Fall colors in Flag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Fall colors in Flag

Hi!
    I was hoping to ride some sweet singletrack and check out some golden aspens,
    are things starting to change yet up there yet? What would be the best weekend
    to see the most dramatic colors? I always miss the fall foliage living in Tucson
    Thank you!!!

mtbr member
    The aspens are starting to turn on the north side of the peaks. Maybe the weekend after next would be the peak on most other aspects. There was just a little color when I rode AZ trail from aspen corner to 418 last Friday (9/25).

slower than you
    all the leaves blew away today in the 50mph wind.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    all the leaves blew away today in the 50mph wind.
    Only in sunnyside. Not much wind to speak of elsewhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I rode the waterline last week and the leaves were just starting to turn. Probably next weekend will be ok but maybe past peak. If you could do a midweek trip that might be ideal (for crowds and colors).

No mames guey
    I rode the AZ trail between 418 and Aspen Corner twice last weekend. The aspen groves on the trail were just started to turn, and the fern gardens were amazing yellow. I would imagine that they will be great this weekend. The trees on the north side of Hochderffer Hills were bright orange and incredible.

Waterline/Pickup Stix is on the roster for this afternoon. I'll let you know the status later.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73

Waterline/Pickup Stix is on the roster for this afternoon. I'll let you know the status later.
    Pickup Stix is the new trail down to Lockett Meadow?

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Pickup Stix is the new trail down to Lockett Meadow?
    Yep. It probably has 2 other names (plus the one that will be on Dale's map...)

[Bait is set]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    Yep. It probably has 2 other names (plus the one that will be on Dale's map...)

[Bait is set]
    If so, I will give him props for riding Challenger to get there.

My other ride is your mom
    Pickup Stix is not exactly a new trail.....except for the reroute/switchbacks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Pickup Stix is not exactly a new trail.....except for the reroute/switchbacks
    I was referring to the trail "recently" built by the FS that drops from waterline rd. near the cabins down to Lockett Meadow. Probably not one and the same.

No mames guey
    I was referring to the trail "recently" built by the FS that drops from waterline rd. near the cabins down to Lockett Meadow. Probably not one and the same.
    Yes, that is the same trail. It has been there for a while. The FS just worked on it this summer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey,

so thank for the info, so I guess the question was would it be better to do this weekend oct 3 or next weekend, unfortunetly I have to do the weekend because of work.
    I was actually planning on camping in lockett meadow, I thought that that a lot of the singletrack up to waterline was in wilderness areas so it was not rideable?

Have things changed?

Consider yourselves very lucky to live up there, I miss living in flag.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by azmtb31
    Hey,

so thank for the info, so I guess the question was would it be better to do this weekend oct 3 or next weekend, unfortunetly I have to do the weekend because of work.
    I was actually planning on camping in lockett meadow, I thought that that a lot of the singletrack up to waterline was in wilderness areas so it was not rideable?

Have things changed?

Consider yourselves very lucky to live up there, I miss living in flag.
    This weekend or next could be good. It all depends on the wind. Last year all the leaves blew off in a single day.

The Waterline Road travels along the edge of the wilderness. Everything to the east is just NF (Challenger, etc.)

The .05 percent
    Only in sunnyside. Not much wind to speak of elsewhere
    ...unless you live in Cheshire or near Elden. Colors up on Elden near or past peak at the top. Going to check on DH trails on Sat, I forsee lots of down trees

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The colors on the north side of the peaks peak in about a week, if, there is no major wind storm or rain storm. If it stays mild the peak is around the 10-14th. If a storm comes through the peak is now.

