First Sultan Ride Report- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

First Sultan Ride Report

So I took my blinged out brand new sultan this morning to get it dirty on Desert Classic. First thing I noticed were how badass the hope hubs are. They sound like a ferrari when coasting and hikers can hear you coming so that's a plus. I also like the recommendation from Todd at Uinta Bikes (who is the sh!t...seriously best bike purchase I have ever done and it was over the internet. Scary I know) to use a shorter stem (90). The differences between my hifi pro 26 and my sultan are just about endless. Going from a manitou minute to a fox f29 was huge. The fox is truly a great shock and the 120 mm of plushness is well worth the extra cash. The wheels were the biggest difference for me. I went from mavic x717 laced to xt hubs with a clunky pg950 cassette to hope pro II hubs laced to stans flows with a pg990 cassette (bling!!). I took the advice that I had received on the board, spend the majority of your build money on good wheels and a good fork, and I couldn't be happier. The one thing I didn't like was how badly the bb7's performed in comparison to my old juicy 7's. Stopping power was uninspiring at best. Hopefully will upgrade to formula k24's when I can. Now for the ride report. I rode Somo this morning and the speed I built up at some points was unusually high. Ride felt so much more "flowy" today. Caught air many times coming out of the washes which is unusual for me. Rolled over rocks without feeling a thing. The grip was better than I have ever felt. Tires are tubeless at 26-28 PSI and there was some serious tackiness. Overall I would have to say that this is the best bike I have ever ridden. Of course, right? I bought it.. Biggest difference during the ride was how well the ride flowed. I never felt like stopping or taking a break like I usually do and went much further past the water tower than I ever have. I'll post some pics when my camera is recharged. Bike weighed 28.7 with pedals and everything, but I think I could shed almost 3/4 of a pound at the pedals (shimano pd-m670) and definitely some more when I get a non crappy brake system (bb7's currently)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RMBnFISHERftw
    So I took my blinged out brand new sultan this morning to get it dirty on Desert Classic. First thing I noticed were how badass the hope hubs are. They sound like a ferrari when coasting and hikers can hear you coming so that's a plus. I also like the recommendation from Todd at Uinta Bikes (who is the sh!t...seriously best bike purchase I have ever done and it was over the internet. Scary I know) to use a shorter stem (90). The differences between my hifi pro 26 and my sultan are just about endless. Going from a manitou minute to a fox f29 was huge. The fox is truly a great shock and the 120 mm of plushness is well worth the extra cash. The wheels were the biggest difference for me. I went from mavic x717 laced to xt hubs with a clunky pg950 cassette to hope pro II hubs laced to stans flows with a pg990 cassette (bling!!). I took the advice that I had received on the board, spend the majority of your build money on good wheels and a good fork, and I couldn't be happier. The one thing I didn't like was how badly the bb7's performed in comparison to my old juicy 7's. Stopping power was uninspiring at best. Hopefully will upgrade to formula k24's when I can. Now for the ride report. I rode Somo this morning and the speed I built up at some points was unusually high. Ride felt so much more "flowy" today. Caught air many times coming out of the washes which is unusual for me. Rolled over rocks without feeling a thing. The grip was better than I have ever felt. Tires are tubeless at 26-28 PSI and there was some serious tackiness. Overall I would have to say that this is the best bike I have ever ridden. Of course, right? I bought it.. Biggest difference during the ride was how well the ride flowed. I never felt like stopping or taking a break like I usually do and went much further past the water tower than I ever have. I'll post some pics when my camera is recharged. Bike weighed 28.7 with pedals and everything, but I think I could shed almost 3/4 of a pound at the pedals (shimano pd-m670) and definitely some more when I get a non crappy brake system (bb7's currently)
    Hey RMBnFisherftw,

Glad your lovin your Sultan. I have read many posts about the BB7's, apparently they need a little time to work in. I put them on my Canzo, and didn't like them at first, after a 1/2 dozen rides or so they feeling a lot better!

Shot me a email if you decide to sell yours, I need a set for SS project

BTW, how much did you spend on your hopes/flows? Local build? Thanks and have fun on the new ride.

mtbr member
    I actually had Todd at Uinta Bikes hook everything up. Awesome dude, custom ordered everything and gave me 15% off the entire build for some pretty good prices. Wheels were 650 for the set, but that's before the discount. Also, I didn't have to pay sales tax which was nice. Came out very nicely spec'd for under 4 with shipping included.