EXTERRA ROCK HOPPER - Offroad Sprint Tri (swim, mtb, trail run) - Tempe/Papago 10/12- Mtbr.com
    Addicted to 2 wheels

EXTERRA ROCK HOPPER - Offroad Sprint Tri (swim, mtb, trail run) - Tempe/Papago 10/12

I did this a couple years ago and it was fun. It helped to focus on some other endurance activities to not burn out. They are finally bringing the race back. I am planning to do it. Anyone else interested?

Xterra Rock Hopper| 4 Peaks Racing

Oct 12th

It's time to tear up the trails in Papago Park with XTERRA Rock Hopper, a truly urban triathlon in Tempe Town Lake. This 1000m swim, 13 mile bike and 3.5 mile trail run will offer a challenge to all levels of triathlete. Athletes that participate in this event will have opportunity to earn points towards the 2015 XTERRA National Championship.

COST

$69 until midnight August 10
    $79 until midnight September 14
    $89 until 6:00 p.m. October 11
    $100 on race day

Racer amenities:
    Tech shirt
    Goodie bag
    Post-race party at Montiís
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 07-24-2014 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, maybe next year for me. Too late for me to add running and swimming into my schedule and still be competitve/survive. All my eggs are on climbing and altitude for Fire on the Rim this year.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Addicted to 2 wheels
    You are in it to win it.

I figure with a month between both races, I will be solid on lungs and heart, and I can then have a full month to throw in a swim and a run in every week. I figure I can put up a respectable finish.

Last time I did this, I sucked at the swim, but was picking people off on the bike like fish in a barrel, until I got two flats. Event with that, I finished about mid pack.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Anybody else doing this? I have one buddy doing it. Might be swimming at Saguaro this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'm thinking about this but never done an open water swim. Anyone know if the water will cold enough for wetsuits? The tempe lake temp according to the website is pretty warm right now.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I did it 2 years ago with no wet suit. Temp was fine. They would not even allow suits. You are faster with them on, but it would take a bit more time to transition. I will not run one, mainly because I don't own one, and have no desire to rent.

I prefer open water to pools. Crowd swimming can freak you out the first time more than anything. If you can swim a pool you will be fine though. PM me your phone number if you want more details or advice on open water vs pool.

mtbr member
    I was planning on this this year but as it turns out I am getting back form the family vacation the day before so decided it was a bad idea after a flight back from Kona

mtbr member
    Storms halt Town Lake steel-dam construction

Tempe has cancelled the swim portions of races due to funk in the lake from all of the storms we have been getting. No word yet if this one will be scrubbed...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I posted the question on the promoters FB page. I would be cool with longer bike and run sections if the swim was canceled.