First bike, first ride- Mtbr.com
    Too many Sedonuts...

First bike, first ride

I'm sure this has been posted before, but what the heck, I'm feeling nostalgic this afternoon...Just took inventory in my garage

What was your first mtn bike and where was your first ride on dirt?

Me = 1986. A CroMo Schwinn High Sierra, Deore components, with those awesome indexed thumb shifters. Rode up Guadalupe from my parents house until it ended way up Pima canyon (in the days before the parking lot) near where the bench is now. Up Mormon, then back down and thru the east-west loops. No blood that day, but there was more to come. Toe-clips, Reeboks, and 1.9 Tioga tires, later upgraded to Farmer Johns.

Good times.

When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    I'm sure this has been posted before, but what the heck, I'm feeling nostalgic this afternoon...Just took inventory in my garage

Me = 1986. A CroMo Schwinn High Sierra, Deore components, with those awesome indexed thumb shifters. Rode up Guadalupe from my parents house until it ended way up Pima canyon (in the days before the parking lot) near where the bench is now. Up Mormon, then back down and thru the east-west loops. No blood that day, but there was more to come. Toe-clips, Reeboks, and 1.9 Tioga tires, later upgraded to Farmer Johns.

Good times.

Wow that takes me back...

In 1998 I purchased a full rigid mongoose threshold (on layaway). I learned how to ride the Mormon/National on my mongoose but, as one would expect, I dumped over the bars many times before I learned to sit low behind the seat on the roller drops. I could not afford a car so I pedaled my bike to and from work and to the trails daily, riding before and after work. I was very addicted...that has not changed one bit. Back then, the Pirahna pro's were my tire of choice...2.1 in the front and 1.95 in the back. Even though the geometry of the bike was not great I still give credit to this bike for teaching me how to ride a mountain bike in technical. Today I still rely on my bike for transportation/fun and still do not own a car. I prefer to ride my bike to destinations...I always feel better when I get there.

mtbr member
    24" fully rigid Raleigh "mtn bike". Thumb shifters, plastic pedals, etc. 1992 Desert Classic to Ramadas and I was hooked.

I think I took it to Bike Masters 3X a week to get the wheels trued for 2 years. Boy did those guys make fun of me!

mtbr member
    Nice!! My first ride was on a Trek antelope back in 1992... I traded an old car for 3 bikes in various shape and made one ride-able one. I had a front tioga psycho tire, rear farmer john, purple bits on it, and a Tange front suspension fork, Altus rapid fire shifters... it was awesome. First mtb ride was in Wyoming... through trails with snowdrifts still on them and it was a blast... hooked for good.

A couple of years later I did a race... the Laramie enduro... the first year that it was held. Had a good time and completed 60 miles or so. The race was held a couple of times in the 90's, and appears to have been resurrected the past 4 or 5 years and has been growing. I need to get back up there just to ride the awesome trails....

oooh, shiny...
    First Bike: Bianchi Lynx

First Ride: Chicopee Woods Trail System, Georgia : Coyote loop. (In the wrong direction)

I had the bike for a few years before I ever took it out on a trail. My buddy always said he would get a bike and we would go ride together. About 6 months before I moved out to AZ he won a Garry Fisher Marlin in a game of pool. I knew on my first ride I was hooked! Was not so sure about my friend, but he is still riding the same bike with about $1200 in upgrades.

mtbr member
    to the best of my recollection:

1986/7 - some cannondale with a 24" rear wheel i bought from a friend.
    tooled around papago - up and down the 'channel' on the south side of hole in the rock; south on the 'singletrack' paralleling the canal and out to all the spider trails near curry rd just looking for anything to climb up and roll down. headed back north and crossed galvin pkwy and hit everything we could ride north of galvin.

my helmet had a sweet pink and blue cover on it. it was rad.

mtbr member
    The year before I moved to AZ my brother took me on a ride in Palos Hills, south of Chicago. For being so close to the city the trails were good fun and offered some whoops and jumps in and out of ravines.The trails were good enough to keep my interest, but were too far from where I lived on the north side. So I was much more road focused.

