fatality on MMP Comp Track- Mtbr.com
    Eleven - it's one louder

fatality on MMP Comp Track

Got back a few hours ago from riding the Competition Track at McDowell Mt. Park. We were on the Long Loop, at the bottom of the hill just before The Step, at about 1:30p when a Sherriff stopped us and asked us to walk around thru the wash. There was a dead body in the middle of the trail covered with a blanket and a bike with the front wheel off on the side of the trail. Another rider told us he broke his neck but I am not sure. It was very sobering. My heart goes out to this poor guy and his family and friends. Just goes to show you how fragile life is and that your number can come up at any time. I am not sure I want to ride again for a while. I hope it is some consolation to his friends and family that he was doing something he loved.
    Today's solid oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground. -Anonymous

dirt visionary
    very sad to hear
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    very sad to hear
    +1...terrible, terrible, terrible...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sorry to hear, very terrible. My condolences go out to his family.

mtbr member
    Yeah very sad indeed, and my thoughts go to him and family.

But I ask why you would not want to ride again for a while? Do what you love, and just check your equipment before you ride to make sure its mechanically sound, besides riding within your limits, if its your time, you will go no matter what you're doing. Its like saying its dangerous to drive, so I'm not doing it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBadConrad View Post
    Got back a few hours ago from riding the Competition Track at McDowell Mt. Park. We were on the Long Loop, at the bottom of the hill just before The Step, at about 1:30p when a Sherriff stopped us and asked us to walk around thru the wash. There was a dead body in the middle of the trail covered with a blanket and a bike with the front wheel off on the side of the trail. Another rider told us he broke his neck but I am not sure. It was very sobering. My heart goes out to this poor guy and his family and friends. Just goes to show you how fragile life is and that your number can come up at any time. I am not sure I want to ride again for a while. I hope it is some consolation to his friends and family that he was doing something he loved.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

Need more cowbell
    Tire came off the rim on the downhill....head trauma. One of my teammates was giving him CPR to no avail.

Heart goes out to his family....bad day for our cycling community.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    That is indeed very sad Condolences to the family.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    God that is terrible.

Thoughts for his friends and family.

mtbr member
    Boy, I hate hearing things like this!.....My thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

Just out of curiosity, do you know if he was wearing a helmet of any sorts?.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Heavy heart when we lose one of our own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Been scouring the internet looking for a news article with some more details... nothing yet.

mtbr member
    I was out there as well. The gate lady advised me not to go on the long loop. Tons of emergency vehicles. Rode pemberton and they were still there afterwards. Figured it couldn't be good.
    Sad to hear . Rest in peace.

mtbr member
    Wow that sucks. Thoughts go out to the family

mtbr member
    Done that ride plenty! Could of been any one of us I imagine. Hope it was quick and he did not suffer.

Pivotal figure
    Damn....Nothing more to say here
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Oh my, that's terrible.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

"No Clue Crew"
    Damn, I hate hearing this. No one should go out to enjoy a beautiful day like today and not return home to your loved ones.
    !
    Quote Originally Posted by 28/29 WIT View Post
    Could of been any one of us I imagine. .
    How many of us will work on our neck strength and flexibility after reading this? I was at the gym, just today working my neck and traps. We all have built in armor, most just don't keep it ready for battle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Very sad. Sorry to the family.

mtbr member
    Wow....condolences to the family.

Crazy enough, when I rode in the MBAA race at McDowell a few weeks ago, I felt like my ride was really rough and couldn't figure out what it was. Every bump I hit seemed to radiate painfully up into my arms. I finally pulled over, just as I was summiting out of Pemberton Wash. Turns out, my front tire had come unscrewed was and about ready to pop off. I'm still not sure how the wheel stayed on during the first part of the race or what caused it to come loose in the first place....must have been a rock that bounced up and hit it just right.

"No Clue Crew"
    W.O.D.- was he part of your group, with another group or alone? Just wondering.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Oh man, I guess saying condolences to the family and friends is the right thing to say. So sorry to hear. I guess we just never know and we should try and make the most of every day.

Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    Yeah very sad indeed, and my thoughts go to him and family.

But I ask why you would not want to ride again for a while? Do what you love, and just check your equipment before you ride to make sure its mechanically sound, besides riding within your limits, if its your time, you will go no matter what you're doing. Its like saying its dangerous to drive, so I'm not doing it anymore.
    Well said.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post
    Boy, I hate hearing things like this!.....My thoughts and prayers go out to his family!

Just out of curiosity, do you know if he was wearing a helmet of any sorts?.....
    Yes, he was wearing a helmet. Judging by the bike and equipment he appeared to be an experienced rider.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    Yes, he was wearing a helmet. Judging by the bike and equipment he appeared to be an experienced rider.
    First of all, why is there nothing online about this? I can't find a word...

This frightens me...I mean, I've flown down that small hill a hundred times, as have many of you, thinking about the following quick climb and The Step...that's one of many "nothing" hills that is not technical or challenging, per se, that we all hit at speed in the midst of a race, training ride, personal TT, etc...

And that could be any hill, on any ride, where we're going a lot faster...think The B*tches at OP, McDowell's (Quad, etc), DC, T100, etc...and not even on the big chunky stuff, like GC, Natty, etc.

Then...BAM!!

What causes the tire coming off the rim? How do you "prevent" that...or at least, reduce the chances of it happening? I don't know enough about the specifics that cause that to happen.

"There but for the grace of God go I..."
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rack Man View Post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post

What causes the tire coming off the rim? How do you "prevent" that...or at least, reduce the chances of it happening? I don't know enough about the specifics that cause that to happen.

The detective onsite said it would take some time to complete the investigation and notify family, probably won't find anything in the news until that is complete.

A tubeless tire on a tubeless rim most likely would not come off like that.

