parenting for gnarness

The Fast and the Spurious - Scottsdale XC

I've been working on a route that can be a fast rolling training ride, something different than all the big climbs in the McDs, and that can be ridden at night. The map below is 23 miles, almost all dirt or multiuse paths. Adding in lower Quartz or Taliesen, Paradise and Levee will add a few miles and a good bit of time. I've explored a little-used trail connecting out of Horseman's Park and running north from Bell Rd. along 98th St. for about 3.5 miles - it goes further, but I havent hit it yet. I think the totals are closing in on 3.5 hrs and nearly 35 miles, probably around 2k vf, some is very fast, some is pretty slow due to tight twisty rocky, there are a few jumps mixed in too. Can anyone add on any parts?

YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Occidental Tourist
    Greenbelt to Scottsdale Healthcare then find your way to E Desert Cove Ave and 104th st and follow the drainage paths and trais to FLW and Taliesen.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Greenbelt to Scottsdale Healthcare then find your way to E Desert Cove Ave and 104th st and follow the drainage paths and trais to FLW and Taliesen.

like this sorta? I tried to find a route from 96th over to 92nd where the multiuse path lets out, but was not able. I did not try all that hard since it was for my commute, I just shot up 92nd to Cholla St. and then east to 96th. This would be sweet if you could hook it up, avoid riding the same path on the res twice. I know there are some horse paths through there but they looked sandy and overgrown and no fun on the CX bike... there are a few nice ramps and sloped walls to ride on that stretch of multiuse path between 92nd and Via Linda - havent hit them on the CX bike. this route i have in mind would be MTB to add in some hooliganism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Fast and the Spurious - Scottsdale XC-central_scottsdale.jpg  

Occidental Tourist
    eggzachary. you can use it to loop back and avoid the dirt path next to the rez
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

parenting for gnarness
    eggzachary. you can use it to loop back and avoid the dirt path next to the rez
    kewl. would be a nice addition. gonna try again finding a way through the cemetary on the ride home today. that ~2 mile shot on the multiuse path is really pretty, kinda down in grassy areas so its very refreshing. the tunnel under the 101 has an amazing colony of birds living there.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Thanks Cholla, I live at Mt View and Hayden and never thought about cutting over to get to Quartz and Taliesen.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    kewl. would be a nice addition. gonna try again finding a way through the cemetary on the ride home today. that ~2 mile shot on the multiuse path is really pretty, kinda down in grassy areas so its very refreshing. the tunnel under the 101 has an amazing colony of birds living there.
    what cemetary?

parenting for gnarness
    what cemetary?
    off 92nd, north of Shea. looks like a nice cutover to Desert Cove at 96th St. if you can get through 94th-95th st.

AZDog - its not "destination" riding, but its cool to have another option and I've been enjoying exploring the flats and such. the ride in my first map was a real fun burner and i saw nobody. nice change from the popular McD's trails.

mtbr member
    off 92nd, north of Shea. looks like a nice cutover to Desert Cove at 96th St. if you can get through 94th-95th st.

AZDog - its not "destination" riding, but its cool to have another option and I've been enjoying exploring the flats and such. the ride in my first map was a real fun burner and i saw nobody. nice change from the popular McD's trails.
    He's lying, he won't ride it.

Exploring like that is fun though. I've found 2 new routes recently.

Occidental Tourist
    You got any suggestions on an alt route for me? I'm getting tired of 8th/Rio Salado and the only other route I got is McDowell thru the Rez. Connecting Phx and Mesa is like making sausage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    chollaball,

Not sure if you have already checked this out, and I haven't been through on a bike to know if it works, but I think the planned expansion route for the multiuse path will take it from the bridge under 92nd St, north of Shea and by the cemetery, north along the alignment for 94th St/94th Way, up to the new bridge under Cactus just west of 96th St. It may be mostly dirt now for your riding pleasure.

parenting for gnarness
    You got any suggestions on an alt route for me? I'm getting tired of 8th/Rio Salado and the only other route I got is McDowell thru the Rez. Connecting Phx and Mesa is like making sausage.
    hee! i think i asked you the same question about 2 yrs ago. I settled into taking McDowell. Its not as bad in the Res as on the Scottsdale side, and i think you are reverse commuting so that should help. Country Club from McDowell down past Mckellips has either sidewalks or bike lanes. the sidewalk on the east side over teh Salt is a mess of trash, but rideable. I tried to find a route through the quarry and came up empty too.

