elbow and knee pad recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

elbow and knee pad recommendations

I'm going to Moab in a few weeks and want to make sure i have some decent pads. I have some really old fox but I'm ready to upgrade. Does anyone have recommendations?

Vincit qui patitur
    I have Fox Launch Pro. Haven't crash tested them yet but they are fairly comfortable and stay in place. They have also been surprisingly cool in the mornings at SOMO.
    You can also wait until you get there and check with the guys at Poison Spider.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2017 Salsa Powderkeg
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy 29 C R

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    G-Form light and comfy. Gonna be hot in Moab so these are perfect.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member

elbow and knee pad recommendations

Race face ambush

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Poc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've tried several elbow pads, and I ended up with POC Bone VPD arms. The Fox Launch elbow pads I previously wore caused blunt force impacts to really hurt, and after several crashes on my elbows, I decided to abandon my Fox Launch elbow pads. Next, I ordered some Fox Titan elbow pads based on some recommendations here, but when I tried them on, they didn't offer the coverage I was looking for, so I returned them. Next up, I ordered some POC elbows, which looked like they offered substantially better coverage. Since then, I've crashed many times wearing the POC elbows, and I've felt no elbow/forearm pain. I also think most pads fall apart very quickly, and the POC pads seem to be more durable, although I did have to restitch one part.

As for knees, previously I've used 661 Kyle Straight knees(discontinued), and the original 661 Rage knees(the pad that took the place of the Kyle Straights in 661's lineup), and Fox Launch Pro knees. I loved the Kyle Straights, and even though the original Rage knees were not as good as the Kyle Straights(the plastic cup wasn't as beefy), the Rage knee pads still protected my knees perfectly in crashes. The Fox Launch Pro knees looked to be a substantial good quality pad, but in several crashes my left knee pad slid down my leg and exposed my knee to the trail resulting in deep abrasions, so I abandoned the Fox Launch Pro knee pads--even though they were very durable pads and looked almost like new.

I'm currently switching off between the new 661 Rage hard shell knees and POC vpd 2.0 knees. I couldn't tell any difference between the new 661 Rage soft v. hard shell versions as far as fit, flex, and weight; but when I rapped my knuckles on the soft shell version, it hurt a little, so I went with the hard shell version. The Rage hard shell knees are much lighter than the POCs, and for the money, I think they are a better deal. However, the velcro on my old Rage pads wore out, yet the pads still had plenty of life in them; and if you have to buy two sets of Rage pads to get the same life as one set of POC's, then it's a wash.

The first day I wore my POC knees, I was in Moab and I was going around a sharp downhill turn on Deadman's. My front wheel didn't make it through the turn, but I kept going over the bars, and I landed in the rocks. I sat there stunned for a few minutes, then I got up and checked for broken bones. I didn't feel any pain in my knees, and later I noticed a big scuff mark in the middle of one knee, so the POC knees passed the test. The POC elbows also protected my elbows perfectly in that crash.

I haven't had a significat crash wearing my Rage hard shell knees yet, but if they work as well as my previous Rage knees, then they will provide great protection. My one concern about the POC knees is that the VPD material thins out as it wraps around your knee, so the sides of your knees are covered by a thinner layer of the VPD material. The Rage knees have auxiliary pads on the sides of the knee to protect your knee from side impacts although you don't get the protection of the hard plastic shell like on the front of the knee.

As for knee-shin guards, I have some Fox Launch knee/shins that I really like, but they rub holes in my knees. Because I liked the POC Bone elbow pads so much, I ordered some POC Bone VPD legs, but when I strapped them on, they dug into the front of my ankles, so I returned them. I've tried on some Troy Lee Method knee shin guards, and they felt really comfortable.
    Last edited by happyriding; 08-14-2014 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    I only crash on my face and head, so I don't need them. My advice? Crash on face or head and save some cash for tattoos.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of One Industries Conflict. On sale at price point right now.
    ONE Industries Conflict Elbow Guards | One Industries
    ONE Industries Conflict Knee Guard | superior impact protection

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thank you!!