No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Fantastic run on National this morning

Geez, what weather, huh? When Drew (Grave9) and I hit the Ramadas around 0630 it was still in the high 60s. Awesome.

Today, we went up Mormon. Normally, we turn and go straight down National. Today, feeling frisky, we went on to the waterfall. Seen plenty of video (Huffy Boy, anyone?), but had never ridden it.

Drew has only been riding about two months, but has some incredible technical skill. He took one run down and missed it. Then nailed the waterfall on his second try. Beautifully done. And then did it again for good measure.

I took four runs and got most of it on the last one before getting hung up at the very bottom.

We then blasted on back down. The more you ride this trail, the more you really get dialed in. We've been having a great time riding it. Too bad we didn't take time to shoot any photos. The other think I've noted is having a steady riding partner (s) really does improve your skillset. Due to my odd schedule, I've always ridden alone, but have Drew and some other buds I've recently met has really pushed my own skillset.

As other told me in an earlier thread, I am getting used to the flat pedals. Adjusting technique and reducing my sag has solved 90% of the problem.

Thanks for letting me share the stoke. What a great ride.

mtbr member
    Wish I was there. Natty rules, and this weather just makes me happy.

"No Clue Crew"
    GREAT RIDE!!!!! I only went over the bars ONCE! The weather was just about perfect and the more we explore National the more I love it! Here are a few stats from the ride today:

SIDE NOTE:

shin/knee pads? What are some good brands/makes?

Nice ride today Blatant! Lets plan on it again soon..........Drew

parenting for gnarness
    Grave - there are lots of threads on this forum about pads. Simple answer - spend $100 for knees and elbows and you will not be disappointed the first time they save you. Chances are you will try different pairs over time. Rage, Cactus, Adventure all have some selection I know of. I am currently wearing my plastic knee\shins while learning to use flats, but typically I wear 661 Tomcats. Probably going to switch to the Kyle Straits when those go. and yes, they are all hot, dont even begin whining about it
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    Grave - there are lots of threads on this forum about pads. Simple answer - spend $100 for knees and elbows and you will not be disappointed the first time they save you. Chances are you will try different pairs over time. Rage, Cactus, Adventure all have some selection I know of. I am currently wearing my plastic knee\shins while learning to use flats, but typically I wear 661 Tomcats. Probably going to switch to the Kyle Straits when those go. and yes, they are all hot, dont even begin whining about it
    Thanks Chollaball, I'll check out a few local shops. I think I've pushed my luck just about as far as I can wearing nothing so far. I like both those type you mentioned. Blatant has a nice pair but 3 rides in and zero crashes and they are already ripping!

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Thanks Chollaball, I'll check out a few local shops. I think I've pushed my luck just about as far as I can wearing nothing so far. I like both those type you mentioned. Blatant has a nice pair but 3 rides in and zero crashes and they are already ripping!
    being gentle when pulling on\off and rinsing out the salt so they dont get brittle helps. but they are something of a disposable good, especially when the rip in the pad could have been your skin. 3 times, however, is too soon.

mrs cball, after vociferously protesting the need for pads on 6 Shooter, then finally relenting
    2009_0524_6shooter_17_blog
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

"No Clue Crew"
    I guess being a old school skate I like the pads with the shell outside the material, even though those look very comfortable.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I got the 661 Veggies from Pig. The seams began unraveling after the second wearing; I have not crashed in them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That old natty is just some of the best around, I am glad you guys are feeling it .

It really gets to where you only want to ride somo,

I really like above the water fall on to the saddle and then the parking lot .

And down gernimo out to boyscouts .

That whole mountain has something for everybody

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

NIce...

Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    GREAT RIDE!!!!! I only went over the bars ONCE! The weather was just about perfect and the more we explore National the more I love it! Here are a few stats from the ride today:

SIDE NOTE:

shin/knee pads? What are some good brands/makes?

