First Pima/Dynamite ride. Wow, not much fun- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

First Pima/Dynamite ride. Wow, not much fun

Long, tough afternoon. Since I was off today, I knew I would ride. This morning, I figured I'd try something different than my usual rides (Lost Dog, MMP), so I sort of decided I'd go to Pima/Dynamite. Did a quick search here and then I was off.

Since I didn't know any of the "good" trails, I went north on 136th from Dynamite and parked at access gate "B." I then grabbed a map from the kiosk. I formulated a half-assed plan to ride counter-clockwise around Granite Mountain, figuring the trails would be challenging.

If my definition of "different" and "challenging" was actually unrideable, my day would've been great.

I started north on Trail 36, planning to pick up the unimproved Trail 4. Never found it. Trail 36 is nothing but kitty litter. Ended up on some sort of goat trail climbing up northwest toward Granite Mtn. No tracks, no signs, just some horse droppings. Completely unrideable except for short stretches

Eventually meandered about through ankle-deep sand and found Trail 5. This was a little better. From there hooked up on Trail 24, then Trail 33 back down to where I'd parked. Haven't hike-a-biked this much in years. Most of the trails, when they're not bogged in sand, are covered in this weird gravelly scree. Many of the climbs would have been easily doable with some traction.

My bike: On*One Inbred 29er, 1x9, Reba, Maxxis Ignitors. Me: Reasonably fit, reasonable skill level.

An interesting but frustrating day. Some of those trails would have been very cool -- nice berms, little jumps and stuff -- if not for all the sand making them unusable.

Is there a route out there that's more rideable and fun? It's beautiful, but there's so many trails you could spend months of frustration. Hoping to learn from others' experience.
    d

mtbr member
    This is Walt's favorite area. Where’s the good trails out there Walt?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Long, tough afternoon. Since I was off today, I knew I would ride. This morning, I figured I'd try something different than my usual rides (Lost Dog, MMP), so I sort of decided I'd go to Pima/Dynamite. Did a quick search here and then I was off.

Since I didn't know any of the "good" trails, I went north on 136th from Dynamite and parked at access gate "B." I then grabbed a map from the kiosk. I formulated a half-assed plan to ride counter-clockwise around Granite Mountain, figuring the trails would be challenging.

If my definition of "different" and "challenging" was actually unrideable, my day would've been great.

I started north on Trail 36, planning to pick up the unimproved Trail 4. Never found it. Trail 36 is nothing but kitty litter. Ended up on some sort of goat trail climbing up northwest toward Granite Mtn. No tracks, no signs, just some horse droppings. Completely unrideable except for short stretches

Eventually meandered about through ankle-deep sand and found Trail 5. This was a little better. From there hooked up on Trail 24, then Trail 33 back down to where I'd parked. Haven't hike-a-biked this much in years. Most of the trails, when they're not bogged in sand, are covered in this weird gravelly scree. Many of the climbs would have been easily doable with some traction.

My bike: On*One Inbred 29er, 1x9, Reba, Maxxis Ignitors. Me: Reasonably fit, reasonable skill level.

An interesting but frustrating day. Some of those trails would have been very cool -- nice berms, little jumps and stuff -- if not for all the sand making them unusable.

Is there a route out there that's more rideable and fun? It's beautiful, but there's so many trails you could spend months of frustration. Hoping to learn from others' experience.
    d
    Don't bother. I have been told time and time again that there are many great trails out there and that all you need to find them is a guide familiar with the area. However, everytime I do go there it sucks. I do not plan to ride it ever again.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Don't bother. I have been told time and time again that there are many great trails out there and that all you need to find them is a guide familiar with the area. However, everytime I do go there it sucks. I do not plan to ride it ever again.
    I guess it's Dirdir's favorite area too

I would call it one of those once a year ride areas. There's so much better riding in AZ than P&D. If I'm going to drive 40 minutes I'm riding Goat Camp, Hawes or the Far end of SoMo.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    This is Walt's favorite area. Where’s the good trails out there Walt?
    P&D sucks. I ride out there every once in a while to remind myself why I don't ride out there. I've heard there are some good trails out there, but...I don't care.
    Ride more; post less...

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sounds like I'm preaching to the choir. Anyone have the lowdown on a decent loop out there?

