mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Flagstaff riding season

I'm planning a trip to Flagstaff and Sedona for the first week of April. We're wondering what how rideable the trails in Flagstaff are at this time (snow coverage)? Would it be better to spend more time in Sedona / other places and skip Flagstaff?

mtbr member
    I've only ridden Rocky Ridge which is bone dry but I suspect Fort Valley and Campbell Mesa are all a go. If March stays dry and warm then there will be quite a bit of riding to be had the first week of April in Flagstaff. Sedona doesn't suck either. By other places if you mean Prescott that's pretty good too.

Bored Carp
    Fort Valley is good to go. Couple of stream crossings and Middle Earth is a stream right now, but the main trails are great. Couple of soft spots the motos have been rutting up a bit, but nothing unusual or noteworthy, really. Campell Mesa was good a couple a weeks ago, I haven't been out in a bit.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Fort Valley is good to go. Couple of stream crossings and Middle Earth is a stream right now, but the main trails are great. Couple of soft spots the motos have been rutting up a bit, but nothing unusual or noteworthy, really. Campell Mesa was good a couple a weeks ago, I haven't been out in a bit.
    Didn't know you were in Flag. I remember your posts from the Utah forum.
    Last edited by rockman; 03-15-2017 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Man it sure would be sweet if the RR to Lower Old Ham trail areas were an actual well built stacked loop system being that they dry out so quickly. I mean, we could basically have a killer little trail system that would be rideable for the majority of drier winters and make for killer loop options during shoulder seasons.

But hey, lets not get uninspired locals (that lack any vision) panties into a bunch with the idea of changing anything. Upper Old Ham and the Heart Trail are super sick as they are....right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Man it sure would be sweet if the RR to Lower Old Ham trail areas were an actual well built stacked loop system being that they dry out so quickly. I mean, we could basically have a killer little trail system that would be rideable for the majority of drier winters and make for killer loop options during shoulder seasons.

But hey, lets not get uninspired locals (that lack any vision) panties into a bunch with the idea of changing anything. Upper Old Ham and the Heart Trail are super sick as they are....right?
    I don't think the FS has any plans for RR but it did get some maintenance last Fall. I have to admit I do have a soft spot for L. Oldham as it is, but it could use a couple of reroutes. Thinning doesn't even start until late August on Phase 1 so no plans this year for L. Oldham or a rerouted connector to Buffalo Park. One of these days.

On a related note, the city has given up on the Y as a TH. The doctor that owns part of the parcel has been incarcerated so the plan now is to move the Schultz Creek TH a little further east.

Bored Carp
    Yep, had to move a bit closer to work - this is as close to Phoenix as I can get without dropping off the plateau. :-) Good riding here, but I don't know it super well yet.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

The .05 percent

This!! $$$

mtbr member
    In for NEPA. Should know mid-April. Booyah!

Name:  heart-l-elden-layout_small.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  51.7 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    In for NEPA. Should know mid-April. Booyah!

Name:  heart-l-elden-layout_small.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  51.7 KB
    Sweet!
    Last edited by raisingarizona; 03-17-2017 at 01:49 PM.

The .05 percent
    Man that looks like sh#t. If the Heart Trail and Sandy Seep is changed to something like that I'm going to be totally pissed. Way to dumb it down Flagstaff. I used to ride all over that sh#t on a unicycle naked and on fire while wearing a cock ring, it used to be a total "cosmic" experience but now you guys are going to make it sweet for 90% of riders, totally lame. That's it......I'm moving to somewhere in Nevada where sh$tty fall line trails rule and no one else is around because the riding is way too rad for them but perfect for my superior bad ass.
    Time for u to go to bed
    Last edited by sinatorj; 03-17-2017 at 03:14 PM.

The .05 percent
    Just got back n town, what's dry in the DLH area? Thanks for your support.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Just got back n town, what's dry in the DLH area? Thanks for your support.
    Loop trail with AZ trail/Fisher Pt is riding nice if your feeling tired from all that partying at Rocky Point.

