Flagstaff Hotel Suggestion, kids suggestion- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Flagstaff Hotel Suggestion, kids suggestion

I need a place for the family while I'm doing the Crazy 88 (Schultz Tank\Sunset TH). It'd be great if there is something closer to that part of tow - I know there are tons right in downtown that may be overpriced and noisy, and a bunch on the East side near 40 that are generic but probably better for my needs? low key and affordable, but not a dump. . Any playgrounds or pools would be a bonus.

also, any suggestions for parks\playgrounds where the kids can kill a few hrs?

Thank you!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    Little America is nice .. Might be over the budget though.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Little America is nice .. Might be over the budget though.
    yes it is! I stayed there 2 years ago when my wife had a conference - big room, food, pool, playground and trails. but a bit pricey since I'm paying for this one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Stayed at the Inn+Suites on 66 for a night. It was clean, comfortable, and inexpensive. Only a few minutes to downtown.

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    I need a place for the family while I'm doing the Crazy 88 (Schultz Tank\Sunset TH). It'd be great if there is something closer to that part of tow - I know there are tons right in downtown that may be overpriced and noisy, and a bunch on the East side near 40 that are generic but probably better for my needs? low key and affordable, but not a dump. . Any playgrounds or pools would be a bonus.

also, any suggestions for parks\playgrounds where the kids can kill a few hrs?

Thank you!
    When is the crazy 88?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    When is the crazy 88?
    8-8

http://www.handlebarsandwich.com/crazy-88

mtbr member
    We found nice park at the bottom of the drive up to Lowell Observatory. Also fun to take a drive up to the top and nice hiking trails from the parking lot in the back left hand corner.
    Park very family friendly and close to downtown. We stayed at Ramada right off freeway. not hot but only $65 on priceline.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    We found nice park at the bottom of the drive up to Lowell Observatory. Also fun to take a drive up to the top and nice hiking trails from the parking lot in the back left hand corner.
    Park very family friendly and close to downtown. We stayed at Ramada right off freeway. not hot but only $65 on priceline.
    Yep, that's called Thorpe Park and is probably the nicest one in Flagstaff. At least as far as a playground goes. And it's right next to the disc golf course. Another nice and quiet park is in Cheshire across from the turn to the Shultz Creek trailhead.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Yep, that's called Thorpe Park and is probably the nicest one in Flagstaff. At least as far as a playground goes. And it's right next to the disc golf course. Another nice and quiet park is in Cheshire across from the turn to the Shultz Creek trailhead.
    perfect!! thank you.

Fragile - must be Italian
    What's your budget?

I was going to suggest the Hilton Garden Inn near the I-40...but I am guessing it will be $100-125/night. To me that's pretty cheap...but to others, anything over $100/night is "outrageous". I travel all the time for business so I know what you have to pay for a decent hotel (one that doesn't have doors facing the parking lot).

There is a Hampton Inn nearby as well.

Both hotels have a nice pool and are walking distance to a lot of shops and restaurants.

Thx...Doug

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    What's your budget?

I was going to suggest the Hilton Garden Inn near the I-40...but I am guessing it will be $100-125/night. To me that's pretty cheap...but to others, anything over $100/night is "outrageous". I travel all the time for business so I know what you have to pay for a decent hotel (one that doesn't have doors facing the parking lot).

Both hotels have a nice pool and are walking distance to a lot of shops and restaurants.

Thx...Doug
    anything over 25 bucks in Flagstaff is outrageous.

parenting for gnarness
    What's your budget?

Thx...Doug
    really we just want a clean dry room, electricity. Camping with 2 kids and (effectively) one parent is too much to dump on Mrs Cball. ~$70 seems to have a lot of chains that should be ok, like some others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    really we just want a clean dry room, electricity. Camping with 2 kids and (effectively) one parent is too much to dump on Mrs Cball. ~$70 seems to have a lot of chains that should be ok, like some others mentioned.
    ~$70 gets you a motel...not a hotel.

When I travel with my family I refuse to stay in any motel with exterior doors that face the parking lot. Travelodge...Red Roof Inn...Days Inn...etc...off my list for that reason (plus the beds can be NASTY and uncomfortable).

I generally prefer the mid-priced chains like Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Drury, etc. They at least guarantee a respectable level of comfort and safety...plus an indoor pool that you know has been maintained properly. However, those hotels always cost around $100/night (or more in bigger cities). To me, knowing that my back isn't going to be sore for the week afterward is worth the price.

But to each his own. My level of standards is just that...mine.

I'm sure if you pick the Travelodge, Quality Inn, Ramada, etc in Flag you'll be fine (as far as safety goes), especially if you don't mind sleeping on a tired droopy bed. That's the gamble wtth those chains.

Thx...Doug

wrecking crew
    phew...glad I don't have your standards. I'd be penniless in no time...