I was riding a 98' or so Giant carbon frame that I got on ebay (which was heavier than the cheap aluminum frame that replaced it).

"No Clue Crew"
    Date: Summer of 1987
    Trail: whole beachline of the island
    Bike: 1987 Cannonade SM400 (Custom Turquoise paint and airbrushing; IT WAS THE 80's!!!)

This bike was sole from me in 1991 after 3 years of nonstop east coast riding.

I haven't riding until a few weeks back. Thanks Dion for the push.......Drew

EDIT: Did some digging here are the bike specs for it:

1987 SM400 Aluminum Tange Unicrown Tange Tioga Sealed Suntour Alpha 3000 AccuShift Suntour Alpha 3000 Maillard Diablo sealed Sun Levanter L25 Knobby 1.5 Dia Compe 960 Dia Compe 284 Sugino VP 28/38/48 MKS G-5000 Suntour Alpha 3000 AccuShift 7000 series alloy Suntour Perfect 5 14/32 SR MTS 130 white or turquoise w/ or w/o graphics

Last edited by Grave9; 09-08-2009 at 06:03 PM.

im4Gsus
    april 2001, rigid 1992 schwinn, somo east/west loops. i loved it and been riding almost every week since then. the first mountain bike i bought, three weeks later, was a giant NRS which weighed a ton!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

It's a slugfest!

first bike / first ride

1991, blue Cannondale M500 I think. First trail was Pinnacle Peak (they used to hold the Cactus Cup race there). Man, I miss that trail...
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    1990. 20" hard tail and hard everything and single speed.
    There was no name or a specific brand on the frame of the bike,
    and i used it to carry grass or weed (or whatever the heck you call it) as food for my mother's pigs. but i had good times with that bike

"Yabut"
    I got my first bike back in 1989. I actually still have it! It's a 89 GT Karakoram K2. It has a steel frame, Deore DX components, Ritchey wheels. Even has the Shimano U-Brake rear brake! Rigid fork, because that's all there was. I was a roadie back then, and one day my buddy showed up at the beach with a cheap Murray Baja "mountain bike". I asked if I could ride it around, and soon I was jumping off curbs, and riding on the beach. The next day I went to my bike shop with $600, and bought that GT. I didn't know anybody that mountain biked, so I just rode it on some local walking trails, that had no name. After a couple months, I met a guy at work who mountain biked. He took me out to some area near Mt. Pilchuck, in WA. state. I remember coming to a hill that seemed soooo steep, that it scared the **** outta me to go down. It was really nothing. But at the time, that hill was going to be the death of me. But here I am, 20 years later, still riding.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Saucy Size
    Brave post, Grave9. That is one, uh...pepto-pink Cannondale you have there.

First mtb I ever rode was my buddy's dad's Bridgestone MB2. No idea what year. Bastard weighed a ton. He'd added a flex-stem to help absorb some shock, which made riding it an adventure. I think it had 1.7 knobbies and cantis.

First mtb I ever OWNED was some Sears-brand piece of crap. Got stolen after about 2 months, which prompted me to buy a Scott something-or-other.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Brave post, Grave9. That is one, uh...pepto-pink Cannondale you have there.

First mtb I ever rode was my buddy's dad's Bridgestone MB2. No idea what year. Bastard weighed a ton. He'd added a flex-stem to help absorb some shock, which made riding it an adventure. I think it had 1.7 knobbies and cantis.

First mtb I ever OWNED was some Sears-brand piece of crap. Got stolen after about 2 months, which prompted me to buy a Scott something-or-other.
    LOL, that is the only photo online I could find. Mine was Turquoise with "custom" airbrushing, but it being the 80's I probably would of rode it!

Saucy Size
    Teal totally needs to make a comeback. Maybe Salsa will have a run of retro-paintjob bikes at some point.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

banned
    First MTB ride was at Hidden Valley Mtn Resort in PA late 80's.