Just another half mile...
    OK, here are a few that I used to ride all time. You need to look at my GPS map to follow along
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=54&pos=2

Loop 1: Start at P&D intersection: Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then take Slant Mountain trail north to Browns Jam (21), then Metate (24) to the trail 28 south to Cholla trail (30), then west to Roller Coaster and back on Bail out (15).

Loop 2; Similar to Loop 1 but heads north after Metate:
    Start at P&D intersection: Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then take Slant Mountain trail north to Browns Jam (21), then Metate (24), then left on trail 46, then right on Burnout (5), left on trail 44 - Girls Route. Stay on Girls Route, Trail 25, until you hit trail 54, then cut across on the jeep roads to the north end of west Express (23) and take it all the way back to P&D. Rolling DH back to the car.

For more technical and epic rides, here are a couple starting from 136th and Trail 2:
    Loop 3: Head west and pick up Cholla Trail (33 & 30) past Mushroom rock. North on Trail 28, right on tr 24. Make your way over to Girls Route, take that north to Northern Exposure and ride it almost al the way to the east end, but then take the trail that head south that is just west of forest road 2091. Take this trail until it hits road 2092 and then find your way over to East Express and back to 136th and Trail 2. This is a long route and be prepared to be out on the trail for over five hours. Take lots of water. We’ve always had someone run out! Also, this route take some navigational skill, not all the trails are marked, and it’s easy to get turned around out there!

Loop 4: Similar to Loop 3 until you get to Northern Exposure. Head west from 136th and Trail 2 and pick up Cholla Trail (33 & 30) past Mushroom rock. North on Trail 28, right on tr 24. Make your way over to Girls Route, take that north to Harris Hawk, NW on Harris Hawk then cross over road 2091, and ride Rock & Roll clockwise and pop out at the road 2091 & 2091 intersection. If you have any energy left, you can make your way south along The Burn (very technical with hike-a-bikes). This is another long ride, five plus hours!

Here’s a short fun ride for those not into all day epics. Start from P&D. Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then cut across between Cone and Slant Mtn. Then take Roller Coaster around to Trail 15. Take Trail 15 north to Dara Sara (16) then southwest to trail 13 and back to P&D. A fun two hour ride.

There are numerous loop combinations that are fun, it just takes a little time to explore which trails are fun for you to ride. I enjoy the area, especially the northern parts.Tis the season for big rides out there

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Epic: Thank you very much for taking the time. I want to give the area a fair shake, but my experience today wasn't all that pleasant.

A couple of your epic loops sound like what I rode today, though I was going counter-clockwise. The "trail" section I ended up on between #36 and #5 was super-sketchy and almost completely unrideable.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    There are numerous loop combinations that are fun, it just takes a little time to explore which trails are fun for you to ride. I enjoy the area, especially the northern parts.Tis the season for big rides out there
    If getting to the alleged fun parts requires riding through the proven as fact not fun parts, then I agree with Walt and have little interest in riding out there. The only way to get me out there again is if I get to ride behind hot chics in spandex.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Fragile - must be Italian
    Agree with Geoff on this one...don't bother. I've been to P&D scads of times and every time I end the ride thinking to myself "jeez...that sucked". No matter where I go or which trails I ride, it seems like everything out there is (a) kitty litter; (b) sand; (c) washed out rutted kitty litter; (d) sand; (e) loose slippery kitty litter; (f) sand) or (g) whoop-de-doos full of kitty litter. And I've tried everything within a 3 hr ride from Dynamite. 'Tis such a shame too...becase as you pointed out, there are so many fun berms, turns, ups/downs, and other undulations that would make for a great ride if the damn trail wasn't so f*cking loose.

And then there are the dirt bikes. Jeezus...all day long all you hear is "brrrp.....brrrrp" from the 2-stroke engines. Those guys are usually really cool and are mindful of the guys on MTB's, but it still sucks when you are constantly running into them.

I dunno if I will ever ride out there again. For some reason about every 8-12 months somebody poses yet another ride at P&D...I forget about how crappy the trails were...I think to myself "ok, this could be fun...maybe the trails are more packed down now"...break out the SS...and fall into the same cycle yet again...ending the ride with "jeez...that sucked".

Granted, I haven't ridden some of the all-day epic loops on the Tonto National Forest that Dale posed on this post...so maybe there is something out there (like WAY out there) that is fun. And maybe that is the carrot that will bring me back to P&D yet again.

