Elden lookout road improvement.- Mtbr.com
    bland

Elden lookout road improvement.

I talked to the engineer in charge of the road crew for the FS, my former boss, today as I was going up the lookout road. He said that starting this week or next week they will be hauling in fill to smooth out a mile of the road. The part they will be working on begins right before the corner that upper onion comes out on and ends before the really tore up part. He said the FS is paying for this mile and they are going to try to get the radio tower owners to pay for the last section of road. He hopes that the entire road will get worked on by the end of the year but it is up to the radio folks to front the cash.

He also said that the radio people blame the DH shuttle crowd for the bad road conditions. He blames the radio folks because they plow the road with a bulldozer in the winter leaving 6' walls of snow on each side which causes the water to run down the road and not in the the drainage.

I hope the radio people come through with the cash. If the worst happens to sunrise that road will be seeing a lot of extra use.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Great to hear! Lots of use this weekend...it's actually in better condition that I remember it last year

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is good news! Summer time is getting that much sweeter!

AZ Mountain Biking Member
    Been up here all week and only made the trek to the top of elden because of that road. Kudos to the FS for stepping up.

Kinda off topic but since i am here, we've had a hard time locating the quick and flowy downhill runs on the mtn. Weve hit schultz, PR, Jedi, the AZ Trail on the west side of Schultz, etc. The jedi and PR stuff is super fun but nothing that you can really take at speed since its so technical. Is there anything that is fast and flowy like you would see in a bike park up here? If its too secret, PM me. I'll be up here all week and would love to get something else in while up here. Camped out on schultz pass rd so fairly accessible to trails from here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by niche77 View Post
    Been up here all week and only made the trek to the top of elden because of that road. Kudos to the FS for stepping up.

Kinda off topic but since i am here, we've had a hard time locating the quick and flowy downhill runs on the mtn. Weve hit schultz, PR, Jedi, the AZ Trail on the west side of Schultz, etc. The jedi and PR stuff is super fun but nothing that you can really take at speed since its so technical. Is there anything that is fast and flowy like you would see in a bike park up here? If its too secret, PM me. I'll be up here all week and would love to get something else in while up here. Camped out on schultz pass rd so fairly accessible to trails from here.
    Nothing really secret out there that would have what you're looking for. Certainly not like a bike park with one way trails. But coming down Dogtreat and Dogfood, Double Agent (Secret West), Sunset, and Aspen Corner to FS418 on the AZ trail are all big chainring fast and flowy descents. Otherwise, the trails are for the most part moderately technical and there is always a chance there are riders, hikers, and even horses coming up the same trail.

Kathleen in AZ

You need to hit Wasabi... super flowy with log drops and FUN!!! Also try Pickle and Prom Night if you want more super steep (but techy) fun.

Do you have Dale's map? http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=58&pos=0 The map will get you to the good stuff. I am with Traildoc and believe that the fun should be shared, not hidden.

Not on Dale's map is a newer trail called Double D which starts near the single diamond on Dale's map under the "Sunset Tr" name box and is also near "Sunset Park" marked in black. Basically, you need to drive (or ride) up to near the top of Elden road to the parking area where Upper Oldham spits out at it's highest elevation. Cross the street and head up the trail towards Sunset, but instead veer off to the left thru the grass and up the hill... you will see trampled grass from all the other DHers. Double D dumps you into Upper Wasabi and is WAY more fun that Upper Wasabi. Go for it and report back what you think!!

If there are other new flowy fast DH trails on Elden, I am unaware of them.

banned

77:

It is very secretive in Flagstaff us well as other places like Moab. Economicly Flagstaff is doing great and the tourist user experience isn't as important as areas like Sedona. The group in Flagstaff are really great guys and they have developed a world class trail system, but you really need to work at getting the super fun intel.

By the time you get some of it figured out it will time to head home. A lot of the riders in Sedona don't like the idea that most all the trails are posted, but I am one who believes that the stoke should be shared by EVERYONE. Our economy is hurting big time and we would appreciate your business even if you are just buying gas, which is usually some of the cheapest in the country.

I will probably loose a lot of rep points for this post, oh well. Thank God for freedom of speech. If you ever head to Moab, I can give you some great ideas on trails to ride there also. A lot of the secret trails there are finally coming into the system. Looking forward to helimech's report of how his trip went.

TD

No mames guey
    I would propose that those in Flagstaff aren't being secretive about the shred. Instead, maybe there isn't a trail that fits the description of something that isn't technical that you can take at high speed. Yes, you can go balls deep on Sunset, Little Gnarly, and even Shultz, but most wouldn't describe those as downhill runs like those in a bike park. As someone that already hit PR, Jedi, any recommendations for Wasabi, Pickle, Prom Night, etc. would be seen as more tech.

I would say that the Flagstaff omerta theory isn't fully accurate.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    I would propose that those in Flagstaff aren't being secretive about the shred. Instead, maybe there isn't a trail that fits the description of something that isn't technical that you can take at high speed. Yes, you can go balls deep on Sunset, Little Gnarly, and even Shultz, but most wouldn't describe those as downhill runs like those in a bike park. As someone that already hit PR, Jedi, any recommendations for Wasabi, Pickle, Prom Night, etc. would be seen as more tech.

