Flag DH on Friday or Sat....It's not tooo cold...- Mtbr.com
    AKA shitbird

Flag DH on Friday or Sat....It's not tooo cold...

Someones gotta want to ride Flag after Thanksgiving. It's unseasonably warm everywhere so how bout it? All I hear about these trails (wasabi, private, etc.) is that they're the best F'n thing around and I still haven't ridden them.

A.P.B?
    Kenbentit?
    Helimech?
    Lostboyz?
    Mattyboy?
    Chongoman? didn't you just get a Stinky?
    Chollaball? didn't you get a big Santa Cruz something?
    Phuckin Phil?
    Pwrtrainer? Be a damn man for once and sac up! Put some miles on that Bighit.
    ANYBODY?!!!?!

I gotta get outta this town for a few!! I'm hurtin like a crackhead without a 5 dollars...

Don't make me beg..
    JRA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    im in for sat.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle

flag

5 of us are going up on Sat. to hit those trails up again. maybe we will see u there

AKA shitbird
    Hey Greffster, I have 3 of us so far who want to do Saturday. But none of us know these trails. I have a truck and someone to drive for us so we're good that way but I don't know where exactly these trails are. Could we meet up with you guys at least at the beginning so that we know where to go?

Pwrtrainer, you should ride your new bike and let Landon use your bighit...just a thought.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Someones gotta want to ride Flag after Thanksgiving. It's unseasonably warm everywhere so how bout it? All I hear about these trails (wasabi, private, etc.) is that they're the best F'n thing around and I still haven't ridden them.

A.P.B?
    Kenbentit?
    Helimech?
    Lostboyz?
    Mattyboy?
    Chongoman? didn't you just get a Stinky?
    Chollaball? didn't you get a big Santa Cruz something?
    Phuckin Phil?
    Pwrtrainer? Be a damn man for once and sac up! Put some miles on that Bighit.
    ANYBODY?!!!?!

I gotta get outta this town for a few!! I'm hurtin like a crackhead without a 5 dollars...

Don't make me beg..
    Hey Dude, if your hurting so bad to get out of town why didn't you join us in Fontucky. I'm busy friday (BCT) and sunday in T town. So I won't go up there to show ya the trails, besides private & soaring will eat your lunch. Stick with wasabi and the other ones so you won't get hurt . Just picking. Later.
    SHITBIRD

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Hey Dude, if your hurting so bad to get out of town why didn't you join us in Fontucky. I'm busy friday (BCT) and sunday in T town. So I won't go up there to show ya the trails, besides private & soaring will eat your lunch. Stick with wasabi and the other ones so you won't get hurt . Just picking. Later.

I wish I could have make Fontucky but I just couldn't work it in last weekend. How'd everyone do?
    JRA

mtbr member
    I wish I could have make Fontucky but I just couldn't work it in last weekend. How'd everyone do?
    I didn't get to race broken equipment the rest of the guys did pretty good .

I wont be able to make Flag I am on call. Give me a call and I can give you trail directions .
    looking to maybe doing a trip to BOOTLEG the first weekend of December. Let me know if you can do that one.
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    All that way and a mechanical? Dude that sucks!

Can't wait for Bootleg! Weekend of December 1st & 2nd look good. After that I'll be moving so a couple weekends will be jacked. Lemmee know.

Hey, you should check out NRA if you haven't been there yet. I went a couple weeks ago, gonna go back soon, maybe Friday or Sunday...fun stuff they have going on out there.
    JRA

mtbr member
    can't make it. have fotp on friday, and wife time on saturday. enjoy!

AKA shitbird
    I have wife time Saturday too...She's going to do all the shuttle driving
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    Headin up on Sat. with Tim, Stewart and others. Not sure when yet, probably early though. Got to bring the camp saw to clear dead fall this time...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Headin up on Sat. with Tim, Stewart and others. Not sure when yet, probably early though. Got to bring the camp saw to clear dead fall this time...
    Sweet! I guess I'll be seeing you then.
    JRA

Maui Grown
    eabos - I'm pretty sure I can make it on Sat. I've been there several times and can show you guys around.

I think we rode together once before. Up in Sedona about a month ago with Helimech, Lostboyz, and the rest of the crew. I was on the Nomad.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    eabos - I'm pretty sure I can make it on Sat. I've been there several times and can show you guys around.