Bored Carp
    FWIW, rode up Brookbank yesterday from the Elden road side. Trail is dry until you get to the top, there are 4 trees down. The seasonal lake is big, muddy and pretty. I didn't ride to the other side of the meadow, didn't want to screw with the mud or mess up the trail or new meadow growth, figured the Schultz side would be mostly creek anyway. I'm not the only one that has been up there, quite a few tracks in the dust, saw some hikers.

The .05 percent
    Loop trail with AZ trail/Fisher Pt is riding nice if your feeling tired from all that partying at Rocky Point.
    Na, week of boating and boarding in salida. Rode yesterday, dry below the pipeline. Should try to get out sometime...
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Anyone know of the current conditions of the AZT from Fort Valley up to Aspen Corner?

A couple of friends from Austin are heading to Sedona mid-Apr and I was hoping to drag them up and down that section as part of a larger ride.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    Anyone know of the current conditions of the AZT from Fort Valley up to Aspen Corner?

A couple of friends from Austin are heading to Sedona mid-Apr and I was hoping to drag them up and down that section as part of a larger ride.
    I'm going to venture an educated guess: unrideable once the trail crests the ridge and you're on the northern verdant slopes. Having spent a great deal of timing driving the road to ski during our spring break last week, I think this is likely to be a fair assessment.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    I'm going to venture an educated guess: unrideable once the trail crests the ridge and you're on the northern verdant slopes. Having spent a great deal of timing driving the road to ski during our spring break last week, I think this is likely to be a fair assessment.
    If it stays warm and dry it will most likely be rideable by mid-April. No doubt there will be deadfall and blowdown that will need to get cut out.

slower than you
    If it stays warm and dry it will most likely be rideable by mid-April. No doubt there will be deadfall and blowdown that will need to get cut out.
    Agreed, come April.

However, in my own defense, Patrick initially asked for an assessment of the "current conditions" for the trail before asking about April.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick View Post
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Agreed, come April.

However, in my own defense, Patrick initially asked for an assessment of the "current conditions" for the trail before asking about April.
    Well then, Evil P has the bases covered. Right now it's a No-Go and in 3 weeks a Could-Go.

But need to get a sawyer out there. Chainslap to the courtesy phone. There's two trees down on Moto as well.

The .05 percent
    After yesterday was going to say Kentucky Waterfall, Get some... Too late will have to wait.
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Well then, Evil P has the bases covered. Right now it's a No-Go and in 3 weeks a Could-Go.

But need to get a sawyer out there. Chainslap to the courtesy phone. There's two trees down on Moto as well.
    Looks like it will be a few weeks before I get out! About a foot of snow down at my house in Bader.

Gives me time to buy a new saw anyways...Was planning on clearing some of the Airport/Kelly moto trails this week as there was a surprising amount down.

Need a site to report deadfall to so myself or the FS guys can get out. I do plan on working with them a lot this season as an extra hand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Looks like it will be a few weeks before I get out! About a foot of snow down at my house in Bader.

Gives me time to buy a new saw anyways...Was planning on clearing some of the Airport/Kelly moto trails this week as there was a surprising amount down.

Need a site to report deadfall to so myself or the FS guys can get out. I do plan on working with them a lot this season as an extra hand.
    Well, it's not going to stick around long. But hey, don't let a little snow stop you from getting out. Maybe our local x-games winner will show up for a trail day

Flagstaff riding season-braaap_1.jpg

Flagstaff riding season-braaap_2.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, it's not going to stick around long. But hey, don't let a little snow stop you from getting out. Maybe our local x-games winner will show up for a trail day
    Pffft, why deal with that nonsense, when there are Timbersleds?

