Estrella Long loop VS ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Estrella Long loop VS ???

I live close by the Long loop at Estrella and have been on it a few times, I am a west valleyer, and want to know how does the long loop complare to SOMO's or other areas trails.

I've been out to Mcdowell including the Pemberton and White tanks frequently.

I find the long loop one rocky tough, sandy course that just does not give a break.

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim361
    I live close by the Long loop at Estrella and have been on it a few times, I am a west valleyer, and want to know how does the long loop complare to SOMO's or other areas trails.

I've been out to Mcdowell including the Pemberton and White tanks frequently.

I find the long loop one rocky tough, sandy course that just does not give a break.
    I agree, Estrella is a tough trail. Estrella has it's moments and keeps you on your toes but just doesn't offer anything close to what you can ride Somo. I guess I'd compare Desert Classic and the East/West Loops to Estrella, all of which is a way better ride than Estrella. Everything in the valley is smooth in comparison to Estrella (at least the beginner/intermediate trails), I won't say that Estrella is more technical overall but it is defintely annoying with all it's loose rocks and sand. The trails at Somo flow better, with equal fun payouts to the effort that goes in, Estrella seems to let you down after all the work you put into it.

Post up when you're going to ride it again sometime...I might be in for refresher ride because it's been so long since I've rode it that I can't recall everything that sucks about it.
    07 GF Rig

mtbr member
    I was there at Estrella yesterday for the dust devil race, it was my first time on the course. The traction, especially during the climbs, is not the best. I saw many a riders walking their bikes up on some hills. I never have seen this much loose rocks/sand/dirt before in this area.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Yep, everything Umbrous said. It just doesn't flow like other trails in the valley. But when I find myself at my in-laws over a weekend, I head out there for a ride. I usually ride the techy loop then the long loop. It's actually fun for me b/c I only ride it once in a great while. I ride SoMo all the time and know it by heart so it can be a little boring. I'm still learning that trail system so it still surprises me with all the tight cornering.

I'll be in the WV all 4 days for Turkey Day weekend and will hit the Estrellas a few times if anyone is interested in hooking up, let me know.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

CrazyEye
    It's the closest trail to my house but I hardly ever go there either. It's just not very fun. I like the fact there is only one way to go, so I can time myself and see how long it takes me. But you should check out FINs at Estrella Mountain Ranch. It's by far the best system on the west side. and should be real close to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEye
    It's the closest trail to my house but I hardly ever go there either. It's just not very fun. I like the fact there is only one way to go, so I can time myself and see how long it takes me. But you should check out FINs at Estrella Mountain Ranch. It's by far the best system on the west side. and should be real close to you.

---Harv and gang luv-you-Crazy_Eye -- NOT seen MUCH of you in like 6 - 8 months???

* NOT that WE "talk" of such things as that phychotic-Crazy-Eye brought up here. (taboo-taboo, "pass me the wives-tail-salt and hairless-toad-spray.....), but....

* * IM me, I'll reply, and we'll ride for FUN. You can train on something not quite so bland/abrassive/mundane.

My cell is = (623) 256-3993 But before 9:00 pm please. We're parents now, and as "old-folks" we're often hitting the hey by/before 9:30 pm... Oiy Vey... Yeah, we're lame. I sadly admit it...

Harv out.
    Brian "Harvey" Roberts

Members who have read this thread: 0