Elephant Head Rocks!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good job! Elephant Head Rocks!!

A few pics from Saturday at Elephant head. Lots of rocks as usual, and great weather. The scenery there is awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by twowheelsdown2002; 02-02-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Not at the table,Carlos!
    Where is Elephant head? Never head of it.

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by jusflo
    Where is Elephant head? Never head of it.
    Santa Rita Mtns, south of Tucson.

Great pics. Definitely a beautiful area (Chino Canyon esp). Are the pads for rocks or cat claw?
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

oooh, shiny...
    Sweet pics, thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Santa Rita Mtns, south of Tucson.

Great pics. Definitely a beautiful area (Chino Canyon esp). Are the pads for rocks or cat claw?
    Both

The rocks are always present, but also the cat claw, I always come away with lots of scratches. Even if you don't crash, the armor at least keeps away the cat claw.

Take Continental exit to Madera canyon, then Proctor road. At the end, the trail starts. Lots of baby heads to roll over, and great scenery. After the single track, you can take an old jeep road all the way to a radio tower. The single track makes you tired from all the body english it takes to get through the rocks.

This trail is out away from everything which is part of what makes it fun. There are plenty of rocky technical climbs, and great vistas. The downhill my girlfriend is going down in the pics is a very good uphill challenge. I was proud of myself for clearing it from bottom to top. If you live nearby, it is well worth the drive. It only takes about 30 minutes from Tucson, to get there.

mtbr member
    There's a race there, The Elephant Head Mountain Bike Challenge, late spring/early summer. Pretty well run for a newer event
    The race starts from the other side of the trail. Parking at the Mt. Hopkins observatory's lower lot and facility.

Members who have read this thread: 0