Flagstaff roads/trails- Mtbr.com
    In the rear with the beer

Flagstaff roads/trails

Hey guys of the north...any of the lower trails ridable up in Flag? Soldier trail, forest roads, anything? worst case, is lake mary road clear enough for a road ride? Going up for the weekend, can't ski, but wanna get some exercise in...no epics, just an hour or 2.....

2nd question: any suggestions on places to do some snowshoeing??

Thanks in advance.
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

mtbr member
    Man, we got slammed with the wet damp white stuff. Lake mary road may be ridable, but only where its wide. Wouldn't risk riding the first three miles of LMR out of town. People are not giving much passing room while driving. We are getting the typical melt, slush, freeze and repeat cycle. And you can snowshoe just about anywhere. Early mornings before the melt. Buffalo park is pretty nice in the early hours. Kinda cool to hikesnowshoe down oldham to gloria's rocks and back.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    If you don't mind paying to play, the nordic center rents snowshoe gear (in addition to X-C ski gear). They are north of Snowbowl on Hwy 180. Otherwise, any areas in the trees should offer plenty of snow to play on. I also agree with Chalkpaw... get out there before noon before the snow heats up and turns to mush if you want to snowshoe.

To do any road rides near Flag would be risky... no shoulders on the road right now, and you would probably want studded tires to boot.

The Flag nordic center has great trails, especially with recent snow. At least snowshoe if you don't XC ski.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried riding soldiers trail the other day at noon on my Pugsley and never even got close - started at Wal-Mart. The snow is deep and wet.

In the rear with the beer
    Once I got here I realized I can snowshoe right off my patio....I forgot how much of a work out snowshoeing can be.....me and the fiance did it for 2 hours today....brutal, especially since we were both coming off some big bike/run miles the past few days. Legs are shot. Beer is helping though!!!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Members who have read this thread: 0