mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Flagstaff trail conditions

Are the Flag trails rideable yet or they still in the muddy state. Riding Sedona but want some mountain pines.
    Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    Are the Flag trails rideable yet or they still in the muddy state. Riding Sedona but want some mountain pines.
    Thanks in advance
    Ya, anything south facing is good to go. North facing above 8,000' not so much. Upper end of Schultz Creek is still muddy with ice/snow patches.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Hey Rockman (or other FLG riders),
    Any beta on the down trees along the AZT?? Specifically from the Snowbowl Rd. crossing to FR418? Sounds like the north slope beyond Bismarck Lake is going to have some snow. It's still about 2 weeks out for the riders heading north on the 750 or 1 1/2 weeks for Kurt!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Hey Rockman (or other FLG riders),
    Any beta on the down trees along the AZT?? Specifically from the Snowbowl Rd. crossing to FR418? Sounds like the north slope beyond Bismarck Lake is going to have some snow. It's still about 2 weeks out for the riders heading north on the 750 or 1 1/2 weeks for Kurt!!
    The downfall on AZT in that segment was cut out in January before the first snowfall but haven't heard anything since then. If anyone else does please send in a report.
    Report Trail Conditions | Setting Wheels in Motion

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The downfall on AZT in that segment was cut out in January before the first snowfall but haven't heard anything since then. If anyone else does please send in a report.
    Report Trail Conditions | Setting Wheels in Motion
    At least one big one on AZT, just west of Chimney Spr road, right after you get off the rocks and break into the grassland. Report submitted.

Otherwise, I can confirm Rockman's assessment of the general trail conditions above FLG... and will reiterate that verdant aspects and all shaded north-facing upper sections of Schultz are best avoided at this time.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    At least one big one on AZT, just west of Chimney Spr road, right after you get off the rocks and break into the grassland. Report submitted.

Otherwise, I can confirm Rockman's assessment of the general trail conditions above FLG... and will reiterate that verdant aspects and all shaded north-facing upper sections of Schultz are best avoided at this time.
    Send that in Rocky. If you have a pic I will mention it to one of the sawyers. It's that short transition period, unless we get another dump, where you go from dust to snow.

Just preaching to the choir but don't...be...that...guy!

Flagstaff trail conditions-fv-trail.jpg

Flagstaff trail conditions-braaap_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Some of the CTR guys are going to get that tree on AZT on Monday.

Once it dries up I'll head out and do the AZT from Snowbowl to 418. We cleared nine or 10 trees in December though.

Rode Rogers Lake trail yesterday. It was awesome!

The .05 percent
    What's the starting betting line on forest closure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    What's the starting betting line on forest closure?
    I'm hoping for a rainy spring but right now the FS folks are thinking that it might be super early.

slower than you
    It's that short transition period, unless we get another dump, where you go from dust to snow.
    nothing dumping anytime soon, based on what i'm looking at. i'm prepping for june-moondust in april.

rode all over the ft valley area this weekend, no pudding anywhere, almost everything turning quickly to dust, a patch or two of snow, mostly visible in the distance, here and there and only above 8500', with just a few of the darker spots on schultz still a little soft (and one desperately sad little stretch of muddy well-trampled ice hanging on for dear life just below the lincoln logs gate), no water in the creek anywhere except for a skosh in the seeps up high.

this here spring gon' be rough.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Ya, anything south facing is good to go. North facing above 8,000' not so much. Upper end of Schultz Creek is still muddy with ice/snow patches.
    A couple of friends and I were planning an MTB trip in the first weekend in June (may 31-June 3) and thinking about coming to ride in Flagstaff from LA. Would all of the trails be open and rideable by then?

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    A couple of friends and I were planning an MTB trip in the first weekend in June (may 31-June 3) and thinking about coming to ride in Flagstaff from LA. Would all of the trails be open and rideable by then?
    If forest service has not closed due to fire danger...going to be a dry one this summer, can't state enough be careful with fire. I don't wan2 lose our trails cause someone couldn't be w/o a camp fire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Rode Rogers Lake trail yesterday. It was awesome!
    Agreed–the trail is in great shape.

Trail signs have been added since my last visit to Rogers Trail in late September 2017.