I think we rode together once before. Up in Sedona about a month ago with Helimech, Lostboyz, and the rest of the crew. I was on the Nomad.

Yeah, I remember you, I'm ashamed to say I was on that Sedona ride I sucked so bad.

Dude, if you wanna come that's awesome! If you're in, there are 4 in our crew (so far) plus my wife who will shuttle us in my pickup. We'll have to take two vehicles up there though cause my Tacoma can't fit too many for the drive all the way up there.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Hey eabos, a little change in my schedule. Do you still have some room? Do you have a hitch on your truck? Let me know, later
    SHITBIRD

Maui Grown
    Yeah, I remember you, I'm ashamed to say I was on that Sedona ride I sucked so bad.

Dude, if you wanna come that's awesome! If you're in, there are 4 in our crew (so far) plus my wife who will shuttle us in my pickup. We'll have to take two vehicles up there though cause my Tacoma can't fit too many for the drive all the way up there.
    No problem, I have a 4-door truck and can take some guys and bikes too. There might be one or two more joining me.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Hey eabos, a little change in my schedule. Do you still have some room? Do you have a hitch on your truck? Let me know, later
    I'm not sure how the trip up there is gonna go but it sounds like there are at least a couple cars headed up there. And no, I don't have a hitch. Maybe PoiBoi does? We'll make room for ya.

Question for you guys. What is the shuttle route like? Long distance, highway driving / dirt road? I guess I'm just wondering if it's the type of deal where we can pile people into the bed of the truck or if that's gonna be a problem. We can fit 4 inside the truck for shuttle runs and few couple more in the back. I think I've had 6 bikes over the tail gate before.

So far it looks like:

Myself
    Pwrtrainer
    Landon
    PoiBoi + plus 2(?)
    Helimech
    Myra (wife) who will do the shuttle driving (but she refuses to pull a trailer)
    JRA

mtbr member
    Hey you got room for one more? Scratch that I got all day. I need some wassabi.
    Last edited by MattyBoyR6; 11-21-2007 at 03:54 PM.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

mtbr member
    Eabos we met up in Sunrise when the lifts were shut down do to rain & lightning.

The times I've been up there we would fit as many in cab with the rest sittin in the back and the bikes hangin over the tailgate if we didn't have a trailer. The shuttle road is a couple miles up a dirt, not so well maintained, road but it's not too bad. Not sure of the numbers we had in Brians mid size, truck but I think it was five in the cab with 3 more in back maybe 4

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Eabos we met up in Sunrise when the lifts were shut down do to rain & lightning.

The times I've been up there we would fit as many in cab with the rest sittin in the back and the bikes hangin over the tailgate if we didn't have a trailer. The shuttle road is a couple miles up a dirt, not so well maintained, road but it's not too bad. Not sure of the numbers we had in Brians mid size, truck but I think it was five in the cab with 3 more in back maybe 4
    What's up man. I'd love to have you join us long as there's room. If you come that would be 8 of us riding (assuming that PoiBoi brings 2 friends) + 1 driver. We can prob get 5 people in the cab but its gonna be butts to nuts (the way Pwrtrainer likes it) then 4 in the back + 8 bikes.

Anyone know how much we can cram into a Tacoma? Damn I wish I had a hitch so I could throw my old bike rack on there. Unless someone else is wiling to use their truck as a second shuttle vehicle?....
    JRA

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Per Bdog's Toyota Tacoma manual you can fit 8 people and 7 bikes in that mug with a two bike thule t2. Caution: do not take a 4 bike thule T2 on that road or it will be swinging like an ole married couple. Have fun guys, Poi Boi are you removing your rims on the truck for the shuttles or just buffing them afterwards?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Maui Grown
    As of right now, it's just me. Still waiting to hear from the others. One of the guys that may join us has a truck and is willing to shuttle as well.

AZdog - I'm always willing to drive my truck, just not willing to shuttle with it.
    You and Kavu down for some Wasabi?

mtbr member
    Yeah AZdog you down? ASU not in town to tell you no. Heck I am flying out the next day for a week and still gonna make it, wuss.

Um by the way can I bum a ride with anyone?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Let me think about it. I know Kavu's doing the FOTP on Friday so that should put him in great shape for shuttles after a few ibuprofen. If I go Poi&Matty you guys can shuttle with me. Kavu? Going to the ASU throwdown tomorrow so Saturday is looking good.