First actual bike was a Bridgestone MB3 around 1990. I fondly remember poaching the trails at Percy Warner Park in Nashville, Tn.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I bought a 300 dollar chromoly Giant Rincon in 1992. It had shimano thumbshifters. I worked all damn summer as a 7th grader to get that thing. I bought it after jumping a day old Walmart Roadmaster MTB like two feet and bending the handlebars all the way to the headtube. Luckily Walmart gave me my money back and I dug footings for two more months to get money to buy a real bike from Bike World in Albuquerque. Unfortunately, it was stolen in my first semester of college in 1998.

I rode it around the river trails on the banks of the Rio Grande in New Mexico but never in the mountains. That didn't happen until I moved to Phoenix six years ago and ventured off that pink path at Dreamy Draw on my second mountain bike, a 2003 Specialized Hardrock. Then I was really hooked.
    Last edited by PrincipalRider; 09-09-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    First MTB that I bought was from Costco in 1995. Full Force Thunder Mountain. Basically a Specialized Rockhopper knockoff. Full rigid. I later added the FlexStem. At the time I rode with a buddy that had a Crack'nFail hardtail. We started out on the canals and then progressed to Papago and T-100. I remember folding the rigid fork on that bike on T-100 I believe. I also snapped the crankarm in half riding SevenSprings. Good Times.
    Even earlier memories on two wheels were from when I was growing up in New York out in the boondocks of Long Island. I was probably about 6 years old when I rode all over the town and on trails in the forest. This was in 1976 or so so there weren't really MTBs, I think mine was like some bananna bike or something. I remember I really wanted one of the fast looking bikes with the shifter on the top tube. I think that was when I got the trailbuilding bug as well. I remember using the lawn mower to cut trails in our alfalfa field. I don't think mom was too amused, but I liked it.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    88 or 89 on a full rigid huffy on this short connector trail off of 44th street and mcdonald/tatum area. Had a sweet roll in that you could launch! The next year I picked up a trek and spent many hours around the 36th st and lincoln entrance of T-100 area.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Pivotal figure
    I got my first Mtn Bike in '94, a friggin HUGE Trek Antelope (had to run the seatpost almost flush with the top tube). As for a first ride, we started by messing around on the canals then finally hit T-100 (the old lot off of Shea). My very first ride offroad was on my vintage Redline BMX though. I figured I could ride anything with it so I tried a short section of T-100. Not recommended btw
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    87 Trek Antelope... bought used in 89 for $200. Started commuting 1/2 way to work on trail 100 between Shaw Butte and 7th Ave. It was just a way to turn commuting into excersise at first. The competition thing took root at the 1990 Cactus Cup race, gained speed during the early 90s NORBA boom and now I am totally addicted.

Got to go now and get the commuter ready for the trip to work in the morning

How do I do that?
    :False start - 1995, received a C'Dale Killer-V as a college grad gift. Unfortunately, lbs sold my somewhat vertically challenged 5'7" frame a XL. They had the sticker removed and all and I was non the wiser then. Had an epiphany some years later....."Get out of here, MTB's come in different sizes?" Wound up slapping some slicks on it as I lived in NY and used it for an occasional ride through the concrete jungle. It's in mint condition since it spent most of its life hanging by its front wheel in my apartment ala Seinfeld. I could never get myself to feel right when I used it.....

True start - First week of June this year. Bought a used C'Dale Rize 3 and started riding T100 basically on a daily basis and never looked back. Got hooked hard and can't get enough of it! I think this bike has more miles on it in 3 months then the Killer-V accumulated in 14 years!

Basically, I'm riding and feeling like I'm 12 years old again!..... well, mentally at least

mtbr member
    nishiki colorado 1987 Chiva Falls Tucson. rode that bike 3 rides before it completely fell apart. bought a bridgestone mb1 after that which last me almost 10yrs before it was stolen.

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    I'm either getting really old, or I started MTB'ing at an early age (I was 13).

Bike: 1985 Schwinn High Sierra
    Place: All over Mt. Elden. I grew up practically at the base of it, so those trails were right out my back yard.