-db-

Rogers Trail and Flagstaff Loop Trail
    Flagstaff trail conditions-20180402_1209_img_0557.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode lower oldham, rocky ridge, Shultz, AZT, dogfood, Easter island, then socials back to Buffalo park. Everything is clear even just below Lincon Logs on Shultz.

mtbr member
    Pretty much everything is a go except pickup stiks in the IB and Hobbit Forest still has some snow. Rode AZ trail aspen corner down and that's good with one tree down. Enticing enough that even a group of motos was on it. Lame.

slower than you
    Pretty much everything is a go except pickup stiks in the IB and Hobbit Forest still has some snow. Rode AZ trail aspen corner down and that's good with one tree down. Enticing enough that even a group of motos was on it. Lame.
    Spring's gonna be dryer than dry. Heard tell of one unattended, unextinguished campfire on Friedlein Pr. Rd this weekend. And then there was this: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...aff/497590002/

"Residents evacuated from the small forest community of Winona as a wildfire swallowed more than 85 acres east of Flagstaff were allowed to return home Sunday night.

The evacuation of about 75 homes lasted nearly six hours"

Buckle up, y'all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Spring's gonna be dryer than dry. Heard tell of one unattended, unextinguished campfire on Friedlein Pr. Rd this weekend. And then there was this: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...aff/497590002/

"Residents evacuated from the small forest community of Winona as a wildfire swallowed more than 85 acres east of Flagstaff were allowed to return home Sunday night.

The evacuation of about 75 homes lasted nearly six hours"

Buckle up, y'all.
    Those Friedlein Pr. Road campsites are probably going to get that whole side of the Peaks torched at some point if the FS doesn't figure out how to get some control in there. I hate to say it but it might be best if they create a camp ground that is run by a private entity and close dispersed camping off that road.

It would be a real bummer to have our iconic view of the Peaks from town become a barren landscape with only standing matchsticks.

I used to be a big advocate for keeping camping and recreation free on FS lands but after 16 years of living here in AZ my tune sure has changed. The dynamics of managing public lands in such a fire prone area that has a huge population center nearby are so much more complicated than say Nowhere, East Bumblefudge Wyoming.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Those Friedlein Pr. Road campsites are probably going to get that whole side of the Peaks torched at some point if the FS doesn't figure out how to get some control in there. I hate to say it but it might be best if they create a camp ground that is run by a private entity and close dispersed camping off that road.

It would be a real bummer to have our iconic view of the Peaks from town become a barren landscape with only standing matchsticks.

I used to be a big advocate for keeping camping and recreation free on FS lands but after 16 years of living here in AZ my tune sure has changed. The dynamics of managing public lands in such a fire prone area that has a huge population center nearby are so much more complicated than say Nowhere, East Bumblefudge Wyoming.
    On the other hand, the carnage left behind after the 2001 Friedlein Leroux fire created some lovely Peak views all along the GT Trail...

Flagstaff trail conditions-peaksfire.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post

The Leroux fire started at one of those campsites in June 2001. 1250 acres. When you ski southside you come out through the stumps and deadfall.

Flagstaff trail conditions-leroux-fire.jpg

I think the FS has a plan for a managed campground near Snowbowl road and the sites further up Freidlein Prairie Rd will be closed. Half of them are closed anyway most of the summer so as not to disturb those mating owls.

The .05 percent
    Can't recall, they leave Ft Tuthill open during forest closure? Sedona? Just trying to plan for the enevidable
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Can't recall, they leave Ft Tuthill open during forest closure? Sedona? Just trying to plan for the enevidable
    I think Tuthill can stay open but not sure. It's been a long time since the FS has closed the forest. ~2003 perhaps? I would expect that they will issue a stage 1 restriction shortly. Or, they should. Right now the danger is rated high at preparedness level 2 but with no restrictions. The decision making process is more complicated than it might seem. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...telprdb5339123

But in those years when they did go past stage 2 and issue a forest closure not all the forest was closed. About half of Sedona was still open as I recall and not all of Coc in Flag either. I remember being able to ride the stuff of L. Mary Rd like Skunk and Fay Canyon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The last time there was a forest closure parts of Fort Tuthill were closed and parts remained open. That was because part was Coconino County and part was Arizona State Trust Land. All of Fort Tuthill is now county as they purchased the Trust lands.

I can't remember if it was the County forest that closed—or if it was the Trust forest that closed. Dang...memory...issues...