A very disturbing scene that will be etched in my mind and heart for a long time. I only wish there was something more we could have done to save this mans life. My heart goes out to his family.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Of course I want to give my condolences and say a prayer for the guy. I would also like to echo what someone else said, if anything to remind myself. CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT EVERY RIDE!!! I am guilty of just putting air in my tires and shocks and hitting the trail, thinking it will just be a short ride. When I took a Desert Survival course the instructor said that every emergency starts with "I'm just..."

Riding is fun, but it's fun because it's gets the adrenaline going and is a little dangerous. Gotta remember that and take proper precautions. I'm rethinking my ghetto tubeless 650b setup as I type this.

aka Diesel
    Alan, in addition to the guy who died, my heart extends to you and anyone else who came upon this truly tragic scene. If it is haunting me just to have read about this, I cannot imagine what you are going through.

It breaks my heart, to think of anyone dying doing what they love. I know when I ride, often I am out there to escape the things that bring me down in life. It's my "Happy Zone"... my adult Disneyland, where I go to feel free and ALIVE, and restored... not... that result. I'm sure this has made many of us re-think the way we ride, and the way we take for granted that only rider error can result in consequence.

I wanted to put something out there, which I was told sometime last year when picking up my bike after getting my new tires put on my tubeless set-up. The owner of the shop, warned me to be very careful the first ride, and to listen and check the tires often. He said a customer of his had been on the McDowell loops and the tire came right off the rim because she wasn't aware she was losing air. If I recall correctly, she broke her hip.

mtbr member
    I was thinking the only way the tire would come off the rim is with Stans or Ghetto tubeless setup. The original poster stated that the wheel was off the bike on the side of the trail so maybe the wheel popped off . Loose skewer ?

The so called easy trails can be dangerous just by how much speed you can carry. 6 years ago I was out on the long loop flying down one of the downs and didn't notice a rut at the bottom that was caused by the rains. I hit it hard going close to 30 mph and flew like superman into some rocks. It was hospital time for me , broken helmet and all. Last year some guy was killed on Pemberton with a head injury, another easy trail and the guy was not a newby if I remember correctly.

None of this makes me stop riding but it does give me pause long enough to realize my family is counting on me and need me to return from my ride in one piece.

I hate hearing stories like this. His family must be devastated. My thoughts are with them and anyone who happened on to the scene.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Jeesh...this gives me a lump in my throat. I guess it just shows how fragile life can be.

My condolences to this guy's family. What a tragedy! At least he died in the act of doing something he loved instead vs. getting killed in a car crash while driving there...

Thx...Doug

mtbr member

So Sad

Wow, this is incredible. So Sad.

I have riden those trails hundreds of times and never think about crashing, much less about dying out there. Terrible news.

EDR
    This is hard to read. I can't imagine such sudden loss of a loved one.

Like others have said. Check your equipment. It's not conclusive to avoiding injury or death but it's the least we can do and we owe it to our loved ones. Just last Friday after arriving home from a ride I found a hairline crack in a weld in my bike. I NEVER check my bike for cracks but I did that day simply because I never seem to check. What if it had failed during a drop or rocky section?... as we can see...anything can happen.

Condolences go out to his family and friends.

My other ride is your mom
    Very sad to see this has happened again...but it's just a lightning bolt from the blue....don't overthink it...this just happens. Ride your bike until you feel like puking, your legs are tingly and you can't catch your breath. The pain and discomfort you feel is your reward for being alive.....be thankful for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Heart felt condolences to the family and friends and those on the seen.

It's making me rethink events from my riding...

Twice I have had front wheel/tire related failures that pitched me to the ground. I was fortunate each time and landed relatively harmlessly. One was at hawes where my tire 'peeled of the rim' as I tried to ride one of the switch backs. Analysis of that event is that I had cut the tire earlier and it was losing air. The worst one was on PMP. I was rolling over a section with lose rocks (no brainer section) when all of sudden I'm body surfing down the trail. Apparently a rock flipped up exactly wrong and simultaneously sheered three right side spokes, at mid span, adjacent to one another which was enough to pull the tire into the fork. What's the point. Neither situation was predictable. The wheels referred to in the second event were brand new. I could run heavier tires (which I am) and maybe heavier spokes would have changed it (although I doubt it) but in the bottom line is every time we come off the bike for what ever reason the landing is a risk and the result is chance.

Like all risk the best anyone can do is reduce it. To do that requires 'attention to detail'. Good habits, and asking ourselves 'what if?'.

I'm generally pretty anal about everything, to the point that I occasionally catch a little grief from family and friends (always the kill joy you know). I honestly believe I was preprogrammed to be that way (probably why I ended up working in engineering). We don't know what caused this accident, he could have sliced a the tire open on a sharp rock, his skewer may have failed, who knows but one thing is for sure, I would like to know so that if the cause is not already in my mental list of things that could go wrong I can add it.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post

I wanted to put something out there, which I was told sometime last year when picking up my bike after getting my new tires put on my tubeless set-up. The owner of the shop, warned me to be very careful the first ride, and to listen and check the tires often. He said a customer of his had been on the McDowell loops and the tire came right off the rim because she wasn't aware she was losing air. If I recall correctly, she broke her hip.
    so very sad. well-wishes to the friends and family.

like others, I would like to know what caused it, to learn from the unfortunate accident. I had a skewer loosen up one time and my wheel came halfway off on the Tower Loop at Hawes, led to a nasty smack on the ground that had me seeing stars for 30 minutes. Just carelessness on my part, but Ive not made that mistake again. With no disrespect to the Officers, I hope they know enough about bikes to review the cause, or ask a mechanic for help

CK - good advice. I do my own tubeless setups, so have learned to let them sit overnight and usually take em for a quick spin before a hard ride. But that is an easy mistake to make if you are new to tubeless and not aware of their peculiarities. Generally a good idea after any work on your bike to recheck it after a bit - bolts, spoke tension etc etc.

be safe, everyone.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    I had a skewer loosen up one time and my wheel came halfway off on the Tower Loop at Hawes, led to a nasty smack on the ground that had me seeing stars for 30 minutes. Just carelessness on my part, but Ive not made that mistake again.
    It just sucks that so many things in life are just a crap shoot.

