No Clue Crew

Failure on Trail 8...

So I decided I was going to conquer that sharp right, triple step down, tight left section on Trail 8 south of 40th St. Figured instead of heading up the backside like I normally would I'd go straight up it and try the technical climb. Admittedly, it's not as technical as National or many others, maybe even Irregular as I've never climbed that one, but it's uphill for quite a while with plenty of obstacles for a sissy with no legs like me.

Loads of FAIL with a handful of good crashes.

No damage to me but when I got back home and was trying to adjust my rear derailer (why can't I ever remember how to spell that?) back into shifting position after the abuse I noticed a crack in my shifter from one of the rock hits.

So, my pain & frustration for your pleasure:

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the video! That was one of the best I've seen in a long time.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    So I decided I was going to conquer that sharp right, triple step down, tight left section on Trail 8 south of 40th St. Figured instead of heading up the backside like I normally would I'd go straight up it and try the technical climb. Admittedly, it's not as technical as National or many others, maybe even Irregular as I've never climbed that one, but it's uphill for quite a while with plenty of obstacles for a sissy with no legs like me.

Loads of FAIL with a handful of good crashes.

No damage to me but when I got back home and was trying to adjust my rear derailer (why can't I ever remember how to spell that?) back into shifting position after the abuse I noticed a crack in my shifter from one of the rock hits.

So, my pain & frustration for your pleasure:

from Michael Stevens on Vimeo.

I'll give you this, you have way more heart than I do. I probably give up after try two.

I just did that climb for the first time in about 4 years Monday. It's definitely a challenge. I think I pretty much walked most of it after the section you sessioned. I didn't come back that way; I went up to AW house.

I LOVE the fact you don't have an internal mute button!!!!!
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Weapon of Choice
    Dude thats some good video, and yes you can ride. Props to keep trying for the tech bits. Seriously though I wonder if its all in just comedy that stairway step down turn?

Super Unknown

Pivoteer
    Great video, I feel like I am watching Survivorman

Anyway, If I may offer some suggestions.

1. Your "fluke" was not a fluke, you chose the best line.
    2. The right line draws you in because it makes you believe you will have more room to turn after the drop, you have those few rocks that hook your wheels, so avoid this line.
    3. Try entering the section to the left, and stay left. It is the smoothest line.
    4. After entering to the left, you will see a small channel that will draw you to the rock on the left of the ledge - this is where you want to be.
    5. Keep your speed down, crawl as much as possible, should be pretty easy as it is "smooth"
    6. Roll your front tire slowly over the rock drop.
    7. As your front wheel rolls over, grab you front brakes and keep pressure on your pedals, this will help you maintain balance
    8. Turn your front wheel left
    9. Release your brake and roll through

As much fun as that was to watch, your entry speed was way too high. Try to approach it as a series of motions. Convince yourself you need to slowly roll, balance, turn, release. Try not to do it all in one motion, makes for great videos, but frustrated egos and or broken wrists.

Switchbacks are kind of my thing, but they do take a lot of practice, and often the line that least seems feasible is the best. A great way to practice is sit in your saddle, and try to do circles in your driveway, as tight as you can. Not only will this help you work on your counterbalancing, but you learn how to use your brake and pedals to maintain balance. I have gotten to the point that I can create a circle with my rear tire that is about 4-5" in diameter.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

RHRF!
    Great Stuff Mike! You are one 'Persistent SOB!!' You remind me of my sessioning on the WF!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    I've cleaned that section in the past and need to revisit it- awesome video! Another thing I noticed (and this is just watching a few minutes of video- so I could be a little wrong) is that your rebound on the fork is too fast. With the down slope and your body weight on the front, your fork should ride at least a 1/4 way into the travel. This will sharpen the steering a bit and make it easier to clear. I need to hook up with some of you guys out there now that I am somewhat in shape and won't throw up after every hard climb.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Dirt Merchant
    Good vid. Having not rode the trail, I can't say I feel your frustration, but it does look rough with all the rock.