That was still the most fun I've had on "two wheels" this year! Looks like Polaris may set us up with a couple as well.

mtbr member
    Web: Pivot Cycles / Instagram: @pivot_cyclesusa / Facebook: Pivot Cycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pivot Cycles View Post
    What's the deadfall removal procedure around here?
    Send an email with the trail and general location to the trails Sean Murphy, trail coordinator with the FS. smurphy@fs.fed.us

Or, trails@flagstaffbiking.org

Either way, the message will get out. They get on it pretty quick. Non-system trails and we're on our own.

slower than you
    Send an email with the trail and general location to the trails Sean Murphy, trail coordinator with the FS. smurphy@fs.fed.us

Or, trails@flagstaffbiking.org

Either way, the message will get out. They get on it pretty quick. Non-system trails and we're on our own.
    It's a bit like Tunguska out there right now, especially where they thinned last summer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

mtbr member
    Implying that there is more blowdown of healthy trees because adjacent ones have been thinned? That happens at Snowblow but those are spruce and not P-pine.

Seems like Sean and the FS get after it pretty quick but with more thinning about to commence maybe we should build an online form and make it public that emails Sean so that he can either get his crew on it, or if it's big with several trees (requiring one or more sawyers and spotters) the fire suppression guys.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Implying that there is more blowdown of healthy trees because adjacent ones have been thinned? That happens at Snowblow but those are spruce and not P-pine.

Seems like Sean and the FS get after it pretty quick but with more thinning about to commence maybe we should build an online form and make it public that emails Sean so that he can either get his crew on it, or if it's big with several trees (requiring one or more sawyers and spotters) the fire suppression guys.
    That makes sense. I've been told that trees root for the conditions they experience while growing. If we remove the wind fence suddenly they aren't going to be prepared for their new environment. We definitely saw that this season along the newly cut ski runs at the Bowl or at least that's what it looked like to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I will be flying into Phoenix tomorrow and driving to Flagstaff for work. I'll be in Flagstaff Wednesday and Thursday, then driving to Kingman for Friday and Saturday. Flying back from Las Vegas on Sunday. I should be free in the early evenings. Where would you suggest I rent a bike and find some beginner/intermediate trails. I'm a fat guy coming from Wisconsin so take it easy on me. Most of your trails are probably out of my league. I ride a Pivot Mach 429SL as my "long travel" race rig, otherwise I ride my rigid SS or fatbike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If you can pull it off I would go for a drive down to Sedona to ride the West side trail system. It's mostly snow or mud up here, maybe Rocky ridge and Lower Oldham stuff is in play but those aren't what I'd call super quality flag trails. It's ok to get a ride in but your overall experience would be a lot better in Sedona right now imho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    I will be flying into Phoenix tomorrow and driving to Flagstaff for work. I'll be in Flagstaff Wednesday and Thursday, then driving to Kingman for Friday and Saturday. Flying back from Las Vegas on Sunday. I should be free in the early evenings. Where would you suggest I rent a bike and find some beginner/intermediate trails. I'm a fat guy coming from Wisconsin so take it easy on me. Most of your trails are probably out of my league. I ride a Pivot Mach 429SL as my "long travel" race rig, otherwise I ride my rigid SS or fatbike.
    Call Absolute Bikes or Bike Revolution in Flag to see if they have any rentals available. Most if not all of Absolute's rentals are at the Sedona store but for sure FBR will have some bikes. RA's recommendation is a good one but not much in the way of beginner/intermediate in Sedona and a red rock intermediate is an expert trail most anywhere else except Canada where it would be a green

Hit Campbell Mesa on the east side or the Fort Valley trail system on the west side. Just had a bit more snow last week but both those areas should be pretty dry by now and will be by the time you get here. If that is, the bulk of this next storm goes north like the last one.