We could just as easily be reading a post from someone we may or may not know about the "lesson" he learned about double checking his gear before he rides. But he rolled snake eyes and here we are.

Sucks. Bad.

It won't make me change the way I ride because while my balls can sometimes outgrow my brains I think I don't do things that are overly dangerous (as though any trail could be labeled "safe"). But, it will entice me to check my gear more often.

For a while anyways...

mtbr member

This frightens me...I mean, I've flown down that small hill a hundred times, as have many of you, thinking about the following quick climb and The Step...that's one of many "nothing" hills that is not technical or challenging, per se, that we all hit at speed in the midst of a race, training ride, personal TT, etc...

And that could be any hill, on any ride, where we're going a lot faster...think The B*tches at OP, McDowell's (Quad, etc), DC, T100, etc...and not even on the big chunky stuff, like GC, Natty, etc.

Then...BAM!!

Too low of pressure in the tires can cause it and maybe, and I mean maybe, too much pressure also. Maybe others can shed more light on that question.
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What sad news, my condolences to the family.

I've ridden that trail at night in a thunderstorm with bad lighting and by the Grace of God made it back without a crash.
    I'm sure on my future rides i'll have this on my mind and maybe i'll be more careful, not for myself but for the ones waiting at home for me to return.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A very disturbing scene that will be etched in my mind and heart for a long time. I only wish there was something more we could have done to save this mans life. My heart goes out to his family.
    Big props to you and your group for jumping in there and attempting to save that man's life. What a horrible tragedy! I too read this thread with a heavy heart. My condolences go out to his family. This sport seems too dangerous.

My tale of an equipment problem in the hopes that it helps someone else:

Last week, and the day after riding the BCT Little Pan loop, I clipped into my XT pedals at the start of another ride, and after a few pedal strokes I tried to unclip my left foot, and the whole pedal body came off on my shoe. The pedal body had come unscrewed from the spindle (v. the spindle coming unscrewed from the crank). I didn't think that was possible--I thought pedaling tightened everything. I checked the other pedal, and the nut that holds the pedal body onto the spindle was loose. The day before, I had checked every bolt on my bike with a torque wrench. I never thought to check the nut that holds the pedal body to the spindle. I shuddered to think what would have happened if I had stood on my pedal with some exposure to my left on the Little Pan loop and the pedal had slipped off.

Godspeed fellow cyclist. We are mourning your untimely passing.

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1243 View Post
    What sad news, my condolences to the family.

I've ridden that trail at night in a thunderstorm with bad lighting and by the Grace of God made it back without a crash.
    I'm sure on my future rides i'll have this on my mind and maybe i'll be more careful, not for myself but for the ones waiting at home for me to return.
    Yeah I was just thinking exactly that same thing. There was a thunderstorm during one of the night rides last summer. I remember just hammering the long loop trying to get past the south ridge before the storm closed in on me. Was so worried about lightning that I never thought about crashing. I have such heavy heart thinking about that poor rider. As bikeman and Walt have said, "...there but by the Grace of God..." Likewise, condolences to his family.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I was there when attempts were made to resuscitate. Very sad indeed.

For those of you questioning whether you should continue riding: the medic's conclusion was cardiac arrest. In all likeliness, the gentlemen (may he rest in peace) had a heart attack, slumped and fell off of the bike (and taking the tire off of the bead). It's not my place to speculate, but that is how I understood it.

The section he was at was not challenging or complicated, nor did it look like there was ever any skidding in the area surrounding him.

Condolences to his family and friends. Take care out there.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Very sad to see this has happened again...but it's just a lightning bolt from the blue....don't overthink it...this just happens. Ride your bike until you feel like puking, your legs are tingly and you can't catch your breath. The pain and discomfort you feel is your reward for being alive.....be thankful for that.
    Where's the like button.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Condolences to his family, hope we can find out what happened so we can raise awareness without speculation.

Carnivore
    This is a really shocking story. My condolences to friends and family and great respect for those who tried to save his life. I bet we will find somebody on mtbr that knew him. I wonder if he was riding alone?

I think of mtb riding as moderately dangerous in terms of injury but I don't think much about being killed from an accident while trail riding. I had one friend who died riding Schultz Cr. Tr. in Flag. In that case, possibly similar to this one, they suspected that he had an aortic aneurysm first that caused the crash but it could have been an impact to his chest that caused the aneurysm. There was a story a few years ago about a little league pitcher being hit in the chest by a line drive causing his heart to stop.

I started rock climbing over 35 years ago and have accumulated a lot of dead friends. Some of them were really pushing the envelope and some were doing everything right but things went bad. Climbing used to have an oral tradition/history/lore of the many accidents that have claimed lives or nearly so. The stories of the incidents passed from campfire to campfire and helped the rest of us avoid similar situations. Now that the climbing community has exploded in size and diversity some of that has been lost but it has been in part replaced by conversations like this one on rock climbing forums. Climbers tend to intensely analyze accident scenarios more than any other group I've been part of. In some cases people will actually try to recreate the failure. Of course rock climbing is one of the few sports where every day you go out you could be killed and are literally putting your life in the hands of your partner.

Because of this climbing background I have a pretty good sense of my own mortality and have even been VERY close to death on a couple of occasions myself. That being said, I'm not going to live my life scared. I try to honestly evaluate my skills, educate myself, and not get in over my head.