mtbr member
    aspens were yellow at the junction of 418 & 151, but i bet they blew down. the AZ trail from 418 was heinously dusty!!!!! 6-8" plus in places.........FWIW, i cleared the aspen logs off of "pick-up sticks" {what a dumb/cutesy name....} about 7-8 yrs ago - it was called "logs of insanity" and made people who couldn't ride logs mad at you...........it's signed as "inner basin trail" now, which is better then both names as it actually tells you where you are going........colors may be a wash if it rains this weekend as they are calling for. i bet the N. rim is going off now..........Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    ...unless you live in Cheshire or near Elden. Colors up on Elden near or past peak at the top. Going to check on DH trails on Sat, I forsee lots of down trees
    Yes, Cheshire. I was just poking fun at RockyC who has a running debate on the merits of living in Sunnyside with Prodigal Son.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    aspens were yellow at the junction of 418 & 151, but i bet they blew down. the AZ trail from 418 was heinously dusty!!!!! 6-8" plus in places.........FWIW, i cleared the aspen logs off of "pick-up sticks" {what a dumb/cutesy name....} about 7-8 yrs ago - it was called "logs of insanity" and made people who couldn't ride logs mad at you...........it's signed as "inner basin trail" now, which is better then both names as it actually tells you where you are going........colors may be a wash if it rains this weekend as they are calling for. i bet the N. rim is going off now..........Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    i'm gonna have a peak at red onion tomorrow morning. i have a feeling that little wind-sheltered pocket will look quite lovely.

plus, the oaks on elden-drylake are beginning to go. in my humble opinion, the week the gambels go off is really /the/ week to see color, especially late afternoon.

and as for:

Yes, Cheshire. I was just poking fun at RockyC who has a running debate on the merits of living in Sunnyside with Prodigal Son.
    fwiw, be it known: prodigal and i have buried the hatchet... he built me some very sweet trail to make up for all his harping about my 'hood. thanks again, prodigal!

now if only y'all will get bik_ryder to do something nice for me so we can be friends, too.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler

plus, the oaks on elden-drylake are beginning to go. in my humble opinion, the week the gambels go off is really /the/ week to see color, especially late afternoon.

yup. a couple great spots: Blue Ridge { oaks, Oregon Grape, Dogtooth Maple, Aspens, Creeper, Ash, Dogwood } and West Fork just for the rockin' Maples and Box Elder.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Over the Hill
    Aspen Report! I know it has been cold at night in Flag and may have also been windy. Seriously thinking about coming out for 3-4 days in a few days are the Aspens in prime colors or did the wind and cold take a toll.

Dean

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    There's alot of damage to the Aspens this year due to a particularly vile leaf fungus. This in addition to the high winds has really impacted the fall colors here. Like others have said, the AZ trail on the west flank of the mountain is pretty right now, as is Ft. Valley. I wouldn't give the rest of the mountain much time at all... another round of sub-freezing temps and wind will strip the remaining color away... winter is coming in a hurry this year.

Anyone been to the Inner Basin recently? It should be about that time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    There's alot of damage to the Aspens this year due to a particularly vile leaf fungus. This in addition to the high winds has really impacted the fall colors here. Like others have said, the AZ trail on the west flank of the mountain is pretty right now, as is Ft. Valley. I wouldn't give the rest of the mountain much time at all... another round of sub-freezing temps and wind will strip the remaining color away... winter is coming in a hurry this year.

Anyone been to the Inner Basin recently? It should be about that time.
    Aside from the general ill health of aspens these days, I would think since the leaves haven't really turned they're still where they should be, attached to twigs and limbs

Lockett Meadow on sat was still mostly green. Shady, protected north-facing areas had turned.

pedaller
    Yesterday along Snowbowl Road - Aspen Corner:

"Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Over the Hill
    Nice thanks for the reports keep them coming, looks like this weekend is the time to come see the colors. Will most likely being camping along the road to Bismark Lake Trailhead.

Dean

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow!!!
    thank you so much for the pictures!
    I am definetly haeding up there friday, i hope you guys don't do below freezing or get too much wind between now and then!!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    These are from Sunday noon'ish. It rained, hailed, trees fell over (literally) and we had an amazing time! As you can see there are plenty of colors to look at even with the crazy winds, fungus and anything else you hear about. Arizona Trail from the top of SnowBowl.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzFittin
    These are from Sunday noon'ish.
    Good scenery!

