mtbr member
    Jul 2010

A few thoughts about preparedness

I left from my house this morning at 5AM and rode into CC Park by myself, a ride I usually do at least twice a week. I was having fun, moving along pretty fast on the downhill towards the pavilions got through that and then hit one of the water bars caught a bit of air and went off the trail and then OTB. ouch.... into a bush, rock etc... Banged my face up a little, my helmet took the brunt of the hit. Anyway the point of me sharing this experience is that after talking to my wife and a buddy about this it got me thinking I need to be more prepared in that I need to carry ID with me and also have my bike dialed in (which it wasnít, back brake needs to be bled). I am sure a lot of you are prepared but for us that arenít, well maybe this will get you thinking.

Meatbomb
    Since I typically ride from my house I never carry my wallet. My cell phone does have ICE and my personal info and it is always in my pack.

Kathleen in AZ
    I carry a health insurance card in my Camelbak and a laminated card with emergency contact numbers. Being single, I always wonder how long it would take for someone to notice if I went missing...

mtbr member
    I fell the exact same way on those exact waterbars. (assuming CC means Cave Creek.)
    OTB, scuffed up my face and messed my shoulder up pretty bad. Glad to hear you're ok, though.
    I always have my cell phone on me, plus a whistle if I get hurt somewhere back in the preserve. Always keep some form of ID on you, too, though. I carry my wallet, and my wife makes me wear my RoadID when I'm riding solo.
    "There's nothing like touching earth you've never touched"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    +1 on cell in pack and Road ID.

mtbr member
    cell ph and ID for sure, whether riding solo, group, or at a race. Even though contact info is supposed to be included in race entry or membership, it's much better to have it on the wrist ID, for emergency personnel, medivac, ER, etc.
    Ins details can be worked out later, just need the critical info...drug allergies, blood type, contacts, etc. My .02

Ahhh the pain....
    I carry my drivers license, cell phone (verizon), and run the instamapper app on my droid. My wife can see my exact location from anywhere she can get internet access (and as long as I have cell signal which is pretty good with verizon).

"No Clue Crew"
    Camel pack, ID, health card and THIS:

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I carry DL, Insurance, CC and cell phone with me when riding.

Cell phone may not be of use if a bad crash (something to think about - if it takes part of the hit)

I also wear a road-id when riding (even with a group) as I don't expect everyone to know my wifes cell #

My other ride is your mom
    I've really liked going out bare: me and my bike.....one hour ride, no water, no computer, no id, no tools.....It's amazing what you can climb when you're unencumbered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    On the mountain I always carry:

ID
    Insurance card
    Credit Card
    Tools
    Cell Phone
    Patch kit
    Tubes
    Toilet paper
    Zip ties
    Pump
    Medical Tape
    Extra hardware

Last thing I want is to be stranded for some stupid mechanical error... and the rest is just common sense stuff to have in case your unconscious, except the toilet paper, lets just say that comes with experience...

On the road I carry:
    ID
    Insurance card
    Credit Card
    Tool kit
    Cell Phone
    Patch kit
    Tubes
    Pump and Co2
    Tire pry's
    Last edited by Dukeacyde; 05-10-2011 at 02:49 PM.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I carry a health insurance card in my Camelbak and a laminated card with emergency contact numbers. Being single, I always wonder how long it would take for someone to notice if I went missing...
    I think the dogs would notice in about, oh, 7 seconds after a missed mealtime.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    just have two different sets of risk thresholds,, a lower one for solo, and a higher one when you're riding with others.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I've really liked going out bare: me and my bike.....one hour ride, no water, no computer, no id, no tools.....It's amazing what you can climb when you're unencumbered.
    Excellent! The only thing missing from that list is "no gears".

I'm not that brave. I let my wife know where/when though I have been known to change routes as my mood dictates. If it's a BIG ride, I'll post real time pics along the way on FB so they'll know where to search for my body.

Road ID
    Phone
    $20
    etc.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    I think the dogs would notice in about, oh, 7 seconds after a missed mealtime.
    But who would they tell besides the neighbors and would the neighbors even notice that the dogs were trying to communicate my absence?

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer

Everybody would appreciate it if you at least wore shorts (not that much of an encumbrance), + you would then have a pocket in which to carry your ID and beer $$!

Give it a crank
    Preparedness is a strange concept, it requires you to always carry the things you may only need once. It doesn't always make sense to everyone.

mtbr member
    like first aid...I started carrying bandage/wrap a while back and sure enough one of our AZSF riders crashed and opened up his leg on a sharp rock. We bandaged him up and kept crankin' out sweet st miles on BCT.

Shred...it's the new drug
    after watching 127 hours... a note is always left and a good knife and some ID. I also have my GPS tracking app turned on so me wife knows where I'm at...

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    I use a Camelbak Mule with the following in it:
    Cell Phone
    Photo copy of my drivers liscense
    Park Multiple Tool
    Tube
    Hand Pump
    Two SRAM Power Links
    Travel Pack of Tissue (in case of code brown)

Longer rides I add a couple of Cliff Gels and a PB&J or two.

I will add an copy of my health insurance card and either some cash or a credit card and some "in case of emergency" contact info after reading this thread. Thanks for the tips guys!
    Small First Aid Kit
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by RobZona
    like first aid...I started carrying bandage/wrap a while back and sure enough one of our AZSF riders crashed and opened up his leg on a sharp rock. We bandaged him up and kept crankin' out sweet st miles on BCT.

A week ago, I took a spill at BCT and sliced my shin open pretty good. Thought I had the bleeding stopped until I looked down after riding more and seeing my sock getting soaked. (uggh). Now I carry in my first aid kit some steri-strips for those types of lacerations. An ace bandage is another good idea to help put pressure on an area to stop the bleeding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Camel pack, ID, health card and THIS:

Although some may think this is a joke.....when you're out in the middle of nowhere and need it. It ain't funny! Considering the valley doesn't have many leaves...the only thing left are rocks and branches. You do the math......

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Although some may think this is a joke.....when you're out in the middle of nowhere and need it. It ain't funny! Considering the valley doesn't have many leaves...the only thing left are rocks and branches. You do the math......
    Rocks actually do the job quite nicely

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Socks! I've lost many socks over the years.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Big B's Trails
    Wow... Guess I'm way under prepared... I only have the cel,TP, tubes, tool, co2s, and occasional powerbar/gu...
    I dig dirt!

Give it a crank
    The math shows you can make a good profit if you lend a few sheets of your roll to your buddies. It's called "mountain money" for a reason.

Others even try to make a statement:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0