First trip to Flagstaff- Mtbr.com
    Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm First trip to Flagstaff

I have a new respect for many of the riders which post on this forum and those that don't. My friend 'size, couple of his friends and I did a day trip to Flagstaff Saturday. Since I'm not in the best of shape we planned to shuttle this trip. The drive up was pretty quick and have decided next summer I need to make this trip more often. The road up to the tower was pretty rutted and torn up as many of you know. If I were to ride up this road as many of you do. I would be smoked before even hitting the trail! So down Sunset we go. Right off the difference in the oxygen level and the trial are in a whole different league then I'm use too. My distance may be off but I'm sure many of you will know the areas mentioned here. First 3/4 of a mile was very exciting and then we came up to what I'll consider the toughest trail I've seen to date. Big rock drops with turns and just stuff I'm not ready for yet. I guess 'size rode this stuff but I was bringing up the back of the pack and was walking most of it. Then a run over to a junction to Heart Trail or continue on Sunset. We selected to get the climb out of the way and continued up sunset. This is where it got very tough on me. This climb might be half a mile and 400 feet. But at this altitude I was dead in 100 feet. From this point to the top I walked 30 yards at a time until I got to the top. Lungs and calves were on fire the entire time. Jeff one in our group was cool enough to hang with me and push me to the top. This is where the ride really starts for me as these first two sections were sections I could not ride at this time. So down Sunset and Schultz creek trails. El Rey worked fantastic and it's the first time I've gotten brakes that hot, Hope mono M4 rock!!!!! At this point there were only few sections I walked. Probably would have been less but I got slowed up a couple times. The ride down these trails were amazing! Cutting in and out of the gaps between the rocks was a whole new experience for me. The Halo ChoirMaster tires got abused but came through fine. I packed a camera but never even thought about pulling it out as I was either dying or having a blast. Did GPS the ride and again props to all of you that ride stuff like this or have the lungs to just keep going!!!!

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6756594
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

Kathleen in AZ
    Yea Tim!!! Good to hear you sampled some of our fine Flag singletrack.

pedaller
    Good job Tim! The elevation definitely adds another level to riding up there.

Looks like your GPS went a little wacky on the last 4 miles down Shultz and props to you hitting a max speed of 51.8 MPH!

The descent down Shultz is like an amusement park ride - only better!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

I noticed that also. Tried to see where it picked that up using map player but did not see it. I had to reload all the motionbaed software as I had a computer failure just before going on this trip. Motiotnbased was acting funny last night, but I'm just going to say I'm fast!

Schultz was very enjoyable as was Sunset. Sunset was just a little much for me at this point. I'll ride/walk it again, but riding the entire Sunset section would end ugly for me right now. I'm not gong to argue with the doctor which says I have Asthma. I had been feeling better lately felt I was making gains down here in Phoenix. Flagstaff made me think the doc was correct as I've been having a deep lung cough all morning.

There was also two dogs not leashed on the trail. Neither bothered me except when they were laughing at me!! Overall I could not have asked for a better group to ride with. Next big ride will have to be taking on National!

Kathleen, hope you feel better soon.

mtbr member
    You by all accounts did just fine with thin air and big rocks. I was out this Sunday doing they typical weekend ride and as I was finishing up, going down "Dogfood", I pass this girl going up. She does this little head dip looky behind and that clued me in that someone in her par-ty was coming up as well. About a quarter mile down was a dude who was off his bike, head dipped low, lungs-a-hunkin', trying to keep up with the gnar-gnar girl now waiting for his arse to make it up to the trail interchange. You could almost feel the quarter mile tension between them and it was only about 30 minutes into their ride. Now as long as your riding friends did not have those long silent moments in the car going back home, I'd say it was a successful day.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Glad you got to enjoy the great trails up there. Tons of good stuff.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Shovel Ready

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Glad you got to enjoy the great trails up there. Tons of good stuff.
    I just got a taste of it and will be back!! Just need to get the lungs working better and drop a few pounds. Might be good for me to try some Sedona trials. Air will be a little thinner but not as tough as Flagstaff. Like I stated I have a lot of respect for all of you that just go out and hammer that stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw
    Now as long as your riding friends did not have those long silent moments in the car going back home, I'd say it was a successful day.
    The people I went with were as good as they come! They all could have complained waiting on me. But each took a turn hanging with and pushing me along.

Members who have read this thread: 0