mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Escaping the wet - heading to Tucson

It looks like the trails may be wet for the next couple of weeks in coastal California and I'm thinking of escaping for a few days in Tucson. What would folks recommend these days for an old (60ish) intermediate rider on a short travel FS bike (Tallboy 3)? Just for comparison - last fall in Utah I had fun on blue level trails like the Hurricane Rim and Navajo Rocks, but am not looking for challenges way beyond that level. I'm open to other areas between Tucson and CA if they're must-sees, but I've always liked the Tucson scenery and that seems like my preferred destination for now.

Thanks a bunch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    It looks like the trails may be wet for the next couple of weeks in coastal California and I'm thinking of escaping for a few days in Tucson. What would folks recommend these days for an old (60ish) intermediate rider on a short travel FS bike (Tallboy 3)? Just for comparison - last fall in Utah I had fun on blue level trails like the Hurricane Rim and Navajo Rocks, but am not looking for challenges way beyond that level. I'm open to other areas between Tucson and CA if they're must-sees, but I've always liked the Tucson scenery and that seems like my preferred destination for now.

Thanks a bunch.
    The 50 Year trail and connecting trails are some great intermediate trails in Tucson. Beautiful scenery too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The various AZ Trail segments south east if town are great for that as well!

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    Ridgeline trail in the Torts. A sweet loop. Check out Trailforks, its a tad easier coming from the east side.
    That or 50 year or any part of the AZT

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I would say you should hit up the az trail and start at pistol hill

suvlako
    If you need someone to show you around, give Homegrownmtb.com a shout. 50yr is tremendous but you'll want to do it the "right way" to get the most out of it.

mtbr member
    Sweetwater is mostly intermediate.

Just keep in mind that most Tucson area trails have at least an occasional section that is more advanced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Honey Bee Canyon north of town. Beginner, with some rock gardens mixed in, and if ridden more aggressively + available loop mileage = intermediate. Its the lower foothills trails to Ridgeline referenced above. FYI - Honey Bee is very close to 50 year Trail, so back to back days are easy without a lot of driving. If riding 50yr. Id suggest skipping segment right out of Catalina state park. A few weeks ago I rode it for the first time. First 4 or 5 miles had a lot of loose rock sections from heavy horse traffic. That coupled with the wider track, Id recommend skipping.