Flagstaff Trails Initiative-public meeting announcement- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Flagstaff Trails Initiative-public meeting announcement

Care about Flagstaff trails?

This kick-off public meeting is the first step in an inclusive public process to better understand the needs and interests of residents and trail users. The input and ideas provided during the meeting will help shape a regional trails strategy, scheduled for completion in 2019.

When: Wednesday, October 10 from 6-8:30 p.m.
    Where: Flagstaff High School Commons
    What: A thirty-minute open house, followed by a 6:30 p.m. presentation on the Flagstaff Trails Initiative and interactive small group discussions and mapping activities.

Additional information: Oct. 10 – Kick-Off Public Meeting – Flagstaff Trails Initiative

Flagstaff Trails Initiative-public meeting announcement-fti_kickoff_public_meeting_10102018.jpg

The .05 percent
    Strategy complete in 2019?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Strategy complete in 2019?
    Yes, with a regional trail plan document in place to guide the process. FTI would then become a 501C fund raising entity. This is the chance for the cycling community to have their input on the map and specific projects.

Just another half mile...
    They need to schedule a public meeting over the weekend to provide better opportunity for trail users from outside Flagstaff to provide input. I would come up, but really hard to during the week.

Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Care about Flagstaff trails?

This kick-off public meeting is the first step in an inclusive public process to better understand the needs and interests of residents and trail users. The input and ideas provided during the meeting will help shape a regional trails strategy, scheduled for completion in 2019.

When: Wednesday, October 10 from 6-8:30 p.m.
    Where: Flagstaff High School Commons
    What: A thirty-minute open house, followed by a 6:30 p.m. presentation on the Flagstaff Trails Initiative and interactive small group discussions and mapping activities.

Additional information: Oct. 10 – Kick-Off Public Meeting – Flagstaff Trails Initiative

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTI_Kickoff_Public_Meeting_10102018.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	1217414

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    They need to schedule a public meeting over the weekend to provide better opportunity for trail users from outside Flagstaff to provide input. I would come up, but really hard to during the week.
    Good point but hard to do weekends when the core group is city, county, and forest service. FBO is the only NGO.

mtbr member
    Maybe some folks on here had a chance to attend the FTI workshop earlier this month but if not there is an important survey to fill out. If Flagstaff trails are important to you, please take the time to have a look and fill it out. It doesnt take long and this way we will get a good representation from a variety of users and all user groups.

FTI trail survey: https://www.opentownhall.com/6762

Please help promote the survey by sharing with others that you know. Besides attending the public meetings this is your chance to have a say in the planning process for a regional trail plan. The "process" is excruciating slow but we could be onto something big here and we need your help!

Ahhh the pain....
    yep, filled it out several days back and sent it out to 10 friends that don't come here or do the FB thing.
    Actually thought the map part of the survey was cool however, the difference between the categories, "concerns" and "opportunities" wasn't entirely clear. No biggie since you could explain your thought for each.

mtbr member
    Ya, the mapping exercise is the best part. The more support for MEDL the better. It's probably not that surprising but a big discussion item is of course what to do with the social trails. The top secret map has 530 miles of user-created trails in the planning envelope. Of course, lots of them are dog walker trails out of backyards, and some are trails that have fallen out of use, but it gives the environuts more ammo for closure, etc. There are some members of Sierra Club that would like to see Elden Lookout and Schultz Creek rds gated and closed to access.

So one thing to emphasize is their existence indicates the user experience many advanced riders are looking for is going unmet by the USFS. We've had it pretty good here in that the FS hasn't closed any of them over the last decade but that could change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've tried to fill out the form -- twice. Both times it fails on the final page with this error:

>Sorry
    >We do not recognize the page you are trying to access.
    >Click the 'back' button on your browser.

So it would seem that my answers never get transmitted.

-db-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    I've tried to fill out the form -- twice. Both times it fails on the final page with this error:

>Sorry
    >We do not recognize the page you are trying to access.
    >Click the 'back' button on your browser.

So it would seem that my answers never get transmitted.

-db-
    Odd, I didn't have a problem with Explorer. Maybe try a different browser like Chrome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There aren't any legal expert trails in Flag and there are barely any well built beginner and intermediate trails either and all of Elden/DLH/FV is a complete mess when there should be a well thought out and planned stacked looped system.

Flag riding is pretty whack overall. I can barely get motivated to ride here any longer. It's a bummer.

Ahhh the pain....
    I've gotta ask what is probably a pretty dumb question... Seems like the # of trail miles per year built in Prescott is way more than in Flagstaff. Why is that? ( and I don't ask the question to be sarcastic or anything else, just really wondering why such a difference).

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    I've gotta ask what is probably a pretty dumb question... Seems like the # of trail miles per year built in Prescott is way more than in Flagstaff. Why is that? ( and I don't ask the question to be sarcastic or anything else, just really wondering why such a difference).
    The Shultz fire and now the thinning projects are what have been their main concerns.

I imagine that there FS sups are into trails too. It doesn't seem that way here on the Coco.

My other ride is your mom
    Answered the survey.....dont lose hope. This stuff takes time....it takes more time here which is very disheartening, but the alternative gets us nowhere.

mtbr member
    I'm not saying that there isn't always room for (major) improvement, but as someone who comes up to Flagstaff to ride just about every other weekend over the summer I am extremely satisfied with both the quantity and the quality of the trails. My biggest complaint is the lack of a bike-legal trail route for an around the peaks ride (the not-so-legal option is an absolute blast though ).

It seems that the Flagstaff locals are really down on the status of the trails system. What are the big complaints from the local crew?

