mtbr member

Fair trade: non-local enthusiast looking to ride

Fellow mountain bike enthusiast from Bend OR visiting friends in AZ. I am currently in the Phoenix area, but I will be traveling north to Sedona, Flagstaff and the surrounding areas as of June 13 or 14.

My first stop will be Sedona to camp, bike and hike until June 17, and then it is off to Flagstaff for more of the same until around June 22.

I would really like to experience the trail systems in Northern AZ. If there are any locals willing to show a fellow MTB junky around I would be forever grateful. I am more than happy to trade trail time in AZ for trail time in Bend OR. Bend has great trail systems, and I know them well.

I am an intermediate cyclist, but I am recovering from knee surgery 5 months ago. I am not full strength but I can still hang for 2-3 hour rides at a moderate intensity.

Cheers with beer after the ride……Thanks in advance. Hope to see you on the trail.

Ride on,
    Jason

PS: Please post hear, or PM me if you are able to show off your trails

MTBR Mafia
    so your not riding phoenix though?
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    I could do some riding in Phoenix, but not until Monday. I didn't know there were many trails in Phoenix.....The weather is suppose to change and get pretty hot in the Phoenix area as of Monday.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply.

MTBR Mafia
    oh come on the heats nothin. and sedona and surrounding areas are getting pounded by rain right now. i am located by south moutain near the start of telegraph pass if you want it in trail terms. and phoenix has awesome trails what kinda riding do you do?
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    I ride XC. I have a steel hard tail that loves the single track.

Okay, I have no idea where you are, but I can mapquest any location and meet up with you when you have time. Let me know what your schedule is. Early morning rides would be great. It's off to dinner for me with friends. Check you later.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    I could do some riding in Phoenix, but not until Monday. I didn't know there were many trails in Phoenix.....The weather is suppose to change and get pretty hot in the Phoenix area as of Monday.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the reply.
    Phoenix is the location of one of Bike Magazine's 10 best trails in the country - National Trail.
    I AM JUST A JERK

MTBR Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    Phoenix is the location of one of Bike Magazine's 10 best trails in the country - National Trail.
    wow, i had no idea it was nationally recognized. it is a sweet trail
    All Mountain was so 2005

mtbr member
    I'm in....Let me know when you can ride.

MTBR Mafia
    well i havent ridden xc in forever. how old are you and are you like really fast?
    All Mountain was so 2005

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    wow, i had no idea it was nationally recognized. it is a sweet trail
    Yea, it is a sweet trail. Check this out though.

http://bikemag.com/features/012605_shoulda/
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size
    Okay, you're coming from Oregon so the heat in Phoenix is going to play a major factor in where and how you ride. Since you're recovering from surgery and you're not in tip-top shape, I'd take that into even greater consideration.

You're probably good for a 2-3 hour ride in Phoenix if can hit the trails by 5 or 6 a.m.. Seriously. Lots of trails fit the bill: Desert Classic from end-to-end (South Mountain) is a great introduction, or if you're up for something a bit more technical there are some great loops on the north side (Javelina, East Loop, West Loop, the wash, etc.) you might dig as well. If you're going to be in/near the East Valley, the Hawes trails are excellent but you should bring a local to show you around. Trail 100 etc. at North Mountain is good too. Yeah, there's a LOT of riding in the Valley.

If you go up north, try and spend 1 day in Sedona and 1 day in Flagstaff. Note that Sedona isn't really much cooler than Phoenix, though, so you're still looking at an early morning ride. Flag is perfect this time of year, though.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    I am 29 and have been seriously riding XC for about 6 years now. I am currently recovering from knee surgery from 5 months ago, so I am not in the best cycling shape, but I can hang. And no, I'm not fast.

I regards to the top ten list McKenzie river Trail is 45 minutes from my house, and is one of the most beautiful trails I have ever riden. 24miles of single track amongst old growth forest, lava rock, clear blue lakes, water falls, and a raging river. It doesn't get much better.

mtbr member
    Paul,
    thanks for the reply. How do I get directions to the trail heads? Are there any LBS in the area that could help me out.

I figured the rides would have to be early, but man that is early......it seems the ony way to make it work though with the weather getting so hot.

I will be spending time in both Sedona and Flagstaff. Sounds like Flag is the place I will get the most riding in. Any LBS in Flagstaff you recomend? Thanks for the help.