So in summary...if you can't tell already...I am definitely not very high on the Pima/Dynamte area. In fact, I'd venture to say that both Pima AND Dynamite are more fun on the road bike than they are on the MTB (and remember...Dynamite is 9-mile hill, so that's not saying much!).

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I'm an MTB'er by heart, but I gotta tell you guys that P&D is 800 times more fun on my YZ250F. Just sayin...

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEVS
    I'm an MTB'er by heart, but I gotta tell you guys that P&D is 800 times more fun on my YZ250F. Just sayin...
    I agree with Dale that P/D has some really great stuff to offer. Hike-a-bike and sand are inevitable in places but i'm ok with that as it's all part of the adventure. However, whenever I see the dirtbikers out there in their cool gear throttling up the steep climbs then I get this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach..... Dang! I want to do that!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I used to ride out there a tonne.
    The rolling sweeping single track is awesome.
    I will admit to being envious of the storm troopers on their gravity defying fossil fuel fed contraptions.

PS, brrr brrr is the 4 strokes... bingbing bingwaaaaaa bingbingbing is the 2 strokes...
    Last edited by Mike H.; 10-31-2006 at 08:20 AM.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Dang! I want to do that!
    Yeah, you do. Give it a shot sometime, it's a blast.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEVS
    Yeah, you do. Give it a shot sometime, it's a blast.
    I recently sold my Honda 599 street bike as part of a deal to get my parents to move from Florida to AZ. An unspoken part of that deal was me riding no bikes with motors... I do however see giving dirtbiking a try (just a try!!) in my future if the opportunity were to arise . And what do you know.... my new pals SuLing, Monkeybutt, and Dirtroder are dirtbike riders!! Hmmmmm......

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Nothing against dirtbikers here, either. Used to ride when I was a kid. Luckily for me, though, with my work schedule, I ride weekdays and rarely see another soul. I was completely alone out there yesterday.
    d

mtbr member
    I do however see giving dirtbiking a try (just a try!!) in my future if the opportunity were to arise . And what do you know.... my new pals SuLing, Monkeybutt, and Dirtroder are dirtbike riders!! Hmmmmm......
    Let me know if you guys get a ride organized.
    My YZ is setup just like my DH bike. Left lever is front brake, right lever is rear brake. It has a rekluse clutch so there's no more clutch lever to deal with. It's really quite simple to transition from a MTB to my YZ, but YZ is about 220 pounds heavier

pedaller
    An unspoken part of that deal was me riding no bikes with motors...
    Won't hold up in court! ...unless of course their atty uncovers this written proof...quick..edit your post!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Ouch, I am hot!
    I recently sold my Honda 599 street bike as part of a deal to get my parents to move from Florida to AZ. An unspoken part of that deal was me riding no bikes with motors... I do however see giving dirtbiking a try (just a try!!) in my future if the opportunity were to arise . And what do you know.... my new pals SuLing, Monkeybutt, and Dirtroder are dirtbike riders!! Hmmmmm......
    I rode dirt bikes as a kid for many many years. Unless you do mad crazy stuff like Monkey Butt, I think it is safer than mountain biking in many ways. Tooling around P&D on a Honda has got to be safer the biking the National.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I agree that P&D would be a great place to mtb if it wasn't so loose. The kitty litter single handedly ruins it IMO. Every time I've ridden it, I've seen quite a few dirt bikes cruising around. Makes me wonder if they're part of the reason it's so loose. The power that they're able to lay down must have had some effect. No other place I ride in AZ has the amount of kitty litter that P&D has, yet no other place I ride allows dirt bikes.

BTW, this is just an observation. I'm not knocking dirt bikes or those who ride them. They should have designated areas that they're allowed to ride just like mountain bikers do. P&D just happens to be one of those areas.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I think it's partially just the soil out there. Granted, the dirtbikes make it worse, but I was on some goat trail for about an hour, no tracks at all other than some horses. The soil was the same kitty litter as the travelled portions of the trail.

mr. wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    OK, here are a few that I used to ride all time. You need to look at my GPS map to follow along

Loop 1: Start at P&D intersection: Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then take Slant Mountain trail north to Browns Jam (21), then Metate (24) to the trail 28 south to Cholla trail (30), then west to Roller Coaster and back on Bail out (15).