The .05 percent
    I'm not getting any younger...
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    I'm not saying that there isn't always room for (major) improvement, but as someone who comes up to Flagstaff to ride just about every other weekend over the summer I am extremely satisfied with both the quantity and the quality of the trails. My biggest complaint is the lack of a bike-legal trail route for an around the peaks ride (the not-so-legal option is an absolute blast though ).

It seems that the Flagstaff locals are really down on the status of the trails system. What are the big complaints from the local crew?

Not everyone agrees with me but our trail system is a POS imho. 98% of our trails are fall lines following old road beds, on ridge lines or in the bottoms of gullies. The "easy" stuff isn't that easy since they run a bunch of water which erodes the treads exposing tons of small to larger sized rocks. It's hard to get your kids stoked on riding here. The harder stuff is all eroded fall lines too. It can be challenging but not in a progressive sort of way and I actually love riding steeps, ours are just weird poorly built social trail. The system doesn't have much connectivity or flow to it. We are basically light years behind anywhere that's been getting after it over the last 20 or so years.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Not everyone agrees with me but our trail system is a POS imho. 98% of our trails are fall lines following old road beds, on ridge lines or in the bottoms of gullies. The "easy" stuff isn't that easy since they run a bunch of water which erodes the treads exposing tons of small to larger sized rocks. It's hard to get your kids stoked on riding here. The harder stuff is all eroded fall lines too. It can be challenging but not in a progressive sort of way and I actually love riding steeps, ours are just weird poorly built social trail. The system doesn't have much connectivity or flow to it. We are basically light years behind anywhere that's been getting after it over the last 20 or so years.
    Yup, a POS. When you look at Sedona and realize that they share the same national forest it makes you wonder. I personally am not a fan of Flow trails, but the way our trails are routed with trees seeming to be in the apex for all turns you start to wonder. It is not 1997 anymore.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

recovering roadie
    I've recently been amazed at how much the Prescott area has expanded and Flag has fallen behind. I'll fill out the survey.

slower than you
    Maybe some folks on here had a chance to attend the FTI workshop earlier this month but if not there is an important survey to fill out. If Flagstaff trails are important to you, please take the time to have a look and fill it out. It doesnt take long and this way we will get a good representation from a variety of users and all user groups.

FTI trail survey: https://www.opentownhall.com/6762

Please help promote the survey by sharing with others that you know. Besides attending the public meetings this is your chance to have a say in the planning process for a regional trail plan. The "process" is excruciating slow but we could be onto something big here and we need your help!
    Done.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Yup, a POS. When you look at Sedona and realize that they share the same national forest it makes you wonder. I personally am not a fan of Flow trails, but the way our trails are routed with trees seeming to be in the apex for all turns you start to wonder. It is not 1997 anymore.
    A flowing trail doesn't have to be a "flow" trail. I'd hate to see everything be built like that too.

If Snowbowl ever gets to it I bet you flow trails are what we are going to get. The soil up there isn't really good for Whistler like steep trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    I've recently been amazed at how much the Prescott area has expanded and Flag has fallen behind. I'll fill out the survey.
    I really need to go check out Prescott. It looks dope on trailforks.

mtbr member
    Done. There is so much potential. New trails only need to be approved once, then just maintained. Current trails are adequate, with good long ride options available. It would be nice to dedicated downhill and uphill trails in some areas to satisfy all user groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    It's not from a lack of trying. Besides the emphasis on fuel reduction and fire suppression mentioned by RA, the primary reason is because of a bird. Mexican Spotted Owl and the Endangered Species Act. Prescott might have owls as well but they have more real estate to play with. The USFWS can squash any proposed action that comes along if they want to. That, and there are administrative and budget hurdles with this district.

Another issue (esp with regard to a trail around the peaks) is the mountain is a Traditional Cultural Property that requires tribal consultation. Snowbowl and making snow with reclaimed water has used up all the fun cards on that front. Also, the environmental groups here are not reasonable and open to compromise. Especially the Sierra Club.

One thing that folks also forget is there is nothing in the USFS mandate that says they have to make trail. It's up to partners that have a seat at the table to make things happen and hope that there are the right people in the right places open to pushing things through the NEPA process. Lots of hurdles here. One reason for going after the NPS grant that initiated the Flagstaff Trails Inititiave. Now we have the city, county, as well as the Sierra Club as core group members. It's not going to happen fast but it will pay dividends in the end.

mtbr member
    It's not from a lack of trying. Besides the emphasis on fuel reduction and fire suppression mentioned by RA, the primary reason is because of a bird. Mexican Spotted Owl and the Endangered Species Act. Prescott might have owls as well but they have more real estate to play with. The USFWS can squash any proposed action that comes along if they want to. That, and there are administrative and budget hurdles with this district.

Another issue (esp with regard to a trail around the peaks) is the mountain is a Traditional Cultural Property that requires tribal consultation. Snowbowl and making snow with reclaimed water has used up all the fun cards on that front. Also, the environmental groups here are not reasonable and open to compromise. Especially the Sierra Club.

One thing that folks also forget is there is nothing in the USFS mandate that says they have to make trail. It's up to partners that have a seat at the table to make things happen and hope that there are the right people in the right places open to pushing things through the NEPA process. Lots of hurdles here. One reason for going after the NPS grant that initiated the Flagstaff Trails Inititiave. Now we have the city, county, as well as the Sierra Club as core group members. It's not going to happen fast but it will pay dividends in the end.
    Thank you to all the dedicated people committed to the long game to benifit us all. Hopefully our paths will cross and I can buy you a beer.

mtbr member
    Done. Maybe we should all go in on Mega Millions and throw some cash at the FS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Done