Putting oneself up against a challenge that could be dangerous helps to keep life and all the associated background noise in perspective. There is a better chance of being killed while driving to the trail than actually riding it. Broken wrists and collarbones are another story and come with the price of admission. The key is simply what Clint Eastwood said, " A man's got to know his limitations." I'm not too proud to get off and scout and/or walk a technical section and I frequently go slower than I could on descents to stay off the ragged edge. Strange unexpected things can always go wrong and come up to bite you so it is good to leave a little margin for error or escape. Just simply checking tire pressure and tightening up skewers etc. can go a long way in preventing a disaster. About 25 years ago I had a front wheel come off and the result was ugly. In that case I suspect that some drunken smart a$$ had opened it up while my bike was parked in front of a bar.

If the tragedy at McDowell was in fact due to a mechanical problem/failure it is important that the details are known to help prevent the rest of us from a similar fate.

R.I.P. to our fellow two wheeler.

mtbr member
    RIP to a fellow Mountain Biker. Condolences to his family and friends.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    thanks Maad. what you say is so true.

Just this past week I had a freak biking accident, falling sideways from zero mph due to a foot stuck in the Times. While waiting for care in the ER, I said to my friends that at least the searing pain was a reminder that I was very much alive. My family has been freaked ever since I took up DHing, yet I did the most damage on a simple XC ride by simply falling over. I am lucky in that I will heal. My heart goes out to our fellow rider with luck which was not so good.

Are you talkin to me?
    So sad! Sorry to hear this.
    A weekend WASTED is not always a wasted weekend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I knew the helicopter in the middle of the trail was no good and, as we were waved around , we came upon a scene none of us in the mountain bike clan want to witness. We all stood in silence at the bottom of the downhill looking at each other with helpless despair. Any one of us could have been lying there is his place and we knew it. As we all share a deep love for this sport , we also share the risks. We decided to finish the Long Loop. Although we did not know him, we would like to think his spirit was with us to the finish. Our condolences to his family and friends. J

In the end, just speaking for myself, i've always told my wife I'm more afraid of not living than dying.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    This is certainly sobering. My wife and I know the man who died and his family. They are in shock. In answer to some of your questions, he was a very experienced rider who took up mountain biking to stay in shape but also to spend time with his sons. In fact, when he did not return from his ride, his two boys went out to look for him on their bikes and found the sheriff's deputy watching over their dad. Absolutely gut-wrenching. He was a good man who left behind a wife, sons, daughters, multiple grandchildren, and innumerable friends. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Dirt Merchant
    Wow! We all know the spot too, and we're probably taking our mind off the drop, while prepping to hit The Step. Makes you realize (even if it was cardiac arrest, and not actually bike related) that you can't take your ride for granted, and to always be on your toes.

Sad stuff....and still no mention anywhere that I can find.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

I love bike!
    Thoughts and prayers go out to this gentleman's family, friends, and those who witnessed this tragedy. God Bless!

mtbr member
    Thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I'm so sorry to hear this. Also, like others have said, please check your equipment before and after every ride. Once you become complacent that's when it will bite you the hardest.

Tails

mtbr member
    With boots on. Ride on, ride on, wherever you are now.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Over the Hill
    Very sad. Also very curious why the wheel was off the fork along the side of the trail.

Dean

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstepper View Post
    Very sad. Also very curious why the wheel was off the fork along the side of the trail.

Dean
    Me too. I wouldn't think that even a hard crash would cause the whole wheel to come off. Although I know stranger things have happened on MTB.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The wheel was still on the fork, it was the tire that was off the wheel...

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    Wow....condolences to the family.

Crazy enough, when I rode in the MBAA race at McDowell a few weeks ago, I felt like my ride was really rough and couldn't figure out what it was. Every bump I hit seemed to radiate painfully up into my arms. I finally pulled over, just as I was summiting out of Pemberton Wash. Turns out, my front tire had come unscrewed was and about ready to pop off. I'm still not sure how the wheel stayed on during the first part of the race or what caused it to come loose in the first place....must have been a rock that bounced up and hit it just right.
    I am very sad to read about this incident, what a tragedy.

@Gazelem, not that it's the reason why I ride rigid, but this sort of thing is so much more easily noticed on a rigid bike than with suspension.

I'm also feeling even better than I already did about going only with UST and tires designed for tubeless riding.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Speed996
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceja View Post
    The wheel was still on the fork, it was the tire that was off the wheel...
    I came up on the scene as well on Saturday. Awful. I was in a daze all day picturing the poor guy covered up with the one shoe sticking out all day. I have lost friends in kayaking accidents but never mtn biking, never expect it.

though the final was cardiac arrest, I think it was one of those that was triggered by the event. The tire was off the wheel and wrapped up in the fork, they do suspect the tire coming off the bead & getting tangled up that caused the crash, and I can only assume that the impact triggered the heart problem.

My prayers go out to all his loved one's

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the information RNC and others.

We all know the spot too, and we're probably taking our mind off the drop, while prepping to hit The Step.
    I've ridden the Long Loop at least 5 times in the last month, and I can't think of where that is. Are there any google pictures?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i came across this forum as it was sent to me by wife's brother in law. This man was my uncle. i want to thank those who were there to render aid and i know his family would be just as grateful. as previously mentioned by someone who knew him and his family, he was a great man who had a tremendous impact on numerous people. this tragedy will take some time for many of us to overcome. thank you again for all the condolences from those who have posted.

mtbr member
    That's just rough all over.
    I feel for his family.

The only way I can look at this with a glimmer of hope though is "at least he went out doing something he loved." I tend to think of that anytime I hear of anyone passing like this.

I think I need to Upgrade
    My condolences to the fallen riders family, friends as well as those he left behind.

