mtbr member

Flag Trail Updates

Since there has been a multitude of questions about Flag lately, I figured I'd post some pics from my first couple rides of the season.

First ride: Soldier's Trail
    Rode down from my apartment in an attempt to awaken out of my winter hibernation, and, after spending several weeks locked in my room writing papers at the end of the semester, it was definitely a wake up call for my legs and lungs. Its probably not surprising at this point, but the area is dry as can be.
    Flag Trail Updates-1.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-2.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-3.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-5.jpg
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

mtbr member

2nd Ride: Fisher Point

Rode out from my apartment and took urban trail down to the trail out to Fisher Point. I had forgotten how fast and flowy this little section of trail was - a good time for sure. Climbed to the top of Fisher Point and took a rest, and then decided to explore a little. I headed down the AZT to Sandys Canyon, and climbed out to find myself near the pit. At that point light was beginning to fade and my legs were destroyed, so I headed home on Lake Mary Road.

This area was also dry, which is also probably not surprising.
    Flag Trail Updates-fp1.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-fp12.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-fp14.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-fp15.jpg

Fisher Point
    Flag Trail Updates-fp10.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-fp8.jpg

And the great view from the top
    Flag Trail Updates-fp7.jpg

I'll post more as I do more rides, should get up to Elden sometime this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flag Trail Updates-fp2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jealous!!!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Over the Hill
    Thanks for the update. I would think that that area would be clear by now I am more curious about the trails higher up like AZ Trail near Aspen Corner.

Dean

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    seriously its like all pine trees?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper
    Thanks for the update. I would think that that area would be clear by now I am more curious about the trails higher up like AZ Trail near Aspen Corner.

Dean
    Yeah, hopefully I'll be headed up to the higher elevation soon. Probably sometime this week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    seriously its like all pine trees?
    No, I'm just really good with photoshop.

In all seriousness, there are lots of pine trees, some aspens, and probably a whole bunch of other kinds I have no idea about. We even get snow and everything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    please post some picks of up on elden soon, im planning on a camping trip up there for the long weekend and am hoping the trails will be clear towards the top.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper

Dean
    I heard it was clear fom Aspen Corner to FR418 but there's a lot of deadfall to scramble over.

Over the Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I heard it was clear fom Aspen Corner to FR418 but there's a lot of deadfall to scramble over.
    Thats sounds about right, there seems to be a ton of dead aspens on that section of AZ Trail.

Dean

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoKnows
    No, I'm just really good with photoshop.

In all seriousness, there are lots of pine trees, some aspens, and probably a whole bunch of other kinds I have no idea about. We even get snow and everything.
    Shut the front door... That is INSAAAAAAANE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Elden pics please, all that stuff looks SO good!!!!

My other ride is your mom
    FYI: I posted some Elden pics up on another thread here in the AZ forum....Jedi has some significant downfall on the w and NW aspects.

Kathleen in AZ
    Any word on the Dogfood/Onceler/Secret/Supermoto trails? Snow and slop or ready for riding?

Dogfood/Onceler/supermoto is good to go. Did not check out west secret, but the eastern half was clear....I suspect the western half is also clear....the only issue being the potential for deadfall....snow is gone on south aspects at that elevation.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Any word on the Dogfood/Onceler/Secret/Supermoto trails? Snow and slop or ready for riding?
    yep still crappy as last year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    yep still crappy as last year
    Already getting dusty is what Sir Sin meant to say

Pwning Trails
    I was surprised how bad of shape sunset and upper brookbank were in still this past Wednesday. Lots of fallen trees and quite a few snow patches on sunset. I can't remember the last time I saw a crick running down sunset ... crick hah!

