Estrella Regional Park to host meeting THIS Thursday (Oct 6) at 6:30- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Estrella Regional Park to host meeting THIS Thursday (Oct 6) at 6:30

The newly formed West Valley Trail Alliance (WVTA) is inviting ALL interested parties to the meeting with Estrella Mountain Regional Park. The Estrella Regional Park has one of the lowest attendance ratings in the Phoenix area (if not the lowest). We want to change this and support our park systems. We encourage all riders, hikers, equestrian groups to attend this meeting. This is to support our park system. Please make plans to attend. More information is below:

County to review Estrella Mountain Regional Park Trails Master Plan
    (Goodyear) – The Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department will be reviewing the Estrella Mountain Regional Park Trails Master Plan to ensure that the park has an adequate trail system in place to support increased future use.
    The plan, originally developed in 1998, will be reviewed for potential growth opportunities that align with Parks Department’s mission and to determine whether the current trail system meets the needs of park visitors. If the plan does not meet these needs, possible amendments to the Trails Master Plan may include modifications to existing trails or the identification of new trails.

To download a copy of the current trails system map, visit Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County.
    Individuals unable to attend the public meeting may provide feedback in writing via email to Teresa Retterbush at teresaretterbush@mail.maricopa.gov.

The Department is inviting members of the community to provide feedback on potential amendments to the Trails Master Plan to include possible new trails, new entrances, new amenities to the park. This

Where: Estrella Mountain Regional Park Nature Center, Estrella Mountain Regional Park
    Address: 14805 West Vineyard Avenue, Goodyear, AZ

No Clue Crew
    Considering how HUGE the Estrella Mountain range is and how very little trails there really are on it this could be a good opportunity to have the mountain expanded with some interest towards MTBing. Imaging if we could get some trails all the way to the top of that mountain. Would that be some fun shuttling! Yeah, I know that'll never happen but it'd be good to have our voice heard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Considering how HUGE the Estrella Mountain range is and how very little trails there really are on it this could be a good opportunity to have the mountain expanded with some interest towards MTBing. Imaging if we could get some trails all the way to the top of that mountain. Would that be some fun shuttling! Yeah, I know that'll never happen but it'd be good to have our voice heard.
    big0mike never say never.

Like mjpeters said Estrella is the least attended park in Maricopa County. THE PARK MORE THAN EVER WANTS TO HEAR US OUT! The park has tons of potential and we can turn that around! WVTA has been meeting regularly for a few months and we have been emailing back and forth constantly discussing how we can help turn Estrella into a Premier MTB Destination. That means something for everybody (XC, All Mountain, Downhill, Slopestyle, Pump Track, Skills Area, 4X, BMX...).

Are you tired of drooling on the internet over what other cities and states are doing? Are you tired of planning 10+ hour mtb trips or don't have the money to do so? Have you ever wanted to help progress our sport? Would you like to help design, build, and maintain trails, tracks, or jumps?

NOW IS THE TIME TO BE A PART OF SOMETHING GREAT!

PLEASE COME OUT AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!

It's only an hour!

mtbr member
    This meeting is a BIG deal. Any mountain biker that gives a damn about trail access and showing support for our passion should be at this meeting. Estrella Mountain Park has huge potential not only to add some trails, but become an MTB destination. As you may or may not be aware, there are some pretty awesome (currently illegal) trails in the park, in addition to the race loops and the old trail system. This meeting is the beginning steps to legitimize the illegal trail system and incorporate at least parts of it into the master trail plan. WVTA (West Valley Trail Alliance) seeks to help this process along and encourages all potential trail users to attend the meeting...this meeting is not just for West Valley people, you East Valley folks should try to attend as well. There is potential in the trail system to hook up Estrella Mountain Park and South Mountain...how cool would that be? See you there!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by ROrtiz10 View Post
    PLEASE COME OUT AND SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!