I hope that everyone can find some comfort that he passed doing something that he probably loved to do.

A phrase that myself and many of my friends live by is "Ride Hard, Die Free" this man did both...

Hard90 I don't mean to pry but if you wouldn't mind may we know the name of your Uncle?

Computer Geek
    Jan 2012
    Man, this was a terrible tragedy, but it's a learning experience for me. Just the other day, I was out riding with my brother on his new ride, and as we came up a hill toward the end, we realized his QR was completely disengaged. I'll make sure to check everytime we head out from now on.

Human
    My condolences to his family for their loss. Rest in peace Sir. I'm knocked back on my heels about this.

I am Walt

Wow...

Turns out I knew him...worked with him for about 3 years, until he left about 1 1/2 years ago. Worked pretty closely with him at times, too. Never rode with him, but we used to talk about mountain biking...he was interested in the big long rides and races I did, and used to ask me about them. We always talked about "getting out to ride"...

Found out at the office yesterday...one of his close friends knows I mountain bike, and asked me if I heard about *name withheld*. I couldn't believe it...I was stunned.

The guy at work yesterday didn't know anything...this forum has the most info out there thus far.

I understand the service to be on Saturday, but don't know any more details.
    Ride more; post less...

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just spoke to his son and he said it would be fine to post information about his father and his funeral.

The man who died is Ron Cadiente. You might know his son, Brett Cadiente, from the MBAA races and, like his dad, is an all around good guy. The family is still finalizing funeral details and I will post those when they are available.

Brett has been aware of the level of interest and compassion from members on this forum. I am sure that it gives some level of comfort to his family to know that there were not only people who did everything they could to save their husband and dad, but that there are so many others who are keeping them in their thoughts and prayers.

It's a slugfest!
    Mourning for a fallen brother. Literally.

Thoughts and prayers are with family and friends.

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

Over the Hill
    Sorry about the family's loss. Wonder if a ghetto tubeless setup was to blame?

Dirt Merchant
    The guy at work yesterday didn't know anything...this forum has the most info out there thus far
    Not to pile on... But everytime a hiker gets a splinter on Camelback Mtn it makes the news, why is there no info out there about this other than us here on this forum. Kind of upsetting that the local media cares more about "injuries" due to stupidity on Camelback.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

A plethora of pinatas
    My thoughts go out to a fallen brother and his family & friends. It sounds like he was a wonderful man that touched many lives.

Hats off to the 1st responder, park staff, rescue workers and all involved in the attempt to render assistance and save his life.

RNC, thanks for the update. Please let us know the details on the services and if there is any support that the MTB community can offer.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace View Post
    Not to pile on... But everytime a hiker gets a splinter on Camelback Mtn it makes the news, why is there no info out there about this other than us here on this forum. Kind of upsetting that the local media cares more about "injuries" due to stupidity on Camelback.
    Because we assume the risk of our hobby. The idiots on Camelbak think the outdoors is no different than their freaking shopping malls so they make a big deal out of it when something surprisingly goes wrong.

meow
    This is very, very sad, my heart goes out to his family. This is another affirmation to live every day to it's fullest and appreciate every minute you're moving and breathing. Tell your loved ones you love them and never leave room for regrets.

pedaller
    My heart goes out to Ron and his family and also to AlanS and the others that attempted to help at the scene. That has to stay with you for awhile.

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Funeral Information

FYI

This information is on the mortuary's website. The website is Bunker Family Funerals & Cremation – Cremation - Service – Mesa – Arizona

Here is the information they have on Ron:

Name: Ronald Roy Cadiente

Date: April 15th, 1950 - February 11th, 2012

Obituary:
    Cadiente, Ronald, 61, died in a mountain bike accident February 11, 2012. He is survived by his wife Pamela, children Garron (Sharon) Cadiente, Brett Cadiente, Maren (Jimmy) Bloomer, Brooke Cadiente, Paige (Sterling) Stahle, 13 grandchildren and brothers Herb Davis, Carlos Cadiente and Rick Cadiente. A kind and loving husband, father and grandfather he was devoted to his family whom he loved unconditionally and enjoyed being involved their lives. He was passionate about the work he did as a software salesman and valued the relationships he made. He was honest, hardworking, sincere, and compassionate. Ron was a baseball coach, avid hiker, mountain biker, University of Arizona graduate and family man who was as generous in his relationships as he was genuine. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he served a mission in southern California and served in a variety of church leadership positions, including Bishop, all of which he loved. He was an influence for good in every aspect of his life. He is missed and loved by many, especially his family. Viewing is February 16th from 6-8 PM at Bunker’s Garden Chapel, 33 North Centennial Way, Mesa AZ 85201. Funeral is February 17th, 11 AM with viewing one hour prior at the LDS Church, 1430 N Grand Street, Mesa AZ 85201.

Visitations:
    6:00PM to 8:00PM on Thursday, February 16th, 2012 at Bunker's Garden Chapel
    10:00AM to 10:45AM on Friday, February 17th, 2012 at LDS Lehi Stake Center

Services:
    11:00AM at LDS Lehi Stake Center on Friday, February 17th, 2012

Maps and driving directions are on their website.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    In response to Marty's question, if there is anybody that would like to put together a simple expression of support for the family (whether in the form of a card, flowers, etc.), I would be happy to coordinate it. My wife is a florist and we could certainly take the lead in doing something like that. One idea would be to do it next week, after the funeral, just to let the family know that Ron isn't forgotten just because the funeral is over. Just PM me with any suggestions and we can go from there. Thanks. Nat

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Some great comments on here. I've been a member on here for a while but could not remember my password and the password reset email never came last night. I wanted to post on this yesterday. My father and I are very experienced riders. I was not with him that day but wish I was. I have not been able to retrieve his bike yet but from what I understand his front tire came off and wrapped itself around the hub of the wheel as he was picking up speed on the short downhill segment before you reach the step. We think he went over the handlebars and hit his head very badly on a rock nearby. He was wearing his helmet but the top of it was crushed and broken in a few different places. He was immediately knocked unconscious, was in no pain, and passed along shortly thereafter. He had 29” wheels which nobody makes a true tubeless system for and if you flat the tire or if the bead comes off, the tire can quickly come off as well if the tire is not very snug. I’m not sure anything really malfunctioned, he simply had a tragic accident but I can say that if you have a tubeless set up like that and it takes you a bit to get the tire to seat properly, you have the wrong tire. So just be careful with that in the future and make sure you have a snug tire.