Pivotal figure
    I need to get in touch with Tim to see who has confirmed, if we have too many I can always take my poor old Nissan and give it some more abuse. Last trip up there the road wasn't quite as bad as it had been.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I need to get in touch with Tim to see who has confirmed, if we have too many I can always take my poor old Nissan and give it some more abuse. Last trip up there the road wasn't quite as bad as it had been.
    That's good cuz the road was pretty f'd up last time we were up there.

Pivotal figure
    Well, when I said "not as bad" that just means we didn't rip the oil pan off or drag the undercarriage. It's still plenty f@%$d up...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    As of right now, it's just me. Still waiting to hear from the others. One of the guys that may join us has a truck and is willing to shuttle as well.

AZdog - I'm always willing to drive my truck, just not willing to shuttle with it.
    You and Kavu down for some Wasabi?
    True, true, you know I am just jealous of the shoes on your truck.

mtbr member

Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    I know Kavu's doing the FOTP on Friday so that should put him in great shape for shuttles after a few ibuprofen
    what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey guys, I just found this thread. Poi Boi sent me a PM earlier on this trip and I'm now "officially" in after clearing it with my wife One other buddy of mine is definitely in too. I have a Honda Ridgeline w/ dual bike roof rack and a hitch rack. Happy to use my vehicle as a shuttle too. I can shuttle five guys/bikes with ease. For those that have not been up Elden, the fire road to the top is rough in some places for sure. I've only ridden Elden once - I know some of the trails but there are a bunch I don't know so I'm looking forward it.

Maui Grown
    Okay, I got two guys coming with me.

Matty, you can jump in with us.

Where are we all meeting, up at Eldon or somewhere in town to get organized first? What time are we meeting?

AKA shitbird
    I just found out that Pwrtrainer got a little sand in his vag so he's not coming. That clears up a little room. Sounds like were gonna be fine on shuttle space though, I'll strap a bike to the hood and drive Beverly Hillbilly style if need be. Does everyone have a ride up there?

Question about the trails. Landon (doesn't do this mtbr thing) some of you know him though (rides National ALOT). Anyway, he wants to go but his Spec. Stumpjumper (5 inch travel?) is his only ride right now. Do these trails require a DH bike? He just wants to know if these trails are going to kill his bike? He's done pretty well with his stumpy on the rougher valley stuff like Geronimo and even Goat Camp. He was hating life on Holbert and some of Mormon though.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    eabos, you can get by on a Stumpy if you have really good skills (FYI - I'm thinking of Jedi, Upper Oldham, Sunrise, Little Bear but I have no knowledge of some of the other 'local' trails on Elden). Anyone who can get down Holbert or 24th without going OTB on a Stumpy will do fine on Elden I suspect. Since its a shuttle trip though, I'm bringing the big bike (demo 8) and my buddy is bringing his Socom. I may regret it because there can definitely be some peddling on Elden depending on the route. The only time I've been on Elden was on my Spec Enduro SL and we peddled to the top and rode 30 miles of trails one day last Summer. What a great place to ride. Definitely some great DH runs though

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by superstition
    eabos, you can get by on a Stumpy if you have really good skills (FYI - I'm thinking of Jedi, Upper Oldham, Sunrise, Little Bear but I have no knowledge of some of the other 'local' trails on Elden). Anyone who can get down Holbert or 24th without going OTB on a Stumpy will do fine on Elden I suspect. Since its a shuttle trip though, I'm bringing the big bike (demo 8) and my buddy is bringing his Socom. I may regret it because there can definitely be some peddling on Elden depending on the route. The only time I've been on Elden was on my Spec Enduro SL and we peddled to the top and rode 30 miles of trails one day last Summer. What a great place to ride. Definitely some great DH runs though

Cool, I'll let him know, he did go OTB on 24th several times he's a trooper though. I hope there isn't too much pedaling becuase I'm bringing a DHR that isn't much fun to pedal. Either way I stoked about the ride. I hear nothing but good news about this place. BTW: I test rode a demo8 a couple weeks ago when Spec. had their truck at SoMo...cool bike fo sure, not the funnest to get up National on though, I think I'm still tired!
    JRA

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Cool, I'll let him know, he did go OTB on 24th several times he's a trooper though. I hope there isn't too much pedaling becuase I'm bringing a DHR that isn't much fun to pedal. Either way I stoked about the ride. I hear nothing but good news about this place. BTW: I test rode a demo8 a couple weeks ago when Spec. had their truck at SoMo...cool bike fo sure, not the funnest to get up National on though, I think I'm still tired!
    he can take my big hit if he wants. and eff off. i have homework, my vagina is sand free thank you very much.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrtrainer
    he can take my big hit if he wants. and eff off. i have homework, my vagina is sand free thank you very much.
    Sweet! I thought your bighit was outta commission...good to hear.
    JRA

Maui Grown
    eabos & superstition - the trails we'll be hittin are true DH trails (Wasabi, Private Reserve, etc...), big bike recommended. I'll be rockin my M3.