Nice ride today Blatant! Lets plan on it again soon..........Drew
    I see the Tangerine Dream is taking good care of you Now, WRT armor.... Raceface/Roach is THE ticket. No need to look any further. Give me a hollar if you have further questions. Soon, you and Dion will be ready for my AZ "Boo Crew" rides.

EDR
    I guess being a old school skate I like the pads with the shell outside the material, even though those look very comfortable.
    In that case check out Rockgarden LZ shorty pads. Mine are all black and Cactus might have some in stock, not sure. The stay in place quite well and are mesh behind the legs/knees so they aren't terribly hot.

If you are using flats and want shin protection the Race Race/Roach FR ones seem to be the ticket.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    I see the Tangerine Dream is taking good care of you Now, WRT armor.... Raceface/Roach is THE ticket. No need to look any further. Give me a hollar if you have further questions. Soon, you and Dion will be ready for my AZ "Boo Crew" rides.
    She is a DREAM! After cleaning the waterfall this morning I wanted to just carry her down the rest of the way but I didn't. Helped my whole riding style and skills. Love to tag along on a ride some time

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    In that case check out Rockgarden LZ shorty pads. Mine are all black and Cactus might have some in stock, not sure. The stay in place quite well and are mesh behind the legs/knees so they aren't terribly hot.

If you are using flats and want shin protection the Race Race/Roach FR ones seem to be the ticket.
    Thanks for the info; going to looking into the Roach

mtbr member
    I must have just missed you guys - left the Ramadas around 6am, a quick ride up Natty to the waterfall and then back down Natty - only saw one group of 3 riders (all on Cannondales-no Tangerine dream).

What do you mean reducing your sag has helped with the flat pedals?

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Geez, what weather, huh? When Drew (Grave9) and I hit the Ramadas around 0630 it was still in the high 60s. Awesome.

Today, we went up Mormon. Normally, we turn and go straight down National. Today, feeling frisky, we went on to the waterfall. Seen plenty of video (Huffy Boy, anyone?), but had never ridden it.

We then blasted on back down. The more you ride this trail, the more you really get dialed in. We've been having a great time riding it. Too bad we didn't take time to shoot any photos. The other think I've noted is having a steady riding partner (s) really does improve your skillset. Due to my odd schedule, I've always ridden alone, but have Drew and some other buds I've recently met has really pushed my own skillset.

As other told me in an earlier thread, I am getting used to the flat pedals. Adjusting technique and reducing my sag has solved 90% of the problem.

Thanks for letting me share the stoke. What a great ride.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    I must have just missed you guys - left the Ramadas around 6am, a quick ride up Natty to the waterfall and then back down Natty - only saw one group of 3 riders (all on Cannondales-no Tangerine dream).

What do you mean reducing your sag has helped with the flat pedals?
    I think he was getting a lot more petal strikes with the larger flats than his clips. Less sag, higher petal. My guess........Drew

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I think the group of three were all on Gary Fishers. We saw them coming down Mormon when we were climbing up.

Yes, switching to flats caused a lot of heartache for me initially. Reducing my sag slightly helped reduce all the pedal strikes I was experiencing.

Drew was on an orange 575 and I was on a blue C'Dale Prophet.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I think the group of three were all on Gary Fishers. We saw them coming down Mormon when we were climbing up.

Yes, switching to flats caused a lot of heartache for me initially. Reducing my sag slightly helped reduce all the pedal strikes I was experiencing.

Drew was on an orange 575 and I was on a blue C'Dale Prophet.

Yeah, I saw all Fishers.........Drew

Plasko
    Drew - you know you want the pink knee pads on the left. Especially with all of your recent trips to the 'Gulch ;-)

Plasko

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by generic602
    Drew - you know you want the pink knee pads on the left. Especially with all of your recent trips to the 'Gulch ;-)

Plasko
    That's just wrong! But I bought the pink anyway!........Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0