Thread: Flag...

banned

Flag...

Is wassabi clear? is the road open?

bland
    I'm going to check right now. The road was still closed yesterday afternoon and there was a lot of snow on it last week but I heard today that someone rode lower. I'll be back.

banned
    thnx

mtbr member
    Elden Lookout Rd is still closed but Shultz is open so you can shuttle that and get ready for the race next weekend.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Elden Lookout Rd is still closed but Shultz is open so you can shuttle that and get ready for the race next weekend.

don't you need like 9 inches to be able to shuttle shultz?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Yeah, otherwise it wouldn't be downhill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Is wassabi clear? is the road open?
    Wasabi is rideable but Elden lookout rode is still closed

The .05 percent
    just got the text as I am reading this, the road IS open. just need to remove a few trees and we are in business.

bland
    Just got back and... the road was open when I drove up to 420 and still open when I drove home. I rode lower wasabi and there was one blow down that needs a chain saw and there were about four snow drifts left that should be gone soon. If you do ride it in the very near future be heads up for a small tree right about eye level just before the chute, It almost got me. There is also a new bonus level between where wasabi ends and oldham so you don't have to ride the road. It is pretty fun and has a jump, but won't last if the berms aren't rock armored and the jump is basically a pile of sand. Fun little part and thanks to the guys that put it in this week but it needs some fine tuning if it is going to last.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    just got the text as I am reading this, the road IS open. just need to remove a few trees and we are in business.
    news travels FAST

The .05 percent
    too bad I am at work and not out there. need to do some recon on the reserves. think there will be lots of snow and some trees to move. Make sure to get your fire wood permit. Cant ticket you if cutting in a legal cutting area w/ permit.

shred my gnar
    thats what she said

banned
    thnx

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    9 to 10, She is a very dirty girl!

banned
    some shuttles are going down today

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm headed up soon! Wasabi.....mmmmm.

banned
    Nice riding with you guys....Good Times!

bland
    Thanks for the shuttles! I'd like to take a look at some of those pics. Great day on the mountain guys!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Guys, so when is the super D race?nextweek or tommorow?thanks

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by aguantista
    Guys, so when is the super D race?nextweek or tommorow?thanks
    Its tomorrow. Staging/registration 7-9 @ the Schultz lookout road Y. $20 gets you in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks m77ranger, we will be there early tommorow...were planning to freeride it tommorow but I dont if they would allow riders to freeride the course?or did they already put markers on they trail?its going to be our first time on that trail.. and first time doing super d!were pretty much excited..by the way are you guys doing this race also tommorow?

mtbr member
    Is there anyone planning on riding or shuttling some of these trails (Wasabi, Private Reserve. Brookbank, Pickle, Ginger, etc) Thursday afternoon this week?

I'll be down this weekend.... and have rides planned in Flagg on Friday and Sedona on Saturday but would be arriving thursday and could be ready to ride by 2:00 or 3:00.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Is there anyone planning on riding or shuttling some of these trails (Wasabi, Private Reserve. Brookbank, Pickle, Ginger, etc) Thursday afternoon this week?

I'll be down this weekend.... and have rides planned in Flagg on Friday and Sedona on Saturday but would be arriving thursday and could be ready to ride by 2:00 or 3:00.
    tell ya what, you go up and clear private and the other trails in the oldham valley and its on. till then most of the good ones still covered in deadfall

Over the Hill
    tell ya what, you go up and clear private and the other trails in the oldham valley and its on. till then most of the good ones still covered in deadfall
    Ouch! That's the AZ hospitality us out of staters are looking for.

If I lived closer I would either pull a firewood permit or take my bow saw out there...not telling those on roadtrips to do it themselves.

Dean

mtbr member
    Yeah that's not cool.
    Dougie Fresh!

The .05 percent
    not meaning to be harsh, just not going to be clear for another week or so. The goods take time, esp considering we are still underground up here. Patience is a virtue.