Start at P&D intersection: Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then take Slant Mountain trail north to Browns Jam (21), then Metate (24), then left on trail 46, then right on Burnout (5), left on trail 44 - Girls Route. Stay on Girls Route, Trail 25, until you hit trail 54, then cut across on the jeep roads to the north end of west Express (23) and take it all the way back to P&D. Rolling DH back to the car.

For more technical and epic rides, here are a couple starting from 136th and Trail 2:
    Loop 3: Head west and pick up Cholla Trail (33 & 30) past Mushroom rock. North on Trail 28, right on tr 24. Make your way over to Girls Route, take that north to Northern Exposure and ride it almost al the way to the east end, but then take the trail that head south that is just west of forest road 2091. Take this trail until it hits road 2092 and then find your way over to East Express and back to 136th and Trail 2. This is a long route and be prepared to be out on the trail for over five hours. Take lots of water. We’ve always had someone run out! Also, this route take some navigational skill, not all the trails are marked, and it’s easy to get turned around out there!

Loop 4: Similar to Loop 3 until you get to Northern Exposure. Head west from 136th and Trail 2 and pick up Cholla Trail (33 & 30) past Mushroom rock. North on Trail 28, right on tr 24. Make your way over to Girls Route, take that north to Harris Hawk, NW on Harris Hawk then cross over road 2091, and ride Rock & Roll clockwise and pop out at the road 2091 & 2091 intersection. If you have any energy left, you can make your way south along The Burn (very technical with hike-a-bikes). This is another long ride, five plus hours!

Here’s a short fun ride for those not into all day epics. Start from P&D. Take West Express (14), cut across over to Flower Garden (18), then cut across between Cone and Slant Mtn. Then take Roller Coaster around to Trail 15. Take Trail 15 north to Dara Sara (16) then southwest to trail 13 and back to P&D. A fun two hour ride.

not to continue a debate on whether P+D is great or sucks. . . but i simply like it for what it is: remote, beautiful desert, rutty, sandy, loose, long winding rides, flowing, whoops, banks, challanging climbs, fast, surfing kitty litter, and aerobic, with many ride options. I ride many of the trails Epic lists, but in different combos. i even don't mind the dirtbikes; they're just another user group enjoying the place, and i rarely meet up with more than one group on any given ride.

i don't ride it much in the summer, but tend to hit it every couple of weeks in the winter. it's absolute perfect for the SS and offers a fun diversion from the regular trails. if it wasn't so damn loose and sandy, i don't think i would like it as much as it adds a different challenge to the equation.

OK, flame suit on. i'm not trying to prove a point, but simply trying to say i like it for many of the reasons most of you don't

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    not to continue a debate on whether P+D is great or sucks. . . but i simply like it for what it is: remote, beautiful desert, rutty, sandy, loose, long winding rides, flowing, whoops, banks, challanging climbs, fast, surfing kitty litter, and aerobic, with many ride options. I ride many of the trails Epic lists, but in different combos. i even don't mind the dirtbikes; they're just another user group enjoying the place, and i rarely meet up with more than one group on any given ride.

i don't ride it much in the summer, but tend to hit it every couple of weeks in the winter. it's absolute perfect for the SS and offers a fun diversion from the regular trails. if it wasn't so damn loose and sandy, i don't think i would like it as much as it adds a different challenge to the equation.

OK, flame suit on. i'm not trying to prove a point, but simply trying to say i like it for many of the reasons most of you don't
    And, because it is so remote, you like it because you don't have to say hello to anyone.

Actually, dirtbag has a point. The last ride I did out there I did like the remote aspect of it. It is peaceful in that sense. While I don't like the kitty litter, the thing that totally kills it for me is the whoop-de-woos. The continuous up and down up and down just gets to me.

I still won't plan a ride out there though.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I think it's partially just the soil out there. Granted, the dirtbikes make it worse, but I was on some goat trail for about an hour, no tracks at all other than some horses. The soil was the same kitty litter as the travelled portions of the trail.
    Quit talking about dirt bikes.

