Beer Drnkr w/bike problem

It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....

trouble with the pics.
    Last edited by TacoBeer; 05-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Well it finally happened to me, you always here of it happening to others but never thought it would happen to you. I went into my garage to clean up and maintenance my bike and what happened next was heart breaking. No, it wasnít stolen but the next worse thing to have done.
    I recently raced the MBAA Globe event and the Whiskey off road just the week prior, so the bike needed some serious cleaning and replacement parts. I gave her a sponge bath, put on a new chain and changed the front brake pads. All going good until I recalled that during the Globe race the bike wasnít performing quite as well (I wasnít either) and kept hearing a creaking sound from the seat, I figure the seat stays were mashed in from the Whiskey so I replaced it with a brand new seat. Took her for a spin and still the creaking, I disassembled the seat post clamp cleaning it well and putting back and still the creaking sound was made. I grabbed the seat post and twisted and it was making the creaking sound, so I figure the clamp may be loose and dirt got in there somehow so I will take it off and clean it. I loosened the clamp and began to pull the seat post out, I almost got it all the way out when the entire seat clamp area of the frame simply bent back. CRACKED FRAME! Thatís right, the frame is destroyed and I am amazed it didnít snap during the race. I am very saddened, this was without a doubt the best bike I ever had. The worse part is Gary Fisher doesnít make the same frame anymore, they changed the Rigs geometry in 2010 (I think it was 2010) so I canít replace it. This bike took me to new levels of riding and will be missed dearly, you can send cards and flowers to my garage.
    I had to dust off the geared Niner MCR for now, itís going to suck riding that thing. The good news is I will be looking for a new single speed, there are sooooooo many choices that I am already dizzy, prices are crazy different too, low as $500 for a complete bike up to $2700 for frame & front rigid fork only. What to do, what to do, I guess Iíll have to test ride everyone of them I can and see what feels right. Until then I will be a gear head, wish me luck.

Posting Rules
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-102_4457.jpg  

It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-102_4475.jpg  

It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-102_4461.jpg  

"Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Looks to me like a good welder could possibly repair that? Use a longer seatpost next time.

The crazy part is the seat post was never cut, it's the original size and was at least 8" in. I am not one to cut a post to save .02 oz. After all the crashes over the years and some at very high speed it was bound to break sometime. I would never trust a fix it weld, I got lucky this time I don't want to chance the next time.

Got a suspension fork
    So long as you don't take it on a Hairball ride and taco the wheel afterwards... you're welcome to take my Kona Unit for a spin and see if you like the ride.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    I though Gary Fisher had a lifetime warranty on their frames? Are you the original owner?
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pretty sure Gary Fisher will replace the frame for you...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Fisher/Trek guarantee worked out well for me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-img_2218.jpg  

It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-img_2217.jpg  

It finally happened, I go to the garage and.....-img_1765.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    I though Gary Fisher had a lifetime warranty on their frames? Are you the original owner?
    I am not the original owner but I may know him, I'll have to check into that.

mtbr member
    Damn dude, sorry for your loss. but you will find a *better* bike.....only because it's new!

finding exactly what you want is half the fun. go find the geometry of this bike and have fun searching.
    b

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I found a crack in my last frame while washing it as well.....now I just don't clean the new one

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Lone Wolf McQuade
    BTW, I came home from the Whiskey with a few new scars too

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer
    The crazy part is the seat post was never cut, it's the original size and was at least 8" in. I am not one to cut a post to save .02 oz. After all the crashes over the years and some at very high speed it was bound to break sometime. I would never trust a fix it weld, I got lucky this time I don't want to chance the next time.
    That stinks. I killed a frame a similar way, even though I had "massive" insertion, it was still a massively long seatpost and the "lever" put more on the bike than it could take in the end. Riding hard (and sitting) during descents wasn't good for it either. My point is you can have enough insertion relative to the seatpost and still kill the frame with it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    That sucks!!

At least try and get the frame warrantied, and if you dont like the geo on the new frame you can always sell and use the $ towards something else!!

There is a sweet large Jabberwocky on Craigs that I saw last night!

mtbr member
    Fast Track in Mesa can fix that I am sure. He has repaired motorcycle road race frames for me- and those take as much if not more stress than we can do on a MTB- not to mention, i ttrusted the work at 160mph! 480-649-1093 Dave. He is a little odd but don't let that scare you. If it can be fixed- heh can do it!

I own the same bike and am gonna check mine now- you have me scared Guy!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Dirt Merchant
    I feel for ya. I was backing out of my garage Saturday morning when I didn't realize my bike was right behind my other car, and when I cut the wheel, I clipped the bike and rolled over the front tire and totally wasted the wheel and brake rotor. Thank god it was only that, and I didn't roll over the fork, or I would be totally screwed. Hopefully it works out for you, and you can get it warranteed or something.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Members who have read this thread: 0