It's only an hour!
    I consider it a good day when I get home from work before 9p. No way I'll be able to make a 6:30p meeting as much as I'd like to.

mtbr member
    I hope that I can make it. It'll be a photo finish, and I'll have a future rider in tow to help with the head count! I heard that this could have an impact on improvements in the white tanks as well, which would be great, considering that is my back yard. I just hope that those 'not so legal' trails get added to the system. For those of you who haven't ridden them, they are some of the best trails around, and they appeal to everyone. Cleaning PAW on my bike is on my bucket list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I hiked the Estrella trails today ( the old MTB race loops) And yes I still ride them offten. I think if the Park had some trails for MTB riders and hikers only ( No horses ). More people would ride the trails. As I was hiking today, you can see how the park has clean up some trails and see how the horse riders chew them back up. There is a lot of good areas for trails out in the park ( My favorite trail is the Butterfield trail back to the parking lot) If A trail system could be built to have a nice 8 mile loop that didn't consist of old jeeep roads and single track that horses chewed up. This Park would be a great place to ride again. This park has better Mountain ranges and better terrain (less rock) than the PIR course and I rather ride and hike at the the main park than the PIR race loops. Riders don't want to ride Jeep roads or service roads. Its all about the smooth fast single track for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    I hope that I can make it. It'll be a photo finish, and I'll have a future rider in tow to help with the head count! I heard that this could have an impact on improvements in the white tanks as well, which would be great, considering that is my back yard. I just hope that those 'not so legal' trails get added to the system. For those of you who haven't ridden them, they are some of the best trails around, and they appeal to everyone. Cleaning PAW on my bike is on my bucket list.
    Nice! The more the better! Ryan Brown and I had a meeting with Ray at White Tank a few weeks ago. He saw that the McDowell Pump Track aka McPump won an award and was interested in building one in the corner of the competitive loop parking lot. So that's great!

...and about those beloved Eastern Trails. Cross your fingers folks. Hopefully they won't be so Secret soon. Haha!

tysonnemb don't worry. We'll have plenty of work to do here in the near future. So you'll be able to check some items off your list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    i will be at the meeting, really hope we can get another pumptrack and maybe even so illegit dirt jumps

mtbr member
    Some will not be able to make it due to work/fam but so many of us mountain bikers CAN! West valley, east valley, north Phoenix, south mountain area - this is about trail access for mountain bikers, this is about more riding opportunities in our city, like Rortiz commented earlier, the potential is there. Why should our only pump track be at McDowell? Why, with all these mountains, do we not have an official freeride course in the city? (the luge would be somewhat of a good start) Let's support the park and let them know there is some real revenue for them if they support our ideas. let's make the west valley the new hot spot for mountain biking. Lets let them know that the numbers are real. If you are a mountain biker in the Phoenix area and can free yourself of any work or family commitments for a small time on Thursday evening be there, all possible support is essential! Ride on

mtbr member

Trails-Meeting Oct. 6th & "Riding-Over."

Gang:

I am riding to this ALL IMPORTANT meeting Thursday Night.
    * Eileen is driving over.

If you'd like to pedal-over (and I'll have at least one long-cable to lock up the bikes with) with us, plesae be here to our-house before 6:00 pm -- as the Garage-Door IS CLOSING at 6:00.

Please try and attend this meeting.

Brian "Harvey" Roberts
    cell = (623) 256-3993
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Team Tortuga
    Good luck to all who attend. Make strong points to support our cause!

I will be missing this one because the newest member of my family will be delivered that morning so Harv let my voice be heard as well!

Long Live Secret! (aka La Luge)
    I ride uphill for the view.....that and the return back down!

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by crAZy Irish View Post
    Long Live Secret! (aka La Luge)
    I need some of you guys to show me around there! All I know of are the competitive tracks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I need some of you guys to show me around there! All I know of are the competitive tracks...
    big0mike - I would be happy to show you around some more trails in the Estrella's, but unless we are successful working with the Park to incorporate The Luge and other trails, you may never get a chance to enjoy them. The trails are strictly off-limits at this time; they have been fenced and covered by Park authorities and entrance points are allegedly being watched by authorities. Hopefully we will have success and get this resolved soon. When that happens, we will post up and get you out there for a group ride.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    big0mike - I would be happy to show you around some more trails in the Estrella's, but unless we are successful working with the Park to incorporate The Luge and other trails, you may never get a chance to enjoy them. The trails are strictly off-limits at this time; they have been fenced and covered by Park authorities and entrance points are allegedly being watched by authorities. Hopefully we will have success and get this resolved soon. When that happens, we will post up and get you out there for a group ride.
    Wow, had no idea these trails were being controlled so strictly. Keep us posted...

