Finally... Waterfall.- Mtbr.com
    How much further ???

Finally... Waterfall.

Well I know riding the waterfall is no big deal for many but I finally attempted it this weekend and made it. I tried 3 times and made it down everytime, but the first two attempts I kept veering right after the last stepdown and had to unclip. On the third try I made the rollout too. I also rode the merry-go round (I believe its called). That one got me much more than the waterfall due to the fact that as I was making the sharp left turn to start dropping down the rock, my rear hit the little lip and gave me a brief feeling of going OTB. Took about 3 minutes for my heart to slow down.
    Its great stuff out there and I definitly need to get out there more as this was only my second time riding National.
    We ran into dsittman out on the trail and he showed me how you ride the triangle. (Well done!) I passed on that one for now as I kept envisioning big0mike working that rock over.
    He also caught me in a nice oh ***** moment as I somehow unclipped right before the section were there are about 4 nice rollers/step downs in a row. Wasnt sure I was going to pull that one off.
    Great times for sure !!!!
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice work!!!!

I love bike!
    Nicely done Doug Glad we ran into you out there. It was funny when I showed you the line thru the middle of the triangle the first time. I hadn't tried that line in quite some time since I've been trying to master the line over the rocks to the right. I pretty much showed you every way how NOT to roll thru that section

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Nice! You beat me to it and I've been riding National for about 10 years! Can't say I've ever given it a serious try though. Usually just passing through. You made it look pretty easy.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

skilldest©
    Way cool!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Way to go.

How much further ???
    Thanks all. It felt good to get that one off the bucket list. Now I have to try some of the other lines.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

My other ride is your mom
    Congrats!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congrats! And nice work, you will find as I have that carrying more speed in the future makes the bike "float" better over the last few rocks. First time I did it I did it 4 times in a row just to make sure it was not a "fluke" - very much a psyche-out section!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Thanks all. It felt good to get that one off the bucket list. Now I have to try some of the other lines.
    there are a few

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That was looking really good , nice job makes you feel good to get that monkey off your back

Let the bikes in!
    Nice work! Next is spine, then the lines on the left. I found teh spine to be a little easier than the chute...

"No Clue Crew"
    Great job! The waterfall is easy after you've done it a bunch but we all remember our first time. It's a big mind game to overcome and you did it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice work. I rode National yesterday with some buddies for the second time. I just picked up a different bike, 2006 Stumpy FSR, and wow what a difference down that trail. Like you said, I need to get this off of my bucket list too.

powered by bacon
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman View Post
    Nicely done Doug Glad we ran into you out there. It was funny when I showed you the line thru the middle of the triangle the first time.
    That was pretty funny. Way to show him the easy line!

No Clue Crew
    Nice job, Doug. Roll it a few more times and you'll pick up some speed. Then it'll seem even easier.

And don't worry about that triangle. Even after the bashing I gave it there's plenty left to work on That one is frustrating for sure.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishcarbombs View Post
    Nice work. I rode National yesterday with some buddies for the second time. I just picked up a different bike, 2006 Stumpy FSR, and wow what a difference down that trail. Like you said, I need to get this off of my bucket list too.
    I hear that about the bike. I think a big reason I even attepted the waterfall was the fact I was riding my new bike. For no reason other than my old bike had a 71 degree head angle and my new one is 66 or something close, the confidence I had decending really went up. Good luck.

How much further ???
    Thanks Mike. A little more speed always seems to help. That triangle line seems more like a little trials riding though. I feel like getting some 2x4's and making a few platforms so I can practice large step ups in my backyard. lol.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Thanks Mike. A little more speed always seems to help. That triangle line seems more like a little trials riding though. I feel like getting some 2x4's and making a few platforms so I can practice large step ups in my backyard. lol.
    Not a bad idea. Go to some warehouse district where some has tons of pallets sitting around and swipe a few. Our build up rather quickly and I've often thought as I sit staring at 4 or 5 8' stacks of pallets how much fun it would be to bring the nail gun out and make my own little freeride park

In all honesty, I believe that all the practicing and playing I've done on obstacles like the triangle has helped me more than anything I've done. Besides going from a 3" HT to a 6" AM bike It's frustrating as hell at first because it's very difficult when you are used to riding around piles of rocks. But tackling the obstacle helps immensely with balance and the power you need to muscle up them, IMO, helps with strength more than more miles do. That's why I enjoy SoMo so much. Plus, it helps teach you that you can, and many times DO, need to be in a taller gear.

As always, YMMV, but that's how I feel about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    congrats.
    nice bike.
    My bike, Slayer 70

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Not a bad idea. Go to some warehouse district where some has tons of pallets sitting around and swipe a few. Our build up rather quickly and I've often thought as I sit staring at 4 or 5 8' stacks of pallets how much fun it would be to bring the nail gun out and make my own little freeride park
    You can ALWAYS check this guys videos out! He is a "Master of the Pallet"

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    there are a few
    I'm pretty sure the term "lines" doesn't actually exist in Drew's vocabulary. Oh wait...unless "lines" means the entire landscape of SoMo?

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9 View Post
    You can ALWAYS check this guys videos out! He is a "Master of the Pallet"

Since this is the second time you have re-posted this, I will now call you my Official Jock Rider.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by helidave View Post
    That was pretty funny. Way to show him the easy line!

Nice to meet you Dave. Gotta get in more rides up Natty as opposed to taking the weenie way up . Hope to meet you out on the trails again soon