Kathleen in AZ
    So if you had a big group of people wanting to ride Preserve etc on their big bikes who just happened to be up on Elden for, say, a long weekend... would we be able to do the majority of the clearing on one run? Ride, clear, ride, clear....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    So if you had a big group of people wanting to ride Preserve etc on their big bikes who just happened to be up on Elden for, say, a long weekend... would we be able to do the majority of the clearing on one run? Ride, clear, ride, clear....

just a guess, but prolly need a chains saw, thus the need for a "firewood permit". generally USFS frowns on civilians in the woods with chain saws.

not that it couldnt be done.......
    b

mtbr member
    not meaning to be harsh, just not going to be clear for another week or so. The goods take time, esp considering we are still underground up here. Patience is a virtue.
    No worries. I didn't take that as harsh. Just stating facts.... and knowledge is what we out-of-towners need. If it's still too muddy, snowy, or if there's too much deadfall to make for a good ride that's what I need to know. Thanks.

I am interested in the answer to Durtgirl's question though. Would a big group be able to clear the trails in one run. (You Phoenix peeps planning a trip this weekend, Kathleen?)

mtbr member
    (You Phoenix peeps planning a trip this weekend, Kathleen?)

No KK, but yes there is a group planing to be at the spot on Epic Rider's map. last I heard pedaling on Sat. Shuttle on Sun. I have not decided if I'll be camping/day tripping. If I'm camping...then I'm pedaling both days.
    b

Kathleen in AZ
    No worries. I didn't take that as harsh. Just stating facts.... and knowledge is what we out-of-towners need. If it's still too muddy, snowy, or if there's too much deadfall to make for a good ride that's what I need to know. Thanks.

I am interested in the answer to Durtgirl's question though. Would a big group be able to clear the trails in one run. (You Phoenix peeps planning a trip this weekend, Kathleen?)
    Rob - join us! We'll be camping left after the first cattleguard going up Schutlz pass rd. Anyone else is welcome too. Some are heading up Fri - I'll likely be there Saturday morning, staying thru Monday. Sounds like trails are ready for the out-of-town invaders! Temps will be down in the 30s at night so bring your down jacket. Brrrr.

mtbr member
    Rob - join us! We'll be camping left after the first cattleguard going up Schutlz pass rd. Anyone else is welcome too. Some are heading up Fri - I'll likely be there Saturday morning, staying thru Monday. Sounds like trails are ready for the out-of-town invaders! Temps will be down in the 30s at night so bring your down jacket. Brrrr.
    Sounds like fun. I've got a Triple H thang going on Saturday with Zul but am planning on riding Flagstaff Friday with AndyN and a couple of New Mexicans he's bringing along with him. Is that your group?

Trying to line up my Thursday afternoon dance card. Was going to do some rock crawling with Enel in Prescott but he's had a family emergency come up so am looking at options.

I may just take my "Map by Dale" and roam around Mt. Elden when I roll into town until it's dark or I get lost...... but it's always better with someone with local knowledge leading the way.

The .05 percent
    Havent been able to get over there, road was closed today for grading, most deadfall up here usually requires a chain saw, with a pretty large blade. If you do go up please do not re-route to get around deadfall, people like to do this instead of taking the time to make proper repairs. For what it is worth, Wasabi is clear. Prob the best bet for the weekend

Kathleen in AZ
    Havent been able to get over there, road was closed today for grading, most deadfall up here usually requires a chain saw, with a pretty large blade. If you do go up please do not re-route to get around deadfall, people like to do this instead of taking the time to make proper repairs. For what it is worth, Wasabi is clear. Prob the best bet for the weekend
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

bland
    I hiked down from the top of the reserves to a little past the lone eagle split and it was snow free with one large dead fall just before the first meadow. The whole trail should be snow free and there seems to be a lot less deadfall this year. There was a crew from sedona riding it today so if you guys are on here chime in.

The .05 percent
    cool. will prob try to make short work of deadfall sometime sun late pm. Let me know if you are in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Blade? What kind of red neck are you? It's a bar!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    we were shuttling most of the day on tuesday.major amount of deadfall. need chainsaw. rideing was ok. imo trails need love and rain. glad i got up there early this year. have a great season flagstaff.
    j

Members who have read this thread: 0