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by azokie View Post
    not to kick a bees nest,

Is LUGE actually fenced off? According to the County Maps, I believe the LUGE is still on private property not Maricopa County. I have never ridden it, my lawyer and parole officer advised against it. So my question is why are these trails being watched?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanseeds View Post
    not to kick a bees nest,

Is LUGE actually fenced off? According to the County Maps, I believe the LUGE is still on private property not Maricopa County. I have never ridden it, my lawyer and parole officer advised against it. So my question is why are these trails being watched?
    Access to the "Not-So-Secret Luge" is blocked off from the top. The bottom is still open which will enable you to ride "up" the Luge and then back down the way you came up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpeters4 View Post
    Access to the "Not-So-Secret Luge" is blocked off from the top. The bottom is still open which will enable you to ride "up" the Luge and then back down the way you came up.
    mjpeters is correct. The entrances to the Park proper where rogue trails cross in have been fenced and are being watched. Access within the park to said offensive trails have been blocked with debris and rocks. The trails outside the Park proper are still accessible, but in all cases (I think) would be an up and back.

The point is, we want to get this fixed for everybody to enjoy. Please come to the meeting. As per the Estrella Park website, individuals unable to attend the public meeting may provide feedback in writing via email to Teresa Retterbush at teresaretterbush@mail.maricopa.gov

Thanks for your support!

mtbr member
    Better yet, just stay off the eastern trails whether they lie in the park land or not until after the meeting and we get the go-ahead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'll be coming check it out. I don't get a chance to ride there often, living in Tempe. I did a race at the loops by PIR, years ago. I'd hate to see trails shut down, that I haven't even had a chance to ride yet!

Don't believe the Hype...
    bump
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Shred...it's the new drug
    Wish I could make it tonight...hopefully things all go well!!! Get some West Siders!!!

mtbr member
    I really appreciate everyones support for our efforts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    Wish I could make it tonight...hopefully things all go well!!! Get some West Siders!!!
    I know when it's time to dig you'll rally the GRO Troops

EJC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anything positive as result of meeting?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    Anything positive as result of meeting?
    I think tonight was the first step in a rather lengthy process. The dialogue is now open between the MTB user group and the Park concerning the trails in question. The park is definitely willing to build new trails, improve existing, add entry points to the park, pump tracks, gravity trails, etc...all good stuff, but the big question still remains concerning the Western boundary trails. It will take some negotiation and open-mindedness on both sides to try and work this out. I'm sure many mountain bikers were disappointed, but this is typical bureaucracy at work. They have a book of codes and guidelines they are bound to...we have to figure out mechanisms within the code that will work to our benefit. Any ideas or experience working with State, County, or City parks would be helpful.

Just a rider...
    Nov 2009
    I was there and not to contradict azokie (although I might), I believe that he is being overly optimistic about the western boundary trails. Granted, I did not stay until the very end of the meeting, I only stayed until people started asking the same questions that had been answered before for the 3rd and 4th time, but it was very clear to me that:

1) The western boundary trails are not going to become part of the official trails anytime in the foreseeable future. I believe the wording was "cannot allow as it would set a precedence for all maricopa county parks".

2) The park is willing to have input on other trails to be developed in the park.

3) Some people cannot understand the word "no".

So azokie, your wording about the "big question" can you please explain what part of "cannot allow" you are questioning?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bskarasek View Post

So azokie, your wording about the "big question" can you please explain what part of "cannot allow" you are questioning?
    bskarasek - First, I want to thank you for coming to the meeting and showing your support just by being there. Yes, you are correct the speaker did say several times they did not want to "set precedence". He was never going to say in that public meeting, "sure guys the trails look great, lets green tag them". He had to say "no" because there are no trail studies, or any other official data for him to even think about approving the trails. That public forum was only a discussion and no decisions were made. Will the trails ever be approved exactly as they are now? With near certainty, I can say "no". Is there a chance to salvage part of the trails and incorporate some re-routes? I think that is a distinct possibility. A gentleman brought up a great point late in the meeting that it appeared the Park was taking a "punitive" approach, rather than a "practical" approach. It was stated in the meeting that building "trail" costs an average of $20K per mile. These trails are already built, but need to pass the "trail building" criteria set forth by the Park. I think a practical approach would be to work with the Park, progress with the trail studies and see what kind of data comes back.