Beyond the stars

Follow up to DT Swiss Question

Ok, so I got a co-branded DT Swiss rear hub (what the heck does that mean) It means that is has a Specialized S-Works and the DT Swiss logo's on it, so I guess DT Swiss made a bunch of em for Specialized or sometin . . .

Anyway, "Hoston, I think we have a problem" at least I didn't get too far down the trail and now DT gave me an RMA number so here is my question

Are there any "good" wheelbuilders in the area, and does anybody have the number for Dave's Speed Dream . . . (I checked the old thread, and did the search, Dave's seems to be the best, right?)

I'm guessing he's the best . . .

(most places I wouldn't use for one reason or another, tried them before, don't like their shoes, whatever. I won't use: SuperMo, lackof-Performance, notso-Excellent, Bicycle Showca . . . Pig, Spokesman, not bashing-just don't want to use them, any others that are good?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

wheeeee!!!

Dave's or Fish at Cactus

Both have great reps. Personally, if my hub melted down like that, I'd at least bug dt to rebuild the thing as well. It's not your fault you're gonna need a new build, and they do wheelbuilds, so maybe you could get them to cover it.

Other than the aforementioned wheelbuilders, building yourself isn't that difficult, and the mechanically inclined or psychotic might find it entertaining.

Beyond the stars

Good call . . .

Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Both have great reps. Personally, if my hub melted down like that, I'd at least bug dt to rebuild the thing as well. It's not your fault you're gonna need a new build, and they do wheelbuilds, so maybe you could get them to cover it.

Other than the aforementioned wheelbuilders, building yourself isn't that difficult, and the mechanically inclined or psychotic might find it entertaining.
    Is Fish still here, didn't he go to Wistler for the summer, or is that Monk?

I sent an email to DT with the picts to see if they would cover the builds (it will cost me more to ship the entire wheel to CO, but maybe a lot less hassle, so whatever)

I think there is a real "ART" to building wheels, I mean besides having the tools, trueing stand, spoke tensioning guage, dishing, etc. all in all I have a lot of respect for someone who can build a nice round, true, well dished, long lasting wheel, a real art to it I say . . . bike wise and car wise there isn't much I won't attempt 'cept maybe electrical and paint, but mechanically bikes are very simple, it's just tools, time and understanding . . .

. . . but wheelbuilding may just one of those vodoo arts

wheeeee!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    Is Fish still here, didn't he go to Wistler for the summer, or
    I think there is a real "ART" to building wheels, I mean besides having the tools, trueing stand, spoke tensioning guage, dishing, etc. all in all I have a lot of respect for someone who can build a nice round, true, well dished, long lasting wheel, a real art to it I say . . . bike wise and car wise there isn't much I won't attempt 'cept maybe electrical and paint, but mechanically bikes are very simple, it's just tools, time and understanding . . .

. . . but wheelbuilding may just one of those vodoo arts
    I'll agree that there are those that build exceptional wheels - and those who can do so quickly and efficently,

But I'd also suggest that anyone with a truing stand or a well aligned rear triangle and some vee-brakes can build wheels that exceed the quality of machine built wheels. I've built two sets, one is still going strong, the other was on a bike that was stolen. Mine aren't picture perfect like Dave's, or as light as they could be, but they've stayed true alot better than machine built wheels I've owned.

Beyond the stars

Yea, it's not rocket science . . .

but it's not like writting SQL statements either . . . two things I know nothing about

however, I'm in luck 'cause DT Swiss said they would fix the whole she-bang without any input from William Hung or Ricky Martin . . . and I have a spare 217 XT wheelset that gets me up and riding till this one comes back so . . . all is well (I think)

thanks for the suggestions, good call on asking for the deluxe treatment from DT

wheeeee!!!
    Cool, doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DJBiker
    but it's not like writting SQL statements either . . . two things I know nothing about

however, I'm in luck 'cause DT Swiss said they would fix the whole she-bang without any input from William Hung or Ricky Martin . . . and I have a spare 217 XT wheelset that gets me up and riding till this one comes back so . . . all is well (I think)

thanks for the suggestions, good call on asking for the deluxe treatment from DT