It looks c-c-cold to me! (Yeah, low tolerance for temps below 50.)
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    whats the temp up there?
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    whats the temp up there?

go to

http://www.wunderground.com/

In the "Search" near the top of the page, type in "Flagstaff, AZ" (without the quotes).
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Greff, didn't you ask this same question before about some other AZ location and got banned because of it? Have you not learned your lesson?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    i wanna ride up there before the snow starts to fall ho are the trail systems up there?

My other ride is your mom
    There are no trails in Flagstaff. Most folks in flagstaff eschew bicycles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IrSc
    i wanna ride up there before the snow starts to fall ho are the trail systems up there?
    Better get moving. There was snow on the peaks last weekend, and probably will be again tomorrow. Last check snow level was 7500 feet with some flurries expected tonight.

Because of recent moisture, conditions out on the trails are not bad... bring a jacket. My last three rides have been partly sunny, quite windy, and 50 degrees.

mtbr member
    weather today: *soupy*. 40*, windy, no peaks to be seen. mixed rain, hail and sleet, hard at times. the trails are fine if you are tough enough & have good clothing. that's this morning's Coconino Cycles world HQ weather report............

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    eschew
    gesundheit. (hope it's not teh swine flues)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for the reports! We are heading up on Fri, guess i'll need to bring a few jackets!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most of the day there were clouds around the peaks, but later in the day I could see some snow, seems around 10,000 and higher, not much though. Had a lot of fun flying around the clouds today. Usually my students freak out and level off 3000-4000' below the clouds, thinking that they're less than 1000 feet away.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    so you mean flying through sweet singletrack through the clouds on your bike right?? or are you some kind of pilot??
    can't believe there was some snow up there I can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    hey Jayem, I need a flight review. Maybe we can get a day scheduled for a review and a ride?
    Flying out of Prescott? Deer Valley? I live in north Phoenix.

Robert
    ATP

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So just a little report here..
    lots of color on waterline, aspens on upper schultz were blown away, so I was happy to hit water line afterwards and see lots of yellow and orange. It is very beautiful up here!! Well worth the 5 hr drive!!

mtbr member
    Mrs. Rockman and I did the around the Peaks ride on Friday (counterclockwise). Kinda odd about the aspens on Schultz. Complete leaf-off but Waterline was really nice. Maybe 20% done, 50% peaking, and 30% still green. For the most part south-facing slopes still haven't turned. About 20 trees had fallen on the AZ trail between 418 and Bismark Lake. Next weekend should still be pretty good.

Nice to see a little snow on one of my favorite lines. Doyle chute or some call it Telescope
    Attached Images Attached Images

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is it legal to do low scenic flying around there, or is it considered national park and you have to be 2000' AGL? One of my top 3 reasons for relocating is that theres a huge light-sport/ultralight flight park in Peoria...

mtbr member
    Hiked up in Lockett Meadow Yesterday... Things were nice and colorful. The gold should be around at least a little while longer, but the higher we hiked up the less leaves were left on the trees.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

slower than you
    they may not be as majestic as the great (spotted?) aspens all gathered together on cool verdant slopes in their oft-fenced predator-safe wire enclosures, but the hearty, widespread and brilliantly successful gambel oaks should be 'going off' all week. and they are a sight to behold, if you're able to turn your eyes away from the aspens for even a moment.

mtbr member
    Dang, I knew I was a week early last weekend in town on business. The colors were just starting to turn:

From town, up Little Elden / AZ Trail

then up Little Bear

Then up Sunset Trail (with some gold!)

at the Heart Tr. junction

and then over the crest into the 50mph wind.....

and then down Upper Oldham, Lower Oldham, Buffalo Park. Sorry, too much fun and brake pump to stop and take pictures. Thanks Flagstaff!