slower than you
    Hit Campbell Mesa on the east side or the Fort Valley trail system on the west side. Just had a bit more snow last week but both those areas should be pretty dry by now and will be by the time you get here. If that is, the bulk of this next storm goes north like the last one.
    Currently Ft Valley is fine in the rhyolite/dacite but increasingly boggy as it transitions into basalt going west. Ft Valley can be easily accessed right now from Schultz at first or second exit but your feet will get wet in the process; Schultz has been raging for weeks. Above the AZ Trail exit, Schultz is a slog on knee-deep breakable crust. Conversely, Rocket Ridge and the south Elden trails are all wide open and dry. Top portions of lower Oldham are likely to have some snow, but shouldn't be impassable. Cannot confirm this first-hand, however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    One point that no one has mentioned is that Arizona stays on Mountain Standard Time year round. That means that sunset is at ~6:45 p.m. Depending on how late your meetings go that may limit the amount of time you have to ride.

I'm going to go along with Rockmans suggestion of Campbell Mesa on the east side.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all of the replies. I don't think Sedona will work with my schedule. I land in PHX at noon so I wouldn't make it to Sedona until probably 3:00. By the time I rented a bike I'd have an hour to ride. I'm going to find out what our testing schedule looks like for Thursday. If we will be done early, I'll rent a bike in Flagstaff Wednesday afternoon and ride Campbell Mesa that night and then Fort Valley Thursday.

On Friday we will make it to Kingman early, so I'll get a bike there too to ride Friday and Saturday evening. I'm going to be ruined for my local trails after this trip.

The .05 percent
    Ginger. Git sum!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sorry for the long post...

I feel fortunate to be able to write this. I made a few potentially grave mistakes when riding in Flagstaff. I flew out of Milwaukee early and arrived in Phoenix on time. I drove directly to Absolute Bikes in Flagstaff; I didnít stop to eat because I was too excited to ride. Absolute Bikes is a great LBS and they were very helpful. They only had Rockhoppers in their rental fleet in my size. They did not have paper maps of the area, but told me about the Trail Forks app for my phone. I downloaded the app and the local map. I went to my hotel to change and was off to the trailhead. I decided to ride the Campbell Mesa system based on the fact it is all green trails and should be dry. As I mentioned in previous posts I am not a strong or skilled rider, I would rate myself as scared beginner at best. Iíve been racing in the citizen Clydesdale XC class for a few years here in WI. I had a fully charged phone, a water bottle, and car keys with me when I left the trailhead.

The first part of the ride I felt great. My heartrate was a little higher than normal and it didnít recover quite as quickly, which I would attribute to the 7000 ft. elevation difference between Appleton WI and Flagstaff. According to the trail app all trails looked to loop back into the same system. I started out on Campbell Mesa which said 5.9mi. I got to the intersection with Walnut Meadows and it looked interesting and I was feeling good so I rode it. I then came to an intersection with the AZ trail system. The trail looked good and I still had lots of daylight left. My Polar GPS watch said I had ridden 8.5 miles in 44 minutes. When I got to the next intersection is where I made a mistake. The trail signage said Fisher Point 6.4mi, so I thought that would be a good distance for the remainder of my ride. The terrain got progressively more technical and I started to find sections I had to walk based on my lack of skill, then I felt a dreaded buzz in my pocket.

My phone battery was dead. I was starting to run low on water and my legs were cramping a little. I continued past the scary downhill sections and started doing lots of rocky somewhat technical climbs which I was able to clear without drama, but my leg cramps were getting bad. I came to a trail intersection and it said Fisher Point 0.1mi, I was all excited because I thought I would be looping back into the trail system soon. Wrong! Fisher Point is the end of the trail. The view is spectacular, but now I was scared to death. I was out of water now, cramping, and the sun was getting low in the sky. I hopped on the bike and started to haul ass back down the hill in the opposite direction I came from. I eventually hooked up with the Walnut Canyon trail and rode towards the setting sun hoping for the best. I could hear the highway in the distance, so I figured I was headed towards civilization.