Matty - you still in?

Do you guys want to meet at the gas station at I-17 & Carefree highway? We can all gather up and sort-out the vehicle situation, then head on up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Poi Boy, I-17 and Carefree sounds perfect. What corner is that gas station on? What time? I've heard Wasabi is bad a$$! Looking forward to getting a first hand look.

mtbr member
    Poi I am in. I'm in E. Mesa is there somewhere we can meet up before I-17 then ride up? If not that's cool.

DH bikes for sure recomended although a good all-mountain bike will get you throuugh just fine.

This many ppl might have to bring the Digi camera & video helmet cams

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey MattyBoyR6, I'm in East Mesa near Usery Pass and McDowell. Happy to pick you up on the way if you want a lift. My buddy with the Socom is near Gilbert and University - I'm picking him up on the way too.

dirt visionary
    I wanna go also but got to wait for clearance first.

Superstition - Thanks again for going home for tools and a hanger for me when I locked my keys in the truck the other day. Mattyboy was taking pictures and was riding the red bighit that Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Guys please be mindful that when it is this warm and dry, just about everything is ****. It is uber dusty and most of the trails aren't even worth riding as is.

Pivotal figure
    Last trip was pretty dusty also, hoping we get some rain up there soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    clockwork, no problem on the tools. Glad we got you back on the road. Small World....I had no idea that was Mattyboy! Let me know if you get a pass and you can ride up with us if you want.

Weather for Sat in Flag is cold - high 42 deg with some wind. Don't know how that will affect the trails but bring the jackets.

AKA shitbird
    Alright let's make some plans here. It sounds like there is plenty of shuttle space. Is everyone good for rides up there?

This I-17 Carefree thing sounds like a plan. That way some people can leave their cars/ ride up there together and we just follow each other up there parade style. Where exactly are you guys talking about on I-17/carefree? Helimech, you coming from Prescott? If so I guess just meet at the trailhead.

Only question is times. When does everyone wanna get started riding? It doesn't look like it gonna get warm at all up there so we might as well get started early and brave the cold?

Can someone throw out a time?
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How about 8 am at the gas station on the Northwest side of I-17 and Carefree Highway. Puts us up there for the first run at around 10 am. Here is a map with the location marked: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&tab=wl

clockwork and MattyBoy, let me know if you guys need a lift from Mesa.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    That map did not work the way I thought it would. Try this one!

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...b066a4caad48b7

Maui Grown
    The gas station is on the NE side of the highway, you can't miss it. They have parking stalls on the west side of the building. 8:00 sounds good.

mtbr member
    Yeah NE side it's a Chevron next to a McDonalds.

Superstition if I can get a ride that would be dope. WIll PM with info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sweet! We have a plan. Catch you guys at the Chevron at 8am!

mtbr member
    I'll be at the "Y" of Eldon and Sheldon rds around 9:30 or at the spot on Eldon rd. I hear kens crew will be there at 9. Later.
    SHITBIRD

AKA shitbird
    Anyone got an extra full face helmet that my friend can borrow for the day? Not so much for safety's sake as a way to keep warm! If not I'll tell him to wrap a towel around his face ninja style
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    What size is his noggin? I have a collection of Full Face's in various levels of abuse, mostly Med-Lg.

dirt visionary
    Have fun guys . I have kid duty tomorrow while the SO goes shopping for the kids

Stay warm

AKA shitbird
    What size is his noggin? I have a collection of Full Face's in various levels of abuse, mostly Med-Lg.

Thanks Kenny but he just called and let me know that he was able to borrow Pwrtrainers helmet and googles. Thanks anyway! See ya in the cold cold morning. later
    JRA

Pivotal figure
    Ah, the cold makes it better. Now all that extra gear feels pretty good.