LOVE the commentary.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Nice video, I enjoyed watching it. On that section starting at 6:05, I like to take the line in the attached photo, unless I'm on my hardtail, then I go around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Failure on Trail 8...-picture-4_new.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh'n az
    Nice video, I enjoyed watching it. On that section starting at 6:05, I like to take the line in the attached photo, unless I'm on my hardtail, then I go around.
    Hhmmm, I was going to make a snarky comment that the the line looks further to the left of the one he took. I've only been on that trail a couple time, so wasn't even sure that was a line. I'll have to look at that next time I try it.

Is the climb coming from south to north doable? From the descent, that looks like the smoother trail.

"No Clue Crew"
    MIKE!!!!!!! Great Video, as always!!!! Great tries on the turn, NOW turn around and climb it!!!!!!!! ..............Drew

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    yeah,, im gonna hafta get a non-carbon bike...

It's a slugfest!
    Nice vid Mike. Hope you get some time to ride in St. George. Zen and Barrels have some great sessioning spots.

-SS
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

No mames guey
    I enjoyed watching it, but I especially liked listening to you talk to yourself.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    I enjoyed watching it, but I especially liked listening to you talk to yourself.
    x2....f@&&ot... Lmao

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Hhmmm, I was going to make a snarky comment that the the line looks further to the left of the one he took. I've only been on that trail a couple time, so wasn't even sure that was a line. I'll have to look at that next time I try it.

Is the climb coming from south to north doable? From the descent, that looks like the smoother trail.
    It all doable given the right lung and leg.

That highlighted line is the preferred way. It's also one of the numerous targets that the Rock Fairies at PMP keep watch over. Just noticed the other day of some rock placement on Lower Cheese...thank you Rock Fairies!!!!
    Pumpin & Pimpin

Got a suspension fork
    You've got some fortitude to keep trying that step! I don't even try it, pull right up to the start of it and I hop down then continue.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Great video. I enjoyed all your commentary.

mtbr member
    My favorite part starts at 8:16. LOL, Great stuff, Your devoted. try lowering your seat or getting a set of higher handle bars or something or maybe ride back further on the seat on that spot. you should be able you stop just befor the edge and pop your wheel up nd shove it to the left and drop, you might have to lock it out for that spot as well. Alot of things can make a diference.. Still awesome to watch.

AZ Mountain Biking Member
    Mike - Always entertaining watching/ listening to you curse your head off. We've all been there!

mtbr member
    Funny stuff! Keep trying, and definitely keep the videos coming.

Hikers=SHlT
    May 2007
    My kind of rider! I find myself cursing like a drunk sailor at random obstacles (and hikers) too. Curious, what kind of camera are you using? Awesome footage!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    Thanks for the video! That was one of the best I've seen in a long time.
    I don't know about one of the best but I had a good time riding and making the video. Had the Mrs almost on the floor with the slow motion offs

I'll give you this, you have way more heart than I do. I probably give up after try two.
    Normally, I would too but my whole reason for riding that morning was to tackle this pig.

I LOVE the fact you don't have an internal mute button!!!!!
    Given that you berated another video thread of mine because I didn't label it NSfW I'll assume you're being facetious.

But, no I don't really have a mute button. Especially when I'm launching off the bike

Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Another thing I noticed (and this is just watching a few minutes of video- so I could be a little wrong) is that your rebound on the fork is too fast. With the down slope and your body weight on the front, your fork should ride at least a 1/4 way into the travel. This will sharpen the steering a bit and make it easier to clear.
    That's a possibility. This is the first REAL bike I've owned and don't really know where to set things at except the sag.

