Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Biking Newbie
    Feb 2012

Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?

I was up at Woods Canyon last year and tried to bike around Woods Canyon Lake as I thought there was a trail there. Unfortunately, I ended up carrying my bike a majority of that trail.

I wanted to take my 8 year old on an actual off-road trail...anything nearby or not too far away? The Meadow Trail is a bit too easy since it's paved.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by gsrblack; 08-31-2017 at 11:29 AM.
    '18 Trek Marlin 5
    '17 Spec Jynx 650B
    '14 Fuji Ace 650
    '14 Fuji Ace 24
    '13 Spec Hotrock 24 XC Disc
    '11 Spec Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by gsrblack View Post
    I was up at Woods Canyon last year and tried to bike around Woods Canyon Lake as I thought there was a trail there. Unfortunately, I ended up carrying my bike a majority of that trail.

I wanted to take my 8 year old on an actual off-road trail...anything nearby or not too far away? The Meadow Trail is a bit too easy since it's paved.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
    Went up a couple weeks ago looking for a place to ride. Stopped in at 87 Cyclery in Payson and Jeremy pointed is to the 260 trail head which isn't far from Woods Canyon. Great shop, worth popping in on the way into town. I bet they can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    carr lake trail system is up there, if the forest service hasn't ruined it with logging trucks by now.

also, a few miles away in Heber there is a city park with some really nice beginner trails in it. i took my kids there this spring, had a blast.

Breakfast is at 3 Bears, Lunch at Aliberto's, and Dinner is at Casa Ramos.

proceed with caution
    General Crooks might work if you head eastbound. you can also stay on the carr trail loops. the willow springs lake has a trail that's an old road that is decent enough for beginners, that's where I took my 8 year old a few years back and it seemed to work.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/ar...2&m=trailforks

Ditto on the heber park if you hear further east on the rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I agree with Mike. I think General Crook from the first parking area off 260 to the lake road is your best bet. It is basically a gravel road, but is not completely flat.

Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?-general_crook.png

Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?-img_20161008_143655.jpg

My take on the other options:
    The Rim Lakes Vista trail is overgrown/rocky and also pretty close to the rim. Carr loops are overgrown and rough in areas, so I probably wouldn't take my kids there either, but could be an option, Aspen trail for example:

Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?-img_1769.jpg

The 260 trailhead as mentioned (assuming for Highline?) is serious trail. I wouldn't take my kids or beginners there. It is super fun to ride though.

Family Friendly Trail at Woods Canyon Lake Rec Area?-20160530_070551.jpg

mtbr member
    I can help. I just "rode" the whole length of the general crook trail from the turnout of 300 off 260 all the way to Pine. The best riding in that area hands down is the Carr Lake Loop. The loop starts at the Carr Lake Trailhead about 2 miles west of the turnout to Woods Canyon Lake. There are actually several loops in there and you can find a map on forest service website. The general crook trail runs through this system. It gets progressively less maintained the farther west you travel. It becomes impassable a good ways west of this loop.