mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Flag Camping Recommendations?

I'm looking for a good camp spot that is close to trails and away from people in the Flag area. I'm car camping with the family and can get up minorly rough roads. I know that may be an impossibility, but I thought I'd try. Someone recommended Lockett Meadow. Is that good info? Other recommendations?

mtbr member
    shultz creek rd. west side just past the cattle guard. primative free camping. no fires. ride from camp. end on downhill. or drive all the way up to Shultz tank. more camping, but generally end ride with climb.

www.singletrack.us for map.
    b

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

thx

Thanks Brian. Does it get crowded up there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My family and I camped at Dairy Springs campground at Lake Mormon a couple weeks ago. Grills, running water, and bathrooms. Pay campsite, but cheap. There's a trailhead about 500 feet from the campsite with maps. Nice easy riding in the great weather.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by avwrites
    Thanks Brian. Does it get crowded up there?
    no. holidays, maybe.
    b

mtbr member
    I'm looking for the same type of accommodations, except it doesn't need to be that near any trails. I would like to get my family into more biking and hiking, but accommodations in Flag aren't cheap. So I thinking about getting back into the camping scene, however, descent restrooms are probably a must for the lady's in my family. If I could find such a place, I could probably use that as an over night option for the MBAA race series...versus driving up to Flag the morning of the race and driving back that night. I'm not familiar with the Dairy Springs campground, but that might be an option if it wasn't too far out of town.

Any insights would be great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Family + decent restrooms = KOA campground on Hwy 89 N or Woody Mountain CG (www.woodymountaincampground.com) at I-40 and Woody Mountain Rd.

Alternatively, campgrounds with lesser degrees of amenities include the CG at Lockett Meadow or the CG outside of Sunset Crater/Wutpaki.

mtbr member
    I did see Woody's. Nice part about that is you could probably drive into town for dinner and a movie. :-) If they have flush toilets, my daughter would be very excited! Have you ever stayed there? $25 / night is still a lot cheaper than a hotel.

I actually looked on line at the campgrounds heading down toward Mormon lake. All have toilets. One even has flush toilets and showers. I guess the question is how quickly they fill up on the weekends.

mtbr member
    May 2007

when are you coming to town?

Quote Originally Posted by avwrites
    I'm looking for a good camp spot that is close to trails and away from people in the Flag area. I'm car camping with the family and can get up minorly rough roads. I know that may be an impossibility, but I thought I'd try. Someone recommended Lockett Meadow. Is that good info? Other recommendations?

When do you plan to come into Flagstaff to ride? During the week is best, almost no out -of towners in the woods, weekends can get busy with folks from down South. Plenty of spots up on Schultz Pass and an easy road to drive, but no real bathroom facilities close by,,,,,,,,,there is a toilet in the Schultz Tank parking lot:thumbsup

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    cant u also camp near the lava tube area. I saw tons of sweet spots out there with great views and barely any people?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Over the Hill
    I do not like camping without a campfire and detest the sound of RV generators, so no Woody's. So I go past the fire restricted area on Schultz Pass Road or the designated camping spots on Freidlein Prairie Road.

Dean

banned
    Sep 2005
    I just got back from a trip to Flag and the Shultz Cr road is perfect! I went about 7 miles in (campfires ok) and found a cozy little spot just off of the main road on an old logging road.

Just another half mile...
    An option is to get a portable toilet and a small privy shelter if you want to get away from the developed camps, but still have decent poo facilities.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...87&id=cat20097

Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    I'm looking for the same type of accommodations, except it doesn't need to be that near any trails. I would like to get my family into more biking and hiking, but accommodations in Flag aren't cheap. So I thinking about getting back into the camping scene, however, descent restrooms are probably a must for the lady's in my family. If I could find such a place, I could probably use that as an over night option for the MBAA race series...versus driving up to Flag the morning of the race and driving back that night. I'm not familiar with the Dairy Springs campground, but that might be an option if it wasn't too far out of town.

Any insights would be great!

My other ride is your mom
    frankly, an 8 inch trowel and a good three point stance is my idea of a decent poo facility

mtbr member
    Yep, I think in the long run, a simple "camp toilet" / "Homemade outhouse" will work nicely. But I probably need to work up to that.

Unfortunately, we will probably be Friday - Sunday type campers, so there will be that issue of the weekend crowds for some of these sites (especially the ones with restrooms). Initially thinking about coming up for the Absolute Bike Race on Aug 22nd.

mtbr member
    May 2007

no trails

Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    cant u also camp near the lava tube area. I saw tons of sweet spots out there with great views and barely any people?

Greffster, not much in the way of trails in the Kaibab NF near the Lava Tubes unfortunately, but it's never crowded and the views and FS roads are fun to ride

mtbr member
    May 2007

crowded issue

Quote Originally Posted by Bike_Muchacho
    Yep, I think in the long run, a simple "camp toilet" / "Homemade outhouse" will work nicely. But I probably need to work up to that.

Unfortunately, we will probably be Friday - Sunday type campers, so there will be that issue of the weekend crowds for some of these sites (especially the ones with restrooms). Initially thinking about coming up for the Absolute Bike Race on Aug 22nd.
    BM, That "issue of weekend crowds" would be your neighbors from the Valley escaping the heat this time of year. They will be your competition for the best sites, come up midweek and you'll have no problems with PHX crowds here in Flagstaff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    frankly, an 8 inch trowel and a good three point stance is my idea of a decent poo facility
    Some of those spots off of Schultz get camped at nearly every night during the summer. For example, there were 3 separate parties in the vicinity of Durtgurl's favorite spot this morning.

Wag bags are pretty convenient and cheap and then you can just throw the bag in the trash. Landfill approved.

Members who have read this thread: 0