Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Evil Patrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,754

    Flash flooding in Sedona

    Wow!

    SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) - A heavy rain storm caused flash flooding Thursday afternoon in the resort town of Sedona.

    Sedona Fire District spokesman Gary Johnson says runoff from the mid-afternoon storm caused flooding in a wash that runs near a popular shopping and dining development.

    The flooding caused several vehicles in the development's parking lot to be moved around.

    Some drivers and passengers who were stuck inside their vehicles were rescued.

    Johnson says no injuries were reported, but Traildoc was seen whooping and hollering "world-class rapids!" as he floated down Oak Creek with his mountain bike.
    -- Evil Patrick

    Some of my Music

    My Videos

    The trail...shall set you free.

  2. #2
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    I am curious to hear how the Chevaz Crossing group campground faired in this flood. I have it reserved for a weekend in Oct and hope it'll still be open!!

  3. #3
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    Classic.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Wow!

    SEDONA, Ariz. (AP) - A heavy rain storm caused flash flooding Thursday afternoon in the resort town of Sedona.

    Sedona Fire District spokesman Gary Johnson says runoff from the mid-afternoon storm caused flooding in a wash that runs near a popular shopping and dining development.

    The flooding caused several vehicles in the development's parking lot to be moved around.

    Some drivers and passengers who were stuck inside their vehicles were rescued.

    Johnson says no injuries were reported, but Traildoc was seen whooping and hollering "world-class rapids!" as he floated down Oak Creek with his mountain bike.
    Evil:

    Thanks for the update. I missed the flood, but one of my riding buddies said the major part of the rain hit the Secret Trails Area which feeds into the Grand Central Wash and runs through the timeshare resort by the bridge. Apparently the got about 4' of mud in the parking lot. Here is a video of the aftermath: http://www.sedona.biz/sedona-flood-video09102009.htm
    Last edited by traildoc; 09-11-2009 at 10:14 AM.

  5. #5
    pedaller
    Reputation: Noelg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,400
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: punterofkittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    Sedona "night mud ride" anyone? Joey? Seriously this sucks for those with houses and businesses.

  7. #7
    aka Swamp ThAAng
    Reputation: shockrwave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    188
    The moose is loose???

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Lame

  9. #9
    oh Lucky me
    Reputation: Exodus11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    705
    is this the wash that runs infront of that shopping area with the Javalena Cantina in it? I was watching it on the news this morning and thats kind of where it looked to be at but i couldnt be certain.
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

  10. #10
    Grinder
    Reputation: nogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    339
    what moose?
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

  11. #11
    No mames guey
    Reputation: tpvet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by shockrwave
    The moose is loose???
    Seriously, what is he talking about?

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus11
    is this the wash that runs infront of that shopping area with the Javalena Cantina in it? I was watching it on the news this morning and thats kind of where it looked to be at but i couldnt be certain.
    No that's Oak Creek

  13. #13
    oooh, shiny...
    Reputation: Ry-daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    450
    The moose IS loose...


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: punterofkittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    Seriously, what is he talking about?
    he is talking about the video...one of the Sedona residents says that...

  15. #15
    No mames guey
    Reputation: tpvet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by punterofkittens
    he is talking about the video...one of the Sedona residents says that...

    Exactly, what is the guy is the video talking about? But thanks for the guidance.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    There is a big bronze moose statue in front of the brewery that has to weigh an awful lot...more than your average car by double probably. I am assuming he was was referring to that.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    527
    that video is a great advertisement for sedonas tourism market.......... Smart of them to post it up on their info site.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,729
    Nice write-up here:
    http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/fgz/Weather_...edonaFlood.pdf

    On a side note Traildoc, I ran into your neighbor who was building a freeride trail in the Peaks on labor day. Should be a fine addition for the shuttle crowd.

  19. #19
    Sup?
    Reputation: honemastert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I am curious to hear how the Chevaz Crossing group campground faired in this flood. I have it reserved for a weekend in Oct and hope it'll still be open!!
    Noticed this on the reservations site
    Site capacity was reduced from 75 people to 50 people due to flood damage.

  20. #20
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by honemastert
    Noticed this on the reservations site
    Site capacity was reduced from 75 people to 50 people due to flood damage.
    That notice is from the last flood several years ago.... I'll have to give them a call next week.

  21. #21
    half-fast rider
    Reputation: kpomtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    190
    Holy crap, I just ate at that brewery last Friday.

    The bronze moose is actually an elk.
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coconinocycles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,002
    what flashed was "burger king wash" - it goes under 89a & runs N. along soldier's pass rd. the burns from last year killed most of the vegetation holding the mud & water down up high. i would not be suprised if this happened every time it rains hard in that drainage, which is pretty dang big.........
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.