It was getting dark but I could still see pretty well when I came across a herd of elk. There were 30-40 of them about 30 yards away from where I was. They were not running, but moving at a decent pace. At this point my mind started to play tricks on me. Why were they moving quickly? Eventually, the sun set, the air grew cold, and I was walking the bike in the dark. I could just make out the trail by the darker color of the dirt. I was very scared at this point. My legs were not working well, I was out of water long ago and I hadnít eaten anything for 15 hours.

I was starting to think I would end up being food for wild animals and where I should lay down for the night, when I saw lights flickering in the trees. I headed towards the lights of a subdivision. I climbed a barbed wire fence and went to the first house I found. The old man who answered the door at the last house on E. Sleeper Hollow Ct. said he was not from around here and slammed the door in my face. I walked out to S. Clubhouse Cir. Multiple cars drove past me as I waved frantically for help, none stopped. Finally, I heard a group of guys on a porch having a good time at what is labeled as Pine Canyon Retreat on the map. They invited me in, gave me water, let me call my extremely worried wife, and got me an Uber ride back to my rental car.

So that is my story. I learned many valuable lessons, and didnít pay a huge price for them.

My other ride is your mom
    ^Where was your 2nd ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    my legs were junk the next day and we had a lot of testing to do, so I returned the bike and didn't any more free time the rest of the trip.

^bummer. I spent plenty of time in Appleton at the Pierce/Oshkosh Firetruck factory and the cheese factory over 10 years ago...eating as much squeaky cheese as I could stuff in my craw. I call that place the land of cheese and gravy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I work for Pierce as a Project Engineer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I work for Pierce as a Project Engineer.
    So what did you learn from your experience? Just curious.

slower than you
    Sorry for the long post...

I feel fortunate to be able to write this. [snip]

So that is my story. I learned many valuable lessons, and didnít pay a huge price for them.
    Dood! Welcome to FLG! Fisher Point has long been a popular first-ride, first-bonk inaugural experience for Flagstaff-newbs.

Some 30 years ago now, I, too, took my first ride in FLG from town out to Fisher Point about a week after I moved here from the desert with no idea what I was getting in to in terms of distance and elevation. Got caught in a big-ol' rainstorm, bogged down in endless mud. Suffered hard for hours in the middle of what felt, at the time, to be nowhere. I bonked so hard on the way back that I hallucinated translucent serpents coming up out of the ground shortly before I passed out on a park-bench at NAU, about three miles short of my apartment. I was stoked that my bike was still laying in the grass nearby when I awoke in the dark several hours later. Had to walk the last miles home, I literally could not pedal at that point. Ate a whole commercial kitchen-sized can of Peaches in heavy syrup and drank what felt like a full gallon of water in about one swig when I finally got home.

Nevertheless, this experience did not deter me, as I hope yours will not deter you, from figuring out the trails and geography and climate of northern Arizona on a bike. It's moments like these that define us as cyclists (or not). Good on ya for persisting and not just sitting down and giving up.

Thanks for sharing your epic tale. Hope your next ride in FLG is way better.

A whole can of peaches? Did you yurp later?

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    A whole can of peaches? Did you yurp later?
    shat peach purťe for days

I think in Moscow, Trump called that the "fuzzy navel"

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I like the Trailforks phone app for trail
    orientation. If I have a low battery issue I turn the phone off to conserve battery life. If I am going the wrong direction I turn around and retrace my route to my starting point.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I like the Trailforks phone app for trail
    orientation. If I have a low battery issue I turn the phone off to conserve battery life. If I am going the wrong direction I turn around and retrace my route to my starting point.
    Sounds problematic after 20 miles and a setting sun.

Meatbomb
    Oh what a country...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glad that you are ok slowride454! What a story!

So I rode the AZT past Snowbowl Rd. Rode well for almost 3 miles after the road. Got to (Aspen Corner?) and there were to many downed trees and snow patches so I turned around.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    So what did you learn from your experience? Just curious.
    don't rely on electronics for navigation. Bring an extra battery pack to charge phone. Use a paper map. Bring more water than you think you will need. EAT!!! Bring a light even if you know you will be back before dark. When riding new, unfamiliar trails, plan ahead. If I had mapped out my ride before I left for this trip I would have had a much better and safer experience.