I went out looking for my father around 4 PM and when I arrived I saw the Sheriff's vehicles. I knew something was wrong. They typically will not notify you onsite like that but they could see that I was searching for someone and did me the courtesy of notifying me.

I’m going to do my best to see if the park will allow me to improve that section of the trail and to put up a memorial for him. Something positive as I’ve seen a few posts on here mention that people were a little edgy about riding. I will continue to ride but as I come around that corner I will be reminded about something quite a bit more positive than his crash.

In my father’s last few days he spent friday at his favorite restaurant with my mother and saturday morning he was able to attend the LDS temple since we are Mormon. Thursday he mowed the lawn so he could have time to ride on saturday and in the days prior he was setting new goals due to an improved job change. He was able to spend his last moments doing all the right things.

I appreciate all your comments and thanks to those who were there to help. It’s great to see people bringing awareness to this.

I believe one of my friends has already posted info about my father's funeral. All are welcome to come.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow. brettdc, you have an amazing outlook. Thank you for sharing and prayers going out for you and yours tonight.

aka Diesel
    Brett, "God be with you 'til you meet again." Your father sounds like he was a good and faithful member, father, and husband. I am so glad he was able to attend the temple one last time, and hope your family is taking great comfort in your faith and belief in your religion at this time, with the understanding of the afterlife. Thank you so much for sharing your warning with us, and who knows if his passing will prevent tragedies for others in the future. Your family is in my prayers.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Very sad and sobering...

Hope he went quickly and rests in peace. As well, that his family knows he was doing what he loved.

Peace to the family and friends,

deepest sympathy to you Brettdc
    Last edited by awesomepaw; 02-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.
    That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Meatbomb
    Keep the good spirits and remember the happy times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    Brett, "God be with you 'til you meet again." Your father sounds like he was a good and faithful member, father, and husband. I am so glad he was able to attend the temple one last time, and hope your family is taking great comfort in your faith and belief in your religion at this time, with the understanding of the afterlife. Thank you so much for sharing your warning with us, and who knows if his passing will prevent tragedies for others in the future. Your family is in my prayers.

Well said, dude.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    May 2008
    brettdc,

I am so sorry about what happened to your Dad. I haven't been able to ride since I read about his accident. I just feel sick. Thanks for taking the time to post under such tragic circumstances. It means a lot hear the details, and to try and learn from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

My dad

I'm Ron's daughter and came across forum while trying to find information in the papers about my father. I echo the sentiments of my brother Brett. I've been riding with my dad many, many times on that trail and he was very cautious but also a very good rider. We got word yesterday that he died from his injuries and not a heart attack.

I want to personally thank all those who stopped and assisted my father. It took a great deal of courage to do that and I am grateful for it. It has been somewhat a comfort to know of all the efforts that were made to revive him and that he was not left alone for what could have been hours till someone found him.

I want to also thank all of those in this forum who have expressed support for my family. It has not gone unnoticed. My dad was a fantastic father. We would be honored to have you attend our father's funeral.

With much gratitude,

Brooke

Viva la Vida!
    May God rest his soul in peace and give strength to family members to bear this.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Man, oh man. So sorry for this family's loss. Much respect to the riders out there who tried to do the right thing. Godspeed.

mtbr member
    Wow crazy stuff. Brett, unfortunately do no not know you or your father, but hope we passed on the trail at some point. My condolences to you and your family. Great job for posting and quelling all the comments about what happened.

I was out on the mountain early yesterday morning for the first time since I heard the news, and did think about your father a few times and took the time to slow down on a few downhills.

Also when riding the long loop, the down before the step should be ridden solemnly and we should all give a quick shout out to your father!

Brit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Wow…Brett & Brooke such composure and eloquence in your post..my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family

It's a slugfest!
    Brooke, thanks for posting. As a father who also spent many Saturday afternoon's with his daughters out on the trails, your outlook means a lot to me. It sounds like mountainbiking is big part of your family's life, and I hope that continues to be so. My daughters and I share defining moments from our rides. Moments that have helped our relationships become what they are today. I'm sure you have similar thoughts.

It was comforting to hear that your dad and mom spent time together at their favorite restaurant, and that your dad was able to attend a session during his last couple of days. I hope my last days on this earth are equally as positive. It makes us all stop and think about what type of conversations we have, and how our last words might impact a surviving family member or friend.

I don't think I ever met your father, but somehow, I get this feeling that his funeral service will be a celebration of his life. As Brit stated, I will always give Ron a shout out when I ride that section of the long loop.

Props to my fellow AZboard members for keeping this thread positive.

Well wishes,

-Steve
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by sullymj View Post
    Wow…Brett & Brooke such composure and eloquence in your post..my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family
    +1...your father would be quite proud...as should he be, for the job he did raising his kids...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug View Post
    I will always give Ron a shout out when I ride that section of the long loop.
    Agreed...I will always reflect on this when I ride that section...how can you not?