I sold my DR350S about 10 years ago and still miss it. Not really a full-on dirt bike, but I rode a lot of trails I wouldn't even think about riding on my mountain bike. There are many Idaho trails open to dirt bikes -- I've been to some seriously out of the way places in the Owyhee backcountry with my dirt bike, 6 gallons of gas, an aviation chart, a GPS, and my backpack.

I used to ride the dirt bike to the trailhead when I went backpacking, too. Nothing beats a washboard backcountry road like 14 inches of suspension travel.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you read the whole thread, you'll see no one is talking negatively about dirt bikes.

mr. wonderful
    And, because it is so remote, you like it because you don't have to say hello to anyone.
    I'll say hello to ANYONE without ear buds plugged in their head.

JJK
    AZ MTBR

P & D is fun

I ride my DRZ 400 out there and have ridden my MTB's out there plenty. Lot's of
    fun trails, you just need to learn to adapt to all different conditions. The views are
    great and you are still in town. If every trail was the same how boring would that be ?

Anyhow, let's just ride...

Johnny K
    Attached Images Attached Images

It rains here. :(
    I've driven passed Pima and Dynamite tons of times. In my opinion if I'm that far NE I might as well go to a known good ride and head over to McDowell, and ride the Competitive loops or something. These trails sounds very hit or miss.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Agree. P&D is to mountain biking what Ryan Leaf is to football...over-rated and a pain in the arse.

It may have been fun singletrack before the motos got too it, but I think the motos were there first and created most of that network anyway so you can't blame them.

Different story out around 51st ave/pyramid peak however. Lots of nice singletrack getting mangled by quads. Every time I go out there (which is rare now) some new section has recently been "widened".

Chunky Monkey

Good job! P&d

GREAT MAPS. Friends and I have been riding out there for years. After our last rains, the loose granite washed downward a bit....alot! Have you tried the north end of Alma School Trail head? Gets you out to the middle quick. Or the small trail head off Pima, north of Dineomite about a mile on your right and then drive back about a quarter of a mile, you REALLY have to look for it. 20 to 23 to 53 to Northern Exposure. Not a prettier area to ride in metro Phoenix-IMHO.

mtbr member
    Blast from the past !

I used to ride P&D all the time when I lived close by there. It took some time but I finally found a network of single track trails that connect to make a loop while avoiding the moguls,SAND and deadly rock climbs. It's actually very nice out-there, and the place is huge so the motos are no problem. They tend to stick to wider trails and are not allowed in the preserve area..supposedly. I can also hear them coming a mile away so no issue with collision, MTBikers tend to sneak up much more. Also, you need a state permit to ride there.... but the 40 times I was there I was never asked for it.

I will GPS my route next time I'm there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I live in Legend Trail and we have a group that nite rides every Wednesday and weekend rides as well. PM me if you're interested in riding all the nice trails out there. We know them pretty well.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    6-year-old thread bump. For posterity's sake, I never did go back to ride that area again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrEVS View Post
    Yup! 12in travel, super slack geometry, huge meaty tires, and an internal combustion engine can turn those trails into something worth talking about...

I did a sizable loop out there last winter on the MTB, wasn't too bad, just not really exciting or challenging (managed to dodge the sand)..That area has many miles of premium ST for dirt bikes..I can't wait to get back out there when the heat resides a bit..

The two sports are very complimentary as well..When you get used the the quick handling of a MTB, the DB is far more forgiving..And if you think the motor displaces the need to put forth any physical effort, then go knock out a 70mi loop on the DB at a charging pace over continuous 3ft whoops and berms and deep sand, then tell how lazy it makes you feel...
    Check my pulse...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    6-year-old thread bump. For posterity's sake, I never did go back to ride that area again.
    All you need is a good guide to show you where to go.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    I, for one, really like Pima/Dynamite. Great scenery, great cross country, what's not to like? I'm not a big technical rider, so that's probably a part of it.

Registered Bike Offender
    I've said it a dozen times before and I'll say it again; best place to ride in Phx in my opinion. You just need to know where you are going. If you want some GPS routes just PM me and I'll send you the links. I also have a map which shows some of the major MTB trails. I just moved from FH to Cave Creek & Carefree Hwy and will be riding this area more regularly now. Can't wait. One awesome trail is the "rollercoaster".
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I might be headed over there this weekend. will definitely keep an eye out for the "rollercoaster" trail.