MTBR Mafia
    flags good but Sedona is amazing. there a shop called something like bike and bean or along those lines in sedona who are awesome but i dont know of any in Flag. im sure paul will though
    All Mountain was so 2005

BRILLIANT!
    I just got in from SoMo. Did the DC, up Telegraph and down National. I should be ready for another ride by tomorrow. We'd definately want to start NO later than 7am.
    I was thinking maybe T100, only because I havent yet, but Im game for anyhting.

Saucy Size
    Paul,
    thanks for the reply. How do I get directions to the trail heads? Are there any LBS in the area that could help me out.

I figured the rides would have to be early, but man that is early......it seems the ony way to make it work though with the weather getting so hot.

I will be spending time in both Sedona and Flagstaff. Sounds like Flag is the place I will get the most riding in. Any LBS in Flagstaff you recomend? Thanks for the help.
    Ed,

Someone else has posted some nice City of Phoenix maps of South and North Mountains above, so check those out for trailheads. The best SoMo trailhead is Pima Canyon, the one at the far east end. The best one at NoMo is probably Dreamy Draw, at the end of Northern Avenue kind of in the middle.

Early: Yeah, sorry. Just being realistic. People die out here from the heat, even when they're used to it, have prehydrated, and done everything else right. On the plus side, you have the trails (mostly) to yourself in the middle of our fair city at those hours midweek. You won't want to miss South Mountain if you're here -- it really is that good.

Sedona: Check with Chris or any of the other folks at the Bike and Bean (www.bike-bean.com). Of the 3.5 bike shops in town, I've had the most experience dealing with them and I like 'em. Nice maps too, including my guidebook. Best if-you-only-have-one-day ride is Cathedral Rock to Sub Rock to Bell Rock. There are several variations; the Bean can point you in the right direction. Allow 3-4 hours for that one.

Flagstaff: The best if-you-only-have-one-day ride...that's a hard one. Ten years later I'm still a huge fan of Schultz-Sunset-Brookbank-Little Bear-Lower Elden-Schultz. Not hard to find but you'll want someone along to show you the turns. Allow 4-5 hours to complete. High altitude, really gorgeous. Absolute Bikes is a very solid shop right in Old Flagstaff.

I'd offer to squire you around and I've been seriously itching to get out of town, but I just saw you're trying to square away a Monday/Tuesday trip. I'm in the middle of massive home renovations and leaving for LA Wednesday evening, so I can't. Good luck!

p.

Sublime Absurdity

Prescott Pitch

I highly recommend taking a slight (30 mins)detour off your route to Sedona from Phoneix and coming out to Prescott. Specifically, I think you should do Lynx Lake. An out n' back on 305/297 has a lot of reasons to recommend it:
    1. cool temps - Prescott is cooler than Phx/Sedona anyway, and this ride is 100% in the shade of pine forest.
    2. Hardtail compatible - riding SoMo and Sedona on a hardtail is gonna beat you up quite a bit - this ride is 100% non-technical.
    3. Superior Flow - coming down from the upper reaches of 305 and all of 297 are designed to put a big smile on any MTBer's face.
    4. Easy routefinding: it is pretty easy - just go up 305 until it dead ends into a dirt road that doesn't have a 305 sign on the other side (there are a bunch of road crossings before that), turn right and after 50 yrds you will come to a paved road (Walker Rd - the same one you turn off 69 to start the ride) - directly across the paved road is the start of 297 - follow that as far as you like then turn around and go back.
    5. Bad knee compatible - it is basically up up up from the beginning. It starts out gradual, but there are some real tough spots on the upper reaches of 305 and in the middle of 297. If your knee starts bothering you - turn around and it is mostly downhill back to your starting spot.
    6. Camping - there are lots of great campgrounds in Prescott - specifically, you can camp right at Lynx Lake! That means you can start your ride right from the campground!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

mtbr member
    Wow, this is great!! Thanks for all of the information guys, keep them coming.

DirtySanchez-

It would be great to ride tomorrow or Tuesday with you cdub, Paul, and/or sodade. Who ever has time and is willing to show an out of towner the ropes. My schedule is very flexible. I just want to be in Flagstaff by June 17(Thur/Fri?)

My friend that I am staying with lives in Goodyear, so let me know where you all want to meet up and I will try and find my way.

Thanks again for all the great information.

MTBR Mafia
    come on somebody post a time. cause i , a 16 yr old, cant show him around by myself.
    All Mountain was so 2005

Saucy Size
    Ed,

I'd be up for an early (6:00 a.m. latest) ride out of Pima Canyon on Tuesday morning. We can talk about your tech abilities and endurance and put together a good ride from there.