That said, the Comp Tracks have wooden signs marking various spots/sections of trail...what about a simple marker, in the same style, marking that spot, as a rememberance to a fellow, fallen, mountain biker...? Something like, "Ron's Wash", or whatever... I defer to the family, but I'd support that, and would contribute for it.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    What about a marker on his favorite part of the trail?
    Why does everything seem uphill?

Dirt Merchant
    Positive thoughts your way Brett! I can only hope I'll be out there shredding when I'm 61. Sounds like he had a good life, and you can always remember those good times! Agree with the others, a shout out will be made when I cruise through that area.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Big B's Trails
    wow...choked up.....think I'll go hug my wife and kids
    I dig dirt!

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Memorial Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    What about a marker on his favorite part of the trail?
    Great idea. Along that same train of thought, Marty (Coplea) had the wonderful idea of putting together a memorial ride for Ron in the next few weeks. The goals of the ride would be to spend some time remembering and celebrating Ron's life (for those who knew him) and remembering and celebrating what Ron's life represents to those who did not know him but are touched by his story.

Another possible goal would be to use it as a tool to gather funds to put up a permanent memorial to Ron and to help out his family. I have contacted the park and they have two options for permanent memorial markers. The one that I think makes the most sense would be a park bench that would be installed at an appropriate place near where Ron's accident occurred. There are approvals and paperwork that have to be taken care of, but it is certainly something that we are looking at.

We are trying to work out the details and dates and we will keep you all in the loop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNC View Post
    Marty (Coplea) had the wonderful idea of putting together a memorial ride for Ron in the next few weeks. The goals of the ride would be to spend some time remembering and celebrating Ron's life (for those who knew him) and remembering and celebrating what Ron's life represents to those who did not know him but are touched by his story.

Another possible goal would be to use it as a tool to gather funds to put up a permanent memorial to Ron and to help out his family.

We are trying to work out the details and dates and we will keep you all in the loop.
    In addition to the ride and memorial, I would be interested in some wilderness rescue training or basic first responder training. Perhaps we could arrange for the training after the ride and memorial dedication. I am certain that if we put these three together and schedule at a time when the family could be present, there would be a large turnout.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    the Comp Tracks have wooden signs marking various spots/sections of trail...what about a simple marker, in the same style, marking that spot, as a rememberance to a fellow, fallen, mountain biker...? Something like, "Ron's Wash", or whatever... I defer to the family, but I'd support that, and would contribute for it.
    That is a great idea and I will see what the park has to say about that option.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_AlanS View Post
    In addition to the ride and memorial, I would be interested in some wilderness rescue training or basic first responder training. Perhaps we could arrange for the training after the ride and memorial dedication. I am certain that if we put these three together and schedule at a time when the family could be present, there would be a large turnout.
    Another great idea. Is there anybody reading this that could provide that training, or knows somebody who could?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    A good friend of mine is a park ranger at MMP, so I'd be willing to see if she can provide any help.

Otherwise, if people are gathering funds to send a flower arrangement to the family (mentioned on previous page) or want to set anything else up, let me know what the PayPal address is and I'll contribute.

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    So sad for the loss... terrible tragedy. At least he was doing something he enjoyed.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was probably on the trail when this sad event took place. As we left we saw emergency vehicles on the road to F. H's. I knew a biker was down ... I thought someone was hit road riding to Rio Verdi. He sounds like someone we could all learn something from.... I'll be sure to xheck the

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The tire beads on my 29'er. Thanks to all who sent such thoughtful messages.. How about a bench on the trail with a dedication...or renaming a section of trail in his honor. He's part of out mtb community and it is obvious he'll be missed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Wow, what a sad situation for all involved. I would love to participate in a memorial ride to benefit the family and/or trail markers for Ron.

mtbr member
    This has been on my mind since this tragic event. I love some of the ideas you all have about a memorial and a ride. If you need donations for a bench please post the info here. I was thinking about instead of flowers could we plant a tree in Ron's honor or better yet have someone weld a sculpture of a tree with old bike parts and install near the accident. Every time we ride by we could think about Ron and how we should all live our lives as we pass Ron's tree.

Registered Bike Offender
    I rode thru just 2hrs before this happened. My condolences to the family, and a big pat on the back to the guys who stepped up and tried to help. I too know what its like to unexpectedly lose your father as mine died of a heart attack while I was on my honeymoon. I will keep you all in my prayers.

A trail marker or bench is a really good idea. Red Cross or American Heart Assoc can provide CPR classes to groups, but of course this costs $$. If there is a memorial ride i would like to come. I didnt know him but would just like to show some support for a fellow rider.

mtbr member
    These are great ideas. Thank you for updating us Brooke and Brett, it's wonderful that you have many great experiences to look back on.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Memorial Ride-March 24

We are in the process of finalizing details for a memorial ride for Ron Cadiente. We still have to work out a couple of things, but it is currently planned for the morning of March 24 and will be out at McDowell Mountain Park. I wanted to get the date out there so that everybody interested could put it in their calendar.

In conjunction with the memorial ride, we will be asking for donations to finance the purchase and installation of a memorial bench in Ron's honor. I will post the details on how to make the donations. If the donated funds exceed the cost of the bench, we will donate the balance of the money to Ron's family.

This ride will be a great opportunity to honor Ron, his life, his family, and what he means to everybody who has heard his story, whether or not you were blessed to have known him. I don't anticipate the ride to be a gloomy one, but one where friends can enjoy a good ride together, mourn their fallen friend, think of their own lives and loved ones, and help Ron's family know that he is not forgotten.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm very sorry to hear about Ron's passing. I appreciate Brooke and Brett's comments. As a fellow LDS member, I'm glad to hear Ron was able to attend the temple shortly before his passing. I will keep your family in my prayers. I'm very sorry for your loss. I look forward to March 24th.