Prior to getting a proper mountain bike, we used to pillage those trails on our 20" BMX'ers, starting back in about '79-'80(ish).

Now where did I put my Geritol??
    "America is all about speed... Hot, nasty, badass speed!!!"
    -Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    The year before I moved to AZ my brother took me on a ride in Palos Hills, south of Chicago. For being so close to the city the trails were good fun and offered some whoops and jumps in and out of ravines.The trails were good enough to keep my interest, but were too far from where I lived on the north side.

Do you know what the trails sytem near the Chicago Botanical Gardens were called? My first bike was a Fuji Discovery, Almost Neon green that I bought off a soccer player while I was going to college in Deerfield (1995). I remember that it had "Biopace" chainrings on it that were shaped like an egg. It was supposed to help with pedaling efficiency but you can see how well that worked out since I have never seen another one since. My first real ride was on some trails that took us near the botanical gardens and was pretty flat with some creek crossings except for this mound we found that had a ton of great lines coming off it that usually ended with a jump at the bottom. The one that sticks out the most in my mind was thinking I had the skills to fly over a 15-20' creek that they built a jump in front of. Needless to say I ended up muddy, wet, and with a slightly bent front fork but also an immediate love for MTB.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe

Good times.

Hhmmm, I guess first "mountain bike" was a POS Huffy I bought for college. To burn off steam, I'd take it out at night and ride around UA campus and jump the irrigation burms. Basically rode it into the ground, then bought a used Trek off a friend, but never took it mt biking. My first venture into mt biking was preparing for the Mojave Death Race (a 12-person relay race--consisting of running, road bike, and mt bike--in the Mojave Desert), and bought a brand new Fisher Mt. Tam for the race. It was $900, and I couldn't believe I was spending that much money on a bike. Little did I know...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

parenting for gnarness
    Trek 930 in 1994. Rode it all over DC and commuted to Georgetown on it. Didn't know much at all about trails, probably the first adventure was riding it out to Great Falls, VA. did a little bit of trails the next year in Raleigh, NC at a park south of town. got my real introduction to mtb when i moved to Tucson and a friend took me all over Chiva Falls in '96. Chiva destroyed me and I soon upgraded. The bike went to my (future) wife, then to a friend, then to his wife.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    My first mtb was a Giant Rincon... I think '88 or so. It was a commuter at NAU, sold to fund a spring break trip. The first mtb I actually used on a trail was a '88 Rockhopper Comp. The initial trail ride was out to Fisher Point on a lightly raining day, and we missed the turn around spot and ended up going out the other side WAY out on Lake Mary rd. It was a long haul back, but man, I was hooked.

I love bike!
    Mine was a Research Dynamics Coyote something or other that I bought like in '97. Needed a bike for commuting up at NAU. Friend of mine worked at Phoenix Sports (I think that's what it was called) so got me the employee discount which I think ended up costing @$350-400 which I thought was really spensive. Didn't know anything about bikes and probably hadn't even ridden a bike in 4-5 years. All I knew is it was aluminum frame, with a RST fork (like an inch and a half of travel), shimano components, and cool graphite paint. Sold what was left of it about a year ago at a garage sale for like $20.

First trail ride was maybe about a year later out at Fisher Point SE of NAU campus.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    1988 Schwinn Sierra... probably rode around some alley or along the canal.

First one I bought was a Diamondback Ascent with the Marzocchi fork, 1992-3. I grew up around North Mountain so probably T100. My folks still have both bikes.

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    94/95ish - purple and gray Motiv from Costco. Rode up Mormon/National to the towers... my brother was leading the way and I think he was trying to get rid of me....

And I don't mean the band
    First mtn bike was a green and pink Loekie (www.loekie.nl - they don't really make kid's mtn bikes anymore tho) single speed 24" rigid. This was about 1994 or 1995 probably. Hit the dirt straight away, before I knew that what I was doing was called mountain biking. I just thought it was cool to shred up green belt areas (the plants and bushes really didn't get a chance since I got the bike) with those 'huge' mountain bike tires. Pretty soon after that I started hitting curbs, jumps etc. etc.

