Flight of the pigs, Who's going?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Flight of the pigs, Who's going?

I signed up for the flight. This will be my first time doing this ride, and I am a bit anxious/ nervous.
    I have been banned from the Mountain bike for the last 4 weeks, training for a road race dec1.
    I am going to try riding National to Buena vista, for the first time ever on Friday, to see if I can do it in the 1hr cut off time (99% of my riding is around T100). I have no Idea of the distance, or how hard the trail is.

Any insight would be great.

Also anyone that is free, and would like to do a preride of National this friday, let me know.

Thanks,
    Rob

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by robvallee
    I signed up for the flight. This will be my first time doing this ride, and I am a bit anxious/ nervous.
    I have been banned from the Mountain bike for the last 4 weeks, training for a road race dec1.
    I am going to try riding National to Buena vista, for the first time ever on Friday, to see if I can do it in the 1hr cut off time (99% of my riding is around T100). I have no Idea of the distance, or how hard the trail is.

Any insight would be great.

Also anyone that is free, and would like to do a preride of National this friday, let me know.

Thanks,
    Rob
    FOTP requires that you have both your roadie and technical game on. Sounds like you'll be ok in the roadie dept, but have you ever done National coast to coast? Getting to Buena Vista is just 1/3 the battle.... it gets more technical heading west and doesn't let up much until you're past the major hike-a-bike out of Telegraph. National rolls along ridgelines for a while then you're treated to a rough descent and more XC gnar to the San Juan parking area. I advise doing the whole thing (National) this weekend if you can for a better idea of the start of the big day...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    FOTP requires that you have both your roadie and technical game on. Sounds like you'll be ok in the roadie dept, but have you ever done National coast to coast? Getting to Buena Vista is just 1/3 the battle.... it gets more technical heading west and doesn't let up much until you're past the major hike-a-bike out of Telegraph. National rolls along ridgelines for a while then you're treated to a rough descent and more XC gnar to the San Juan parking area. I advise doing the whole thing (National) this weekend if you can for a better idea of the start of the big day...
    Thanks for your input. I am a very compitant mountainbiker. I don't ride SOMO, because I like to ride my bike to the trail, instead of loading up the car, and driving 1/2 hour to a crouded parkinglot. I am not concerned with being able to ride the technical portions. I am just asking the milage from Pima-buena, so I can see in my mind what the 1 hour time limit is. IE 10mi, or 16mi. 10 miles no problem, 16 I better be ready to race.

Thanks,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Check your PM's and definately do your pre-ride before you decide.

Thanks for your input. I am a very compitant mountainbiker. I don't ride SOMO, because I like to ride my bike to the trail, instead of loading up the car, and driving 1/2 hour to a crouded parkinglot. I am not concerned with being able to ride the technical portions. I am just asking the milage from Pima-buena, so I can see in my mind what the 1 hour time limit is. IE 10mi, or 16mi. 10 miles no problem, 16 I better be ready to race.

Thanks,
    Rob

Kathleen in AZ

Thanks,
    Rob
    I think it's only about 5 miles, but it could be the slowest 5 miles that you've ridden in a long long time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I think it's only about 5 miles, but it could be the slowest 5 miles that you've ridden in a long long time.

Thanks for the info.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Yea, what DG said. It WILL be the slowest 5 miles of your life for several reasons.

1. 100 people on singletrack at the same time gets VERY hectic.
    2. It can be a lung buster when really pushing yourself.

This year could really hurt as I'd do it SS...but I'm still waiting on someone to make a decision so I know if I'm riding or not. (You know who you are!!!)
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    This year could really hurt as I'd do it SS...but I'm still waiting on someone to make a decision so I know if I'm riding or not. (You know who you are!!!)
    Way to be your own man...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jim cashed my check, so I guess I'm in.

I did it last year - the 5 miles to BV is the first of many hurdles. Definitely ride coast to coast before you commit.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

Happy trails

paid up and ready to go

totally bonk at the mid-way point last year.
    going all the this year even i have to be towed,it's gonna happen!
    Aaron

SS Addict
    Oink! I'm in.

mtbr member
    I wish. having been a one time lunch stop looser (I think I *might* be the reason for the time cut offs, since i was the last off SoMo the year *before* they started) and a one time finisher.....I just have not had the ride time I would need for it this year.
    b

"Yabut"
    Yeah, I'm doing it. This will be my first time, as well. But I have done National coast 2 coast a few times. Now, if I can survive the road riding.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Not a Barry supporter.
    You've never done it wuss...so you have no reason to talk.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Yeah, I'm doing it. This will be my first time, as well. But I have done National coast 2 coast a few times. Now, if I can survive the road riding.
    Anyone from Tucson want to carpool to FOTP?

Tucson, AZ

There is still room

The list is out for current attendees.

i like cheese.
    looks like I am in... Do you only get a number if you've completed one before?

Endurance Junkie
    You can bet I'll be there,have done this event twice one D.N.F.and the other was one of my best times I've had on a bike.

Tucson, AZ
    Sweet. Want to drive together?

Endurance Junkie
    Fo shizzle!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Did you get a chance to scout out National trail?

I'm rooting for ya, buddy!

Thanks,
    Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0