. Prefer a newer 55 RC3, maybe a Lyric solo or coil or a 36. PM me if interested. Thanks.
    You could just shorten the travel up on your 66 and make it a 55 , you can alter travel fairly easy on most all forks and shocks , its handy to do when you are changing chassis heights, head angle and travel to see what really works for you instead of always swapping componets with sombodys used up componets .
    This saves you from getting lost and you still have all your good parts

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Hmm. I know this could be done on the older Marz. forks, but I was under the impression it was no longer possible on the post-2010 models. Love to know for sure, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hmm. I know this could be done on the older Marz. forks, but I was under the impression it was no longer possible on the post-2010 models. Love to know for sure, though.
    You can do anything you set your mind to.
    All suspension travel can be lengthend and or shortened to a point to get any bike at a correct ride height or travel length to a point.
    Shorting travel in a fork is generally a matter of making a limit spacer or spacers the thickness of the travel you want to remove, and install it on the damper to limit travel ,
    not a big deal .

If you are running an air set up for the spring, then you are done.
    If you are running a coil spring you can generally make a mod to the spring seat to a lower position so you can keep your same spring preload adjustment range and then you are done , this is all reversible and is just what you do to get something dialed .

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yes. I've done that several times on both air and coil forks. Issue is, the newer Marzocchi RC3 stuff is coil with an low-pressure air preload. I don't think you can limit the travel with spacers.

I love bike!
    I've got a really nice 55...sorry couldn't resist

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Dave: I was gonna PM and see if you wanted to step up to a 180 fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes. I've done that several times on both air and coil forks. Issue is, the newer Marzocchi RC3 stuff is coil with an low-pressure air preload. I don't think you can limit the travel with spacers.
    Why yes you can , just like any other fork .

You really do not want to use the air at all , your better off pulling a vacuum and just dialing it with the spring, I have changed travel and set up many of these .

Members who have read this thread: 0