Quote Originally Posted by dh'n az
    Nice video, I enjoyed watching it. On that section starting at 6:05, I like to take the line in the attached photo...
    Yeah, that's the line Barry said he takes on his 6" bike. It's a pretty good sized rock to get on but it looks pretty easy to roll over. I'm committed to making the trail as it stands before I give in and take the easy line

I've never ridden from the saddle south towards AW House, always up. I can make it about 3/4 of the way before gassing. But from the climb up to the saddle I'd say down that opposite direction would be a LOT of fun. More flowy than chunky but it'd be like riding a chute most of the way if memory serves me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    MIKE!!!!!!! Great Video, as always!!!! Great tries on the turn, NOW turn around and climb it!!!!!!!! ..............Drew
    Sheeeiiiiit! When I can go down it I'll worry about trying to climb it. You saw me fail miserably on most of the National obstacles on the way up. If I had a strong suit on the bike, which I don't unless you count failing, it certainly isn't technical climbing

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Nice vid Mike. Hope you get some time to ride in St. George. Zen and Barrels have some great sessioning spots.
    Yeah, I hope get some time to ride as well

Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    x2....f@&&ot... Lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by theGreenEGg
    Great video. I enjoyed all your commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by niche77
    Mike - Always entertaining watching/ listening to you curse your head off. We've all been there!

Quote Originally Posted by LJYJ
    Your devoted. try lowering your seat or getting a set of higher handle bars or something or maybe ride back further on the seat on that spot. you should be able you stop just befor the edge and pop your wheel up nd shove it to the left and drop, you might have to lock it out for that spot as well. Alot of things can make a diference.. Still awesome to watch.
    I have noticed after watching the videos I've made that I always think I'm going faster than I am. Like at the very top and that first little left/right/left: I'm just CRAWLING through there but I felt like I was moving considerably faster.

And I always seem like I'm really leaning back behind the seat when I'm not that far back. But, trackstanding and hopping my front tire around is well beyond me currently...

Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    Funny stuff! Keep trying, and definitely keep the videos coming.
    Hey, you changed avatar. No wonder I haven't noticed you around here...

Quote Originally Posted by StabMasta
    My kind of rider! I find myself cursing like a drunk sailor at random obstacles (and hikers) too. Curious, what kind of camera are you using? Awesome footage!
    It's a HD Hero GoPro. Love it. Best Christmas present EVER! Need to get another so I can keep the onboard footage while still getting offboard footage

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    If I may offer some suggestions.

1. Your "fluke" was not a fluke, you chose the best line.
    2. The right line draws you in because it makes you believe you will have more room to turn after the drop, you have those few rocks that hook your wheels, so avoid this line.
    3. Try entering the section to the left, and stay left. It is the smoothest line.
    4. After entering to the left, you will see a small channel that will draw you to the rock on the left of the ledge - this is where you want to be.
    5. Keep your speed down, crawl as much as possible, should be pretty easy as it is "smooth"
    6. Roll your front tire slowly over the rock drop.
    7. As your front wheel rolls over, grab you front brakes and keep pressure on your pedals, this will help you maintain balance
    8. Turn your front wheel left
    9. Release your brake and roll through

As much fun as that was to watch, your entry speed was way too high. Try to approach it as a series of motions. Convince yourself you need to slowly roll, balance, turn, release. Try not to do it all in one motion, makes for great videos, but frustrated egos and or broken wrists.
    Good tips. I'll comment on them from my perspective as you've obviously done it and I really haven't...

1. I wouldn't say I "chose" the best line. It just happened to get in my way
    2. That right line did have me believing it would be easier to turn at the bottom. It's harder to hit because you gotta stay wide left as you make the initial right in order to hit it. I don't recall any rocks to hook your tire but the two times I went OtB I was on that line trying to turn and the wheel appeared to simply loose traction completely on the slick, dusty step.
    3 & 4. The left line is the first one I tried. It looks easier because you don't have to turn as sharp to get into it. But, it requires a much tighter turn at the step which is NOT my strength. That's partially why I thought the right line might be better: 'cause it wasn't the obvious choice.
    5. I wasn't trying to bomb it but keep enough speed to roll over the rocks in the path. As you can see from several of the attempts I simply stopped right in the middle. I was going too slow to get over the rocks. I imagine knowing how to pump your bike/suspension to keep momentum would come in handy here?
    6 - 9. I felt like I was crawling through it already but as evidenced from the video my tire would hit the bottom of the step and I'd immediately be at the rock wall in front with little time or space to turn, if I had the skill to do it.