Then I started taking the bike apart, to replace some components, and my mom thought the bike was broken so one day I came home and she told me she gave it to the recycling truck people. At that time I had actually just repainted the frame (glossy white, just like my parents' Ford, that was the only paint I could find LOL).....
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

mtbr member

first bike

Second one for GT Karakoram, rode about a year on that. Moved up to an Aluminum Zaskar, agian about a year then Wheh.. Xixang Ti. Rode around the old cactus cup course for years till they bulldozed it.
    Chip (now Carbon and Married )

Sup?

Trek Antelope Baby!

fully rigid trek 800 22" frame too big for me, beat myself silly on T100 the first few
    years after moving to AZ from KS (1990/1991)

Was more of a roadie at the time.

Later fixed that bike back up and gave it to my Father.

Biopace FTW!

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    1986 diamondback apex, TEAL... farmer johns, biopace, shimano deore shifters (with the deer antlers on it). I bought this bike new at Russ at Bike Chalet in north mesa, and took it for my first ride at Blevins trail in Usery Park. Been hooked since!

mr. wonderful
    OK, I'll play.

First mountain bike:1986 (I think) Jamis Dakar. Tange Presitge tube set, Deore kit (complete with a U-brake mounted under the chain stays), upgraded to Mavic sealed bearing BB, Mavic sealed bearing hubs laced to Mavic MA 40 rims cut down to 26" by Keith Bontrager when he was still working out of his garage, and Specialized Ground Control tires (I don't think there were any other options at the time).

First ride: I'm going to guess the Panther Creek section of the Pacific Crest Trail on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge. The entire Pacific Crest Trail is now closed to mountain bikes. Such a shame as it might be the sweetest, buffest, and fastest single track I have ever ridden.

But my first ride just as easily it could have been a poach of the Wild Wood, Maple, or Aspen trails in Forest Park in Portland, something I did on a regular basis in the late 80s. Some things in life are just too good to leave untouched

mtbr member
    My first real mtb, once I elevated past the huffy kid stage was a '96 or '97 Raliegh M60 fully rigid. I rode this bike somewhat around the desert, mostly around Scottsdale TPC, looking for lost golf balls. Funny story about this bike, my first year at NAU (2000), this bike was slowly but gradually stripped of wheels, seat, and seatpost over the winter while I was at the dorms.

My first "Real" ride was on my '98-'00 blue Rockhopper w/ yellow Rock Shox. My buddy took me a couple of times on the "Dry Lake Hills" loop (up Rocky Ridge, up Lower Brookbank, Little Gnar, Down Shultz) - I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen. When we tried that one ccw, I took a nasty spill on the baby heads on Lower Brookbank. Ahhh, the memories.

Side note, I still have that rockhopper and would like to convert it to a single speed commuter type bike for a future project.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Fragile - must be Italian
    My first "trail riding" around here was way back in the 70's. At the time I lived near 40th and Shea and owned a 1976/77 Mongoose BMX with the moto-mags. I used to ride that bike on the "Christensen Trail", what we now call T100, in and around the 40th St entrance. Back then 40th St was a dirt road south of Shea and north of Cholla.

My first "real" mountain bike was a 1993 Motiv Ground Pounder...complete with Exage components (18 speed thumb shifters), Araya rims, Ritchey bars/stem, and Tange cro-mo frame/fork. A few years later I upgraded the fork with a Manitou 2 elastomer fork. I rode that bike everywhere in and around T100...mainly between Cave Creek Rd and Dreamy Draw.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    My first MTB was a black Stumpjumper Comp back in 1986. First dirt ride was in the hills above Cal Poly Pomona where I was in school at the time. Good times!

mtbr member
    Fun post! Trek 830 in college in Fort Collins CO, circa 1985. Big old wide bars with the crossbar. Sold it before moving home, 'cause there's no mountain biking in AZ. Woke up and got my gunmetal greay Spec. Rockhopper comp in 87 or so. I put a "future shock" on it when they came out. Still have it. Good times!

Members who have read this thread: 0