E me at paul@mountainbikearizona.com.

p.

mtbr member
    Paul,
    That sound great. How do I get to Pima Canyon from Goodyear? It there anyway to mapquest for directions?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help cdub.....Are you coming with Paul and I on the ride?

MTBR Mafia
    uhh i dont really know where pima canyon is either. if its far from SoMo then i probly cant
    All Mountain was so 2005

Saucy Size
    Paul,
    That sound great. How do I get to Pima Canyon from Goodyear? It there anyway to mapquest for directions?
    From Goodyear:

Get on the I-10 and head east. Get off @ the Baseline exit and turn right/west. Turn left into the Pointe at South Mountain Resort, across the street from Fry's Electronics. In the resort, take the first right out of the first roundabout. Take the third right at the second roundabout and head up a hill -- if you hit a gate, you took the second roundabout. Go up the hill. Shortly after going through the Guadalupe Rd. light, look for 48th Street to your right. Turn right. Make an IMMEDIATE left into South Mountain Park -- there will be a big metal sign and a ranger kiosk (empty). Drive to the end and park.

This Mapquest link will also get you there: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...searchtab=home

p.

mtbr member
    Right on! Are we nailing down the time of 6am Tuesday morning?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by cdub
    uhh i dont really know where pima canyon is either. if its far from SoMo then i probly cant
    Pima Canyon is one of the parking lots at SoMo. Its the most popular starting point for most bikers.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Saucy Size
    Right on! Are we nailing down the time of 6am Tuesday morning?
    Yup. See you there! I'll be riding from home -- look for a polished silver Intense 5.5. I'll probably be chillin' at the south ramada.

p.

mtbr member
    Cool, I will be driving a subaru impreza wagon with a big red Yo Eddy on the top. I'm looking forward to the ride.

Saucy Size
    Cool, I will be driving a subaru impreza wagon with a big red Yo Eddy on the top. I'm looking forward to the ride.
    Ooh, sweet ride!

For tomorrow: prehydrate all day today (you should be getting up 3-4 times tonight to pee) and have a good-sized breakfast. Bring 100 oz of water and, ideally, a sports bottle with the hummingbird food of your choice (kool/gator/acceler/ade).

See you in the a.m.,

p.

BRILLIANT!
    What trail you plan on riding?

Saucy Size
    Dunno, depends on what Ed's up for. I'll decide after we chat a bit.

p.

I need to ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez
    What trail you plan on riding?
    DirtySanchez, you mentioned a few days ago wanting to start between 5 and 6, if you have lights and don't mind starting at 4:30am, we'll be doing some loops around the Javalina area of South Mountain. We start at the 46th st entrance since the Pima Canyon gate doesn't open until 5am. We usually ride until about 5:45 or so.

We'll be finishing up before BigFatEd gets started, so you could also ride with them when we get done. We usually end up going by the Ramadas before heading back to the 46th st parking lot.

One cool thing about the 46th street lot is that there's an offduty police officer right on the road next to the parking lot and the Simula building 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They make Kevlar body armor for the military so they are guarded 24 hours a day. Makes me worry a little bit less about someone breaking into my truck while I'm out riding.

L8r,
    Richard

MTBR Mafia
    Thanks for the invite. I was gonna have to call in sick to ride tomorrow anyway.

On Sunday rode the DC to Telegraph. Humped the bike up, thought I was gonna catch National up there but, there was a sign that said area closed. So I rode up Summit Rd. to BV, caught my breath and headed down National. This morning I did a quickie, up Mormon to National and down. Probably could've done more but got a late start. Heat was getting up there.

In the future if you ride Sunday or Monday give me a hollar'.
    ahhh, you should have posted. i hike up telegraph and do national all the time. its one sweet route. especially coming down telegraph
    All Mountain was so 2005

BRILLIANT!
    Thanks for the invite. I was gonna have to call in sick to ride tomorrow anyway.

On Sunday rode the DC to Telegraph. Humped the bike up, thought I was gonna catch National up there but, there was a sign that said area closed. So I rode up Summit Rd. to BV, caught my breath and headed down National. This morning I did a quickie, up Mormon to National and down. Probably could've done more but got a late start. Heat was getting up there.

I need to ride more.
    Nov 2004

Ok, will do. I'm riding SoMo 5 or 6 days a week right now, usually really early to avoid the heat, so if you ever want to ride early, message me.

Richard