Registered Bike Offender
    I might head out there too. If you start off Alma School gate, the roller coaster trail is on your left and basically parallels the power lines. Fast, downhill most of the way, no rocks=fun
    "Grab life by the bars"

Meatbomb
    Where is the Alma School gate located?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Dynamite and Alma School. Follow Alma School back until a gate stops you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    I might be headed over there this weekend. will definitely keep an eye out for the "rollercoaster" trail.
    that's trail 15 head east and north - after few miles started looking for trails west to trail 20 and look for trail 14 for a nice loop - 14 is pretty crazy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    how long would you say each of these loops/trails are? And thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    how long would you say each of these loops/trails are? And thanks for the info.
    The 15 to ? to 20 To 14 back to dynamite starting point is probably 10-15 miles - it a bit over an hour. I usually try to extend by doing the Northwestern trail toward Legend Trail - from 20 and back to 20. That adds up to about 1.5 hour.

Pima and Dynamite is fun because you can go fast there and there are virtually no hikers...except by Legend Trail homes.

Watch out for Trail 11. It's a sand wash without bailouts, I got stuck on it once by mistake - what a work out!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    The 15 to ? to 20 To 14 back to dynamite starting point is probably 10-15 miles - it a bit over an hour. I usually try to extend by doing the Northwestern trail toward Legend Trail - from 20 and back to 20. That adds up to about 1.5 hour.

Pima and Dynamite is fun because you can go fast there and there are virtually no hikers...except by Legend Trail homes.

Watch out for Trail 11. It's a sand wash without bailouts, I got stuck on it once by mistake - what a work out!
    sounds good. Thanks for the info. 1.5 hours sounds good for me. My bike isnt that great as its an older Trek 820 but Ive been trying to get the max potential out of it. I'm hoping my new pedals come by Saturday cause otherwise the ride will be interesting. The pedals on there are complete crap and bent in a few places (not by me)

also can you only access at pima and dynamite or can you park off alma school? This is my first time going up there...

mtbr member
    You can park off Alma School. There's enough shoulder back there, barely. I usually park on the wide shoulder off Dynamite.

Pima and Dynamite is State Trust land, so you're technically supposed to have a permit to be back there. I've never been asked, but, just letting you know. You can also drive back there and stage up by the towers, but I wouldn't if I didn't have a permit. One time, I saw a Scottsdale cop truck with a trailer parked there. I just went to Sonoran instead.

Yeti, if you want to ride there tomorrow evening about 5:30 or so, send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    You can park off Alma School. There's enough shoulder back there, barely. I usually park on the wide shoulder off Dynamite.

Pima and Dynamite is State Trust land, so you're technically supposed to have a permit to be back there. I've never been asked, but, just letting you know. You can also drive back there and stage up by the towers, but I wouldn't if I didn't have a permit. One time, I saw a Scottsdale cop truck with a trailer parked there. I just went to Sonoran instead.

Yeti, if you want to ride there tomorrow evening about 5:30 or so, send me a PM.
    530 pm ? that's rough, there is no shade there, completely exposed - you are a

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks for the invite Eazy but I cant make it tomorrow. Where would I apply for a permit?

Meatbomb
    [QUOTE=Eazy_E;9636927

Yeti, if you want to ride there tomorrow evening about 5:30 or so, send me a PM.[/QUOTE]

Do I need to bring a hot dog ?

Registered Bike Offender
    At the end of Alma School where it dead-ends at the preserve. This is where the Sonoran-Challenge Race had their start gate.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Registered Bike Offender
    Here is my video from the race. Shows some of the fun trails.

2012 McDowell Sonoran Challenge Bike Race - YouTube
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post

haha i ended up watching it yesterday. Saw the comment about the deer and didnt see one. Then I watched it again and

I did the run challenge instead of the bike. That course was pretty brutal for running since there were a lot of dips and loose gravel on the trail.

"No Clue Crew"
    I'd go back out and ride it again, BUT need to hit a few of the "cool" trails. Last time out it was all XC............Drew

mtbr member
    Do I need to bring a hot dog ?
    Only if you bring a bottle of Rumple Minze too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    I'd go back out and ride it again, BUT need to hit a few of the "cool" trails. Last time out it was all XC............Drew
    the jeep roads are boooooooooooooring

"No Clue Crew"
    the jeep roads are boooooooooooooring
    OH, I do remember seeing a guy out there last time in a Jeep! I guess I'd bring the Willy's out there or the Rubicon because it has A/C

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    P&D is AWESOME!!!