I'm glad I did it though. Hopefully I'll be able to ride in the southwest again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

New question here. Trail Conditions in Flagstaff the Last Week of April

I've been enjoying reading this thread and am glad you made it out alright slowride.

I have a couple of friends that had to be rescued while riding the Whole Enchilada a few years back after they got lost, then lost their map, ran out of food and water and the sun went down. They had to hike back up the mountain until they found cell service and called for help. They got rescued about 5am after freezing all night.

I never travel without a map and extra water after hearing their story. Matches might not be a bad idea either.

-------------

Hubby and I are driving down to Sedona from Ontario, Canada in a week and a half. We leave here on April 20th. We should hit Flagstaff on Saturday, April 22nd on route to Sedona to meet friends. We might sneak in a ride before continuing on south.

We rode the area in October 2014 before and loved it! We rode up Elden Lookout Road to Sunset Trail and Shultz Creek. Great trail! I loved the Arizona trail from the Snowbowl to Moto to Shultz, talk about a fast flowy ride!

Once we hook up with our friends and ride in Sedona a bit we would love to go back and do some shuttles up there, April 27th-28th. Are any of these trails going to be ride-able in a few weeks?

Thanks for any trail info in advance. I really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    don't rely on electronics for navigation. Bring an extra battery pack to charge phone. Use a paper map. Bring more water than you think you will need. EAT!!! Bring a light even if you know you will be back before dark. When riding new, unfamiliar trails, plan ahead. If I had mapped out my ride before I left for this trip I would have had a much better and safer experience.

I'm glad I did it though. Hopefully I'll be able to ride in the southwest again.
    Good stuff. Research and planning is key imo. I would never put all of my eggs into the electronic basket going into the unknown.

If you like survival stuff or just being in the outdoors check out Deep Survival by Laurence Gonzales. It's a fascinating book on the psychology behind who lives and who dies in survival situations. It sounds like you really messed up going into your adventure but then you did a lot right to get out of your little mess.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_71cqajbjdp_b

From what I got in that book, the main thing is keeping a cool head, once people go into freak out mode everything goes to sh#t!

slower than you
    It's a bit like Tunguska out there right now, especially where they thinned last summer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event
    Sawyers have begun work on AZ/Onceler Trail near Schultz Pass having left only a couple big-uns too large to cut with portable saws, I think. Thanks, sawyers!

Some very big trees down out there, in places by the dozens upon dozens, interlaced like pick-up-sticks. Check out this rootball:

Flagstaff riding season-17855636_10154554327978123_7756123341026611020_o.jpg

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Glad you made it okay......I have a small bag I toss in my pack when I'm.....

-Out of town
    -Unfamiliar environment
    -Potential long rescue response

It has a few of those kick ass matches, a space blanket sleeping bag thingy, an energy bar or two, a headlamp, some salt tablets, pain meds, benadryl, and a extra nanopuff type shell jacket.

Paper maps are huge, don't rely on Trailforks even though it is awesome.
    I always text a buddy who knows the trails where I'm at and let him know which route I'm on so someone knows where Im at.

Look at it as a growing experience....

Knowing that if I had to I could start a fire and stay warm is huge

Like me some Pierce's...currently in a KME though.....

Will AZT north from the Snowbowl parking lot be clear at the end of the month?

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post

Will AZT north from the Snowbowl parking lot be clear at the end of the month?
    By the end of April? I'm gonna say it's not likely. Still lots and lots of snow up high on north facing slopes. The section past Bismarck Lake going north may stay snowbound for some time this season.

I did a ride last year from Snowbowl north on the AZT to those aspen groves, then on a dirt road back up to the west and then south again and cut over to just below where I started....then back down the AZT towards town......Think that's doable by April 26th?

