Flagstaff at Christmas???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Flagstaff at Christmas???

Is it possible to camp and ride the trails above Flagstaff at Christmas time, or is it typical to be under snow? I was out this past summer and found some nice camping and riding and just needed a place to go for Christmas day (first year without the kids) and maybe the day after. I can make the run out and camp by late night, ride for a day or so and bolt back to work by Thursday.

Thanks for the help.

Wait, what!?
    You can do it, but dress WARM. Why not Sedona?

Last year everything on Elden was rideable (if snowy in spots) until right before Christmas, when they got enough to sock in the higher stuff for the winter.

AKA shitbird
    A bunch of us were up there last weekend and it was pretty damn cold. I don't know what the temp was but I couldn't drink from my camelpack because the water in the tube was frozen solid. Still fun though, just dress warm.
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    I bet you'll have your pick of campsites!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    It will be very cold at night in flag especially if youre camping at higher elevations. Temps here at night have be in the low 20s in town. Snow will be hit or miss although everything i've seen says it will be a dry, warm winter. The southwest really needs to be in a El Nino condition in order to get a good amount of winter precipitation

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It is supposed to rain heavily on friday, snow on saturday, maybe snow sunday. If that is any indication of the weather.

I made the mistake of going drinking/camping my first year up here and it snowed that night. We woke up in the morning to about 4" and it suckdddddd

Members who have read this thread: 0