First trip in the MSP area.- Mtbr.com
    Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm First trip in the MSP area.

First of thanks for the tips Walt!

Ride was a blast even though my legs were junk and I had no clue as to where I was at! At the time I thought I was on Taliesin yet the rider and the few hikers I came across (all very nice) said Taliesin was further south. I kept on spinning up the trail taking way to many breaks even for this fat dude. Which ever trial I was on was very enjoyable as it was 20 inch wide single track with lots of direction changes which is my style of riding. Not knowing what the return would be like and legs not working with me I finally just turned around and headed back. The run back was a blast and I'm pissed I did not push it further than I did. At least I know what to expect now and will work on it next time. Upon returning home I uploaded the GPS data and it seems I was on Taliesin and had almost made the junction I was shooting for so I could make a run over to Quartz and back down. Little bummed after reviewing the data but how upset can one be when it was a great day and I rode new trail.

El Rey worked perfect!

Was I on Taliesin?
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

im4Gsus
    yes, you were on taliesen. had you gone north behind the swimming pool, you could've gotten on quartz. i park there then on quartz i go west around the golf course and unto the section of taliesen you rode.

you're right, you were not far from where it meets quartz, though that section is kind'a steep and a bit technical.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Shovel Ready
    I wanted to finish coming down Quartz! As stated it was my first trip in the area and I was getting feedback that stated I was not on Taliesin. One person said I was on lost dog but looking at the trail guide I obviously was not near that trail. I'll nail the overlook and Quartz in the near future! I had a good time & learned a thing or two so it was a good day!

I am Walt
    Glad you made it out there, Tim. Yes, you were on Taliesin...if you had gone JUST a little bit further, you would have been able to go left and down Quartz, back to the swimming pool. You will enjoy that, and it will make the work worth it.

Once you complete that loop, then you need to do the extra credit of going up to the Overlook...that's a tough climb, but with a good payoff!.

Good job!!!
    Ride more; post less...

Meatbomb
    down quartz rocks .... let me know next time you head over this way and I'll show you the route.

frequent breaks will not bother me

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Glad you made it out there, Tim. Yes, you were on Taliesin...if you had gone JUST a little bit further, you would have been able to go left and down Quartz, back to the swimming pool. You will enjoy that, and it will make the work worth it.

Once you complete that loop, then you need to do the extra credit of going up to the Overlook...that's a tough climb, but with a good payoff!.

Good job!!!
    Great I thought I noticed the climb to the overlook from where where I turned around. Just was not sure and the legs were laughing at me. I also like that it's maybe a 13 minute drive from my place. If the run down Quartz is better than Taliesin! That is just more icing on the cake. I had a blast coming back down Taliesin, I like dodging rocks!

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    down quartz rocks .... let me know next time you head over this way and I'll show you the route.

frequent breaks will not bother me
    GPS showed more then frequent today, 10. I'm not that strong of a climber at my weight. Yet I looked at other GPS runs and I was not as bad with more climbing.

Hell here is the embarrassing GPS track.

Meatbomb
    It's all good. I can't clean Taliesin without a couple breaks.

People actually ride up Quartz.. that's just crazy stuff there .

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    Great I thought I noticed the climb to the overlook from where where I turned around. Just was not sure and the legs were laughing at me. I also like that it's maybe a 13 minute drive from my place. If the run down Quartz is better than Taliesin! That is just more icing on the cake. I had a blast coming back down Taliesin, I like dodging rocks!
    Quartz has some steeper, looser spots, and a couple very cobbly wash bottoms. Taliesin is a more consistent, moderate grade, with lots of flowing, swoopy S-turns. Both are very fun in different ways. And I prefer down Quartz and up Taliesin as up Quartz is a grind...but we often do it, and it's very cleanable on SS.
    Ride more; post less...

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Quartz has some steeper, looser spots, and a couple very cobbly wash bottoms. Taliesin is a more consistent, moderate grade, with lots of flowing, swoopy S-turns. Both are very fun in different ways. And I prefer down Quartz and up Taliesin as up Quartz is a grind...but we often do it, and it's very cleanable on SS.
    Sounds good and I'm not in the league you're in so Taliesin up will be my route for a while.

livin' the dream......
    Just got back from a great ride in the MSP.

Rode out of Basha's lot at Bell/Thompson Peak and took Gateway to Paradise to Quartz, up Quartz and then up Lost Dog to Taliesn overlook. That climb up to the overlook was a kick, I only dabbed once and was stoked when I got up there. Pretty steep, some loose stuff and way rocky. Hung out a bit and watched the MetLife blimp floating over the FBR.

I was able to nail most of the quick up and outs of the many wash crossings on Paradise. That trail is a blast. Been off the bike for exaclty one month due to a bad chest cold. THis was an awesome welcome back ride fo' sho'!

Members who have read this thread: 0