-db-

The .05 percent
    I think Tuthill can stay open but not sure. It's been a long time since the FS has closed the forest. ~2003 perhaps? I would expect that they will issue a stage 1 restriction shortly. Or, they should. Right now the danger is rated high at preparedness level 2 but with no restrictions. The decision making process is more complicated than it might seem. https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cocon...telprdb5339123

But in those years when they did go past stage 2 and issue a forest closure not all the forest was closed. About half of Sedona was still open as I recall and not all of Coc in Flag either. I remember being able to ride the stuff of L. Mary Rd like Skunk and Fay Canyon.
    That works...I guess. Pond on dry lakes pretty empty.

mtbr member
    So there is still snow but fire danger? Please explain.

The .05 percent
    There is no snow below 8500' maybe some patches here and there, but we are in full on dry season. Prob no precip till monsoon, combined with the over lack since last monsoon= high fire danger.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kntr View Post
    So there is still snow but fire danger? Please explain.
    there is barely any snow anywhere now other than a few high north facing pockets.

mtbr member
    A sawyer crew is headed out today to get the 10+ trees down on L. Bear. There's also ~5 down on U. Brookbank. Not sure they'll get that far if anyone is headed out for a ride anytime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    What's the fire situation currently in Flagstaff? There is smoke in Sedona, and I can see smoke billowing up into the sky towards Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    What's the fire situation currently in Flagstaff? There is smoke in Sedona, and I can see smoke billowing up into the sky towards Flagstaff.
    There's two controlled burns in the area. One off L. Mary rd and the other near Munds Park. Better today than tomorrow. The wind is going to howl the next two days.

mtbr member
    A sawyer crew is headed out today to get the 10+ trees down on L. Bear. There's also ~5 down on U. Brookbank. Not sure they'll get that far if anyone is headed out for a ride anytime soon.
    A Coconino Trails Rider crew will be on Friday. Props where due!

slower than you
    The wind is going to howl the next two days.
    is indeed. gusts in the 40-60s are sure to desiccate the duff and deadfall of any remnant moisture.

Name:  wind.PNG
Views: 201
Size:  46.4 KB

fire-weather forecast has got us pretty f'd at this point.

sure wish the land-managers would do something now in light of all these foreboding variables which are daily increasing in their potency.

which amendment is it again that guarantees us the right to freely make and abandon campfires?

mtbr member
    A Coconino Trails Rider crew will be on Friday. Props where due!
    You are a man of many hats. Or, lids.

mtbr member
    You are a man of many hats. Or, lids.
    I don't discriminate when it comes to two wheeled fun or outdoor entertainment. There's already plenty of elitists who believe their form is the only relevant and acceptable form.

I'll probably be back out with the saw next week after the wind storm. Haven't been on AZT towards 418. Any status on that section?

mtbr member
    I don't discriminate when it comes to two wheeled fun or outdoor entertainment. There's already plenty of elitists who believe their form is the only relevant and acceptable form.

I'll probably be back out with the saw next week after the wind storm. Haven't been on AZT towards 418. Any status on that section?
    Nope, haven't been out that way nor have I gotten any ride reports. The gate on 151 to 148 is open so you can drive to that end of the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Have the controlled burns ended for now? Are there more scheduled?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Have the controlled burns ended for now? Are there more scheduled?
    Cancelled for today and tomorrow. Unfortunately there's a new fire 4 miles west of Flagstaff. https://twitter.com/CoconinoNF

You can get more info on planned controlled burns here.
    https://ein.az.gov/emergency-informa...ational-forest

slower than you
    Cancelled for today and tomorrow. Unfortunately there's a new fire 4 miles west of Flagstaff. https://twitter.com/CoconinoNF

You can get more info on planned controlled burns here.
    https://ein.az.gov/emergency-informa...ational-forest
    And you can get more-or-less current info about active wildfire and prescribed fire incidents here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/ and here: Wildfire News

And generally up-to-date info on current fire restrictions on all types of public and private lands can be found here: https://firerestrictions.us/az/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks rockman. According to the info, the burns should have finished on April 6. I guess they couldn't do them last week for some reason?

By the way, if the campers in Sedona are any indication then Sedona is going to burn to the ground by next week, but I guess if 10 people camping on an acre of land can't all have campfires going, then you don't have a country.