DFL>DNF>DNS

Flight of the Turkey?

I couldn't make the Flight of the Pigs ride this year, so I set a challenge upon myself to do it solo on Thanksgiving since my wife had to work. I ended up starting a bit later than originally planned and was rolling at 8am from the Pima Canyon Lot. If I was doing the ride with the group I would've gone up Mormon since it would have been faster, but I was on my own and have never done a complete C2C on National. So, up Natty I went. My goal was to reach the San Juan lot by noon. That did not happen.

1 mile from SJ I ran over some cactus spines and hisssss. Sadly, I forgot to check my Stan's in quite some time and it was no longer fluid. No worries, I through in my spare tube to get moving. Not so fast. The spare tube had a really sticky valve stem, so much so that I needed my multitool to open/close it. Pumped it up, tried closing it....flat. ugh. Multiple attempts resulting in the same. Is my ride really going to end at mile 14?? A couple of hikers volunteered their car to take me back to the Pima lot, but I wasn't having any of it. Not on this day. I finally worked the tube stem free, then discovered one of the spines had poked through the tire puncturing my tube. Jeez. After an hour of this, the tube finally held with a super slow leak. I pressed on to the San Juan lot.

After a quick snack I decided to see how the tire would hold up out on the pavement. If it was going to lose air quickly, my day was probably done and I could just ride asphalt back around to the car. The tire held up and I was on to the Phoenix Mtn Preserve & T100.

I rolled into the 7th Ave TH around 3:15, knowing I wouldn't finish this ride in daylight. At least I packed my lights! I did want to be through with T100 before nightfall. Now my GPS started beeping at me for a low battery!! Really? It's only been on for 7 hours with a full charge. I saved some battery life by cycling the power when I stopped for longer food breaks. I hadn't been up to the west side of T100 in some 15 years and it showed. The trail is poorly marked at many trail junctions & I made at least 4 wrong turns. What's a little bonus miles, right? There was even a park ranger out on the trail and they steered me in the wrong direction, nice. After the multiple detours, I finally made it out to the Tatum TH with some daylight still left.

Checked in with the wife, put on the lights & headed for Papago. I'm guessing my Garmin powers itself through my stoke, the 3rd time I powered it up (over 2 hours after the low battery warning) the warning was gone! After passing through Papago I went up Mill Ave and just before hitting Southern Ave the Garmin finally had enough. Nice to know I can squeeze out 3 1/2 more hours after the warning pops on the screen.

I rolled back into the Pima lot to find my lone car waiting patiently for my arrival. Made it just under the 12 hour mark. Bummer, no beer left on my car this day. Here are a few pics from the day:

Starting out:
    From FotT_2011

Things yet to come:
    From FotT_2011

Downtime:
    From FotT_2011

Downtown:
    From FotT_2011

Chillin':
    From FotT_2011

Fall color too:
    From FotT_2011

The Sun's waning rays on Four Peaks:
    From FotT_2011

Papago:
    From FotT_2011

Ride data: Flight of the Turkey
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Nice work and nice pedals!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice work bro. That's an ambitious day in the saddle. Good looking pics.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr View Post
    Nice work and nice pedals!
    Thanks, love those pedals!! They're not for the gram counters, but I've been riding them for 15 years!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    AWESOME!

mtbr member
    I still keep a pair around myself
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Give it a crank
    That's awesome freeskier46! Love the chillin' shot, you don't see that everyday while MTBing.