slower than you
    just for the record, but also for the good of the order (fall colors in flag), and chiefly for the sake of the oft-overlooked oaks, i wanted to post this rather shakey but sincere video i shot from my handlebars featuring the gambels at-peak-color this week on the southern exposures of mount elden along the forces of nature trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    is it legal to do low scenic flying around there, or is it considered national park and you have to be 2000' AGL? One of my top 3 reasons for relocating is that theres a huge light-sport/ultralight flight park in Peoria...
    Where you can ride bikes is not wilderness, but most of the "big mountain" is (the main peaks). On the other hand it wouldn't be a great idea to fly low over much of the riding-areas, lots of steep terrain and updrafts/downdrafts. I'm not sure how much mountain-flying stuff you've done, but density-altitude up here is real, and you need to make sure you have a good "out" if you're going to be up high close to the ground.

On the other hand, I'm sure there's lots that you could do (assuming no problems with density-altitude), I've taken my family sight-seeing around there. In the above paragraph I was considering "low" flying in conjunction with the areas in the pictures above. The stuff in the pictures is between 7000 and 9000'MSL.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Very nice video!
    It's as if I were back in flag on mt. Elden again instead
    of 95 degrees in Tucson!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Great looking trail, rocky! If you could get your equipment mounted to your helmet, I bet there would be a nice improvement.

I too enjoy the unique colors of the oak around northern az. Yellow and orange with the rarest of 'burnt' qualities. The aspen turn and drop first while the oak peak a bit later (by only a few days) and usually have a better ability to 'hold on' through some of the fall winds. As of today (10/19), the aspen are pretty much done while the oak still peak.

And then there's the variety of maples:
    IMG_2789" width="549">

So many colors, so little time. I need to find some time today or tomorrow to get some oak shots. Thanks for the inspiration!!
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

life is a barrel o'fun
    Crap, will it be past peak next week?

I thought we'd miss out on autumn going to AZ, nice to see that's not the case!
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Crap, will it be past peak next week?

I thought we'd miss out on autumn going to AZ, nice to see that's not the case!
    It will be past peak but there will be some color left on south facing slopes. The strong sw winds forecast for today as a cold front pushes through haven't really materialized so that will help.

Managed to convince two 7-yr olds it would be in their best interest to hike the 5 plus miles of Kachina trail on Sunday. While whining was rampant, there was proud rejoicing at the end. There were still some trees holding out but it was just about perfect. Best fall for color as well as duration in a couple of years I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors in Flag-kachina1.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-kachina2.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-kachina3.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-kachina4.jpg  

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Flag is past peak. 80% down. The top of the Oak Creek Canyon is loaded with a multitude of colors in Oak and Maple.

Hike West Fork, Pump House Wash or Fry Canyon. It's hard to get fall colors from a bike from here on out.

The good news is that the weather looks primo mid-70's for Sedona accross the 10-day.

Emjoy.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not Flagstaff:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall colors in Flag-bw-003.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-014.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-015.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-017.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-021.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-023.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-025.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-027.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-029.jpg  

Fall colors in Flag-bw-035.jpg  

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Excellent job in capturing the color of the Oak, Jayem. Oh how often we forget about Prescott which is why you get to enjoy clutter free trails.

mtbr member
    Yeah, the Rocky Ridge, Oldham, Forces of Nature trails are really great around the later part of the afternoon. Ride close to Elden amongst the rocks and oaks. Really nice fall ride. That trail has improved over the last couple of seasons. The trail seems to see quite a bit of use but seems to be forgotten on this forum. Lots of fun and I hope my guests have a chance to ride it before they leave back to the U.K.

The picture of the Gobblers is most excellent too. Fall colors and t-day is just around the corner. Jayem, did you bag one for turkey day?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    I enjoyed a great ride in Payson on trailhead 260. It was great to get out of the desert and into some trees. The weather was perfect.

Members who have read this thread: 0