Thanks1

Doable, yes. Without significant HAB over snow and deadfall, no.

Ah, bocce balls. I was really looking forward to that one again....Guess I'll have to look lower, thanks!

I guess this ride is Hart Prairie Loop? We did that but then continued down the AZT towards Schultz. There was a bit of snow and some downed trees initially, but nothing significant. There was however just past the connector to get back to the AZT just below Snowball, pretty good concentration of downed trees......Normal? Maybe a microburst or something? The trail crews up there are pretty awesome, I did this ride in June last year and it was all clear.

mtbr member
    I guess this ride is Hart Prairie Loop? We did that but then continued down the AZT towards Schultz. There was a bit of snow and some downed trees initially, but nothing significant. There was however just past the connector to get back to the AZT just below Snowball, pretty good concentration of downed trees......Normal? Maybe a microburst or something? The trail crews up there are pretty awesome, I did this ride in June last year and it was all clear.
    The trees are pretty thick in there. And it's been a very windy end to the month of April. If you feel so inclined you can report the downed trees here: Report Trail Conditions | Setting Wheels in Motion

Not sure when the FS crew is going to make their way over there but they recently cleaned up the AZ trail closer to the tank and will hit the large down tree on Secret, the big one on Schultz, and maybe the one on Moto that's now turned into a jump.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    According to some AZTR750 riders, the AZT north of FR418 was in good shape, only 2-3 trees down. There's about 6 miles of sweet singletrack north of FR418 that tends to fall under the radar. In the meantime, you could probably take the AZT to Snowbowl rd, climb the road to Aspen Corner, AZT to Bismarck Lake, then ride FR627 - FR151 - FR418 to the AZT for a decent ride. This would skip the largest concentration of trees and north facing trail areas for the time being.

Of course this suggestion comes from PHX, just basing it on what I know of the area and a few of the trail reports I've been hearing the past couple of weeks. I'm sure the Flag guys came chime in if it's way off base!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    The trees on Secret and Moto got cut out today. They start on the AZ trail between FS418 and Snowbowl Rd tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Good morning!

My wife are in town for the weekend and have some time to hop on the bikes. I was wondering if the Schultz Pass Loop is rideable yet? We dont have time to make it to Sedona unfortunately.

Also what would you recommend in the area for a more advanced ride? I was looking at the Walnut Canyon trail as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Ride: 2016 Yeti SB5.5c
    Retired: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

The .05 percent
    If anyone feels motivated there are 5 trees down on Keni one is 30" and covers trail in 2 spots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    Good morning!

My wife are in town for the weekend and have some time to hop on the bikes. I was wondering if the Schultz Pass Loop is rideable yet? We dont have time to make it to Sedona unfortunately.

Also what would you recommend in the area for a more advanced ride? I was looking at the Walnut Canyon trail as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Schultz up top is good including the bottom of little gnarly (I think that is the trail that joins schultz at the green gate) as of Tuesday when I was up there. The bottom half had a few water crossings, and the rock garden at the bottom is partially wiped out . It appears ride-able. When I was coming down it I pulled off to let a party coming up go, they were mostly just riding through the area that was a stream a week ago, since a large portion of the trail is gone. Fort Valley, and dog food were ride-able, and for the most part so was AZT/equestrian bypass. There were two extremely large trees down on azt/bypass that you have to climb over (again as of Tuesday). 99% of the trails I rode on the east side of schultz pass road are dry.

slower than you
    The trees on Secret and Moto got cut out today. They start on the AZ trail between FS418 and Snowbowl Rd tomorrow.
    winds keep dropping 'em just as fast as they cut 'em. couple new ones on secret after saturday's wind. big suckers, too.

mtbr member
    winds keep dropping 'em just as fast as they cut 'em. couple new ones on secret after saturday's wind. big suckers, too.
    Did you drop Sean an email? The FBO reporting form also goes directly to him.
    Report Trail Conditions | Setting Wheels in Motion

mtbr member
    This time of year is hard to stay on top of things. Lot's of big trees this year too...