I would say that the Flagstaff omerta theory isn't fully accurate.
    73:

Sounds like it is time to leave Flagstaff since there isn't anything fast and flowy, accept Sunset, Little Gnarly and Shultz. The backside to Highline is pretty fun, fast and flowy, but it isn't like an A Line or Dirt Merchant.

TD

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    73:

Sounds like it is time to leave Flagstaff since there isn't anything fast and flowy, accept Sunset, Little Gnarly and Shultz. The backside to Highline is pretty fun, fast and flowy, but it isn't like an A Line or Dirt Merchant.

TD
    Thanks for the entertainment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jedi and PR are actually pretty fast. Try Wasabi, it's the closest thing to what your looking for.

The .05 percent
    Thank goodness we have Dale's map. don't really know how I would plan my weekend without it
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Thank goodness we have Dale's map. don't really know how I would plan my weekend without it
    sin:

It's nice when you have all the trail knowledge ahy? No, second guessing what trails to ride to do a great loop, and get the most bang for your climbing effort.

Now that I have printed my new Sedona maps my trail intel requests have deminished, but maybe that's due to the increase in temperature and less activity.

TD

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

And gone before too many people start going crazy...
    Last edited by pwrtrainer; 06-10-2011 at 11:50 AM.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I don't foresee the road staying improved for long.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    sin:

It's nice when you have all the trail knowledge ahy? No, second guessing what trails to ride to do a great loop, and get the most bang for your climbing effort.

Now that I have printed my new Sedona maps my trail intel requests have deminished, but maybe that's due to the increase in temperature and less activity.

TD
    One way to look at it, or another is traveling in places that I can get plugged into easily without the help of a GPS and a lap top. Maybe I am just old school, but that is how we did it in the 'ol days. Also really have a bad taste in my mouth when someone not from here takes it apon themself to GPs all the trails that have been worked on over the years, re-name several of them and post them on-line. Go ask your local group of Groms if you can GPS their secret dirt jumps and post them on the net, you may be surprides with their reluctance. That is all, I will get off my soapbox. All this is a mute point now that we are goin legit anyways...
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I don't foresee the road staying improved for long.
    Why? And anything is a improvement over what it is like.
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B View Post
    The summer monsoon thunderstorm season will quickly make mincemeat of much of it. Many of the steep sections are fall line without outsloping and ways for surface water flow to shed to the side rather than running down the road. Perhaps a civil engineer could chime in here but seems like they could pave the really steep sections. An example I can think of is the upper Sand Flats road in Moab where they only paved the steep sections. Steep enough in parts up to LPS that many riders HAB even though it's paved
    Last edited by rockman; 06-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by A.P.B View Post
    The road has a curse on it.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    [hurp] 'scuse me.

just threw up in my mouth a little..
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The summer monsoon thunderstorm season will quickly make mincemeat of much of it. Many of the steep sections are fall line without outsloping and ways for surface water flow to shed to the side rather than running down the road. Perhaps a civil engineer could chime in here but seems like they could pave the really steep sections. An example I can think of is the upper Sand Flats road in Moab where they only paved the steep sections. Steep enough in parts up to LPS that many riders HAB even though it's paved
    Your right, a good burst over Elden and any work would be quickly removed, partial pavement is an idea I haven't heard or thought of, something to think about.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    The summer monsoon thunderstorm season will quickly make mincemeat of much of it. Many of the steep sections are fall line without outsloping and ways for surface water flow to shed to the side rather than running down the road.
    Exactly, any gravel placed over the road will quickly run down the side of the road and across it into the washes. This is exactly why I bought bigger tires for my truck
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Forest Service is closing the road this week and part of next week for work but will be open Fri thru Sunday while they are not working. This sure is good news for shuttlers on Elden. I just read this on Flag biking's facebook page and I thought I would share it.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    The Forest Service is closing the road this week and part of next week for work but will be open Fri thru Sunday while they are not working. This sure is good news for shuttlers on Elden. I just read this on Flag biking's facebook page and I thought I would share it.
    Awesome ! I'm anxious to see what they do to it !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m77ranger View Post
    I talked to the engineer in charge of the road crew for the FS, my former boss, today as I was going up the lookout road. He said that starting this week or next week they will be hauling in fill to smooth out a mile of the road. The part they will be working on begins right before the corner that upper onion comes out on and ends before the really tore up part. He said the FS is paying for this mile and they are going to try to get the radio tower owners to pay for the last section of road. He hopes that the entire road will get worked on by the end of the year but it is up to the radio folks to front the cash.

He also said that the radio people blame the DH shuttle crowd for the bad road conditions. He blames the radio folks because they plow the road with a bulldozer in the winter leaving 6' walls of snow on each side which causes the water to run down the road and not in the the drainage.

I hope the radio people come through with the cash. If the worst happens to sunrise that road will be seeing a lot of extra use.
    Any update to road work?
    JRA

banned
    Jun 2011
    Was up in Flag yesterday on Elden. Damn study your maps. There are so many trails. Fun hill. I would however like a tour guide next time. Probably took some unneeded turns, but nonetheless it was a blast.
    First timers, carb up, your going to need it. Great work out, but the down sections are worth it.
    Nice and cool yesterday 85.