From what I recollect the fluke of me making it I started out wanting to hit the right like to get a shorter turn at the bottom. I think I blew that line and wound up coming down just to the right of the left channel (I know I wasn't in it) but not on the top rock, the one right in the middle. From there I started to make the turn and I don't honestly remember much else of the carnage down. I was probably amazed that I hadn't fallen over yet that I just rode it out. I had enough momentum to even keep me moving after grinding the hell outta my bashguard on that step. After watching the video I thought that as close as I was to those rocks on the left at the top of the step I'm lucky I didn't bang my pedals or crank into it knocking me completely off balance.

Trying to do it in as a "series of motions" seems counterintuitive to me. As with most anything I try to look at the overall situation and think of the way to handle it in a fluid, continuous movement. I understand you gotta break it down into the pieces necessary to handle the obstacle but I'll admit I'm more prone to looking at the big picture and not trying to tackle the little pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    Switchbacks are kind of my thing, but they do take a lot of practice, and often the line that least seems feasible is the best. A great way to practice is sit in your saddle, and try to do circles in your driveway, as tight as you can. Not only will this help you work on your counterbalancing, but you learn how to use your brake and pedals to maintain balance. I have gotten to the point that I can create a circle with my rear tire that is about 4-5" in diameter.
    I actually have started practicing like that in my driveway every couple mornings before work. I work on my trackstanding, trackleaning/falling as I like to call it, as well as doing tight circles. I've also been trying to work on being in a pseudo-trackstand and lifting my front wheel into a new position as though I'm trying to turn in very tight quarters. Can't do that for sheeit.

I do know one thing I need to work on is to stop worrying about my line and just let my 6" soak up the trail. Obviously, for the main obstacle you gotta think about the line but I noticed as I was leaving that spot and heading back to 40th St I'd inadvertently (sometimes on purpose) lose my line or pick the wrong line. And I'd be surprised as I bounced on through without a care in the world. This Pitch is SUCH a step up from my 3" GF HT and I gotta let it do what it's designed to do.

Thanks for the tips and thanks to everyone else for watching

Shred...it's the new drug
    8:37 and on are my favorites...thanx for the smiles

Eroding into the trail
    Your pain & frustration was pleasurable to watch + the comments!
    LMAO!
    I too, cuss like a drunken sailor & fall down alot.

And yet another sacrifice to the mountain; may your shifter R.I.P

Great video!
    Loved the slo-mo segments, I thought you were going to eat the camera a few times!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    WOW!!!! that was awesome, dude you rock I really enjoyed that now i want to try that trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Nice video bro. Thanks for sharing your pain...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 918biker
    WOW!!!! that was awesome, dude you rock I really enjoyed that now i want to try that trail
    LOL. Wierd isnt it? I had the same feeling.

mtbr member
    So I went out yesterday and tried to clean it on my 29'r HT. Like I posted yesterday- I have cleaned it before- but it is way gnarlier than it was then. Lots more loose rock. I woosed out on my first attempt, walked what I thought would work and tried again leaving some black paint on the rocks next to someones red paint. I decided to give up at that point since I was dressed in my XC costume (no armor and lycra!). Next time I would try that straight line to the left, but honestly that feels like cutting trail to me even though it is man made (the whole turn) and no vegetation will ever take root there due to the poor rock placement by the original builder. Who knows might try it.
    So - Mike- hats off to you and thanks for giving me another challenge.