Your brother in the Gospel,

Rob

Lindsay
    My condolence....god bless.
    Last edited by Once_Upon_A_Time; 02-17-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Registered Bike Offender
    Just throwing this out there but it would be nice to see all the parks should put designated markers along the trails that can be communicated to first responders to help them locate people in distress faster. I cant imagine how hard that was for the guy calling 911 to explain his location. I know the dynamite and pima area has these. It would be a lot easier to say "im near marker #3" rather than "im on a trail somewhere north of fountain hills."

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    Just throwing this out there but it would be nice to see all the parks should put designated markers along the trails that can be communicated to first responders to help them locate people in distress faster. I cant imagine how hard that was for the guy calling 911 to explain his location. I know the dynamite and pima area has these. It would be a lot easier to say "im near marker #3" rather than "im on a trail somewhere north of fountain hills."
    I use software so that friends and my wife can track me when I go riding - don't forget also that if you have a smartphone with google maps, you can send your current location via email/sms/twitter etc.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    As a father who also rides with my son and daughter, I would like to express my condolences. I haven't been on MTBR in a while, hence the lateness of my reply. My heart out goes to his family.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

Old-newbie
    I don't think that I ever met Ron, but I still grieve his passing. It is very sobering to see a fellow rider fall victim to plain old random chance. Yet, this unfortunate incident has created one of the most touching threads that I have ever read. I am impressed by the composure of his children, as well as the outpouring of the emotions of the community on this board. This thread alone is a beautiful memorial. I can only offer my thoughts and condolences to his family.

Personally, I really like the idea of planting a tree or cactus at that site. Something like a desert museum palo verde would be perfect. The ritual would be sharing some water with the tree while it gets established. I also like the idea of an annual night ride to light candles.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    Personally, I really like the idea of planting a tree or cactus at that site. Something like a desert museum palo verde would be perfect. The ritual would be sharing some water with the tree while it gets established. I also like the idea of an annual night ride to light candles.

gerG
    I will talk to the park and see if we can incorporate a tree in with the memorial bench that is in the works. There is a lot of symbolism in your ritual of sharing water with the young tree until it gets established. For everyone who knew Ron, that is something he did for those around him.

A plethora of pinatas
    The memorial ride for Ron will take place on March 24th. See http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/memor...-a-772050.html for all the details.
    Marty

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I would like to express my sincere gratitude to all those that participated in the Memorial Ride for Ron Cadiente who is my husband. I have been so touched by your kindness and generosity. You answered my prayer to have a beautiful tree planted in his honor. The marker looks unbelievable, Ron would be so honored. I'm looking forward to seeing the bench. Your ideas have been so wonderful. You truly have touch my heart. It has been a gesture of support and concern and my family and me. I thank you for that. Ron was a man that was kind, generous, a great Dad and the best husband. He had many friends. I am glad that he made friends in the biking community. What wonderful people you are. I will always keep you in my prayers that you will be safe as you ride. I hope you will experience great enjoyment as you ride the trail. Thank you to Nat Clarkson and Marty Coplea for all the time they put in organizing this event and all details for the tree, bench and marker. Thank you to all those who donated towards this event. I know there were many there the day of the accident that tried so hard to help Ron. I know this must have been very difficult for you also. It has brought me great peace to know he wasn't alone especially since none of his family was there. There is a saying that goes something like this: Sometimes people come into your life, touch your heart and you are never the same. My heart will always remember what you have done for me and for Ron. I will never forget your great acts of service and kindness. It has brought our family great comfort.
    Again, thank you from my family, Garron, Brett, Maren, Brooke, Paige and Pamela Cadiente

My other ride is your mom
    peace be with you Cougar3....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cougar3- The way you and your family have coped with this has redefined grace. for me. Best Wishes.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Cougar3- The way you and your family have coped with this has redefined grace. for me. Best Wishes.
    Well said.

I am the Tin Man!
    Been away from the board for a while and this is the first I am hearing of this tragic event. I didnt know Ron but used to work with his son Garron. My heart goes out to the family and I know it is a great consolation that they will see him again.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You're very welcome. It was inspirational to hear you and your family talk about Ron. I can only imagine how much pride Ron must have felt for all of you.

I will always stop and water his tree and pause for a moment to remember the beautiful ride on Saturday; a ride that his son said he would have loved to have been a part of.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Carnivore
    Couldn't make it for the ride but I'll be down this weekend. Where are the tree and bench?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My condolences go out to the family and loved ones who have obviously lost a man who was a great husband, father and a positive influence on his community.
    If we didn't have Facebook and mtbr, none of us would have known this unfortunate event ever happened.
    This is a wake up call to never take things for granted. I do a lot of riding and have been taking my two young girls out, teaching them to ride trails. We were out on Pemperton last Sunday and had no clue this had happened.
    I'm guilty of jumping on my bike most of the time, without checking it thoroughly before taking off. Most of my crashes have been after clearing hard sections, then hauling ass too fast on a smooth section of trail.
    There's another thing that's just crossed my mind about riding. We're always focused on protecting ourselves from crashes and falls, but not how to react when it does happen. In martial arts, like jiu jitsu, judo and aikido, the student is tought how to fall first, because that's a regular part of fighting. Us mountain bikers on the other hand, learn to ride, but not how to react when a crash is about to happen.
    I think it would be a good idea for us as individuals or as a group to get with instructors in the martial arts community and maybe set up clinics to teach us how to react safely in a crash.

Just an idea!
    What do you guys think?

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    Couldn't make it for the ride but I'll be down this weekend. Where are the tree and bench?
    The park is still deciding where to put the bench and tree. It is either going at a spot right before you drop down into the wash on the approach to the Step (which is closer to where Ron died) or near the top of the Step with a view back to the northeast. Thanks to all the donations, they have everything paid for and will start the process of finalizing those plans.

Members who have read this thread: 1