Way to flaunt the wealth, rich boy!
    ~~~

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    phew...glad I don't have your standards. :
    Doug told Lance his team bus was a POS

pedaller
    Rent Our Cabin - I'll Make You A Smoking Deal!

Seriously Cholla, gimme a holla! Let's git'r dun!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    phew...glad I don't have your standards. I'd be penniless in no time...

Way to flaunt the wealth, rich boy!
    Oh puhleeze. I don't expect you to have my standards. I mean...c'mon...you picked Jeff, right? He's by no means anywhere near my standards.

(BTW - I am typing this note from a $175/night Doubletree hotel in downtown Pittsburgh)

Thx...Doug

parenting for gnarness
    downtown Pittsburgh)
    goto the Pennsylvania Brewery, it looks just like the label on Penn Pilsner.

My other ride is your mom
    I usually stay at the Days Inn on west 66 (1000 W Route 66, Flagstaff - (928) 744-5221)....it's also reasonably close to the playground at the base of Mars Hill (Thorpe Park), no train noise....which is weird since it's next to the tracks and my wife is a very light sleeper. The rooms have been recently renovated as well. To top it off....they have a waffle machine and decent breakfast bar in the morning.

sprocket
    ~$70 gets you a motel...not a hotel.

When I travel with my family I refuse to stay in any motel with exterior doors that face the parking lot. Travelodge...Red Roof Inn...Days Inn...etc...off my list for that reason (plus the beds can be NASTY and uncomfortable).

I generally prefer the mid-priced chains like Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Drury, etc. They at least guarantee a respectable level of comfort and safety...plus an indoor pool that you know has been maintained properly. However, those hotels always cost around $100/night (or more in bigger cities). To me, knowing that my back isn't going to be sore for the week afterward is worth the price.

But to each his own. My level of standards is just that...mine.

I'm sure if you pick the Travelodge, Quality Inn, Ramada, etc in Flag you'll be fine (as far as safety goes), especially if you don't mind sleeping on a tired droopy bed. That's the gamble wtth those chains.

Thx...Doug
    ur kinda snobby!

Chunky Monkey

Ahhhhh

Oh puhleeze. I don't expect you to have my standards. I mean...c'mon...you picked Jeff, right? He's by no means anywhere near my standards.

(BTW - I am typing this note from a $175/night Doubletree hotel in downtown Pittsburgh)

Thx...Doug

Ahhhh expense account or write off is sweet.....

Thx.
    John

Too many Sedonuts...
    Oh gawd...did he really...???

Jason - If you want to use the mothership, the KOA up there is only 38 a night, has a park, and fun stuff for the kids.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Meatbomb
    I got real drunk and passed out in my truck in the Beaver Street Brewery parking lot once.. I slept well but the accommodations sucked when i woke up...the tab was in your budget though

mtbr member

Good job! if you want a place out of the traffic,,,

check this out. http://www.arizonasnowbowl.com/lodging/index.php plus their dinners are fresh and tasty and you can eat for around 8 a person. up to 12 or so. Kid friendly. Patio seating. Beer and booze. Only drawback is an 8 mile drive downtown to thorpe park for the kids, but about 5 (?) to the smaller one in chesire. Maybe 4 from schultz creek th. I think they're around 80 a night. Across the street from snowbowl road. Weekend breakfast buffet.
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart

mtbr member
    I look at it this way...

Primitive camping gets you:

no running water in your room
    no electricity in your room
    no TV in your room
    no hot shower in your room
    no flushing toilet in your room
    no air conditioning in your room

Even a flea-bag of a motel provides these amenities.

If I want to sit around a campfire and shoot the siht with some riding buddies, I can visit
    their campsite until it's time to "call it a night", whereby I return to my flea-bag of a motel
    room. At least there, I can turn the AC up to a fan level where the white noise covers the
    drunk and loud neighbors.

And when I get up after a good nights sleep, I get easy coffee, a TV weather report for the
    riding conditions, and Denny's, followed by a comfortable purge, ice for the camelback,
    and a great ride 'cause I didn't spend the night trying to sleep on a bed of rocks during a
    night interrupted awake by noises. Therefore, the day's ride is better 'cause I'm ready.

I camp in flea-bag motel rooms.

Just booked the Motel 6 on Lucky Lane for $55/night. Look at the ratings! One star! My kind of
    camp site, for sure.

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

pedaller
    Back in the day a buddy & I went skiing in Flag and we stayed at the Arizonan Motel right on Milton for $22!!

Talk about a dive! But the water was HOT and we slept in our sleeping bags. Hard to beat for $11/ each! Not really a place for kids though...

Good times...

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I love the MONTY V hotel right down town.
    Cool, old, good location, and the STAR WARS CANTINA down stairs is a great place to drink, and the crowd is usually a trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0