2010_0612_flag_15_blog

2010_0612_flag_16_blog

2010_0612_flag_17_blog

2010_0612_flag_20_blog

2010_0612_flag_22_blog
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Nice pics. What trails are these? I'm planning on heading up to Flag in the next couple of weeks.

Pivotal figure
    Lil bit of Jedi in there?
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

banned
    looks like the sticky icky

recovering roadie
    That trail is awesome. Too bad it's so short.

Have you heard where it got its name?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    great pics!

how the heck do you link photos like that? can you do it from a place like picasso with google or photobucket?

drink coffee, ride.
    looks great - had to click just for the name Flagstafrica

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Lil bit of Jedi in there?
    Yup.....the force is strong with you.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    NICE. You rode with my twin, Orange Nomad!

banned
    Sep 2007
    Sheesh, I thought you posted Fly Fishing... and was looking for fish pictures.

parenting for gnarness
    here is a topo of our route. we started down at Schultz, worked up to Flying Fish, then back down to Jedi. included Viet Springs, Gimpy's Gully, Mace's Revenge and Secret

flag1

Dobbs - do tell? i assumed it was from all the jumps. first time on FF, loved it, but a long climb for a short DH. Next time I might do a loop or 2 of Viet\Mace's\FF or shuttle to the top.

for embedding, i just copy the html code from my blog.

recovering roadie
    That is a true monster of a ride. When I used to live in Flag I used to ride the top end of the Kachina Trail to the Wilderness Boundary, then pop onto Flying Fish from there. It's probably been 13 years since I have ridden that trail.

I think Steve Garro first told me about it in 95 or so. He said it got its name from a Gary Fisher mountain bike one of the Mutants had that came equipped with the one and only Campagnolo mountain component group. The story was (if I remember correctly) that they started ghost riding the Campy Fisher off the jumps, thus bestowing the name Flying Fish upon the trail.

If any of you Mutants or locals are lurking, feel free to chime in if my facts are wrong.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    That is a true monster of a ride. When I used to live in Flag I used to ride the top end of the Kachina Trail to the Wilderness Boundary, then pop onto Flying Fish from there. It's probably been 13 years since I have ridden that trail.

I think Steve Garro first told me about it in 95 or so. He said it got its name from a Gary Fisher mountain bike one of the Mutants had that came equipped with the one and only Campagnolo mountain component group. The story was (if I remember correctly) that they started ghost riding the Campy Fisher off the jumps, thus bestowing the name Flying Fish upon the trail.

If any of you Mutants or locals are lurking, feel free to chime in if my facts are wrong.
    very cool! yeah luv to hear some of the Flag lore if anyone chimes in... when you say the Kachina Trail, is that what leads up the mtn from Weatherford and the "no bikes" signage? trying to figure out your route up the mtn...

Maad and I were trying to punish ourselves and mix in some of the Crazy88 route for practice - Helimech and Pwrtrainer were good sports about slogging along with us. wound up being over 5k vf. I have not previously strung those trails into an "Elden"-based ride -- was tough but a very fun change-up. Man i love Flag - been grinning for 2 days since being up there, even the endos dont hurt as much.

mtbr member
    Looks like good fun (I wondered if those log rollers were the ones I did on Jedi). I'd love to get back to Flag and ride with some folks who really know their way around. So much up there.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-14-2010 at 05:41 PM.

recovering roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    very cool! yeah luv to hear some of the Flag lore if anyone chimes in... when you say the Kachina Trail, is that what leads up the mtn from Weatherford and the "no bikes" signage? trying to figure out your route up the mtn...
    I think I had ridden up Flying Fish, etc, the same way I came down. From Friedlein Prarie Road there was some jeep track/fire road stuff that may have been filled in with singletrack later, up to Viet Spring, where I really liked the cool greenery and Aspens.

I remember at least once riding up the Snowbowl Road to descend the singletrack. I've not heard of the Onceler Trail - where is that one? Nice Lorax reference.

The Kachina Trail starts at the end of one of the lower parking lots at Snowbowl, and at the time, it was legal, or at least I never got in trouble for, riding it down to the Wilderness Boundary. I bet that section from there around to the Weatherford Trail is super sweet, but I'm regretful to say I never even hiked it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs
    I think I had ridden up Flying Fish, etc, the same way I came down. From Friedlein Prarie Road there was some jeep track/fire road stuff that may have been filled in with singletrack later, up to Viet Spring, where I really liked the cool greenery and Aspens.

I remember at least once riding up the Snowbowl Road to descend the singletrack. I've not heard of the Onceler Trail - where is that one? Nice Lorax reference.

The Kachina Trail starts at the end of one of the lower parking lots at Snowbowl, and at the time, it was legal, or at least I never got in trouble for, riding it down to the Wilderness Boundary. I bet that section from there around to the Weatherford Trail is super sweet, but I'm regretful to say I never even hiked it.
    The Kachina trail is entirely within the Kachina Peaks Wilderness and has been since 1964. That's not to say it doesn't get ridden once in awhile but is some hike a bike on it as well. A very popular hiking trail so not really a good one to poach if you were so inclined.

Flying Fish ends at the Viet Spring TH. Below Viet the stretch is known as powerline trail (duh, it's the powerline route to Snowbowl). There's a good line when the motos have been on it a lot. The newer stretch between the bottom of powerline/Friedlien Praire Rd intersection to Fort Valley/Rocky Moto is known as the Grambly Turnpike after the recently departed FS employee.

Onceler was built in 1989 or 90 by Absolute Bikes for the Dry Lake Hills race because Schultz was closed to downhill biker traffic for the summer. So, it was actually built with FS approval but was never incorporated as a system trail.

I can't confirm how Flying Fish got it's name although the Mutants were certainly fond of ghost riding. It's been there since the early 90s, maybe even the 80s but didn't have any jumps except where it crosses the gully.
    Last edited by rockman; 06-15-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0