@Adam - thanks for the suggestion. sounds like the horse path I had seen. would be nice. I'm leaving some extra time to putter around there today.

JohnniO
    I've been working on a route that can be a fast rolling training ride, something different than all the big climbs in the McDs, and that can be ridden at night. The map below is 23 miles, almost all dirt or multiuse paths. Adding in lower Quartz or Taliesen, Paradise and Levee will add a few miles and a good bit of time. I've explored a little-used trail connecting out of Horseman's Park and running north from Bell Rd. along 98th St. for about 3.5 miles - it goes further, but I havent hit it yet. I think the totals are closing in on 3.5 hrs and nearly 35 miles, probably around 2k vf, some is very fast, some is pretty slow due to tight twisty rocky, there are a few jumps mixed in too. Can anyone add on any parts?

I'm too lazy to do the math by myself. Are the distances you are talking out and back or one way ?

Sounds like a good off-road , no worries hammerfest night ride.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnniO
    I'm too lazy to do the math by myself. Are the distances you are talking out and back or one way ?

Sounds like a good off-road , no worries hammerfest night ride.
    round trip, but with these add-ons its getting into the mid-30's for mileage. your description is right on - i totally spaced out and just got into my tunes and spinning when i did this last week, very relaxing. the rockier stuff north of Bell and in the lower McDs will add in some more challenging (but still easy) terrain, i think it will be fun and flow well once i fiddle with the routing.

parenting for gnarness

Success!

found a cut through from the path at 92nd over to 96th, kinda popped out on someone's driveway...details. rode over to 104th and saw the path Yuri talked about. didnt have time today to follow it, but im psyched for next time.

meow
    I live in the hood right near the 104th St. trail and there are lots of little known trails that I've discovered over the years of riding around the area.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    I live in the hood right near the 104th St. trail and there are lots of little known trails that I've discovered over the years of riding around the area.

tease...

meow
    Here's one...pick up the trail on the NE side of the canal bridge over 124th St, trail keeps going east to the res. Head back the same way or north on 136th St. and back into the Preserve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Fast and the Spurious - Scottsdale XC-canal-124th.jpg  

parenting for gnarness
    Here's one...pick up the trail on the NE side of the canal bridge over 124th St, trail keeps going east to the res. Head back the same way or north on 136th St. and back into the Preserve.
    cool thanks Cato. that looks like the same path as in my original pic, but going east instead of west along the Res. Any thoughts on hooking them up, without having to backtrack? I'm trying to make this route be as NR and legal as possible, so I'm trying to mostly avoid the Preserve.

below, see the section going north from Bell\98th (red on the map). So far its just out-and-back. I was thinking it might be possible to go up the wash that parallels Bell to jump onto Levee trail, then over to Paradise->Taliesen->golf course->etc (blue on the map). looked pretty overgrown from the car this morning, and the entrance to Levee off 104th access area also doesnt have any visible connector. any idears?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Fast and the Spurious - Scottsdale XC-north_of_bell.jpg  

meow
    Haven't been that way, I do know that once you cross Thomson Peak and get into the Preserve that they've brushed many of the old trails to close them off. Seek and you shall find )

parenting for gnarness
    Haven't been that way, I do know that once you cross Thomson Peak and get into the Preserve that they've brushed many of the old trails to close them off. Seek and you shall find )
    nothing a few beers, darkness and an offleash dog can't overcome...

Members who have read this thread: 0