You just have to know where to ride.

mtbr member

Do you know where I can find the race trail map?

Registered Bike Offender
    Do you know where I can find the race trail map?
    Each year they change the course. Let me know if these don't work and I can email them to you:

2012 course (there is a few short HAB spots 2/3 into the course. Mostly due to really steep and off-camber):

2012 McDowell Sonoran Challenge Bike Race by 1fast29er at Garmin Connect - Details

2011 course:

McDowell Sonoran Challenge 2011 by 1fast29er at Garmin Connect - Details
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Each year they change the course. Let me know if these don't work and I can email them to you:

2012 course (there is a few short HAB spots 2/3 into the course. Mostly due to really steep and off-camber):

2012 McDowell Sonoran Challenge Bike Race by 1fast29er at Garmin Connect - Details

2011 course:

McDowell Sonoran Challenge 2011 by 1fast29er at Garmin Connect - Details
    Cool, thanks. I didn't realize that P&D is part of the McDowell preserve, I was looking at the maps by Thompson and Bell.
    What's HAB? Do you mean there are some hairy ascents/descents in 2012 map?

12 mph average speed? whoa, that's some fast riding for that terrain->

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    HAB='s Hike-A-Bike. Get out der and ride it. Some really good riding and scenery to be had.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    yeah im psyched for this weekend. Got my pedals and osprey raptor in the mail this weekend. Will be out there for a little while on Sunday

mtbr member
    yeah im psyched for this weekend. Got my pedals and osprey raptor in the mail this weekend. Will be out there for a little while on Sunday
    I am getting my osprey viper 10, rei has a sale!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARIZycle View Post
    HAB='s Hike-A-Bike. Get out der and ride it. Some really good riding and scenery to be had.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    OK I think I figured this one out.
    1. Start at Alma School Gate
    2. Trail 27 - North
    3. 21 - E
    4. 24 - N
    5. 46 NE to 5 NW
    6. 22 NE
    7. 25 SW
    8. 3 N
    9. 22 S to 44S
    10. 24 S
    11. 5 W
    12. 46S to 28 S
    13. Power line road W
    14. 24 N
    15. Rollercoaster ? NW
    16. 27 S
    17 ASG

18 miles - sounds like great ride, I never made it up to the northeastern area of P& D
    Lots of exploring to do this fall.. and winter.. and spring...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am getting my osprey viper 10, rei has a sale!
    nice yeah I got the 14 from amazon for $65 shipped. Couldnt believe it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    so if you enter through the alma school gate, do you park right by that gate? Looking at the google maps street view, it does look like there is too much parking by the gate.....

mtbr member
    so if you enter through the alma school gate, do you park right by that gate? Looking at the google maps street view, it does look like there is too much parking by the gate.....
    There's room, you just gotta hop the curb a little, or do a half and half.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    works for me. thanks

DFMBA.org
    Rode P&D once and I won't be going back either. Sandy, kitty-litterish trails ain't my thing especially when I can drive down Dynamite another 10 minutes and pop onto Pemberton/MMP.

Sent from my mountain bike while crashing
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Registered Bike Offender
    Cool, thanks. I didn't realize that P&D is part of the McDowell preserve, I was looking at the maps by Thompson and Bell.
    What's HAB? Do you mean there are some hairy ascents/descents in 2012 map?

12 mph average speed? whoa, that's some fast riding for that terrain->
    Yep city of Scottsdale bought a bunch of land back in January and are actually gonna build trails between the Mcdowells and the D&P area.

HAB= Hike a' Bike

Means the trail gets bad enough you have to hike it.