Definitely use that FBO link, it also goes directly to me also. Sean and I are going out later this week to work on the Kelly system but I'm going out tomorrow or Wednesday to do some work on Ft Valley/AZT.

slower than you
    Did you drop Sean an email? The FBO reporting form also goes directly to him.
    Report Trail Conditions | Setting Wheels in Motion
    Done.

I entered a report for the downed trees. A buddy of mine was hiking the AZT and said that the section between FR 418 and the turnoff for Snowbowl had been cleared. Great system!

mtbr member
    I entered a report for the downed trees. A buddy of mine was hiking the AZT and said that the section between FR 418 and the turnoff for Snowbowl had been cleared. Great system!
    Nice! Thanks for the report.

There's a few trees down on Little Bear if anyone is planning to ride that in the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A buddy of mine was hiking the AZT and said that the section between FR 418 and the turnoff for Snowbowl had been cleared. Great system!
    Uh...no. We are currently riding on AZT between Aspen Corner and FR418 and there are several dozen trees down plus some snow and mud. Must have been some other section.

-DB-

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Uh...no. We are currently riding on AZT between Aspen Corner and FR418 and there are several dozen trees down plus some snow and mud. Must have been some other section.

-DB-
    I will always take a DB "live on the scene" trail conditions update as the most solid-gold assessment possible and assume that it is a thousand times more accurate than whatever anyone else's "buddy" might think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just came through Sedona to ride, but I'm a wuss when it comes to heat, so I'm headed to Flagstaff to ride Thursday and Friday (then come back to Sedona when it's in the 60s this weekend!).

I'm looking at what seem like nice rides on MTBProject. Old English - Oldham Elden Loop looks like a pretty good ride. Anything in particular I should definitely not pass up?

My fitness is decent and I can handle most trails but happily hike a bike when I run out of talent.

If any locals are riding the next couple days and wouldn't mind showing an out of towner some local flavor I would't say no. I've got Trailforks like the rest of the MTB world, so I can get around, but you can't beat local knowledge. I'm new to this altitude, so I'll probably sound like an asthmatic on the climbs.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post

-DB-
    Added a few photos from the trail...

Flagstaff riding season-20170503_1457_dsc01872.jpg

Flagstaff riding season-20170503_1500_dsc01873.jpg

Even with treefall, snow, and mud it was still a great day and fun ride.

-db-

mtbr member
    AZT from Aspen corner to Snowbowl road is clear. Most of Ft Valley too.

Ahhh the pain....
    Not sure if someone already sent a note about the big tree across Easter Island (or is it called "inner earth"?)...
    Anyone ridden up Waterline? I tried 2 weeks ago and it was a mess w deadfall. I moved some smaller ones out of the way, but many need a sawyer.
    Down here on my local shred at Munds Park, the wife and I cleared 6 trees on the local Crystal Pt. trail with our wimpy little bow saws, but then right near the top came across about a 2' dia old dead thing across the trail...no bueno.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Not sure if someone already sent a note about the big tree across Easter Island (or is it called "inner earth"?)...
    Anyone ridden up Waterline? I tried 2 weeks ago and it was a mess w deadfall. I moved some smaller ones out of the way, but many need a sawyer.
    Down here on my local shred at Munds Park, the wife and I cleared 6 trees on the local Crystal Pt. trail with our wimpy little bow saws, but then right near the top came across about a 2' dia old dead thing across the trail...no bueno.
    Easter Island/Middle Earth is not a system trail so the FS won't clear it. Some other trail fairy might though...

mtbr member
    Waterline will get taken care of by the city. I'm surprised they haven't been up there. Especially given that they already had one break in the line. That's what caused all the erosion on lower Schultz.

mtbr member
    Thank you sawyers! Tree was down by fisher point.