Fantasy Island Update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fantasy Island Update

Yesterday afternoon we won the first battle in the war to preserve FI. The City of Tucson Mayor & Council at its Study Session voted 7-0 to preserve Fantasy Island. I want to thank all of you that took the time to write and call our representatives. They took notice and acted on it. Here is an excerpt from today’s AZ daily Star…

Since then, letters, petitions and e-mails seeking to save Fantasy Island have flooded state and city offices. Council members were taking turns Tuesday praising the preservation effort.

"Your efforts to date have been fantastic. Your behavior and demeanor at public rallies and at the planning commission have been a model of excellence for all grass-roots groups to emulate," Councilwoman Shirley Scott, a Democrat whose Ward 4 includes Fantasy Island, told its supporters.

Councilwoman Kathleen Dunbar, a Republican, said she has never witnessed such extraordinary courtesy from a group lobbying for a cause: "You set a gold standard for how to lobby.''

You can read the rest of the article at-- http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/metro/70211

This does not mean FI is ours yet just a first step in the right direction. Time to turn all the pressure towards the governor’s office. State Land has come along way but they still need to be pushed to do the right thing within the law.

Jon

swashbucklerette
    Great news!

Yeah the HAMP Planning Committee chairperson looked a bit nervous at the beginning of the 3/30/05 meeting. Like we were a bunch of rowdy mountain bikers that were going to start a mosh pit right then & there in the middle of the meeting room. But everyone was polite, well-behaved, and obeyed the rules. Imagine that...the mountain bikers are setting a good example!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Good job! Great Job, Jon & Chris

Quote Originally Posted by slugobikes
    Yesterday afternoon we won the first battle in the war to preserve FI.

This does not mean FI is ours yet just a first step in the right direction. Time to turn all the pressure towards the governor’s office. State Land has come along way but they still need to be pushed to do the right thing within the law.

Jon
    With my few brief interactions with you as a basis of opinion, Jon, I'm pretty sure you would counter my good job with, "couldn't have done it without all the volunteers".

Probably, it wouldn't happen without both. That said, however, it takes a few folk to step up and have the zeal and passion to motivate and organize others. A lot of bikers tend to be very individualistic. You've done a great job of bringing a lot of diverse personalities together.

Congratulations in the first battle victory. Only wounds are from the trail, I hope!
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    With my few brief interactions with you as a basis of opinion, Jon, I'm pretty sure you would counter my good job with, "couldn't have done it without all the volunteers".

Probably, it wouldn't happen without both. That said, however, it takes a few folk to step up and have the zeal and passion to motivate and organize others. A lot of bikers tend to be very individualistic. You've done a great job of bringing a lot of diverse personalities together.

Congratulations in the first battle victory. Only wounds are from the trail, I hope!
    I believe I did thank EVERYONE in my post and I would like to do it again.

Without all of you e-mailing calling and writing letters many of our representatives would never have given the Fantasy Island Conservation Alliance the time of day. It is because of you that I was able to sit down and tell them personally why Fantasy Island is so important to our community. They listened. Now all of us are on our way to preserving Fantasy Island.

We are all volunteers so I am not quite sure who you are referring to that I missed thanking. The Council and Commission members have noted how wonderful & courteous "all of the activists were" not me personally. Actually, they probably think I am a pain in the butt.

I just want to reiterate that it is not a done deal. This was just a big step in the right direction

Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday. Maybe you hardcores can use a quick spin around FI before you head over to La Milagrosa.

Jon

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by slugobikes
    I believe I did thank EVERYONE in my post and I would like to do it again.

Jon
    LOLjust what I was trying to say about your humility in my previous post. I'm trying to thank you for your efforts!!!!!! You respond, "who didn't I thank, who did I leave out?"

you forgot you...
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!