It is fast. Thats one reason I like that area. Fast, smooth (very little rocks), flowing is the best way to describe it.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Registered Bike Offender
    Plenty of room to park. I might go out there tomarrow (Saturday) morning. Can't decide between that or pre-ride the Cave Creek Bike Festival race route since I live just down the street from it now.
    "Grab life by the bars"

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Plenty of room to park. I might go out there tomarrow (Saturday) morning. Can't decide between that or pre-ride the Cave Creek Bike Festival race route since I live just down the street from it now.
    ill prob be out there Sunday morning. I will prob be recovering tomorrow morning and there is just too much college football to watch

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    went out there this morning. Went to try to access the Alma school gate but saw signs that there was no trailhead parking so went back to pima and dynamite. Overall I thought it was great. Had a blast for my first time riding on some real trails. I took trail 1 to 13 to 15 and followed that to 1 and came back. There were a few cars out there but didnt see anyone on the trails. All the trails were great except trail 1 is loaded with sand and randomly there would be sandy spots in the washes. Tomorrow I plan on going out there for a longer ride....although this one did take me about an hour and a half total...stopped and enjoyed the sites along the way.

The trail coaster trail alone the west side of cone mountain was definitely out of my league. Either way was a good ride and plan on getting out there tomorrow.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Any other maps of the area, Dale's (epicrider) site appears to be gone? I went out last night and had a lot of fun, unfortunately I had no idea where I was going so a map would be great...
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Pima and Dynamite Trail System

i printed the second one and took it with me. Seems to be pretty spot on. Rode there this morning again and took 1 to 13 to 15. then took roller coaster east to bail out. Went around cone mountain and took 18 back to 1. Since I wasnt ready to go straight home, I took 1 to 16 to 13 back to 1 and then came back. All in all it took about 2 hours with about a 5 min stop at cone mountain to have a snack. Was a pretty nice ride and found some other bikers out there...

Just A Mountain Biker.

i printed the second one and took it with me. Seems to be pretty spot on. Rode there this morning again and took 1 to 13 to 15. then took roller coaster east to bail out. Went around cone mountain and took 18 back to 1. Since I wasnt ready to go straight home, I took 1 to 16 to 13 back to 1 and then came back. All in all it took about 2 hours with about a 5 min stop at cone mountain to have a snack. Was a pretty nice ride and found some other bikers out there...
    Perfect, thank you - exactly what I needed to figure out what I rode and what I want to ride next time. Sun was going down when I was finishing up and even with the power lines as a guide to where I parked it was a little intimidating not know where I was going.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    had the same crappy experience with sand everywhere... i found some decent stuff to ride on west of the jeep road going northish closest to p and d. i live close by so it's ok if not wanting to travel but i wouldn't recommend or make it a destination. too many other great rides to spend much time there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by othersuper View Post
    had the same crappy experience with sand everywhere... i found some decent stuff to ride on west of the jeep road going northish closest to p and d. i live close by so it's ok if not wanting to travel but i wouldn't recommend or make it a destination. too many other great rides to spend much time there.
    yeah I pretty much stay between the power lines and havent had much of an issue. There is one wash that I had to walk through but other then that, i havent had a problem. Once you get closer to the mountains, there is minimal sand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by othersuper View Post
    you have to have someone show you the way...

I have been out there so many times, one bad turn can mean a difference between a shitty, sandy wash and an awesome trail. You REALLY have to know which way to go... 65% of the trails are shitty and the rest are awesome.

I know this is blasphemy on this forum, but they really should just close some of the un-usable trails - like trail 11 is a sandy wash, it's a great work out - I have done it unwillingly but not very UNinspiring. Right next to it is a trail 14, an awesome, quick, a bit techy trail best done upon return.

mtbr member

try 14 or even 20 for returns - 10x better than 1, I only took 1 once when I was escaping a sudden thunderstorm.

mtbr member

I know this is blasphemy on this forum, but they really should just close some of the un-usable trails - like trail 11 is a sandy wash, it's a great work out - I have done it unwillingly but not very UNinspiring. Right next to it is a trail 14, an awesome, quick, a bit techy trail best done upon return.
    ALL the trails are usable, go pick up a Surly Moonlander and sand is no problem. Close a trail because it's difficult for you to ride?

In the rear with the beer
    I think P&D has great "potential". If more people rode it more often, the trails would get a little nicer and gradual "re-routes" that are more bike friendly would, I"m sure, magically appear. I did the mcdowell sonoran challenge last year and was pleasantly surprised by some of the trails I never knew about out there. I occasionally hit it up with some friends to mix up the riding a bit. Plus, I bet if mtb riders got more involved out there/had a bigger presence, some great riding trails would develop. Its never gonna be a DH'ers paradise, but people looking to spend a few hours in the saddle could really grow to love it!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

Members who have read this thread: 4