On a cool note, I climbed most of VOAZ and dropped into 302(?) for the first time in about 7 years and cleaned everything. Only stopped once on the triple stair down- when I wanted to take a peek. Good thing I did as my fork was locked out from the climb still. It's only an 80mm travel fork,but even that is better than 10mm!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones
    And yet another sacrifice to the mountain; may your shifter R.I.P
    When I enlarged the video to full screen on the last OtB slomo segment you can actually see my right shifter hitting the rock (and cracking) and the clear cover that covers the gear indicator go flying. I was lucky to find it and pop it back in. It wasn't until I was home inspecting that I actually saw the crack. It's not too bad but still feels solid so a little adjusting of the barrel screw and all seems normal.

So I went out yesterday and tried to clean it on my 29'r HT. Like I posted yesterday- I have cleaned it before- but it is way gnarlier than it was then. Lots more loose rock. I woosed out on my first attempt, walked what I thought would work and tried again leaving some black paint on the rocks next to someones red paint.
    That'd be mine from my red Race Face Bash Guard. I laughed when I saw it and wondered if anyone would ever notice it. Glad someone did... my sacrifice was not in vain

On a cool note, I climbed most of VOAZ and dropped into 302(?) for the first time in about 7 years and cleaned everything. Only stopped once on the triple stair down- when I wanted to take a peek. Good thing I did as my fork was locked out from the climb still. It's only an 80mm travel fork,but even that is better than 10mm!
    I have yet to get up VOAZ without at least two breather stops. That is a tough climb.

mtbr member
    I work from home, so any berating was in jest.

No Clue Crew
    I work from home, so any berating was in jest.
    I knew you did. Figured maybe it was kids or something. Or maybe you were at someone else's...

mtbr member
    I knew you did. Figured maybe it was kids or something. Or maybe you were at someone else's...
    I honestly don't remember, so any comments were not meant to be serious.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but one of my pet peeves (if that's the right word) are "loud" riders. Riders who huff and puff, or talk to themselves, etc. The SO is one of those. She'll yell out when she's in the middle of a tough area. (It's just a personal thing, and I'd never tell anybody this as I'd never expect anybody to do something based on my being very set in my ways.)

Maybe it's my hippie background, but I try and be as quiet as possible when riding, something about "being one with the trail ." That said, just this week I had a "Mike" moment, and even thought to myself "man, I'm starting to sound like Mike." winkey smiley face.

No Clue Crew
    I honestly don't remember, so any comments were not meant to be serious.
    Well, my skin is way too thick for it to bother me. Doesn't mean I won't remember it. No worries...

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but one of my pet peeves (if that's the right word) are "loud" riders. Riders who huff and puff, or talk to themselves, etc. The SO is one of those. She'll yell out when she's in the middle of a tough area. (It's just a personal thing, and I'd never tell anybody this as I'd never expect anybody to do something based on my being very set in my ways.)
    I typically am pretty quiet. I hate huffers/puffers myself but I don't mind people talking, even if to themselves, provided they aren't taking me away from the task at hand. The key in your statement is LOUD, which can be taken several ways. I don't know many actual loud riders but I know plenty that make noises and talk to themselves. That doesn't bother me so much as long you're not echoing off the mountains.

It especially worries me with the Mrs behind me when she throws out a "whoa" or something. I know she can't ride very well so I have to stop or look behind me, if possible, to see how she's doing. But, I know that I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for her when we ride so it doesn't bother me.

This particular video was specifically more documentary than just filming it so I "narrated" more than normal [/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Video was outstanding. I am going to try riding this trail the next time I get out on PMP.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro
    Just noticed the other day of some rock placement on Lower Cheese...thank you Rock Fairies!!!!
    That was me.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Can I get to this part of the trail starting trail 8 from trail 100? I live west side so I park at the dreamy draw entrance. I seem to remembering seeing a trail marker for Trail 8 when riding trail 100 towards 40th street.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate
    Can I get to this part of the trail starting trail 8 from trail 100? I live west side so I park at the dreamy draw entrance. I seem to remembering seeing a trail marker for Trail 8 when riding trail 100 towards 40th street.