Oh ya ... Eric and I got freshies on a nice new section of AZ trail off of rocky moto this Sunday -- can't wait for it to be completed up to aspen corner this year.

mtbr member

As Promised

Went on a ride up Elden today, all the way up then down sunset. Here it is:

Started on rocky ridge, and granny geared my way all the way up to the top on the road, both of which were 100% clear. The view from the top:
    Flag Trail Updates-el1.jpg

Started down Sunset, and it wasn't long until I ran into a bit of snow:
    Flag Trail Updates-el2.jpg

Little patches like this were pretty much the story of the day, and were definitely not enough to disrupt the ride. Most of the ride was more like this:
    Flag Trail Updates-el3.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-el10.jpg

The only large patches I ran into were on the steep switchback section just below the catwalk:
    Flag Trail Updates-el4.jpg

Things were still a bit wet too, so I walked down.
    Flag Trail Updates-el5.jpg

The rest of the run down the upper section of sunset went great. The lower section was unobstructed by snow, but there were a couple of down trees:
    Flag Trail Updates-el9.jpg
    Flag Trail Updates-el7.jpg

Neither was a problem to get around, but both definitely require a chainsaw to get cleared. Someone had obviously come and cleaned up already (great job, and thanks, to those involved ), but I did move one small tree that was sticking out at shoulder level, and almost took me out. There was also a babbling brook running down by the side of the trail:
    Flag Trail Updates-el6.jpg

All in all, the ride was excellent, and splashing down through Shultz was tons of fun. I was planning on a longer ride, but decided to keep it to sunset due to a sinking sun. Good thing too, because the light was all but gone by the time I got back to the parking lot:
    Flag Trail Updates-el8.jpg

Gotta start getting up before 2 in the afternoon... If my ride was representative of the entire mountain, then the snow is pretty much gone, or will be gone very soon. Gonna take time to clear all the trees though. Hope this has helped, but that's all I got for now - going on vacation friday

Kathleen in AZ
    Gotta start getting up before 2 in the afternoon... If my ride was representative of the entire mountain, then the snow is pretty much gone, or will be gone very soon. Gonna take time to clear all the trees though. Hope this has helped, but that's all I got for now - going on vacation friday
    Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    CamJam and I went up Red Onion and down Little Bear. No snow but I counted 36 downed trees across the trail.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i remember riding out to fisher point from my apt too.. it kinda sucked riding it with my DJ bike (SS, K-rads, and only a rear brake). but for some reason it was kinda fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    CamJam and I went up Red Onion and down Little Bear. No snow but I counted 36 downed trees across the trail.
    36? Jesus! That doesn't sound like fun. Someone has their work cut out for em.

NedwannaB

PhotoShop'd?

Rode out from my apartment and took urban trail down to the trail out to Fisher Point. I had forgotten how fast and flowy this little section of trail was - a good time for sure. Climbed to the top of Fisher Point and took a rest, and then decided to explore a little. I headed down the AZT to Sandys Canyon, and climbed out to find myself near the pit. At that point light was beginning to fade and my legs were destroyed, so I headed home on Lake Mary Road.
    These are from last Summer right?? Have to take a trip up there from Prescott if I get out to visit the folks.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey guys. Throw a good saw in your pack and take out a least 1 tree per ride. Trails are good in no time; puts the horse and moto crews to shame. Fits in most packs.

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/...-2000-XL-Teeth

We've been using them for a few years down here in Prescott, and they can take out some crazy size flora. Have to train yourself to pull not push(insert jokes here ). It's worth 10 minutes.

The .05 percent
    or just have a little fun w/ a Stihl and do 'em all at once. hoping to get a crew up for some DH clearing action this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadbob
    i remember riding out to fisher point from my apt too.. it kinda sucked riding it with my DJ bike (SS, K-rads, and only a rear brake). but for some reason it was kinda fun.
    Yeah, for some reason that trail is more fun than it has the right to be. I took my rigid ss 29er out there a couple days after I rode it on my RIP in the picture, and had just as good a time, even though the 16t cog I had on made it a real grind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    These are from last Summer right?? Have to take a trip up there from Prescott if I get out to visit the folks.
    Well, I did already admit to my mad photoshop skills

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by heychubby
    Hey guys. Throw a good saw in your pack and take out a least 1 tree per ride. Trails are good in no time; puts the horse and moto crews to shame. Fits in most packs.

http://www.silkysaws.com/Silky_Saws/...-2000-XL-Teeth

We've been using them for a few years down here in Prescott, and they can take out some crazy size flora. Have to train yourself to pull not push(insert jokes here ). It's worth 10 minutes.

if you can get through nearly any of the deadfall on upper bb in 10 min or less with that thing i will buy you a case of pbr. some biggums up there...

Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    if you can get through nearly any of the deadfall on upper bb in 10 min or less with that thing i will buy you a case of pbr. some biggums up there...

No joke....talk about ignorant SPAM.....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    No joke....talk about ignorant SPAM.....
    Hardly. I packed a mere 7" folding limb saw in my wingnut pack and was able to remove 15 trees from Little Bear on Friday. If I had one of those 15" Silky Saws, I could have removed another dozen blow downs from the trail. It's quite possible that HeyChubby is doing great trail work in Prescott using that saw and you are the one who is ignorant.

shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son
    Hardly. I packed a mere 7" folding limb saw in my wingnut pack and was able to remove 15 trees from Little Bear on Friday. If I had one of those 15" Silky Saws, I could have removed another dozen blow downs from the trail. It's quite possible that HeyChubby is doing great trail work in Prescott using that saw and you are the one who is ignorant.
    the point is... use the right tool for the job. in this case a stihl 46 is the right tool. yes, yes, yes... we all appreciate you busting out the 7" folding saw to cut through 30" firs but some of us have extremely limited time to be doing trail work, therefore, dont have time to fumble**** our way through big trees with a leatherman. 2 guys and 2 saws could get through little bear, sunset & upper bb in a day.

i wish one of those guys could be me. i sure miss spending paid work days in the woods cutting trees... but that aint my reality.

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigal Son

Perhaps, and fair enough.....thanks for your efforts on little bear. I guess my point has to do with some of the significant old growth that I've seen down around the area....nothing is going to get through that except for a chainsaw.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending
    the point is... use the right tool for the job. in this case a stihl 46 is the right tool. yes, yes, yes... we all appreciate you busting out the 7" folding saw to cut through 30" firs but some of us have extremely limited time to be doing trail work, therefore, dont have time to fumble**** our way through big trees with a leatherman. 2 guys and 2 saws could get through little bear, sunset & upper bb in a day.

i wish one of those guys could be me. i sure miss spending paid work days in the woods cutting trees... but that aint my reality.
    If you use a pocket knife or a chain saw, who cares how it's being done as long as it's done.
    Thanks for all the hard work up there.
    Oh and might I add, if you do spend the time cutting... Could you cut about a foot or more from the trail? It shouldn't take anymore time... Granted there might be exceptions. I keep seeing these logs cut right at the edge of the single track which makes it really dangerous. I was almost closelined a few weeks ago at Mingus by a log with sharp dead branches on it. FS would have a field day if someone was serious hurt.

banned

a large chainsaw is definitely the best tool for the job

I can fit a folding limb saw into my pack but I'm not so sure I could strap a chainsaw with a 26" bar on my back and still be able to ride 20+ miles. Does anyone sell a combination riding short/kevlar chap?

Ran into a FS employee on Saturday, limbing trees along the corridor for the new section of the AZ Trail we will begin construction on this Saturday (National Trails Day) Let her know about all the huge trees laying across sections of Little Bear. They should have placed a higher prioroty on removing them prior to a busy holiday weekend. I spent two hours riding down that trail, stopping to climb over the big trees and attempting to cut the smaller diameter ones.

It seems like this time of year a routine 20-30 miles ride that would normally take 2.5 to 4 hours, is taking an additional 2 hours because of all the stops to remove fallen trees, kick loose rocks off the trail, and cut back the brush encroaching on both sides.

I suppose any excuse to stay out in the woods all day makes it worthwhile.

mtbr member
    yep

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    If you use a pocket knife or a chain saw, who cares how it's being done as long as it's done.
    Yeah, but have some appreciation for how large some of those trees are. I have a similer folding saw, but to cut down some of those trees would probably take all day with that saw, if it's even possible in the first place. I deal with lots of deadfall up here, as well as I've seen plenty in Flag. These aren't little 6" trees, these are huge monsters.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

The .05 percent
    funny, but if you check on the "Social" trails you will notice all deadfall removed. What about the system trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I rode Private, Wasabi, and Lone Eagle this weekend and they were all clear. It seems that the dh/fr crowd is more motivated then most to get out there to ride and maintain their trails. Great conditions yall! Get it while you can, things are going to dry out fast>

Members who have read this thread: 0