AKA shitbird
    Ah, the cold makes it better. Now all that extra gear feels pretty good.
    I agree 100%

Cold over hot anyday..
    JRA

mtbr member
    Eabos you're in the wrong freakin town man.

Good news is we don't have to chill the beer in a cooler.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Eabos you're in the wrong freakin town man.

Good news is we don't have to chill the beer in a cooler.
    Wrong town....your probably right. But I do actually like *almost* everything else about this place.
    JRA

dirt visionary
    Man o man hope you guys stay warm with their winds today .BRRR chilly

From the weather service

"STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE FLAGSTAFF AREA THROUGH MUCH OF THIS MORNING...

.NORTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO AS HIGH AS 45 MPH WILL CONTINUE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE WESTERN MOGOLLON RIM THROUGH NOON TODAY. THE HIGHEST WINDS WILL BE FOUND NEAR AND SOUTH OF THE SAN FRANCISCO PEAKS... SOUTHWARD TO MUNDS PARK. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO SLOWLY DECREASE SATURDAY AFTERNOON"

AKA shitbird
    Great ride guys! Funnest trails I have ever ridden! I already wanna go back. If it could work out (got stuff to do though) I'd go back tomorrow. Anyway great seeing those all you guys and meeting the new people too. I'm ready to go back as soon as you guys are. Later

Matt, looking forward to those pics! Thanks for taking them

Oh, Clockwork, the wind at the top was absolutely insane! Once in the trees not bad though. A little chilly.
    JRA

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle

Was way fun!

Good meeting all of you guys! Great trails! Broke my shifter froze my ass off, wind was bone chilling but had an amzing time! Post those pics when you get them I would love to see them!
    Hope to ride with you all again.

mtbr member
    OH MY GOD THAT WAS F'ING COLD . But still fun.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    WOW! Those trails on Elden are bad a$$. Gave my new Demo 8 its first BIG workout - PASSED First time I've been dressed like a snowboarder while riding a DHR! What a blast! Great meeting everyone. Can't wait until next time.

Pivotal figure
    That was so painfully cold, first time I've ever felt nauseous from the pain of numb body parts trying to thaw out. I think a little more gear would have been a good idea, or I should at least use the computer to check weather forecasts instead of watching youtube.

mtbr member
    For sure man that was cold. Follow the linky for the pictures, leave comments if you'd like.
    http://azadrenalinezone.com/witchs_titty

Maui Grown
    Matt - great pics. Even though it was FREEZING, it was some good times. Can't wait till our next Flag trip.

Hope you enjoyed my 'Aina (Maui).

AKA shitbird
    Awesome pics Matt!! Hey in that photo of me coming around the corner, the background is b&w but the rider (me) is in color. Did you take the scenery pic in b&w and then a second action shot (color) and overlay the two, or did you desaturate the background in photoshop afterwards? Just curious because that came out great!
    JRA

AKA shitbird
    Awesome pics Matt!! Hey in that photo of me coming around the corner, the background is b&w but the rider (me) is in color. Did you take the scenery pic in b&w and then a second action shot (color) and overlay the two, or did you desaturate the background in photoshop afterwards? Just curious because that came out great!

This one:

C8x6_MG_8629.jpg
    JRA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Matt, those are fantastic shots. Thanks for posting. Can't wait for the next Flag trip!

mtbr member
    Jason, Maui was quite nice. Even had our brady bunch moment and went to a lu'au. On our last day apperently there was a huge swell coming in with 25' waves but I could'nt make it over to Jaws or anywhere good that day. Not that I was going in but I would have loved to watch.

Eabos the shot is mostly desaturated in all colors except red, magenta, and yellow. I did it in Pshop cause it just felt right. Let me know if you want a print.

You guys are funny.

In the future, if you can resist being a fashion victim and wearing jeans and a cotton hoodie, you might not freeze so much!

mtbr member
    Didn't think it was gonna be that bloody effin cold man.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    You guys are funny.

In the future, if you can resist being a fashion victim and wearing jeans and a cotton hoodie, you might not freeze so much!
    I stayed warm by wearing two long sleeve shirts and fleece sweat pants. I was warm and fashionable! Except up on the ridge with those insane winds made it stupid cold up there.
    JRA

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle

Nice`

Hey how did you not get all blurry shots! I would have been shaking to bad to be steady lol. Great pics! Good times....

Members who have read this thread: 0