Flag trail questions- Mtbr.com
    Ahhh the pain....

Flag trail questions

With the trail closures in Flag, I'm trying to piece together some big loop options for an AES event. I'm trying to connect from the end of Waterline Rd (where it crosses the pipeline) to the east side of Elden. How is the pipeline over there? Is the Deer Hill trail from where it crosses the pipeline to Horse camp the best way to tie back into Little Elden?

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    With the trail closures in Flag, I'm trying to piece together some big loop options for an AES event. I'm trying to connect from the end of Waterline Rd (where it crosses the pipeline) to the east side of Elden. How is the pipeline over there? Is the Deer Hill trail from where it crosses the pipeline to Horse camp the best way to tie back into Little Elden?
    I've personally never ridden that particular section of the Transwestern pipeline, and a quick glance at the Strava heat map indicates only about three people have ever traced a route across it from Waterline Rd to Deer Hill. That particular slope of the mountain is generally rhyolitic dacite, if I'm not mistaken, so if there's a dual-track on it (as there usually is on most other local sections of this pipeline), it's gonna be covered with a bajillion fist to babyhead sized tan roundish rocks that roll.

My simple cartographic skills indicate that it's about a 2 mile distance which covers nearly 1000' of elevation between the two points. That's nearly a 10% grade, which is steep by just about anyone's reckoning.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    thx RC... yeah, I created a simple gpx file using the strava heatmap and it's like 870ft over 2.61 miles => 6.3%
    If it's like the section between Weatherford and Waterline (and traveled to the east), seems it would be OK as long as there is somewhat of a line worn in.
    Not optimal at all, just looking for someway to get around that side of the mtn.
    I read that Deer Hill trail was reopened back in 2017 after all the resulting damage due to the fire...any info on it?
    thx...

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    thx RC... yeah, I created a simple gpx file using the strava heatmap and it's like 870ft over 2.61 miles => 6.3%
    If it's like the section between Weatherford and Waterline (and traveled to the east), seems it would be OK as long as there is somewhat of a line worn in.
    Not optimal at all, just looking for someway to get around that side of the mtn.
    I read that Deer Hill trail was reopened back in 2017 after all the resulting damage due to the fire...any info on it?
    thx...
    last time i rode Deer Hill trail was years before the fire, and back then it was a super-horsey rock-infested pile-o'-poo. cant image that the fire itself and post-fire 'restoration' did it too many favors.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Ahhh the pain....
    Did a CCW Loop today that included the new Little Elden stuff, Deer Hill Trail, then climbed the pipeline going to the west. The new Little Elden stuff was super fun; can't wait till some of the other stuff gets rerouted. Deer Hill trail was actually in great shape. The pipleline wasn't aweful up to about where Secret crosses, but there are a couple of pretty gnarly dips that are sketchy on the down, and a HAB going up.
    So, not ideal, but is a viable way to get around the east side of Elden w the closures.

My other ride is your mom
    I did pipeline once to get to flying fish with helimech and chollaball....that was the last time I did pipeline...