Thanks
    Yes. Just take T100 feast from DD until just before the trail that heads north to the 40th st. parking lot. The trail heads south, and the turn off is just a bit west of the 40th turn off. I have no idea if it has a trail number, but you'll see the trail off in the distance. It's relatively flat until the very end, when it gets really steep.

I'm going to head that way tomorrow with some PMP irregulars. FIP at 8:45, and might head straight over there.

mtbr member
    Yes. Just take T100 feast from DD until just before the trail that heads north to the 40th st. parking lot. The trail heads south, and the turn off is just a bit west of the 40th turn off. I have no idea if it has a trail number, but you'll see the trail off in the distance. It's relatively flat until the very end, when it gets really steep.

I'm going to head that way tomorrow with some PMP irregulars. FIP at 8:45, and might head straight over there.
    FIP?

I may be riding in the am, not sure yet, depends if my wife is working or not. I am definitely riding out there Sunday early around 7:30

mtbr member
    Feet In Pedals.

It's an easy trail to find on your own.
    Oh ok, makes sense. I guess I need to brush up on MTB abbreviations lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate
    FIP?

I may be riding in the am, not sure yet, depends if my wife is working or not. I am definitely riding out there Sunday early around 7:30
    Feet In Pedals.

It's an easy trail to find on your own.

Alive and Lurkin'
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    That was me.
    In a wheelchair tutu no doubt...
    Pumpin & Pimpin

No Clue Crew
    It's actually Trail 8 itself. It starts at the 40th St lot and rolls all the way over to Lincoln.

As you head up that way you'll notice you are riding towards the saddle between to hills. Straight up is the way I went and it's pretty tough. If you want a little bit easier route take one of the rights as you head south on 8 and you'll go around the west side of that hill. It will eventually circle back around to 8 on the south side of the saddle. I think it's a little easier that way but maybe not by much. Definitely easier as far as technicality is concerned.

You can also get to the south side of the saddle by taking 1A off of 100. Follow it around and you'll eventually hit the Cactus Gardens loop which is trail 8. Follow that east some more and you'll come to a gully that you should be able to climb. Get out of it and head east a little more and you'll come to another gully that you won't be able to ride followed by a long climb on loose shale-type rock. I made that for the first time on my last attempt and was impressed with myself 'cause it's tough and nonstop for 100 yards on the loose stuff. Once you get over that there's another long climb north to the saddle. I've never made that climb without walking the last 50 yards. It's tough. But the reward on the back side is worth it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibro
    Just noticed the other day of some rock placement on Lower Cheese...thank you Rock Fairies!!!!
    We noticed the questionable rock placements on Lower Cheese on Thursday. Titusbro kindly moved them back to their place.

mtbr member
    Mike, you're too funny. I really hope you meant for that vid to be funny because I laughed my arse off

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Awesome video. Did you at least buy yourself a beer to make up for calling yourself a f@ggot? lol

I about spewed at that part, because I always yell at myself too "Come on fat @$$, you can, well maybe not you, but some people are aren't giant fat@$$e$ can make this... NOW PEDAL FAT BOY!!!!!'

Always funny when you think you're alone and someone hears you say something like the above.

Again though, great video and persistence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I take the left line that Barry does. Goes back to learning trail from jeeps. Easier to just get it over with and the faster you go the smoother it is. The challenge of that particular switch back isnt something that Ive mastered yet. I gotta learn to slow down a bit I guess.

mtbr member
    It's actually Trail 8 itself. It starts at the 40th St lot and rolls all the way over to Lincoln.

As you head up that way you'll notice you are riding towards the saddle between to hills. Straight up is the way I went and it's pretty tough. If you want a little bit easier route take one of the rights as you head south on 8 and you'll go around the west side of that hill. It will eventually circle back around to 8 on the south side of the saddle. I think it's a little easier that way but maybe not by much. Definitely easier as far as technicality is concerned.

