Every kid should have a bmx bike. Help needed.- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Every kid should have a bmx bike. Help needed.

My son has Kona Hula mtb but is outgrowing it quickly. He really wants a bmx bike. It makes sense. His friends have bmx bikes and it's good for around the hood, plus there are some jumps built up within riding distance of our house.

I know nothing about bmx bikes but this bike looks like a good start. The website says it's more of a dj/trail bike rather than a freestyle bike. That's what he wants. It only has a rear brake but I guess that's normal.

Anyway the Backtrail XO is $239 but the shop has a X3 for too much money ($369). The X3 is light, I think. It's a lot lighter than his buddies Haro.

Anyway my questions are: Is 29-30lbs reasonable for this type of bike and is the XO good for what we want? Do I need to be aware of gearing or TT length or anything?
    He's about 107lbs and 5'2'' FWIW.

http://dnacycles.com/itemdetails.cfm?LibId=40442
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009
    **Warning the last BMX bike I purchased as 10 years ago so my knowledge is dated (but I still own it and ride it from time to time)**

Seems kind of heavy for a BMX bike. What's with the pegs too? That's freestyle gear.

There are always good cheap (and barely used) BMX bikes on craigs list. I suggest you buy used and get 10 times the bike for less cost.

Yes the one brake is standard, frame sizing is all about how it feels for the rider (pretty standard though), nothing special about gearing (get what speed works for cruising). BMX bikes are a lot less complicated than mountain/road... SS or not. They are made to jump and are not that different (from one to another). It's more about style and taste.

EDR
    I checked out CL but nothing caught my eye too much. I saw a number of bikes but the ones for $100 or so were old and needed parts and the ones for $175 or so were plenty used and only a bit cheaper than what the XO is brand new.

I'll look again though. And as far as weight the "light' bmx Haros seem to be 27lbs or so, but they cost a butt load more (new). The listed weight range seems to be from 27 to 35lbs, that's why I think a 30lb bike seems reasonable, but i'm not sure. Oh, the pegs...I think thats pretty common, even if a bike doesn't warrant them. Stupid 'looks-cool' selling point to the kids I'm guessing.

Thanks!

Pivotal figure
    Pegs are pretty common on BMX bikes now and don't really add that much to the overall cost. More of a selling point for sure but nice to have if he feels like doing some street riding (get ready for some sweet tickets there ). The weight is decent for a jumping type of bike, low weight is more of a racing feature unless you spend a lot more $$ for a light frame that can handle some abuse. I'm a big fan of Haro btw, nice bikes with a wide range of pricing.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mr. wonderful
    You might want to check out Gordy's on W. TBird before you buy to see a good selection and broad range of bikes. I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and ended up buying an Eastern Ace of Spades for my daughter. It's been a great all-rounder, but more in the $400+ range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    that bike posted looks more like a freestyle bike to me. Maybe I misunderstood your original post but I believe your looking for a DJ or trail bike. Those bike usually dont come with pegs or the gyro style front headset as thats for street freestyle tail whips and bar twists and what not. maybe I'm a bit dated too but my last one I built from the ground up and was over $1100 into it. I wanted it to be light but built to take dirtjumping. it was my all around bike as I used to race on it too. I say go to any LBS and see what they have and talk to a store rep and ask them exactly what your looking for. Good luck!!

mtbr member

dont

dont buy the haro.
    ive been riding bmx for about 10 years now. and hve worked at bikes shops all my life. the haro is heavy and way over bulit. buy a fit trl1 more expensive but well worth it. and if you cant spend that amount of money. check out Kink,eastern and miraco bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would also recommend Fit.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    there are a few specialized fuse 3 's on CL. I had a fuse2 and it was a good bike and came with good parts. I would get him a 24 inch bmx. He will have more fun on it. They are faster and fit better when riding.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

EDR
    I say go to any LBS and see what they have and talk to a store rep and ask them exactly what your looking for. Good luck!!
    I went to one close by. That's how I ended up looking at the X3 or X0. I asked dude what the difference was between a jump and freestyle bike but he didn't really have any great answer. Just generic stuff like "jump bike has one brake and a dirt specific front tire for landing" kinda stuff. Never mind the fact you can spin the bars all the way around and it has pegs on it, agian, maybe that's just the way all bmx bikes are these days.

Anyhow, I'll look more into the Fit bikes and Eastern. These frames are really pulling me out of the low price range I wanted to stay in so we'll see about CL as well. As far as 24'' bmx goes, hadn't even thought of that avenue as all the kids seem to be on little bikes.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Personally, I'd keep him on a 20"er. The 20 will help him develope his bike handling skills and he'll be able to throw it around easier once he's used to it. I think the 24 will be a little too big for him. I'm 30 and ride a 21" tt BMX, fits me just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by QCdirtbag
    Personally, I'd keep him on a 20"er. The 20 will help him develope his bike handling skills and he'll be able to throw it around easier once he's used to it. I think the 24 will be a little too big for him. I'm 30 and ride a 21" tt BMX, fits me just fine.
    I agree a 20 is where bmx is at. Stay with a 20 and your price range. yes there are better bike but there will always be better bikes! I'd check out those other brands reccomended but I like the sound "overbuilt". Your son will get used to it and be able to ride it well once used to it. May not be the fastest but I was taught there will always be someone bigger, badder and stronger willing to whoop me....

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, actually the Haro's prices are unbeatable.
    I'd get the first one that had no Rotor, has a brake, and has micro drive (small gears).
    And then I'd pick one that I liked the look of.
    Look at Danscomp.com... tons of options in your price range.

Teach the boy to Manual.. the most important thing to learn.. same for the MTB.

EDR
    All good advice. We'll stick with a 20'' bike, and I'll think I'll take EPDP99 and jperson's advice and stick with my price range.

thks

mtbr member
    go to danscomp.com. lots of bmx bikes and stuff to look at there. good prices, and lets you see what is out there. go with a top tube of 20.5 to 21inches so your boy has some growing room. the bike shown is not freestyle but would make a fine jumper. the grinding pegs are for street riding and the brake gyro is for bar spin tricks. i just sold my standard 250s. i have a 24inch free agent jumper though, so i cant hook you up just now. free agent makes a decent bike the money. 25 to 32 pounds is normal for weight good luck!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    This one gets recommended a lot as a good deal, Kink Gap..
    http://www.danscomp.com/101678.php?cat=BIKES

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    This one gets recommended a lot as a good deal, Kink Gap..
    http://www.danscomp.com/101678.php?cat=BIKES

About the gearing on that bike(micro drive I guess)...seems like not a good set up for riding around the neighborhood. Am I wrong? I noticed some on that site have large front rings.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    The gear ratio is the same.. it gives you mega clearance tho.

Braaaapp!
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    The gear ratio is the same.. it gives you mega clearance tho.
    Yup. BMX standard used to be around 44/16, or a 2.75:1 ratio.

25/9 gives 2.78:1 ratio, close enough. This is done for weight savings and sprocket clearance for grinds.

EDR
    Ahh. Makes sense now.

Members who have read this thread: 0