You can also get to the south side of the saddle by taking 1A off of 100. Follow it around and you'll eventually hit the Cactus Gardens loop which is trail 8. Follow that east some more and you'll come to a gully that you should be able to climb. Get out of it and head east a little more and you'll come to another gully that you won't be able to ride followed by a long climb on loose shale-type rock. I made that for the first time on my last attempt and was impressed with myself 'cause it's tough and nonstop for 100 yards on the loose stuff. Once you get over that there's another long climb north to the saddle. I've never made that climb without walking the last 50 yards. It's tough. But the reward on the back side is worth it.
    Are you sure? I just did it today. Trail 8 off T100 is just a bit west of the main trail that heads north to 40th St. parking lot. If you park at 40th, and take that trail south, it takes you up the mountain to the east.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Mike, you're too funny. I really hope you meant for that vid to be funny because I laughed my arse off
    It couldn't be much besides humor...

Are you sure? I just did it today. Trail 8 off T100 is just a bit west of the main trail that heads north to 40th St. parking lot. If you park at 40th, and take that trail south, it takes you up the mountain to the east.
    Yes, but I may not have been perfectly clear.

If you're in the parking lot looking south and go left up that quick little 20 yard hill and then continue on south you are still on 40th St. At least that's what the maps call it.

If you go right towards Fenceline but take the VERY FIRST left down into the ravine you are on 8. It goes south and intersects with 100 and keeps going south.

mtbr member
    It couldn't be much besides humor...

Yes, but I may not have been perfectly clear.

If you're in the parking lot looking south and go left up that quick little 20 yard hill and then continue on south you are still on 40th St. At least that's what the maps call it.

If you go right towards Fenceline but take the VERY FIRST left down into the ravine you are on 8. It goes south and intersects with 100 and keeps going south.
    Boy, we're making this harder than necessary. I was giving him directions from Dreamy Draw, which he says he normally comes from.

Oh well, you know where it is, I know where it is. Nate is on his own .

mtbr member
    So I managed to find the trail and I rode up the hard way just to the obstacle in question. Now I can see why bigOmike had a hard time with it cause its techy. I tried it a ton of times and only made it down once. I did not however ride away. I apparently forgot how to pedal once I got back to the flat. See one crash and one kinda clear it below.

No Clue Crew
    Very nice, Nate. You obviously have much more skill than I just judging from those two vids. You looked to be rolling a lot slower than me and I'm not sure I could keep my balance going a much slower.

After all my failures and some new ideas I'll have to give 'er a try again soon...

mtbr member
    Very nice, Nate. You obviously have much more skill than I just judging from those two vids. You looked to be rolling a lot slower than me and I'm not sure I could keep my balance going a much slower.

After all my failures and some new ideas I'll have to give 'er a try again soon...
    I don't know that I would say I have more skill, I think I just got lucky on that one cause the other 15-20 attempts I failed completely.

Let me know if you wanna hit it up again I would be down to come out a ride the trail again.

Glutton for punishment

Were you out there yesterday?

Nate,

Were you out sessioning that spot yesterday morning? I was with the group of 6 who came down the hill and stopped to session a bit. I was the guy on the 29er who popped the tire right after cleaning the turn. I've got a video of it, pretty funny.

Nice tough section.

SN

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottN
    Nate,

Were you out sessioning that spot yesterday morning? I was with the group of 6 who came down the hill and stopped to session a bit. I was the guy on the 29er who popped the tire right after cleaning the turn. I've got a video of it, pretty funny.

Nice tough section.

SN
    Yes that was me. I have the black and silver Diamondback XSL. I had the blue helmet on.

You should post up the vid of you popping the tire.

Where did you guys start your ride from to be coming down trail 8 the way you were?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice vid Mike, went well with my coffee!

Members who have read this thread: 0